pronounsshe / they
16written posts
spectrumearned bits
offlinecurrently
spectrum
spectrum Avatar
the edgelord
Walker Street

Walker Street is an upcoming supernatural urban horror roleplay. It draws heavy inspiration from the Shin Megami Tensei and Golden Playhouse franchise(s), Silent Hill, Control, and episodic anthology stories in the vein of Welcome to Night Vale or the Twilight Zone, as well as horror media more generally.

Players have the option to play characters that manifest psychic powers and are attuned to psychic phenomena, dark entities inspired by mythology and urban legends, and time traveling agents in the style of the Umbrella Academy, Life is Strange, or Stephen King's 11/22/63, with a stronger bend towards traditionalist horror tropes or staples. The game will be Jcink Premium, 18+, rated M, and feature full content exploration, apart from certain off-limit topics that are explicitly outlined by staff.

The site is roughly 90% complete and coming together nicely, with a tentative opening for early May. This is a passion project so it is opening no matter what, but I'd love to gauge any questions or early interest! If this sounds like something that you might like to take a look at, drop me a line in this thread or over private message!

Also note that I am looking for 2 additional staff folkx, if that's your thing! I'd love to chat if you might want to assist with moderation. ❤

SPECIAL MENTIONS:

- An original setting that features semi-realistic occult magic, psychedelic mind-body powers, feuds with the gods, and time travel!

- Animanga, videogame, illustrated, or no faceclaims! Do what you want.

- No activity checks or wordcount!

- It is death enabled! But your character can come back to life through revival mechanics, as well as continue in-play as a ghost for a cooldown period! And with all their weird, trippy memories of dying fully intact!

- A series of 20 major apocalyptic event scenarios to play through – watch your characters sink or swim as the apocalypse unfolds! 4 of these are fully in development and pre-planned, and all events would in theory last 3 months with a 1 month cool-off.

- Demon or "dark entity" characters can form Faustian contracts with other in-game groups, acting as (occasionally impish) servants and benefactors!

- A freeform app! Once accepted, members can continue to update their applications throughout the game with new developments and make edits as they wish! We also offer a personal timeline that doubles as a thread tracker on a character-by-character basis.

- A wide variety of customized templates to pick and choose from, including for development threads!

- In-game consequences provided through RNGs! Messing with psychic powers, bending the timestream, and interacting with the Unknown that serves as the origin point for demons and other dark creatures results in multiple potential outcomes. This includes abilities backfiring, being attacked by the environment, becoming a different entity over time, losing and gaining powers, breakdowns with reality, the risk of encountering undead hordes, and being (temporarily) stuck as a ghost after dying!

PLOT OVERVIEW:

While it has no conventional overarching plot, functioning as a sandbox game with optional mystery elements, Walker Street revolves around three major pillars:

1. A government conspiracy, the accident that destroyed its head research facility in 1981, and time travel shenanigans put in play by a mysterious entity called THEM.

2. The primordial divine war of the Law and the Un-Law, otherwise known as Law and Chaos.

3. Twenty apocalyptic events that herald the end of the known universe and the 3rd dimension, cryptically referred to in government files as "World's End." 

But one warning – much of the narrative happened long ago, in the Gastin of 1981 and earlier. Emphatically a mystery and survival horror roleplay, players will be key to unraveling these past events by participating in those scenarios that supposedly will lead to World's End ... or they can enjoy building their own stories surrounding the forces of law and chaos. Sitewide storyline participation is fully optional!

The storyline will involve characters impacting and experiencing the apocalypse multiple times. While dying is part of this, every apocalyptic scenario will be unique and reveal new, non-essential details about Gastin's universe. To clean up the loose ends, each is treated as an alternate dimension, so your characters just reset back to creepy normalcy afterwards! Nobody knows why, it's better to not ask.

Currently slated for our opening: an alien invasion styled with inspiration from Neon Genesis Evangelion and War of the Worlds! And nuclear fallout references! How delightful.

THE SETTING:

Walker Street takes place in the fictional city of Gastin, Arkansas. A scenic landscape settled nicely between the Southern and the Midwestern United States, it draws heavily from Jackson, Chicago, and Saint Louis as inspiration. Altogether a pleasant place on the surface, when you get past its moniker of Murder Town – for all the people who disappeared on Historic Route 67.

Oh, and its reputation for strange things; cryptid sightings, inexplicable accidents, bloody incidents, a plethora of ghost stories, and a collapsed 1950s government research facility entombed underground.

