669written posts
NIGHTBLOOMearned bits
offlinecurrently
NIGHTBLOOM
Part of the Furniture
NIGHTBLOOM Avatar
so it goes.
citrinitas Avatar
i would like a new panfandom to be made. any will do. i just am afraid of stepping into an already established site since vibes and dynamics will already exist. (sweating)

I've been slowly making one based off of Dissidia... :'3

coming soon.
the narrative
aliasCel, Nightlock
pronounsShe/They
712written posts
CELearned bits
offlinecurrently
CEL
Part of the Furniture
CEL Avatar
mankind, be vigilant; we loved you.
a setting with similar vibes to masquerada: songs and shadows, dandy ace, the sexy brutale, or even just lyney & lynette's theming from fontaine. magic-fueled renaissance with glitz and glamor, circus carnival and venetian aesthetics. all that kinda stuff.

coming soon.
pronounshe/him
734written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
panfandom that lets u play with canon concepts

it's canon that in every other universe except for the main timeline, Garrosh Hellscream was a cool dude and a great hero. let me write that Garrosh. can't do it on my panfandom because i play Jaina Proudmoore in a position of power, and she would kill Garrosh on sight.

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
734written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
i feel like i remember someone talking about a deep space nine esque situation for a panfandom roleplay setting that would be rad as hell. it would lend itself really easily to a horror/mystery aspect as well. people wake up on this creepy ass station and/or are disappearing from it dun dun dun

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
okay
hear me out

i know this has been tossed around before, but like --

pokemon panfan when?

imagine your character/muse being dropped into an original region, and, they're presented with the decision of three pokeballs, which are actually starters, and have to pick one to start their journey.

would characters/muses have powers? that's a tricky one. i'd say.... no? if only because it takes away from the whole 'pokemon' aspect in my opinion. Like how unfair would it be for your muse/character to be going against another muse/character in a battle, and have to worry about both *the pokemon* and *the trainer* battling their pokemon. but then again, some characters, their whole appeal is the fact that they have special talents/abilities/magical transformations... so maybe that's something that could always be explored/hashed out?

Idk, this is just something i'd love to see around that's been sitting in my head rent-free, but I don't have the time or the sanity to run something so extensive. Pokemon sites are already a lot, and add that to being a panfandom... you'd need a dedicated moderating team and at least a five-stack staff. 
last edit on Jul 8, 2023 14:22:41 GMT by Deleted
pronounshe/him
734written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
i care less about the premise and more about the rules and app style when it comes to panfans tbh.

my thoughts for a pokemon panfan: system-light or no-system is best for pokemon RPs. anything more tends to lead to moderator burnout, which is why most of them don't last. i've been harping on "let members run catching threads for other members" since the dawn of time, and "just let people pick their own pokemon if they want to" for a while now. i think a lot of the ideas brought to system-heavy pokemon sites are fun, i just know from experience that they tend to lead to burnout and site death.

plus, the more weight you take off the systems, the more you'll find people elaborating on stuff *outside* the system aspect of Pokemon RP. if you make having eevee a relatively w/e thing, you're not going to get a lot of people screaming about getting eevees?

a system could be made, but it should be a super light system. like "just pay for a new mon of your choice" and "pay a small site currency to evolve your mons" light. that way there is basically no work on staff's part, and players can feel rewarded for just... RP'ing? instead of having to RP every part of their pokemon training? because that also burns out players.
last edit on Jul 8, 2023 14:45:00 GMT by illidan main

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
illidan main Avatar
i care less about the premise and more about the rules and app style when it comes to panfans tbh.

my thoughts for a pokemon panfan: system-light or no-system is best for pokemon RPs. anything more tends to lead to moderator burnout, which is why most of them don't last. i've been harping on "let members run catching threads for other members" since the dawn of time, and "just let people pick their own pokemon if they want to" for a while now. i think a lot of the ideas brought to system-heavy pokemon sites are fun, i just know from experience that they tend to lead to burnout and site death.

plus, the more weight you take off the systems, the more you'll find people elaborating on stuff *outside* the system aspect of Pokemon RP. if you make having eevee a relatively w/e thing, you're not going to get a lot of people screaming about getting eevees?

a system could be made, but it should be a super light system. like "just pay for a new mon of your choice" and "pay a small site currency to evolve your mons" light. that way there is basically no work on staff's part, and players can feel rewarded for just... RP'ing? instead of having to RP every part of their pokemon training? because that also burns out players.

