731written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
citrinitas Avatar
when you release a skin- does the feeling of already wanting to replace it with something better ever go away? sobs

no :)

phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,238written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
i really wish that sites would stop using webpages, google sheets/docs, and/or javascript codes for site lore and claims. i get that they look pretty and are low-maintenance, but they're so not mobile-friendly, to the point of bordering on an accessibility issue

local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
731written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
Kuroya Avatar
i really wish that sites would stop using webpages, google sheets/docs, and/or javascript codes for site lore and claims. i get that they look pretty and are low-maintenance, but they're so not mobile-friendly, to the point of bordering on an accessibility issue
i understand that it's not really mobile friendly, but it frankly is so much easier to keep that stuff on webpages. i know for content heavy rps like warriors, for example, it really does clog up the board. i feel like this is less of a coding issue, and more of a "jcink needs to do their due diligence" issue 

praise the cats!
aliasthomas, breezescodes
pronounshe/him
825written posts
bcearned bits
offlinecurrently
bc
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
bc Avatar
this is my murder mittens ^-^
Kuroya Avatar

this is very much not the problem w the concept itself but the execution of most skins being typically not mobile friendly. your mileage may vary for google sheets/docs lol but the others can be made mobile-friendly.

actually the thing iโ€™m currently a little frustrated about is the recent trend of memberlist isotope filter. as much as i love them, adore the modularity of search, etc etc, when you have a ton of them on one page loading it just does not work on mobile b/c of how long it takes to load.

i do think i can say that many popular scripts o used are not designed with performance in mind however โ€” or the amount of input going into them โ€” and this is very much a coding issue.
last edit on Jun 24, 2023 10:16:18 GMT by bc
local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
731written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
lately i haven't been able to get my own head out of my own ass, especially when it comes to designing. for me, functionality is key and i get annoyed if design supersedes my ability to do what i want to do quickly (like log in/out, change accounts, etc) and i vowed my own skins would never be like that. so all of my skins are extremely straightforward. but now i'm in this tiny box yet again that i've made for myself that i can't get out of lmao 

idk what to do about it other than scream into the void lmao

aliasSola
pronounsthey/he
207written posts
Solaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sola
Sola Avatar
Tell me which you dread more ; the echo or the answer?
Anyone else take the same base code from the older codes you've made and just change the dimensions to what you wish so you can skip like half the work

Also wish I was confident to learn enough on how to skin.
last edit on Jul 9, 2023 17:28:00 GMT by Sola
praise the cats!
pronounshe/him
825written posts
bcearned bits
offlinecurrently
bc
bc Avatar
Sola Avatar
Anyone else take the same base code from the older codes you've made and just change the dimensions to what you wish so you can skip like half the work

Also wish I was confident to learn enough on how to skin.

i believe in u ^-^
the hardest part of skinning is honestly having to go back and change ur html to work w jcink lol i think itโ€™s more tedious than difficult tho
last edit on Jul 11, 2023 18:11:00 GMT by bc
4,238written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
every time i want to try to do proboards template coding again, i feel a small piece of my soul die because i literally never remember how to do anything complicated on it (like toggles)

local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
731written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
Kuroya Avatar
every time i want to try to do proboards template coding again, i feel a small piece of my soul die because i literally never remember how to do anything complicated on it (like toggles)

literally idk how leap and the others can code seamlessly between jcink and proboards. ubbc has such goofy rules that idk how anyone works around it. that being said, the people who can terrify me in a way that i mean it as a compliment.

4,238written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
my internal screaming because i just want to ask an "hey is [xyz thing] even possible to do in a skin" high-end jcink coding question but both of the main jcink resources force their coding help boards to use forms + don't have a place to otherwise ask coding questions :skull:
last edit on Jul 21, 2023 1:42:11 GMT by Kuroya

praise the cats!
pronounshe/him
825written posts
bcearned bits
offlinecurrently
bc
bc Avatar
Kuroya Avatar
my internal screaming because i just want to ask an "hey is [xyz thing] even possible to do in a skin" high-end jcink coding question but both of the main jcink resources force their coding help boards to use forms + don't have a place to otherwise ask coding questions :skull:

jcink resource discords are generally better for asking questions. iโ€™d direct you to the Coding Camp or the JCINK skinathon/community discords. i can give you invites for both, but i suspect looking up the names + tumblr + jcink should find you links. thereโ€™s a lot of active ppl around and the coding camp has the forum feature so you can make a thread asking for help w/o risking it getting buried in chat history
last edit on Jul 21, 2023 4:37:17 GMT by bc
4,238written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
bc Avatar
jcink resource discords are generally better for asking questions. iโ€™d direct you to the Coding Camp or the JCINK skinathon/community discords. i can give you invites for both, but i suspect looking up the names + tumblr + jcink should find you links. thereโ€™s a lot of active ppl around and the coding camp has the forum feature so you can make a thread asking for help w/o risking it getting buried in chat history

i actually just asked on jcink's support board since i figured if anyone would know the answer, it would be there (basically i wanted to know if it was possible to code entirely different post / mini-profile layouts to display based on the board you're posting in) and got my answer (which is a yes but it's a dumb workaround + a pain in the butt so ah yes my specialty)

i'm not really wanting an invite (tl;dr i really do not like being in general community discords, so i avoid them like the plague) but i super appreciate the offer though!

local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
731written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
i'm a selfish coder by nature, and my number #1 priority when i skin is "what do i like?" and while a lot of the time i think it's really helpful to think that way when coding; i'm running into issues where i feel like i'm just doing the same thing over and over. i'm always trying new techniques and whatnot, but god forbid i don't put a sticky bar at the top with all of the links i need and the account swap thing or something. accessibility was one of the reasons i started coding, and it drives me nuts when an otherwise gorgeous skin isn't user friendly. like if i have to go on a scavenger hunt to find the account switcher thing on my jcink skin, i feel like it's a detriment. i know it's really not that deep, but i feel like i've trapped myself in this box of what an accessible and easy to navigate skin has to be like.

write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW