aliasYuki
pronounsshe/her
398written posts
Empress Yukiearned bits
offlinecurrently
Empress Yuki
Empress Yuki Avatar
Do you think we can be just like you?
I can see both sides having pros and cons. however my preference lies with the former. I like to code my own templates and using site-exclusive template feels awkward to me. having site-exclusive template feels restrictive and the template might not even suit my aeathetic. so yeah, i am advocate to template freedom
aliasNyx
pronounsshe / her
129written posts
avanearned bits
offlinecurrently
avan
avan Avatar
she's the wicked witch of the EAST bro
(Personally I prefer mandatory post templates because I'm a hoe for aesthetics. I like when the templates match the skin. I can't really explain why - but it's just something I like.)

Now as far as my personal sites that I've run/staffed on: 9/10 times I ask that members use the options we have available in our "code vault". In addition, I do allow members to code their own templates as long as they don't break on-site and aren't illegible (like blinding colors or tiny ass font). I also ask members to reach out to me if they want a code that isn't available on site and I usually utilize a few different version of the BBC options for members.

My biggest reasons why I tend to not let people use post templates from other sources is as follows:

- The templates break on site and end up extending past the width of the forum, but they don't fix it??? They end up just leaving it broken and use it like normal and THAT JUST DRIVES ME CRAZYYYYY. I don't understand how can you leave it broken.

- The usual not changing the font colors/sizes to be legible on the current skin.

- But honestly the biggest reason for me is theft. I've ran into a couple issues where people were removing credits from templates other people have made. Some people would claim they coded it, even though you could tell they had no clue about coding. Other times they never outright claimed the templates as their own, but would ebb away when people tried to compliment them or ask for help etc.

Coders work hard!!! Leave their credit alone!!!

And because I don't want to fight with members on ensuring credit stays and so on, I usually do what I listed first! Lately I've been more lenient with allowing people to use off-site templates, code their own, OR use the templates available. But I've got my eyes WATCHING cause imma fight if someone steals something :SQUINT:

aliasjo, honey
pronounsfeminine
645written posts
offlinecurrently
honey and the forgor land
Part of the Furniture
honey and the forgor land Avatar
fed up with y'all bitches
As someone who personally came back to forum rp solely for the purpose of being able to make my own codes and shit and learn how to code that way ... no, I would not join some site with mandatory rules like that. Did once and dropped like a fly because it just stunts my flow but that's personally just me and this is all just my opinions also but:

Maybe just let people who want to code do their thing and have them present the code in a testing thread on site so it doesn't break the skin. That seems to be the main problem in sites I see, anyway.

It should not matter what codes people are using, let them use what they want and don't feel like your dick is any smaller because you use a default site template.

Besides, what the hell are coders gonna do with a site like that? Just sit around on our hands and use premade ones? Meh. Would much rather use my own codes than ask staff to do 900 variations of codes when they should be doing their jobs which is already barely done on most sites these days. Plus, I feel like it adds to the uniqueness of my characters when I can personally make them codes that I know will look good with graphics I want to make for them and all.

Another issue I see is that people want 'the aesthetics on site to match.' What about our own aesthetics as members? Kinda ruining our vibe there with making some rule about necessary codes you HAVE to use. Just really bogus, imo, seeing as you have no real business reading other people's stuff and really only need your rp partner to use a legible template but again that's just me!

p.s: sorry if i seem rude at all i just personally find 'site templates only!' rules dumbdumb but again x 4 this is just me!
last edit on Apr 30, 2020 3:22:28 GMT by honey and the forgor land
540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
It depends on the skin for me. Probably also depends on how important templates are to you.

Templates don't work very well for my current site because there are 5 background colors to choose from and i'm sure most templates are going to clash with at least one of them. I also like to style the post area so that posts look good without the need for modifications on the users part. I'm also accommodating to multiple communities, some of which don't normally use templates, so I find building things into the site my best option.

On other sites I love being able to use my own template. I made a few recently that I am semi-proud of, even if they aren't anything major league.

But I also could take or leave templates altogether. In the end they are art and not what I am in the hobby for. Coding is a fun as hell hobby too but there are plenty of spaces for that.
last edit on Apr 30, 2020 3:21:19 GMT by Sharp
Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,786written posts
Chibi Magicianearned bits
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy

I am against both mandatory templates and on site only templates myself.

