Jcink vs Proboards

pronounsshe/her
113written posts
mintieeearned bits
offlinecurrently
mintiee
mintiee Avatar
Hi everyone!  I'm just really curious about the general climate re: hosting preferences right now.  Do folks these days tend to prefer jcink, proboards, or something else?  As far as staffing sites, I'm most familiar with jcink and somewhat well-versed with Xenforo, but I've always been interested in touching proboards.  I haven't written on one in a solid decade, so I'm very interested in hearing about the pros and cons of potentially starting a site on it!

... is what I would say if I weren't retired from staffing.
This is fine.

540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
mintiee Avatar
Hi everyone!  I'm just really curious about the general climate re: hosting preferences right now.  Do folks these days tend to prefer jcink, proboards, or something else?  As far as staffing sites, I'm most familiar with jcink and somewhat well-versed with Xenforo, but I've always been interested in touching proboards.  I haven't written on one in a solid decade, so I'm very interested in hearing about the pros and cons of potentially starting a site on it!

... is what I would say if I weren't retired from staffing.
This is fine.

Proboards has recent posts which is a format some perfer for quickly viewing all the posts of they day. Proboards also runs through cloud flare which is trusted for DDOS protection from places like facebook, twitter, and linked in. Proboards doesn't allow the use of html but you can use plug ins for templates.

JCink has a wider adoption rate, the ability to post from whatever account you are linked to, and affordable options to host mature content. JCink has some problems with DDOS from time to tiem. JCink allows you to enable parsed html.

To be honest discord has really taken over a lot of the user interface experience either way at this point. These days I look at discord to see if someone posted for me. It is where most people plot.

pronounsl i g h t
28written posts
ร I N Eearned bits
offlinecurrently
ร I N E
ร I N E Avatar
From a staffing viewpoint, if you're looking for the forum host that is going to get you more traffic, that would be Jcink. It has been the more popular host in recent years and some people do have a strict jcink-only policy.

The pros and cons of Proboards will be different per person. What may be a fantastic feature for some may not be for someone else. Proboards sites have been my main for the past decade, but I have joined Jcink sites as well. So I'll list off my own pros and cons toward the platform:

I love its recent posts and recent threads features. Proboards Recent Threads allows a listing of all threads, 50 pages back, and spans months (if not years) of activity. Then there is the Recent Posts feature, which is one of my favorite things, as it gives you a first-hand look at all of the activity without having to click into each thread individually. It has always helped me to feel more immersed in the ongoings of the site by being able to see everyone's content right in front of my eyes.

In my opinion, the Proboards Admin Control Panel is extremely user-friendly, technologically advanced, and intuitive. It has a lot of updated features such as the click-and-drag of categories and boards. You do not have to number them for placement and organization. You just have to click and drag them to where you want them to go. This includes the making of sub-boards and their placements as well. Everything is typically a one-click process.

I love, love, love Proboards live preview feature. For me, that's probably either a #1 or #2 on my list. This is probably a really bizarre pro from me, and I'm not sure if anyone else is in love with this like me, but I love bringing up Chrome's Developer Tools while in live-preview mode and editing the entire posting template live right there on the platform. All the edits I make are automatically changed in the bbc code/preview as I make them.

Another big pro for me personally is Proboards ability to auto-allow the account holder to not only delete their own posts but to delete their own account. I am very big on my content being my own and I really appreciate that freedom. It is also very convenient to delete your own post when you make a ooopsie mistake. I do not need to go to a staff member to ask them to delete a double post or a starter in the wrong area. I have control over all of that myself.

I enjoy the like system and being able to like others posts to show them appreciation.

I also heavily rely on Proboards tagging system. I am not a heavy Discord user and do not like feeling forced to use the Discord. So a tagging system or notification system is really beneficial to me.

The Participated Threads pop up is also essential to me, as it is the main way I quickly see who has posted for me and what threads I owe.

I think Proboards biggest con for me is its lack of [dohtml] capabilities. While I adore the live-preview and ability to edit html and css into the document real-time with Developer Tools, it is true that Proboards does not automatically allow ALL html. There are certain things that need newclass to work and it would be a blessing if Proboards had the full html capabilities of Jcink while also maintaining that live-preview feature.

