Genshin Impact

214written posts
✦ MADearned bits
offlinecurrently
✦ MAD
✦ MAD Avatar
[nospaces]

For those interested in a Genshin Impact RP, what are things you would like to see? My ideas so far:
[break][break]
✦ Been working on a skin on jcink[break]
✦ Original characters and canon welcome.[break]
✦ 3 character slots free. Buy more from the shop and maintain activity with current characters.[break]
✦ Canon characters are first come, first served.[break]
✦ Players can only have up to 2 canon characters at a time.[break]
✦ No systems cause I hate numbers and complicating things.[break]
✦ Would like it to follow with each patch release (not spoiler-free).[break]
✦ Set in an alternate Teyvat.

last edit on Jan 3, 2021 22:56:14 GMT by ✦ MAD
pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar
Yes pls, IDK how I feel about buying canon characters but I'm biased because I'd really like to find a place to play Venti and I know I'd never get a chance to with that system lkjdgs;lkd, someone would definitely beat me to it. But I've been kind of thinking a Genshin site would be cool. I really enjoy the world and lore quite a bit and I think it's got a lot of potential! Definitely interested!
23written posts
wordearned bits
offlinecurrently
word
word Avatar
frankly speaking, quite iffy on canons. for such a popular game, there's more demand than supply, and there are plenty of interpretations for each character that it's bound to cause some friction. generally, only one lucky/early/active bird will get that one canon, leaving those with more life commitments unable to enjoy something that they want to do, too.

then, a player who plays zhongli may have 0 knowledge on asian culture that they accidentally touched taboo, fan theories on kaeya/dainsleif/albedo(generally khaenri'ah) might take root only for future patch releases to straight out debunk it- things like that may be a problem too.

don't get me wrong though! i really like genshin, and an rp of it would be interesting. just, i don't know. canons are iffy. especially if fans see their characters doing something ooc. it might work better in a tight group of friends, but if forums are meant to be public but only some can enjoy certain roles... i suppose it's all just hobbies and writing. just my two cents.
214written posts
✦ MADearned bits
offlinecurrently
✦ MAD
✦ MAD Avatar
[nospaces]

All of that makes total sense. I could see so many issues with it. Thinking of all the friction it could cause is now veering me towards no canons [sorry Ludo :c ].[break][break]
I very much rather make it easy on staff. I had thought of having canon roles have to do roleplay samples, but now... Feels like having to approve a canon role would be more stress inducing. ><

Genshin Impact written Jan 1, 2021 14:40:11 GMT via mobile
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,235written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
hi there, hello, i don't know genshin impact, but i was summoned by The Discourse (tm), so i am here to make a case for why you should reconsider whether or not to allow canons. since uh. a lot of the reasons why you're reconsidering them now aren't really good arguments, in my opinion, for a variety of reasons.

since uh. y'know. animated panfandoms exist to lower some of that competition for canons in the first place (since imo you're only gonna get people with a make-or-break canon experience if they're wanting to play a canon only in the canon setting, for obvious reasons). but also real talk? as someone who admined canon-focused superhero sites for three years and now runs an atla site that allows canons and ocs........ you tend to have more problems with getting canons taken at all between the member turnover and who actually gets picked up on the site than you do people throwing fits about xyz canon being taken (since imo if someone wants childe and childe is taken, they just won't join).

i also honestly disagree with treating them any different than you would an oc in regards to a lot of policies (like the app process) because just..... honestly, who cares if a canon reveal yeets out a headcanon? that's the risk you take with any active series, and part of rping a canon in the first place means you're going to be picking and choosing what you're using and what you're ignoring (plus imo it's not as if the panfans are hand-wringing about it), not to mention that this is a problem that can apply to ocs as well since, y'know, if it's a world-building lore drop, that can mess people up. and real talk, an rp sample is honestly not gonna give you any more context of how "in-character" a canon is that a freeform app would. it just. isn't. and as far as the racism concerns go...... listen, as someone who is currently running a site where we're making a conscious effort to be respectful to the original cultures in the world inspiration..... we actually tend to have more issues with ocs than we do canons in that regard (since the canons tend to be a little more researched or at least have a canon to work around that an oc just doesn't).

