Fantasy Feudal Japan RP

pronounsShe-Her
99written posts
Elaysaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Elaysa
Elaysa Avatar
I'm actually a cat person

Hanaemi (name pending) is a fantasy roleplay set in a fictional rendition of feudal Japan. In a time when spirits and humans coexisted, distrust and tension ripples throughout the land of the rising sun. The country has shattered into smaller factions, all of them sharing a grand ambition: to take over the entire nation. In a war-torn era, where will you stand?

The roleplay is inspired by Japanese folklore, sengoku jidai, the game Onmyoji and other media of the same nature. I've once mentioned this in quick interest checks and I decided to flesh out this idea a bit.

Playable Species

Humans ❀ Regular people, pretty self-explanatory. Nevertheless, some humans are trained in the arts of onmyodo, such people are called onmyoji. Onmyoji are, in short, sorcerers capable of summoning yokai, creating protective amulets for other people, etc. 

Yokai ❀ Magical beings and spirits. Kitsune, inugami, tengu, you name it. Yokai characters would have an option to have their own unique ability (nothing too overpowered though), to spice things up a bit and give everyone a little bit of freedom when it comes to characters.

Oni ❀ Demons and other hellish creatures, generally more aggressive and ruthless than an average yokai. 

Factions

Three starting factions the RP would begin with. More factions may be added in the future.

Tokugawa ❀ An honorable faction of warriors seeking to solve the nation's conflict in a peaceful, bloodless way. They are rather tranquil and do not fret when someone crosses into their territory. The clan consists of yokai and humans alike, and they make no difference toward one other.

Mikazuki ❀ The newest clan of the bunch. This faction only consists of humans – primarily regular samurai, demon hunters and onmyoji. The clan plans to eradicate all yokai and let regular people rule the nation once again.

Oda ❀ A faction that consists primarily of yokai and oni. They are the most ambitious of the three, wanting to unify the nation under their rule. Due to their high goals, they tend to be ruthless, willing to cut down anybody who stands in their path. Nevertheless, members of this faction are tight-knit and immensely loyal to one other.

Factionless characters would also be available.

Features

❀ Battles for territory, statless combat
❀ Political intrigue & political marriages
❀ Jcink-hosted, presumably
❀ Low activity standards, no word count, just have fun
❀ Play as a yokai and give it special powers, or play as a human, go wild with characters!
❀ Member-driven plot
❀ Some slice-of-life elements, but in feudal Japan
❀ And more!

Other Notes

I think that's the gist of it? Onmyoji meets sengoku jidai, basically. I'm definitely open to suggestions. The site is WIP and I'd like to know the general consensus before I try to do anything too insane regarding this project, because time is preciouuuus. I may change the name of the site and/or of the factions, because I'm terrible with names, oops.

I probably forgot about... like everything I wanted to mention??? Buuut I can answer additional questions. If I decide to continue with this project, I'm likely gonna open a staff search at some point.

Thank you for reading ^-^

pronounsShe-Her
99written posts
Elaysaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Elaysa
Elaysa Avatar
Mouse Avatar
This sounds great! Would their be some kind of restriction on the kinds of Yokai/Oni you could make, or would there not be any?

Thanks for the interest! ^^

I'm going to try to give everyone plenty of freedom when it comes to yokai/oni characters, as you can do a lot with them. I suppose anything that isn't too overpowered will be available. I'll compile a list of yokai/oni to choose from, but the choice won't be limited to creatures listed there (simply because there's a lot of yokai/oni and it would be impossible to mention all of them). Though the usual stuff (kitsune, inugami, bakeneko, nekomata, tengu etc.) will all be available.

I hope that answers your question! c:
375written posts
watcherearned bits
offlinecurrently
watcher
watcher Avatar
Hrm... I'm mostly intrigued because having freedom with abilities as youkai sounds great for a character idea of mine, but he doesn't fit completely neatly into a youkai type, or at least as far as I know...

Oh, right, are humans limited to what real humans can do, or could they possibly do superhuman feats beyond onmyodo?

...in any case I am rather interested~
pronounsShe-Her
99written posts
Elaysaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Elaysa
Elaysa Avatar
watcher Avatar
Hrm... I'm mostly intrigued because having freedom with abilities as youkai sounds great for a character idea of mine, but he doesn't fit completely neatly into a youkai type, or at least as far as I know...

