932written posts
gimmickearned bits
offlinecurrently
gimmick
Part of the Furniture
gimmick Avatar
All birds and men are sure to die but songs may live forever
Read The Bloody Chamber and Other Short Stories because of 's post

He strips me to my last nakedness, that undersign of mauve, pearlized satin, like a skinned rabbit; then dresses me again in an embrace so lucid and all encompassing it might be made of water.

Nothing about her is human except that she is not a wolf.

I was so unused to my own skin that to take off all my clothes involved a kind of flaying.

Everything flowers; no harsh wind stirs the voluptuous air. The sun spills fruit for you. And the deathly, sensual lethargy of the sweet South infects the starved brain; it gasps: ‘Luxury! More luxury!’ But the snow comes, you cannot escape it, it followed us from Russia as if it ran behind our carriage, and in this dark, bitter city has caught up with us at last.
last edit on Jun 13, 2021 2:46:50 GMT by gimmick
the narrative
aliasCel, Nightlock
pronounsShe/They
703written posts
CELearned bits
offlinecurrently
CEL
Part of the Furniture
CEL Avatar
mankind, be vigilant; we loved you.
finally kicked my reading slump's butt and finished Know My Name by Chanel Miller a couple days ago. some passages that hit so well include—

It took me a long time to learn healing is not about advancing, it is about returning repeatedly to forage something. Writing this book allowed me to go back to that place. I learned to stay in the hurt, to resist leaving. If I got stuck inside scenes in the courtroom, I would glance down at Mogu and wonder, if I am really in the past, how did this blinking thing get in my house? I assembled and reassembled letters in ways that would describe what I’d seen and felt. As I revisited that landscape, I grew more in control, could come and go when I needed to. Until one day I found there was nothing left to gather.

——

Victims exist in a society that tells us our purpose is to be an inspiring story. But sometimes the best we can do is tell you we’re still here, and that should be enough. Denying darkness does not bring anyone closer to the light.

——

I can’t tell you what happens next because I have not yet lived it. This book does not have a happy ending. The happy part is there is no ending, because I’ll always find a way to keep going.

also finally started reading One Last Stop by Casey Mcquiston (10/10 would recommend thus far for anyone who needs a light and easy read, there's time traveling wlw. what more can you want tbh) which, even if i'm not the type to default to contemporaries, this book is perceiving me so much and i am. Screaming. 

There's always been a schematic in August's head of how things are supposed to be. Her whole life, she managed the noise and buzz and creeping dread in her brain by mapping things out, telling herself that if she looked hard enough, she'd find an explanation for everything. But here they are, looking at each other across the steady delineation of things August understands, watching the line blur.

——

Jane's not exactly here permanently. She's not exactly here at all. And, well, August has never truly had her heart broken before, but she's pretty sure that falling in love with someone only to send them back to the 1970s would, as first heartbreaks go, win the Fuck You Up Olympics.

——

The moonlight moves, a cool slash across the foot of the bed, and August squeezes her eyes shut. There's not point to it, loving a girl who can't touch the ground. August knows this.

But to kiss and be kissed. To be wanted. That's a different thing from love. And maybe, maybe if she tried, they could have something. Not everything, but something.

coming soon.
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
I read a lot of non-fiction and research articles. Somehow dodged acquaintance with Robert Greene, the ‘Modern Machiavelli’ and his book The 48 Laws of Power until this year. Finished it last night. It’s a clever trip through a selection of history’s lessons, providing both pertinent advice on how to behave and (mostly) how not to act but be aware others in your everyday life might.

This is one of those books that’s so stimulating, almost everything merits quoting. And if any of you are into social sciences and aren’t coming into any of this blind, you’ll go through it with much amusement.

It’s hard to select any one section to provide an actual teaser, but I’m going to pick:

Law 19. Know Who You’re Dealing With – Do Not Offend The Wrong Person

Judgement
There are many different kinds of people in this world, and you can never assume that everyone will react to your strategies in the same way. Deceive or outmaneuver some people and they will spend the rest of their lives seeking revenge. They are wolves in lambs’ clothing. Choose your victims and opponents carefully, then – never offend or deceive the wrong person.

OPPONENTS, SUCKERS, AND VICTIMS: Preliminary Typology
In your rise to power you will come across many breeds of opponent, sucker, and victim. The highest form of the art of power is the ability to distinguish the wolves from the lambs, the foxes from the hares, the hawks from the vultures. If you make this distinction well, you will succeed without needing to coerce anyone too much. But if you deal blindly with whomever crosses your path, you will have a life of constant sorrow, if you even live that long. Being able to recognize types of people, and to act accordingly, is critical. The following are the five most dangerous and difficult types of mark in the jungle, as identified by artists -con and otherwise- of the past.

The Arrogant and Proud Man.
Although he may initially disguise it, this man’s touchy pride makes him dangerous. Any perceived slight will lead to a vengeance of overwhelming violence. You may say to yourself “But I only said such-and-such at a party, where everyone was drunk…” It does not matter. There is no sanity behind his overreaction, so do not waste time trying to figure him out. If at any point in your dealings with a person you sense an oversensitive and overactive pride, flee. Whatever you are hoping for from him isn’t worth it.

The Hopelessly Insecure Man.
This man is related to the proud and arrogant type, but is less violent and harder to spot. His ego is fragile, his sense of self insecure, and if he feels himself deceived or attacked, the hurt will simmer. He will attack you in bites that will take forever to get big enough for you to notice. If you find you have deceived or harmed such a man, disappear for a long time. Do not stay around him or he will nibble you to death.

Mr. Suspicion.
Another variant on the breeds above, this is a future Joe Stalin. He sees what he wants to see- usually the worst- in other people, and imagines everyone is after him. Mr. Suspicion is in fact the least dangerous of the three: Genuinely unbalanced, he is easy to deceive, just as Stalin himself was constantly deceived. Play on his suspicious nature to get him to turn against other people. But if you do become the target of his suspicions, watch out.

The Serpent with a Long Memory.
If hurt or deceived, this man will show no anger on the surface; he will calculate and wait. Then, when he is in a position to turn the tables, he will exact a revenge marked by a cold-blooded shrewdness. Recognize this man by his calculation and cunning in the different areas of his life. He is usually cold and unaffectionate. Be doubly careful of this snake, and if you have somehow injured him, either crush him completely or get him out of your sight.

The Plain, Unassuming, and Often Unintelligent Man.
Ah, your ears pick up when you find such a tempting victim. But this man is a lot harder to deceive than you imagine. Falling for a ruse often takes intelligence and imagination- a sense of the possible rewards. The blunt man will not take the bait because he does not recognize it. He is that unaware. The danger with this man is not that he will harm you or seek revenge, but merely that he will waste your time, energy, resources, and even your sanity in trying to deceive him.

It follows to give historical examples of these.
the narrative
aliasCel, Nightlock
pronounsShe/They
703written posts
CELearned bits
offlinecurrently
CEL
Part of the Furniture
CEL Avatar
mankind, be vigilant; we loved you.
finished One Last Stop by Casey Mcquiston a few days ago, then jumped into All Systems Red by Martha Wells. just finished it, i love murderbot, and the first passage is probably one of my favorite all time openers.

I could have become a mass murderer after I hacked my governor module, but then I realized I could access the combined feed of entertainment channels carried on the company satellites. It had been well over 35,000 hours or so since then, with still not much murdering, but probably, I don't know, a little under 35,000 hours of movies, serials, books, plays, and music consumed. As a heartless killing machine, I was a terrible failure.

also really liked this line and how this book manages to juggle both humor, heart, and questions of existence and identity, and the mortifying ordeal of being known in a gleefully self-aware “eat the rich” sci-fi

“You don’t blame humans for what you were forced to do? For what happened to you?”

This is why I’m glad I’m not human. They come up with stuff like this. I said, “No. That’s a human thing to do. Constructs aren’t that stupid.”

What was I supposed to do, kill all humans because the ones in charge of constructs in the company were callous? Granted, I liked the imaginary people on the entertainment feed way more than I liked real ones, but you can’t have one without the other.”

coming soon.
local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
721written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
i've been in a horrific slump this summer. it's been super busy at work, bc normally i do a lot of reading then lol. but i've been *trying* to finish "stalin: the court of the red tsar" by simon montefiore for like.... a month plus? and i am just. screaming bc normally i've finished like 5+ in a month and my goodreads is crying lmao

CEL Avatar
finished One Last Stop by Casey Mcquiston a few days ago, then jumped into All Systems Red by Martha Wells. just finished it, i love murderbot, and the first passage is probably one of my favorite all time openers.

dude yes the series is great! i love murderbot, she has my heart 

https://media4.giphy.com/media/f9vvn2LXQo5TolglzC/giphy.gif

pronounsthey/she
248written posts
sacredearned bits
offlinecurrently
sacred
sacred Avatar
Do not seek forgiveness, for it will not ease the burden. It weighs as it should.
CEL Avatar
murderbot :pray: that protagonist is the most relatable in a long time...

i'm reading The Doctor Who Fooled the World which is an amazingly horrifying piece of medical journalism by Brian Deer, and also Prior of the Orange Tree cause. 

Well.

Girls.
last edit on Jul 5, 2021 10:13:56 GMT by sacred
aliasJen, DeJener8
pronounsShe/her
242written posts
Jenesisearned bits
offlinecurrently
Jenesis
Jenesis Avatar
Trying to get myself in the habit of reading every day, just to give my brain a little more routine and because I have a shelf full of books that are sitting unread. On Day 3 so far.

The first chosen book? The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. At the top of the list because it's on loan from someone else.
932written posts
gimmickearned bits
offlinecurrently
gimmick
Part of the Furniture
gimmick Avatar
Finished Pachinko by Min Jin Lee. Historical novel, very straightforward writing style but fascinating deep dive into aspects of modern Korean and Japanese history and society I'd never been aware of. As always, a handful of favorite bits.

Save your family. Feed your belly. Pay attention, and be skeptical of the people in charge. If the Korean nationalists couldn't get their country back, then let your kids learn Japanese and try to get ahead. Adapt. Wasn't it as simple as that? For every patriot fighting for a free Korea, or for any unlucky Korean bastard fighting on behalf of Japan, there were ten thousand compatriots on the ground and elsewhere who were just trying to eat. In the end, your belly was your emperor.

The penalties incurred for the mistakes you made had to be paid out in full to the members of your family. But she didn't believe that she could ever discharge these sums.

All her life she had heard this sentiment from other women, that they must suffer—suffer as a girl, suffer as a wife, suffer as a mother—die suffering. Go-saeng—the word made her sick. What else was there besides this? She had suffered to create a better life for her son, and yet it was not enough. Should she have taught him to suffer the humiliation that she'd drunk like water? In the end, he had refused to suffer the conditions of his birth. Did mothers fail by not telling their sons that suffering would come?

And from a few books ago, because this passage came for my throat. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.

"Drudgery accompanied by very occasional moments of happiness, but when I say happiness, I mostly mean distraction... Say you go into the break room, and a couple people you like are there, say someone's telling a funny story, you laugh a little, you feel included, everyone's so funny, you go back to your desk with a sort of...afterglow, but then by four or five o'clock the day's just turned into yet another day, and you go on like that, looking forward to five o'clock and then the weekend and then your two or three annual weeks of paid vacation time, day in day out, and that's what happens to your life... That's what passes for a life. That's what passes for happiness, for most people... They're sleepwalkers, and nothing ever jolts them awake."
932written posts
gimmickearned bits
offlinecurrently
gimmick
Part of the Furniture
gimmick Avatar
A few gems from Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert, translated by Lydia Davis

He was so angry he was quoting Latin. He would have quoted Chinese or Greenlandic, had he known the languages; for he was in the throes of the sort of crisis in which one's entire soul shows indiscriminately what it contains, just as the Ocean during a storm, gapes open from the seaweed on its shore to the sand in its abysses.

"Your father-in-law is dead!"

The pharmacist had pondered his announcement, he had rounded it, polished it, cadenced it; it was a masterpiece of discretion and transitions, of subtle phrasing and delicacy; but rage had swept away rhetoric.