from a more personal standpoint on a different rp site in this kind of a vein (arknights, it's arknights) - i actually find that a lot of the appeal of that setting isn't there without the canons. in a small way, yes, it is because i do want to play them, but much more poignantly for me, it's because taking out the canons leaves the world feeling much more hollow and flat, like it's missing that spark and drive that make the setting so vibrant. i feel the places where those canons are missing, even if they're filled with site canon ocs instead, and it ends up feeling like a lost tooth where my tongue can't help but poke at that gap.

personally, if it were me? i'd make the canons available period with the caveats of, like, you can't take two of the major canons or two canons who heavily interact with each other. and on the flip side, with ocs, you can't stuff the canons into them in an influential manner without that canon's blessing (whether that be a relative or a childhood best friend or something) just because imo that's going to add on extra baggage that might make it harder to get that canon taken. and then just..... make sure that you create a world where canons and ocs can have equal footing in terms of impact on the site and hype for plotting that gets followed through on. (honestly, the last one tends to be a lil harder, but given how animanga shies away from canons, i actually think it's more likely here than in rl tbeh.)

........ i'll get down off my soapbox now. this is just. a topic i'm really passionate about. it's 2021, my friends, can't we have more fandom sites where canons and ocs can exist together in harmony?
last edit on Jan 1, 2021 16:07:40 GMT by Kuroya

pronounsshe/her
151written posts
shanimalearned bits
offlinecurrently
shanimal
shanimal Avatar
of course i am for peace, of course i am for peace. one that suits me.
quoting the bits and pieces where i have something to say-- cause i *do* know genshin impact and obvs i can only comment on certain things as a panfandom admin rather than canons in canon setting:
Kuroya Avatar

animated panfandoms exist to lower some of that competition for canons in the first place

i also honestly disagree with treating them any different than you would an oc in regards to a lot of policies (like the app process) because just..... honestly, who cares if a canon reveal yeets out a headcanon? that's the risk you take with any active series, and part of rping a canon in the first place means you're going to be picking and choosing what you're using and what you're ignoring (plus imo it's not as if the panfans are hand-wringing about it), not to mention that this is a problem that can apply to ocs as well since, y'know, if it's a world-building lore drop, that can mess people up. and real talk, an rp sample is honestly not gonna give you any more context of how "in-character" a canon is that a freeform app would. it just. isn't. and as far as the racism concerns go...... listen, as someone who is currently running a site where we're making a conscious effort to be respectful to the original cultures in the world inspiration..... we actually tend to have more issues with ocs than we do canons in that regard (since the canons tend to be a little more researched or at least have a canon to work around that an oc just doesn't).

personally, if it were me? i'd make the canons available period with the caveats of, like, you can't take two of the major canons or two canons who heavily interact with each other. and on the flip side, with ocs, you can't stuff the canons into them in an influential manner without that canon's blessing (whether that be a relative or a childhood best friend or something) just because imo that's going to add on extra baggage that might make it harder to get that canon taken. and then just..... make sure that you create a world where canons and ocs can have equal footing in terms of impact on the site and hype for plotting that gets followed through on. (honestly, the last one tends to be a lil harder, but given how animanga shies away from canons, i actually think it's more likely here than in rl tbeh.)