Oh, and! The fact that sometimes it warps into a Hell Gate dimension. Can't forget to mention that minor detail.

last edit on Apr 22, 2021 18:37:51 GMT by spectrum
take it easy.
aliascae
pronounsshe/her
534written posts
caeearned bits
offlinecurrently
cae
Part of the Furniture
cae Avatar
let's live our lives heroically / let's live our lives with style
quick question about fc's: are you saying that we can just like, grab a random pic off google images and use that?
hype for this btw.
last edit on Apr 23, 2021 17:52:35 GMT by cae
pronounsshe / they
16written posts
spectrumearned bits
offlinecurrently
spectrum
spectrum Avatar
the edgelord
Awww, to all those kind enough to like in this thread and/or reach out: appreciate u, thanks. ❤ Friendly encouragement is nice since horror is a niche genre!

: not exactly! To keep things flexible and fresh, aesthetic images are allowed (either photography or illustrated), but we do have a credit custom field that players need to fill out. We encourage everyone to be responsible and respectful to the artists, too! So: let’s say that you really love vacuum and want her work to represent your profile image. To use it, you would need to be able to source her AND couldn’t edit the art, as per her request for the use of her artwork. The same goes for photography that isn't free use stock. If the artist says, “don’t do this to use,” then we expect our players to acknowledge that.

There are also some limitations on the type of artwork. A member would be totally good if using surrealist imagery but couldn’t use explicit body horror. People’s mileage varies visually, and I feel it’s not good practice to be insensitive to this since visual images are something guests/members can’t avoiding looking at as part of browsing. 

Speaking of not-so-subtly pimping artists! As a gift, have a preview of some central design elements + visual aesthetic! These images were drawn by the lovely Choo, whose retro-manga art is found on twitter and features heavily in the site!

Stay tuned!
last edit on Apr 23, 2021 22:42:18 GMT by spectrum
pronounsshe / they
16written posts
spectrumearned bits
offlinecurrently
spectrum
spectrum Avatar
the edgelord
I did say SMT, yup~! i also love SMT and its bajillions of spinoffs so

Anywho, thank you again to anyone else who has since reached out or expressed interest! ❤❤❤ I figured, since I'm chilling here already, why not give :druuuuuuumroll:

an update!

1. Site Progress - we're doin' good! I've roped in what looks like it might be 3 other staff minions to assist me in my horrifying work! Send your gratitude out into the universe if this is something you may be thinking about joining.

Right now, I'd place everything at around 96% done.

2. I've decided to move the 1st event out either a month or two, to give folkx time to settle in and get their plots rollin' first. But! I'll aim to make the final product real cool in the meantime.

We will be running a thread starter/dev prompt contest out of the gate tho! These will always be horror themed and you can get ~*~shiny images~*~. (And, for those who win, a character featured in our header!)

3. Having sat around and had a good thought about my own interests as an admin, I've split the site more evenly to 50% storyline and 50% "horror-murder-and-mystery sandbox." Both sides were always present, but everything's finessed now and fits together better in our lore. The hope is to give both sides something to enjoy as they write with us, so cheers!

For those of you into storyline beats, here's a preview of some cool alignment stuff and a lead NPC:

Whew, there we are! As another note, I was asked to give a preview of the site.

I've decided this is a great idea, and will be extending the opportunity to anyone who might wanna take a 1st look! (They'll have to wait a littttttle bit longer, but I'll get that preview to 'em! It'll be Soon:tm:. . .)

You can like this post or send me a pm if you're curious, and I will waitlist you for it. Our discord will be public in the coming week or so too!

That's all for now! Stay tuned!
pronounsshe / they
16written posts
spectrumearned bits
offlinecurrently
spectrum
spectrum Avatar
the edgelord
AFTER MUCH TO DO . . .

I am back with an update. ❤❤❤ And my excitement is high, so y'know that is also a thing!

Our progress is about 99%, meaning that we are going to be sending out our preview tomorrow and allowing anybody interested to join our discord! Although we are getting our reserves ready ourselves and still tweaking a couple o' minor things, we'd be happy to see you there if you want to settle in, take a look, or ask questions.

A lot of what's left is helping out my staff team to get them all ready to go and organizing last minute stuff. Everyone's been lovely and brought a ton of enthusiasm to the site so far! I'm personally very proud of what we've got in store, along with what's been put together, and psyched to share our creativity with folkx that are curious!

WALKER STREET has a tentative (soft, since we are treating it as a beta period) site opening date in the next 7 days!!! A lil later than I guessed, but: stay tuned.
pronounsshe / they
16written posts
spectrumearned bits
offlinecurrently
spectrum
spectrum Avatar
the edgelord
A quick note that everyone who reached out has gotten a message to preview the site! If you would like a discord invitation in the meantime, give me a head's up and I would be happy to private message you.

Thanks again to anyone intrigued by the premise and please look forward to the opening!