I actually thought about doing this before, but I'm always scared someone would cheat the system. I just don't like all the heavy systems and mechanics that come with it. Like, I'm wanting to write in the world and develop my character(s) and their friendship with pokemon, not have to worry about experience/levels/math. That's just me though! I've been on a couple rp sites where it's slice of life, light systems, and it was great, but like you said, at one point or another, the admins/mods just get burnt out from events/pokemon spawns/stores, etc.

"a system could be made, but it should be a super light system. like "just pay for a new mon of your choice" and "pay a small site currency to evolve your mons" light."

I've done this before and it is chef's kiss because people are still earning their pokemon and evolutions and stuff, but like, there's less staff interaction, so it's more fun for everyone. I've had a lot of the same thoughts that you're putting down here, and have always felt like "Pokemon rping" needs a different approach overall then just like... a direct reflection of the games, if that makes sense.
last edit on Jul 8, 2023 15:10:24 GMT by Deleted
pronounshe/him
734written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
dreams Avatar
illidan main Avatar

I actually thought about doing this before, but I'm always scared someone would cheat the system. I just don't like all the heavy systems and mechanics that come with it. Like, I'm wanting to write in the world and develop my character(s) and their friendship with pokemon, not have to worry about experience/levels/math. That's just me though! I've been on a couple rp sites where it's slice of life, light systems, and it was great, but like you said, at one point or another, the admins/mods just get burnt out from events/pokemon spawns/stores, etc.

"a system could be made, but it should be a super light system. like "just pay for a new mon of your choice" and "pay a small site currency to evolve your mons" light."

I've done this before and it is chef's kiss because people are still earning their pokemon and evolutions and stuff, but like, there's less staff interaction, so it's more fun for everyone. I've had a lot of the same thoughts that you're putting down here, and have always felt like "Pokemon rping" needs a different approach overall then just like... a direct reflection of the games, if that makes sense.
tbh the harder your system, the more people are going to try to break it to get what they want. Give them no rules to break, and you'll find there's no way to power game.

which, everything u say u want, i feel, works extremely well with the Light System of just buying mons and evolutions. people who want to RP battles will still find ways to RP them, and people who just wanna do slice of life stuff can "progress" their character at their preferred pace.

i've considered making a Pokemon site with the light system and VGC rules (allowing legendaries but only 2 "restricted" ones and you have to buy those thru activity), just because i'm insane and wanna see a site where you could feasibly play with any pokemon design, but i don't have time. it comes from a deep desire to pet landorus-therian for all that he's done for me. the sites i would run if i had infinite time...

also i was gonna do a point-buy for character creation where different pokemon have different "tiers" of starting value based on game rarity/base stats/competitive viability. to kinda encourage some diversity in character creation, idk. a mon like incineroar would cost way more than a chikorita, for instance.
last edit on Jul 8, 2023 15:47:45 GMT by illidan main

540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
illidan main Avatar
dreams Avatar

tbh the harder your system, the more people are going to try to break it to get what they want. Give them no rules to break, and you'll find there's no way to power game.

which, everything u say u want, i feel, works extremely well with the Light System of just buying mons and evolutions. people who want to RP battles will still find ways to RP them, and people who just wanna do slice of life stuff can "progress" their character at their preferred pace.

i've considered making a Pokemon site with the light system and VGC rules (allowing legendaries but only 2 "restricted" ones and you have to buy those thru activity), just because i'm insane and wanna see a site where you could feasibly play with any pokemon design, but i don't have time. it comes from a deep desire to pet landorus-therian for all that he's done for me. the sites i would run if i had infinite time...

also i was gonna do a point-buy for character creation where different pokemon have different "tiers" of starting value based on game rarity/base stats/competitive viability. to kinda encourage some diversity in character creation, idk. a mon like incineroar would cost way more than a chikorita, for instance.