For me, mandatory templates can at times shut out those who are less coding savvy, prefer not to use time to find and customize a template or even mobile only users. Not to mention, there are people who prefer to keep the focus on their words rather than that fancy tag hover or the latest graphics on their character. I have met people of all categories and I must say, I understand their point of view. Therefore I am heavily against the mandatory templates rules with some exceptions being inventory, PCs and things that work in hand with a system since that would be apart of a site’s game. I can also understand application templates for organizational purposes, but to a lesser extent since application templates are not necessarily a requirement considering the natural format.

Now onto on-site only and my disdain for this. Perhaps I am a tad old fashion, but I consider players making and using templates a form of creative expression from the character maker. I have been doing this with my own characters and have worked hard to give each of my children their own template. The representation different templates can provide a character is stunning. There are times where this can communicate something deeper in my opinion. I have met people who make templates for their characters from scratch and I adore seeing them place so much work into their hobby. From customized lyrics, graphics, backgrounds and even font types, the possibilities are endless for one to represent their character in a different manner. Thus if the templates they pick are readable, then I want to see that expression of creativity.

Furthermore, for me, on-site only template use makes it feel like a uniform for myself. I come to role-play to express myself and my characters in a multitude of different ways, not to seemingly fit in a box. Please keep in mind I have never cared much for aesthetic. Sure, I will assure my templates are pretty and readable, but having a blue shaded template on a hot pink site would not make me bat an eye. To me, templates are kinda their own little world in that post image, so I am not bothered by colour clashes, unless it makes it unreadable.

Also, side note since I see people mentioning people being popular based on templates alone. If you pick to plot with someone because they have beautiful aesthetics, you are overturning some fantastic people with different definitions of beautiful. Some people who I have really enjoyed role-playing with have aesthetics I am on the fence about, but are wonderful people. They can too be creative, benevolent and tons of fun just like the aesthetically pleasing people. So open your horizons and view their applications too because you may make a new friend out of it. c:

This has been one of my infamous before bed rambles, so if I sound dumb, sorry.
last edit on Apr 30, 2020 3:45:29 GMT by Chibi Magician

ic for a dystopian fantasy role-play
pronounsshe/her
309written posts
syhrinxearned bits
offlinecurrently
syhrinx
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
syhrinx Avatar
i am turned off of sites that make you use site-exclusive codes. either they are not visually appealing to me, or they have way too many fields (like lyrics. i don't like lyrics in templates. i just want a place to put my words and a tag/notes section), or they all have places for an image, or i just don't want to copy and paste a code each time i sit down to write a reply?

i am very basic and lazy, and will uuuuusually just do blockquotes nowadays. or if i'm feeling particularly mischievous, absolutely no blockquotes at all.

so i suppose: let me not use a template if you're forcing site-only codes, but overall i vastly prefer sites that let you do whatever the heck you want :0
pronounsshe / her
398written posts
Ven ☆earned bits
offlinecurrently
Ven ☆
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
Ven ☆ Avatar
got a secret, can you keep it?
I was very briefly on a few places that had… required the use of site-only templates and that was honestly a turn-off for me.

Where’s the freedom in using your own templates / using something else because your character/s have a certain vibe / aesthetic to it and you would want to keep their templates as matched to them as possible?

pronounsshe/her
37written posts
mepuruearned bits
offlinecurrently
mepuru
mepuru Avatar
wake me up later zzz
I was on a site recently that had their own templates but they had.... hundreds of those to wade through? If it was just a few pages to pick from, I wouldn't have had such a problem with it but this place went over the top lol.

While I enjoy coding my own stuff, I can see the benefit to using only forum sanctioned codes. It makes everything aesthetically pleasing, and flow nicely with a nicely coded site. It's only a deal breaker if, personally, I don't care for the template but that's super personal lol Everyone has their own likes/dislikes.

So yeah, I can see both sides of the argument and I don't strongly feel either way. It has pros and cons lol
last edit on Jun 25, 2020 1:08:12 GMT by mepuru
96written posts
offlinecurrently
Shiva the Frostbearer
Shiva the Frostbearer Avatar
I have never been part of a must have template site or only our site templates place. I am not big on templates since I find them distracting nowadays. I come for words, give me words, not tiny font, flowery text, and the whatnot. I can't read things that are under 12 font and will ask someone to change it in the most polite fashion otherwise we can't thread cause I can't read.

I don't think I'd ever require a post template or make anyone use the site templates I code. I do extreme minimalist looking things. I know that's not what some people want and a lot feel their post needs to be pretty so to each their own. Trying to lock people into something is usually bad. Though, I can see the frustration. Everyone who's used their own found template has broken code on the site I admin and I have to go fix it. A little bother some but not real deal breakers since as admin, I can go look where they messed a div or or edit the div id so it doesn't conflict with the posting codes.