Oh, right, are humans limited to what real humans can do, or could they possibly do superhuman feats beyond onmyodo?

...in any case I am rather interested~

I very recently had an idea of implementing half-demons – essentially a child of a human and a yokai/oni (as all the species can mingle amongst one other). The half-demon would stay as a human, more or less, but possess supernatural abilities. I imagine half-demons would be less powerful than a regular yokai/oni (as they're still half human). I'm not sure if this is exactly what you've imagined, but, hey, it's an idea. Frankly, the idea of implementing half-demons is fairly new even to me (I've come up with it like... two days ago). I think I can compare them to Hanyo from Inuyasha??

As for humans specifically, I'd prefer to stay away from giving them supernatural abilities (save from onmyodo, of course). Frankly, if both humans and yokai/oni had supernatural abilities, there would be no reason to differentiate between the two, buuuut that's just my opinion. ヽ(〃・ω・)ノ

Other than that, thanks for the interest everyone! I've been steadily working on the skin. I think I'm going to open a staff search, as I could use some aid when it comes to moderation and similar stuff. I'm not sure when, but if someone's interested in potentially helping out, my PMs are always open. c:

Thanks again everyone, it really means a lot ^-^

That's a little update < 3
375written posts
watcherearned bits
offlinecurrently
watcher
watcher Avatar
Elaysa Avatar
watcher Avatar

As for humans specifically, I'd prefer to stay away from giving them supernatural abilities (save from onmyodo, of course). Frankly, if both humans and yokai/oni had supernatural abilities, there would be no reason to differentiate between the two, buuuut that's just my opinion. ヽ(〃・ω・)ノ

Hrmmm. I was thinking about humans being limited to supernatural physical feats, like Sango from Inu Yasha, although I do understand if it's just onmyodo who have the capacity to challenge the youkai... or do those things fall into onmyodo as well?
pronounsShe-Her
99written posts
Elaysaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Elaysa
Elaysa Avatar
watcher Avatar
Hrmmm. I was thinking about humans being limited to supernatural physical feats, like Sango from Inu Yasha, although I do understand if it's just onmyodo who have the capacity to challenge the youkai... or do those things fall into onmyodo as well?

I think humans' supernatural talents are going to be limited to onmyodo (for the reasons I stated above, though onmyodo is still pretty powerful all things considered – as an onmyoji is able to summon/seal yokai/oni). Nevertheless, onmyodo is not going to be the only way to challenge the yokai/oni. I suppose the main way the factions are going to battle in is face-to-face combat using katanas, bows and all that cool stuff. I heavily doubt yokai/oni are just going to shoot colorful spheres at their foes – one of the main reasons being that using supernatural abilities exhausts the user more than regular martial arts (although it would mainly depend on the character's training and background).

For the (primarily) human-based faction, Mikazuki, their main force stems from experienced warriors. Onmyoji are more of their 'wild card', if I can call it as such.

In conclusion, non-onmyodo users are mainly going to use martial arts, swordfighting, etc. to deal with yokai/oni. 

All of this is going to be explained in lore/info threads. I don't want to delve into too much detail, because, truthfully, I can ramble about this for days

I hope I answered your question ^^

375written posts
watcherearned bits
offlinecurrently
watcher
watcher Avatar
Mrm, I was under the impression that a certain amount of superhuman skill and strength is needed to keep up with youkai. Anime also do tend to give their swordsmen superlative feats. I guess this either means such things either aren't considered supernatural, or the effect that a youkai can create is not so great that it cannot be surmounted by human effort.

Mrm, I guess I'll see once there's more in-depth lore. Thanks for humoring me!
last edit on Dec 5, 2020 8:32:14 GMT by watcher
pronounsShe-Her
99written posts
Elaysaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Elaysa
Elaysa Avatar
A quick update:

❀ I'm about 95% done with the skin, I'm steadily starting to work on the info threads ^^

❀ I thought about potentially opening a Discord server before I get sorta done with the site for a potential soft opening (and I must say that I have no idea when the site is going to soft open ^^").

❀ The staff search is still open!

Feedback is still very much appreciated (one of the main reasons why I'm drawn to the idea of setting up a Discord server for this project!) < 3

I think that's all for the update, nothing too major (other than me finally getting the skin to a presentable state)? Thank you so much for the lovely comments so far, it's really uplifting c:

Have a wonderful Friday! ^^