To play the devil's advocate a bit, allowing people to power game and break things a bit isn't necessarily as bad as it seems on a surface level. Even in light systems, you are going to have folks who lack grace when it comes to fair play in anything that involves competition that you will have to deal with. Having a tight system provides more nuance into how you handle judgement calls when disputes ariseโ€” but my main point is that when you do have a means for people to optimize you can kind of channel those types of players into the same environment while others who aren't that competitive can enjoy other aspects of the game.

For a pokemon site for example- you could make the most optimal progressions all about pokemon league stuff, and that's what power gamers will focus on. They'll all go to league tournaments, while your slice of life folks and pokemon collectors will probably stick to other elements you present. People tend to sort themselves into tribes this way, and if all the power gamers are power gaming against each other in a vacuum and not bullying people who aren't into competitive play then it isn't really a problem. They're just nerds enjoying doing fictional calculus really.

That's not to say I don't love rules light systems. I think they are the most accessible option for a forum to run. They just tend to require more off the cuff arbitration that can actually make handling disputes harder and more frequent. Usually, power gamers aren't as frequent in light systems, but when things get competitive a lack of checks can be a weakness because you have nothing to cite other than your opinion on how something turns out.
last edit on Jul 8, 2023 19:29:18 GMT by Sharp
aliashannyfish
pronounsshe/they
143written posts
hannyearned bits
offlinecurrently
hanny
hanny Avatar
on the rain-soaked veranda, a small rainbow at your feet.
dreams Avatar
okay
hear me out

i know this has been tossed around before, but like --

pokemon panfan when?

imagine your character/muse being dropped into an original region, and, they're presented with the decision of three pokeballs, which are actually starters, and have to pick one to start their journey.

would characters/muses have powers? that's a tricky one. i'd say.... no? if only because it takes away from the whole 'pokemon' aspect in my opinion. Like how unfair would it be for your muse/character to be going against another muse/character in a battle, and have to worry about both *the pokemon* and *the trainer* battling their pokemon. but then again, some characters, their whole appeal is the fact that they have special talents/abilities/magical transformations... so maybe that's something that could always be explored/hashed out?

Idk, this is just something i'd love to see around that's been sitting in my head rent-free, but I don't have the time or the sanity to run something so extensive. Pokemon sites are already a lot, and add that to being a panfandom... you'd need a dedicated moderating team and at least a five-stack staff. 

to add to the powers aspect, just because - obviously this is panfan and the powers that people have can span far beyond what pokemon has already demonstrated, but pokemon in itself has demonstrated multiple times that people can have mild supernatural powers especially relating to aura. mind reading, telepathy, telekinesis if you look at some of the psychic type trainers, not to mention aura guardians being a thing that have a wide range of abilities given the chance. (riley is horrendously underpowered for what he is if you take at face value what he's said to be able to do & what aura guardians can do vs sir aaron) but there is also the fact that a lot of powers will also have no place in an actual pokemon battle~ 

it can be done, but u rite, panfan already takes a lot of energy as it is so to add the pokemon aspect will be extensive for a lot of people. 

ashes to ashes, dust to dust
242written posts
The Lawearned bits
offlinecurrently
The Law
The Law Avatar
Because I recently binged through some Rifts/Palladium Megaverse related materials... it left a part of me with a hankering for taking the panfandom premise but applying it to OCs instead. Thought it might be cool if there's a setting that's like some kind of multiversal hub, a Nexus of All Realities that attracts heroes and villains from all over the multiverse.

I.e. An aspiring Dark Lord or Galactic Conqueror might see the world's status as a dimensional crossroads a valuable asset because it could open up paths to new worlds to potentially conquer, paragons of justice might take it upon themselves to safeguard this world to prevent its resources from falling into the wrong hands, and still others might just be your typical everyman (by the standards of their native realm, anyway) who were just minding their own businesses and were unfortunately isekai'ed.

Like sure, panfandom likes to go for the approach of "how would characters from unconnected fandoms interact with one another when forced out of their native contexts?". On the other hand, this would be more like a venture into "how would different genres cross over?" Like, what kind of adventures might a fantasy knight errant have with a space bounty hunter? What kind of stories could a wild west gunslinger and a barbarian hero trade? The possibilities are endless.
last edit on Jul 11, 2023 1:46:47 GMT by The Law