Her poor hands wandered over the sheets with that hideous gentle motion of the dying, who seem already to be trying to cover themselves with their shrouds.

One had to discount, he thought, exaggerated speeches that concealed mediocre affections; as if the fullness of the soul did not sometimes overflow in the emptiest of metaphors, since none of us can ever express the exact measure of our needs, or our ideas, or our sorrows, and human speech is like a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes for bears to dance to, when we long to move the stars to pity.

Vilifying those we love always detaches us from them a little. We should not touch our idols: their gilding will remain on our hands.

last edit on Sept 17, 2021 19:14:59 GMT by gimmick
pronounsshe/her
328written posts
Mizoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Mizo
Mizo Avatar
If you are reading this, I am beautiful.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

“Take me back, Celia,” I begged her. “Take me back, and I’ll give the rest of it up. I’ll give up everything but Connor. I won’t ever act again. I’ll let the world know about us. I’m ready to give you all of me. Please.”

Celia listened. But then she very calmly sat down in the chair by the bed and said, “Evelyn, you are not capable of giving it up. And you never will be. And it will be the tragedy of my life that I cannot love you enough to make you mine. That you cannot be loved enough to be anyone’s.”
-
She liked to ignore the fact that I had made love to men and enjoyed it. She liked to ignore it until the very moment she decided to be threatened by it. That seemed to be her pattern. I was a lesbian when she loved me and a straight woman when she hated me.
[googlefont=Open+Sans]
last edit on Sept 19, 2021 8:40:29 GMT by Mizo

take it easy.
aliascae
pronounsshe/her
534written posts
caeearned bits
offlinecurrently
cae
Part of the Furniture
cae Avatar
let's live our lives heroically / let's live our lives with style
picking thru random poems again. here's something by marina tsvetaeva
I’d like to live with You
In a small town,
Where there are eternal twilights
And eternal bells.
And in a small village inn —
The faint chime
Of ancient clocks — like droplets of time.
And sometimes, in the evenings, from some garret —
A flute,
And the flautist himself in the window.
And big tulips in the window-sills.
And maybe, You would not even love me…
(x)

last edit on Oct 30, 2021 3:18:37 GMT by cae
pronounsShe/Her
75written posts
zytlearned bits
offlinecurrently
zytl
zytl Avatar
If you're waiting until you feel talented enough to make it, you'll never make it.
Circe by Madeline Miller!! THE. PROSE. I. JUST. LOVE. THE. PROSE. SO. MUCH. The sentences don't run you on a chase, but are as short as the steps you take on a journey. AND THEY"RE JUST SO CLEVER AND POETIC. HOW. She's literally a writing goddess, you cannot tell me otherwise 8D

Though the quotes listed here are all about motherhood, the story's about SO MUCH MORE. Its just the most beautiful sentences (to me) are written when Circe gave ____ to _____.

I made a sling to carry him, so he might lie against my heart. I gave him soothing herbs, I burned incenses, I called birds to sing at our windows. The only thing that helped was if I walked—walked the halls, walked the hills, walked the shore. Then at last he would wear himself out, close his eyes, and sleep. But if I stopped, if I tried to put him down, he would wake at once. Even when I walked without ceasing, he was soo
n up, screaming again. Within him was an ocean’s worth of grief, which could only be stoppered a moment, never emptied. How often in those days did I think of Odysseus’ smiling child? I tried his trick, along with all the rest. Held my son’s floppy body up into the air, promised him he was safe. He only screamed louder. Whatever made the prince Telemachus so sweet, I thought, it must have come from Penelope. This was the child I deserved.

We did find some moments of peace. When he finally slept, when he nursed at my breast, when he smiled at a flight of birds scattering from a tree. I would look at him and feel a love so sharp it seemed my flesh lay open. I made a list of all the things I would do for him. Scald off my skin. Tear out my eyes. Walk my feet to bones, if only he would be happy and well.