........ i'll get down off my soapbox now. this is just. a topic i'm really passionate about. it's 2021, my friends, can't we have more fandom sites where canons and ocs can exist together in harmony?
most importantly i'd like to comment on the risk of headcanons being disrupted. even on panfandom that's an issue, and clearly there's times where an app may need rewritten or have something incorporated into it versus just a minor, ignorable headcanon factoid that comes out in lore. it's up to you on how you want to handle it, but even with original characters there's the possibility of something coming out and totally ruining the backstory of a character, especially if they hail from areas we don't have access to yet. that's kind of the give and take of having characters or a setting from an active series: it's more popular and relevant and you're going to get more content and more people interested in your site than a series that's been quiet and stagnant for some time, but it's kind of like schrodinger's lore drop in terms of what it will do to how you write a canon or an oc in that canon setting.

as for the rules re: how many canons you can take and OC interaction, that's how most panfandoms (and panfandoms that allow OCs) go by and think it's a good rule.

also, due to the nature of panfandoms with most having freeform or traditional applications, i don't think you need a special application process for canons. otherwise there's places they can go to do an app they're used to without jumping through hoops, even if it's not the canon setting. freeform especially allows people to get creative and i've seen some absolutely wonderful and beautiful work with those types of apps.

anyway that's my two cents stan beidou

23written posts
wordearned bits
offlinecurrently
word
word Avatar
Kuroya Avatar
it's 2021, my friends, can't we have more fandom sites where canons and ocs can exist together in harmony?

i agree with your points and with shanimal's too. canons do make the world more lively and more true to the original work, but it's unfortunate that for such an active series with plot twists sure to come up down the line, it's absolutely risky/quite unfeasible to have a site follow with each patch release. it's a bit different for the site you're running, since tla have already established its own lore and characters and have mostly concluded(within aang's generation). people know what they're getting into. (...unless the creators do a jk rowling but afaik they don't, aside from the comics which don't really have the same following as the cartoon)

...so instead of having it follow the game's story, having a new story/plot inspired off the worldbuilding genshin already have could be the better way to still rp in genshin without ruining backstories when plot twists inevitably gets revealed. it won't have the same 'spirit' as the original work, but... well, it's an active series. sooner down the line, it'll be different from the original work too. 

also @ canons not getting filled: i am quite sure that the popular characters will be in huge demand, since this is genshin with a rather large and active following. 
last edit on Jan 1, 2021 20:04:36 GMT by word
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,235written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!

i will. reply to this once and then let it be. because i honestly don't want to clog up an interest check for a site i'm not actually interested in joining just to debate whether allowing canon characters on a fandom site is a good move or not in the abstract.

for a brief overview - i actually do have experience running a canon-focused site in an active fandom since i used to run a marvel/dc site between 2016 and 2020 (which dumped me in the middle of civil war and infinity war just in the mcu alone) so uh. i'm not speaking out of my rear to say that running a site in an active fandom means you have to roll with the punches period and that it's honestly not that much of a stretch to let canons do what they have to do to make things work. and that you'd be surprised how many popular canons end up open between just "i can't believe no one picked them up" and "wow we just can't seem to keep this canon played huh".

again. i am not intimately familiar with genshin impact. for all i know, it's a fairly easy transition to convert the canon characters into canon roles and have it be fine. but i also know that this transition is not always seamless and sometimes doing that can be a detriment to the wider universe (since imo characters drive the plot that changes the setting that shapes the characters), especially if it's not done well (such as replacing giovanni with basically a giovanni clone using ookurikawa or replacing silver's role with an n clone without understanding the full consequences of this).

my entire purpose of the op was to just. put a hand gently on mad's shoulder and just. "it's okay for you to let canons and ocs co-exist in the same space if you think you can bring the world to life better this way. you would almost definitely have people interested in playing them, and as long as you're willing to put in the work to make sure the combination works as fleshing out the universe and expanding it as opposed to putting the canons on an untouchable pedestal or walling off the ocs from any impact on the site, i think you could actually pull it off really well. so please don't be afraid to make space at the table for both since, trust me, it's not going to be half as much of a headache as you're fearing it is unless you actively make it that."
last edit on Jan 1, 2021 20:49:16 GMT by Kuroya

214written posts
✦ MADearned bits
offlinecurrently
✦ MAD
✦ MAD Avatar
[nospaces]