Proboards multiple-accounts feature is not as intuitive as Jcinks. Jcink is more advanced and useful in its multiple-accounts features. Proboards does require you to click "Switch Account", which takes you to another page, and from there you click which account to be switched. With Jcink it all happens in the exact same page and Jcink also has the ability to change who posted up a reply. Proboards, unfortunately, cannot do that. Also when you "Switch Accounts" it won't always load you to the previous page you were on. Sometimes it will load you back to the homepage. So this can be very inconveniencing.
last edit on Nov 16, 2021 19:49:05 GMT by ร I N E
pronounshe/him
734written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
i pretty much refuse to join proboards sites that require more than one account because i hate its account switcher that much. i also hate proboards coding so i won't join a proboards site that requires templates. because of that, pixel perfect is the only proboards site i've been on in years.

i see the other benefits of proboards, but really I just can't get behind it when Jcink also has file hosting for every image I use on my site.

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
pronounsD A R K
259written posts
offlinecurrently
Death is just a new beginning.
I'm the opposite. xD I refuse to ever join a jcink site. Because I despise having no control over my OWN content. Proboards, I can delete my posts, my accounts etc. Everything I make is protected that way. Whereas with jcink you are at the mercy of the admins and from my experience it never goes the way you want it to. Even when you practically beg them to delete your content because you've been stolen from before. ^^;;;

Things I hate about proboards though is how you can lose posts when you switch accounts. It's a pain. I don't mind account switching though. I like mostly clicking switch forum because it gives me a great view of all my accounts, notifications, pms, bookmarks etc. From ALL my proboards forums. And I like that I can customize it further by click off individual accounts I don't want to see or moving a board up to the top if it's most active for me.

I really like proboards live preview feature, and really hate jcinks lack of and also just general posting area, not sure if it's all the code and inability to see what your post looks like while editing (as in editing a written post not the code xD)...but it just really zaps my motivation.

I'm excited for v6 of proboards though since issues I've brought up with them (like how when you paste into the live preview mode it spaces it really weird) and they say that it's repaired in the next version.

All and all though, my advice is 1: try both out for yourself, even just joining a jcink site/proboards site will give you a clear vision of what YOU personally like/don't like about it. Or 2: I'd suggest jcink. XD;;; Since, in the end, the biggest advantage jcink has is that there are a lot of people who will only join jcink and even more people who like it more than proboards. So you will 100% get a bigger audience if you pick jcink.

Best of luck though to you whatever you choose!
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,238written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
how have i not posted in this topic yet, what kind of a team jcinker am i-

honestly, i am. one of those kinds of people that have already been mentioned where i will never join another proboards site even if it happened to be The Best Site Ever (tm) and Everything I Ever Wanted In A Site (tm) just because i dislike the user interface that much (that account switcher breaks me, okay, i have an entire rant about it but john mulaney voice "now we don't have time to unpack all of that").

i really do love jcink though - i personally find it a lot easier to skin for than proboards, i like a lot of the unique features of it (multimods are a godsend and you can pry my ability to post an approval notice + lock the thread + move it to the right board in a single click from my cold dead hands), i feel a lot less stressed over content boundaries between premium's accessibility + the general community vibes i get from either platform's site admin teams, and honestly the only feature from proboards that i actively miss is the block feature (i use it for resource sites so i can try to keep myself from seeing posts that will get me worked up for one reason or another).

that being said though, i will be honest that while the general forum-based rp community vastly prefers jcink, the animanga forum-based community is much more evenly split (the best tl;dr way i know to describe it is that the real life community moved to jcink with the release of proboards v5 where animanga didn't, and sure, it's not a perfect observation, but again, We Don't Have Time To Unpack All Of That). there's definitely some variation depending on the exact genre you're in (ie, pokemon rps strongly favor proboards while animated panfandoms strongly favor jcink), but i don't honestly don't think any site would be dead on arrival simply because of its host platform (the overall audience for the site + tolerability of the overall site systems / policies are probably much larger factors in that regard).

of course, with proboards v6 on the horizon, that will likely have some impacts in the long-term (since rn, proboards is the easier software for less code-savvy admins to work with, but with v6 likely to wipe the code banks of available premade skins again at a time when most coders don't make premades anymore in favor of commissions + when most coders don't code for proboards anymore, they might get largely pushed out simply because of a lack of competitive skins to attract people outside of a handful of individual coders), but it's difficult to predict it since animanga is a largely decentralized community and thus kind of hard to observe trends for since they don't always collect in on the same watering holes of resource sites. so. yeah.

tl;dr "i personally like jcink, i think it is very neat for many reasons; yes, jcink is popular with the overall forum community, but within animanga, the community is much more split between proboards + jcink, with a few genre-based exceptions, but who tf knows what proboards v6 will do to that balance, guess we'll see when the dust ends up settling after the initial release + resulting panic die down."

aliasphimbolina
pronounsfeminine
552written posts
PHIMBOearned bits
offlinecurrently
PHIMBO
Part of the Furniture
PHIMBO Avatar
So, too, is Death possessed of infinite strategies and a gaunt nature.
i used to code for proboards back in 2009-2012 era... but for v4. when they switched to v5 that was what broke this camel's back thus, i left pb for jcink and never had 2nd thots.

i actually started on invisionfree (primarily, long gone resource sites) - a bygone forum host platform that was... is essentially jcink. both share the same software, however additional features proved jcink to be the superior option between the two (at the time). because of my roots and my familiarity with the software i favor john cink jcink over proboards and chiefly for the reasons listed above (multimods, easier interface to navigate, intuitive multi-account feature, mature content allowance, etc). personally i've not coded a skin in years, so i'm speaking from a lurker/member (and a sometimes casual admin) perspective on a surface level.

kuroya brings up an interesting point, and that's the community. the animanga republic community has always been decentralized for years; at one point favoritism pointed towards proboards before the inception of jcink (for a time i joined proboard sites bc the subject matter i wanted to write (one piece) could only be found on pb).

today i say its 50/50.

selfishly i will always boast jcink > proboards, but pb does have 1 thing going better than mr john cink.... and its their recent posts feature, on gawd.

839written posts
SPIRELEearned bits
offlinecurrently
SPIRELE
Part of the Furniture
SPIRELE Avatar
sir, sir! the animangas are praising jCINk again

they've breached pixel perfect

fuck WHAT DO WE do

they outnumber us 203942084 genshin and fate fcs to 1 obscure anime from the 90s

we can't last

CAPTAIN PB WHAT DO WE DO?

HAVE FAITH; FOR THE LORD BLESSED THOSE WHO FIND SALVATION IN THE LIGHT
last edit on Dec 9, 2021 4:46:46 GMT by SPIRELE
932written posts
gimmickearned bits
offlinecurrently
gimmick
Part of the Furniture
gimmick Avatar
All birds and men are sure to die but songs may live forever
From the perspective of a member and coder, things I like more about Proboards than Jcink:
- recent posts
- being able to delete my own posts
- urls are friendlier, don't need to memorize that whole &act=getCODE or whatever it is
- saving profile changes is faster because it doesn't require the whole page to reload
- accounts being linked to one master account across separate sites, for the sole reason that it's a nifty way of looking back at where I've been... As for how multi accounts work on one site, that's a different story

Things I like more about Jcink than Proboards
- everything else.

If we want to get specific:
- display names match usernamesโ€”which makes tagging so much easierโ€”and usernames can be changed
- custom ubbc codes
- dohtml. Dohtml. Dohtml
- how multi accounts are handledโ€”switching between them, pushing alerts to a parent one

More generally though, it doesn't seem like the best time to pick up Proboards when v6 is looming on the horizon and might cause you have to relearn skins and codes and everything.
last edit on Dec 9, 2021 5:55:23 GMT by gimmick
the endless hunt
aliasleto, blobert, crow
pronounshe / they
1,390written posts
ullaearned bits
offlinecurrently
ulla
Administrator
ulla Avatar
in turning divine, we tangle endlessly
gimmick Avatar
From the perspective of a member and coder, things I like more about Proboards than Jcink:
- being able to delete my own posts
just popping in here really quickly to say that you actually can delete your own posts on jcink, it's just something that has to be set up in the admin panel for the member group. iirc, the default setting is that you cannot and it's likely that a lot of people don't realize that this can be changed - but you definitely can configure your jcink site so that your own posts can be deleted by you!
pronounsD A R K
259written posts
offlinecurrently
Death is just a new beginning.
ulla Avatar
just popping in here really quickly to say that you actually can delete your own posts on jcink, it's just something that has to be set up in the admin panel for the member group. iirc, the default setting is that you cannot and it's likely that a lot of people don't realize that this can be changed - but you definitely can configure your jcink site so that your own posts can be deleted by you!

I learned this recently! But the issue I've never found a jcink site that allows this TT_TT. And I could never go to an admin and ask something big like that, it gives me too much stress because it does feel like a really big change. Whereas with proboards it's 100% default, so you always have that option. But I am very happy to know it is a possibility on jcink. Thank you for the information Ulla!
4,238written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
๐“›๐“ช๐“ญ๐”‚ ๐“๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ป๐“ช Avatar
ulla Avatar
I learned this recently! But the issue I've never found a jcink site that allows this TT_TT. And I could never go to an admin and ask something big like that, it gives me too much stress because it does feel like a really big change. Whereas with proboards it's 100% default, so you always have that option. But I am very happy to know it is a possibility on jcink. Thank you for the information Ulla!

watch me become that one lady doing math meme because i've literally not found a single open jcink rp site that didn't allow you to delete your own posts. (i mean. they might have not turned on deleting your own threads at first but. that's a separate permission, so it's easy to miss it if you're going fast + aren't looking for it.)

if the site's still young, honestly, i would go ask. since the setting is turned on for staff by default + jcink's system means that it's extremely rare for a staffer to actually be making any posts while logged in on any account but their staff one, so. they might not realize it's not turned on for members since, y'know, they're not really on an account to be able to notice it. (and i mean. what's the worst that can happen, you bring it up as just "hey, i'm not able to delete my own post, is that setting turned off in the acp?" and the answer turns out to be "oh yes we did that on purpose"? you'd probs not be the only member to find that answer a lil bit sus, so. yeah.)

edit: actually, on second thought, i think deleting your own posts is actually enabled by default, it's deleting your own threads that isn't + has to be manually turned on. which y'know. same thing stands.
last edit on Dec 11, 2021 19:50:52 GMT by Kuroya

932written posts
gimmickearned bits
offlinecurrently
gimmick
Part of the Furniture
gimmick Avatar
All birds and men are sure to die but songs may live forever
ulla Avatar

Isn't the default behavior for deleted posts to not actually get deleted, but moved to a trash board though? There's no way to see from the member side if something's scrapped for good or merely hidden in a staff-only board. Or is there?
last edit on Dec 11, 2021 19:52:48 GMT by gimmick
pronounshe/him
887written posts
Desmond Milesearned bits
offlinecurrently
Desmond Miles
Part of the Furniture
Desmond Miles Avatar
we will have peace at any cost
gimmick Avatar
ulla Avatar
Isn't the default behavior for deleted posts to not actually get deleted, but moved to a trash board though? There's no way to see from the member side if something's scrapped for good or merely hidden in a staff-only board. Or is there?
That is correct, it's literally just the trash can. If enabled, then all deleted will just go and sit in there, and that is on by default when creating a new board. If you turn the trash can off, then posts will be deleted permanently. I believe the trash can is only for admins by default? But members can be enabled to see it as well. Echoing what's been said, I think most admins don't realize they're the only ones with access to it, nor know how to actually enable/disable it as well. 

Now serving!
4,238written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
gimmick Avatar
ulla Avatar

oh

yeah, this is correct, jcink defaults to having a "trash can" that's not even staff-only viewable (since the default is to put it into the second board whose permissions can be adjusted). it is possible to turn it off, either temporarily or permanently, but i know as staff i do like to have it around since like. imo, if i ever need to pull someone's old member directory post out or check who made which reserve when, hey, it's right there for me to see (since jcink doesn't have an easy "move a post from x thread to y thread in one action").

but also like. in a case where i don't want something to be accessible at all, even in a trash can, i just. edit the original post to just be something like "removed" and let it be what it is. it has the same effect, i just can't physically obliterate the post from existence.