aliasdismay
pronounsshe/her
445written posts
fossaearned bits
offlinecurrently
fossa
fossa Avatar
he's suppose to be DEAD
one of the things that annoys me with my writing A LOT is my reliance on explicitly stating where my character is looking. i do it too much?? so what are some ways to imply ur character's attention is changing without going HER GAZE MOVED ACROSS THE ROOM or SHE LOOKED AT THE POTTED PLANT or SHE WATCHES THEIR FEET.

i'm this close to banning myself from even using words related to looking or eyes in my writing so i break the habit.

help??
pronounsD A R K
258written posts
offlinecurrently
Death is just a new beginning.
fossa Avatar
one of the things that annoys me with my writing A LOT is my reliance on explicitly stating where my character is looking. i do it too much?? so what are some ways to imply ur character's attention is changing without going HER GAZE MOVED ACROSS THE ROOM or SHE LOOKED AT THE POTTED PLANT or SHE WATCHES THEIR FEET.

i'm this close to banning myself from even using words related to looking or eyes in my writing so i break the habit.

help??

I'd have to see a post to fully judge. I doubt it's too bad. xD I tend to really talk a lot about what my characters are doing because I guess I always fantasize coming back and drawing the scene and in order to do that I need to know specifics. I try not to repeat in my posts though because it becomes really noticeable when I read it out loud, so maybe focus on not clustering your gazes too close together? ? ? Again, going blind at this. xP I'll try to put together a pile of different ways to say looking somewhere maybe give some ideas on other ways you can write it so you won't feel frustrated with it?

Her eyes looked this way.
Her gaze moved towards.
The sight of the door opening drew her attention.
The hues of her eyes settled onto this object.

That's the best I can think of. OTL; Sorry if none of this helps. BUT just know that I tried! -bow bow-
last edit on Oct 16, 2021 17:42:07 GMT by 𝓛𝓪𝓭𝔂 𝓐𝓭𝓲𝓻𝓪
540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
Garfield's gaze moved over the lasagna on the counter. -->
Garfiled noticed John left lasagna on the counter.
Garfield peered at the lasagna John left on the counter.
The smell of lasanga drew Garfield's attention to the counter.
The sound of a pan hitting the counter captured Garfield's attention. It was lasagna!
Garfield's stomach rumbled. John had left lasagna on the counter.

last edit on Oct 16, 2021 18:04:57 GMT by Sharp
aliasdismay
pronounsshe/her
445written posts
fossaearned bits
offlinecurrently
fossa
fossa Avatar
he's suppose to be DEAD
LMAOO thank u guys for the replies but let me try rephrasing: what are ways i can imply my character is looking at something without mentioning anything to do with attention / eyes / gazes.

"The sound of a pan hitting the counter captured Garfield's attention. It was lasagna!"
"Garfield's stomach rumbled. John had left lasagna on the counter."
so these r really close to what i mean. b/c you can assume garfield is looking at that there spicy lasagna even tho u haven't said he's looking right at it.
the multi-fool
pronounsshe/her
140written posts
sleepyearned bits
offlinecurrently
sleepy
sleepy Avatar
it's a feast for my eyes
ooo maybe placing more focus on what the character is observing? you can also hint at the direction they were facing using their actions! like:

The lasagna was fresh out of the oven, steam still rising off its melted, cheesy surface. Jon’s oven mitt hands placed it on the table, and from this angle, every inch of its deliciousness could be observed. As Jon turned to fetch a knife, the orange menace attacked from above.

... yes, i am hungry