I really appreciate all the input you guys shared here. I think I'll give the canon characters a go. It might bring its issues, but I like giving people the option to play what they like (even if I don't play canon characters myself). I was planning on doing a beta-testing phase, so this will be a good moment to check out what works.[break][break]
Because of the points you guys brought up here, I think it'd be best to have the canon roles be first come first serve. Unless anyone else had a suggestion on what to do for canon roles?

pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar
Honestly I think fcfs is a fine way to go about it, I've run sites with canons where there's not a HUGE amount to go around and no one really kicked up any fuss with that method? Kuro is right in that you'd be surprised how hard it is to fill canon spots sometimes tbh,  much more than one might expect, even in REALLY popular fandoms!

Like you said that's what betas and soft opens are for anyway, if one method doesn't work it gives you space to fix it or change your approach!

ANYWAY, I'm gonna be on the lookout regardless and would love a holler when the Discord is up! ^^
pronounsHe/Him
10written posts
Mimicearned bits
offlinecurrently
Mimic
Mimic Avatar
I heard genshin impact and immediately hopped in. I've only played it a bit but stopped after the 2nd region. (since i'm waiting for switch release)

First come first serve with the canons should naturally be the way it goes, i don't think anyone has a problem with that. Though my question since it follows the patches what would happen if a canon character ends up dying later on and etc.

Also another question since it's following the updates, does that mean our characters can't do anything major? Or will there be a way for us to influence the story be it small or big?

pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar
I was actually going to suggest NOT following the updates strictly, because what happens to the roleplay when we go a length of time without one? Do we just stop writing anything major? We're not 100% sure how often new story stuff would even be put in there(unless we do and I'm not aware)

I think part of the draw of sites like this is the ability to potentially influence the plot, especially with OCs, since if OCs can't influence the plot outside of the strict canon story...Well they're left with not much to do besides mill around the world.

I wouldn't let people do anything TOO WILD without talking to staff, but some breathing room is much more of a draw than locking everyone into a strict plot? IDK if I'm making any sense I hope someone can word this better.

That also accounts for canons who might die in game, makes it so they don't HAVE to die on the site?

What I would do: Pick a canon point in the current story and have it be an au branch-off beyond that, maybe pull some plot details and event ideas from updates and patches, but let people influence the story beyond that!
214written posts
✦ MADearned bits
offlinecurrently
✦ MAD
✦ MAD Avatar
[nospaces]

My idea for this issue was this: [break][break]
The traveler is exactly that, right? A traveler of worlds. This means there are more worlds out there. They've hinted that the world of Honkai Impact is in the same universe. I figured our Teyvat could be just an alternate universe, where we can follow/get ideas from the current events, but not follow things to the T. In our Teyvat some characters will still be alive, and some events could be caused by other characters instead. As long as we're having fun with it I don't mind veering off the path. ;3

last edit on Jan 3, 2021 22:05:26 GMT by ✦ MAD
the narrative
aliasCel, Nightlock
pronounsShe/They
701written posts
CELearned bits
offlinecurrently
CEL
Part of the Furniture
CEL Avatar
mankind, be vigilant; we loved you.
buddy, god YES please, i am so down for a GI site. xiao come home

on the business of canons - all good and imo theyre pretty pivotal to the world. especially those like harbingers and archons. smaller ones like, say, beidou or chongyun (not an anti btw but imo they arent on the same world building level as, say, venti and childe) don't have this same effect but theyd still be fun to see around too. first come first serve basis can easily be done too, i believe. player interpretation is player interpretation.

i also like the idea that this is an au tevyat and, imo, that could also be a good way to excuse if canons don't follow the game's plans entirely. if anything, i actually think thats a pretty genius way of sliding past the "canon lore" restrictions too. so i'd be absolutely down for something like that.
last edit on Jan 3, 2021 22:18:59 GMT by CEL

coming soon.