I felt each breath in his thin chest, how improbable it was, how unlikely that this frail creature, who could not even lift his head, could survive in the harsh world. But he would survive. He would, if I must wrestle the veiled god myself.

last edit on Nov 7, 2021 17:59:09 GMT by zytl
932written posts
gimmickearned bits
offlinecurrently
gimmick
Part of the Furniture
gimmick Avatar
Circe's a good one... Really enjoyed how she portrayed the inhumanity of the divine characters too, compared with how most media tries to do the opposite, ie humanizing them. Made (makes? still kinda do) me want to write an eons-old immortal.

As for me, just finished Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. Took ages to get through, let me tell you. Ages. Dragged at multiple parts but so much wry humor in the writing style which is way up my alley. Kinda similar to Good Omens.

Like the book, it long

Mr Robinson was a polished sort of person. He was so clean and healthy and pleased about everything that he positively shone – which is only to be expected in a fairy or an angel, but is somewhat disconcerting in an attorney.

Surrounded by cross, hot strangers, your chance of rational conversation is equal to what it would be in an African desert. Your only wish is to preserve your favorite gown from the worst ravages of the crowd. Every body complains of the heat and the suffocation. Every body declares it to be entirely insufferable. But if it is all misery for the guests, then what of the wretchedness of those who have not been invited? Our sufferings are nothing to theirs! And we may tell each other tomorrow that it was a delightful party.

To my mind he was not so very plain. True, his features were all extremely bad; he had a great face half as long again as other faces, with a great nose (quite sharp at the end) stuck into it, two dark eyes like clever bits of coal and two little stubby eyebrows like very small fish swimming bravely in a great sea of face. If you had seen that face in repose (proud and not a little melancholy), you would have imagined that it must always look so, that no face in existence could be so ill-adapted to express feeling. But you could not have been more wrong.

There was no one there. 
Which is to say there was someone there. Miss Wintertowne lay upon the bed, but it would have puzzled philosophy whether she were someone or no one at all. (cause. it's a corpse)

It has been remarked (by a lady infinitely cleverer than the present author) how kindly disposed the world in general feels to young people who either die or marry. Imagine then the interest that surrounded Miss Wintertowne! No young lady ever had such advantages before: for she died upon the Tuesday, was raised to life in the early hours of Wednesday morning, and was married upon the Thursday; which some people thought too much excitement for one week.

"I cleverly contrived to capture the little children of my enemy and we pushed them out of the belfry to their deaths. Tonight we will re-enact this great triumph! We will dress straw dolls in the children's blood-stained clothes and fling them down on the paving stones and then we will sing and dance and rejoice over their destruction!"

"And do you perform this ceremony every year, sir? I feel sure I would have remembered if I had seen it before. It is so very...striking."

"I am glad you think so. I perform it whenever I think of it. Of course it was a great deal more striking when we used real children."

If the French carry Napoleon in their bellies (which apparently they do), then we carry Wellington in our hearts. Of course it may be objected that Wellington himself was Irish, but a patriotic English pen does not stoop to answer such quibbling.

A patrol had been sent out to look at the road between two towns, but some Portuguese had come along and told the patrol that this was one of the English magician's roads and was certain to disappear in an hour or two taking everyone upon it to Hell - or possibly England.

"Dear God!...What language is that?"

"I believe it is one of the dialects of Hell," said Strange.

"They have learnt it very quickly," said Lord Wellington, "They have only been dead three days." He approved of people doing things promptly and in a businesslike fashion.

Stephen had never seen a landscape so calculated to reduce the onlooker to despair in an instant.
"This is one of your kingdoms, I suppose, sir?" he said.

"My kingdoms?" exclaimed the gentleman in surprize. "Oh, no! This is Scotland!"

There was a silence. Or rather some moments passed filled with nothing but the breathing of fifty cats.

"We have sent your lordship urgent messages, but we have received no replies. Fortunately for us all Mr Norrell is what he always was: firm and resolute and watchful." As he spoke, Lascelle's glance fell upon Mr Norrell, who was at the moment the very picture of everything which was dismayed, defeated and impotent.

a colour so soft, so subtle that it could scarcely be said to be a colour at all. It was more the idea of a colour — as if the trees were dreaming green dreams or thinking green thoughts
last edit on Nov 7, 2021 22:26:52 GMT by gimmick
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW