write a reply

How do you deal with thieves?

54written posts
vulpinaearned bits
offlinecurrently
vulpina
vulpina Avatar
im a plant animal
Maybe this is a taboo topic but I like those. How do you deal with thieves whether it is with your own coding, someone else’s coding, a character, art, etc? What do you do and how does it effect your work and your attitude towards what you are creating?

For me personally, maybe I am just a lucky one and maybe it’s because I am kind of private but I never really dealt with thieves for my own work at least. And later I found out that coding you can’t reallt steal if you go by the design because designs technically cannot be copyrighted unless it’s a Prototype, mock-up & comp.

I also spoke up for others when coding was stolen but the original creators either didn’t care or it wasn’t a big deal so it made me always think and want to discuss this more with people on how you (personally) as an artist deal with thieves?
pronounsShe/Her
77written posts
Pearlescentearned bits
offlinecurrently
Pearlescent
Pearlescent Avatar
When nothing goes right, go left.
As an artist, I'm aware that my artwork can be stolen at any given time (that's just a given with ANYTHING you put on the internet). However, much like you, I haven't had my work stolen (to my knowledge), but I have watched as other artists I know and follow have had their work taken. The way I've seen them deal with the issue is to let their followers know who the thief is so they can report and move on (of course not all of them do so and instead attack the thief and give them the attention they want which is a big no-no).

Since like I said, I haven't had my work stolen to my knowledge, I can give a likely way I would deal with a thief.

The first thing I would do if one day I were notified of someone who reposted my art would be that I would personally talk to them (before letting any of my followers know of course). I would try to get them to take it down, and if they don't, I file a DMCA takedown with the site owners (which is easier said than done on DeviantArt since their reporting system is garbage, but that's another convo for another time).

If somehow that doesn't work, then I get to letting my followers know the dealio as well as give them steps to also report the user in question so that way the amount of reports would prompt the site admins to take down the infringing work. I am personally not a fan of when people attack thieves because it not only gives them the attention they want, but it worsens their behavior.
pronounsShe / Her
27written posts
Relicearned bits
offlinecurrently
Relic
Relic Avatar
I'ma fit right in with those coders you talked to: it doesn't really bother me. But! I don't ever think I have anything worth stealing. Most times something's taken there's no ill intention. People like something so they grab it and use it and share it, that should be praise in itself since it was good enough someone loved it and put it to use. They just may not think to credit. So definitely talking to them first is probably very important, as they may not have had any intention to 'steal'.

The interesting thing about coding is even if it looks exactly the same visually, it could be built completely different under the hood. And really... Trying to claim you own any arrangement of divs and boxes is bordering ridiculous in my opinion. There's many different ways you can code something, but anyone half-decent would be able to recognize the best way to build it efficiently and could very easily arrive at the same solution without even looking at your code. Having it written exactly the same name-wise and style-wise is unlikely though.

Being able to look at someone else's stuff and learn from it is pretty much how a lot of us actually grow our own skills if you think about it. Whether it be code or art, you likely began by seeing something you liked, studying it, and learning from it. So this idea of hoarding your creative pieces like a jealous dragon actually bothers me more than stealing does. It stems creativity and growth on a greater level.

You know that the 'Great Masters' back in the day, all those famous works they're known for (paintings wise anyways) a huge part of their pieces weren't even painted by them. They had their studio underlings trying to learn off of the Master copy as perfectly as possible all of their stuff, and the ones that they deemed good enough would actually get to paint the backgrounds and 'less important' parts of a commission before the Master even touched them. Then the Master would come in and paint the figure. The copies can be so good it takes a while to figure out which is the original genuine 'master' piece.

When patents came in and copyrights and such our creative/inventive advances in technology and other venues staggered greatly. Cause compared to back in the day when someone would make a thing and another would see and and find an improvement then just do it, that can't happen anymore as easily. Instead you have to see a thing, learn how it works, and then reinvent the wheel to make any obvious or great improvements.

I like the idea of patents protecting the original creator, don't get me wrong, I think it's despicable to take an exact work, do nothing to it, and then blatantly claim it as your own. But our society has gone rather crazy about patents and that sort of thing. There are literally companies who all they do is hold the rights to things and then make their money by suing everyone they possibly can. That is just gross. I feel that the very lengthy period they cover that stalls any advancement is sometimes more of a detriment as parties cling to self indulgence.

Everything I've written code wise I give openly and encourage anyone to change as they want/need or just take it and play with it. I don't need credit, but if you wanna tell someone where to look to get something like it go ahead. I know what I did, and can do, I don't need others to tell me how good/bad I am and if someone wants to claim it as their own well usually that'll come round in some way; or it's easily proven that my posting is way earlier than theirs so I don't need to worry about it.

Just like when writing a story with others on forums or GMing, I don't control the entire thing cause you know what? Someone else just might have a more interesting and better idea, and who am I to deprive the group of it just because it isn't mine?
last edit on Jul 11, 2018 16:14:05 GMT by Relic
pronounsSHE/HER
76written posts
murkearned bits
offlinecurrently
murk
murk Avatar
i personally don't encounter thieves bc i don't offer much to the community in way of coding or graphics or what have you. however, as an admin over on CT we have had our fair share of people stealing from our members. i feel as though the way that valka and i handled the issue is arguably one of the better ways to handle most problems with outright thievery bc it's not going to drag up everyone's laundry to air it in a public space.

in this specific case, one of my members coded all of their own templates, put together their own graphics, etc. and also did the same for their writing partner onsite. these graphics and codes have only been used on CT and although they were active on another site as well, those creations remained on CT. at some point another member on CT notified us of a possible theft in that someone had lifted graphics and character information (like name, age, occupation, personality -- literally the character ) from both people. we knew this was a theft because said thief was rping a character from my member and a character from the member's friend.

valka and i spent about twenty minutes gyazoing everything. we took photos of the original content, and then we found the thief's content spread out along two different sites. in doing this we found that they stole multiple characters of my member's and after we had put together an album of comparisons we reached out the admin of the site privately via discord. we dropped the album off, told the admin that we wanted the content down, and that we were certain that the thief was not simply our member joining another site. the content was taken down by the staff team and i do not know what happened to the thief, whether they were banned or whatever.

the only people who knew the intimate details were the members involves on my site, the staff teams of both sites, and a couple of members on CT who happened to report or be told about the situation.

my philosophy here is that theft does not need to be a big publicity stunt. if the person being stolen from does not care, then it doesn't need to be examined; if the person does care, then exploring private options is where i'd suggest going. if the situation is heated then pull a third party in to neutralize it.
( hover )
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,504written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
REALLY LONG POST INCOMING, I'M SO SORRY.

Not taboo, no! So long as everyone's chill with their answers and don't try to name names/point the finger at anyone here, this is definitely within the realm of stuff you can talk about. But, really, that's... how all of these topics go, sdkfjlhdkjfshd. Just be cool and eat your chocolate bar, and everything'll be a-okay.

Dealing with theft is pretty cut and dry with me. I JUST... DON'T, OOPS. I've been stolen from multiple times in the past – mostly in copy-pasted-the-code-and-said-it-was-mine ways, and to a lesser extent in I-changed-some-colors-and-fonts-and-now-it's-my-original-design ways – and while I definitely encourage other people to talk it out with the thieves or people in authority if the theft itself makes them uncomfortable, I can't personally be bothered by it. This isn't me saying it's cool to steal myself, sdkjlfhsdkjfh, it's still a Very Uncool Thing To Do, but. I have not made any money off of any of the codes I have done. While I'm more inclined to be upset about private codes I've done for myself, or even moreso specifically for friends being taken, most of my coding is free for use in the community, anyway. What do I honestly lose? Not much. Most people recognize my codes, anyway, because of how prevalent I've made myself in the community across the last three Proboards resources. Most people come to me about my stuff being stolen before I ever see it, and I site stalk hard. As what Relic says, in a gross kinda backwards way, it is a little flattering; if someone stole what you made, it meant that they liked it so much that they wanted people to believe that they did it themselves. Still uncool... but still kinda flattering.

Communication is definitely key in these situations. You might look at something and be like, “Well, they definitely knew what they were doing,” but some people just don't actually understand the weight of these actions? Maybe they're kids behind the screen, or maybe they're new to the community and didn't realize that “free-for-use” didn't equate to “no-credit-necessary”. Talk rationally with the thief; if they're rude and/or non-compliant, go to the admins of the forum the theft takes place on and see if they won't talk to the thief and/or remove the stolen content. I don't like the idea of “one and done” in terms of outing a person from a community, either – the idea that one offense marks them as “condemned”. A person's credibility doesn't lie in their ability to never make mistakes ever, but in being able to recognize other's and their own errors and doing their best not to emulate them. If someone is caught stealing after they have already been explicitly instructed of what that is and told not to do it again, maybe explore further punishment. One time offense can be an accident. Repeated offense – well, at that point, you should know better.

Determining theft is way more of a gray area than it has any right to be, and we can banter about it every day of the week and twice on Sunday and not necessarily get anywhere with it. And while a large part of why I don't pursue thieves is apathy toward it (really, it harms them more than me? Time they could have spent actually learning coding was wasted on taking mine, sdkljfhkjsdhfds), another part is that I can't really claim to be judge, jury, and executioner of the case of where something is original and where something is stolen. If code is copy-pasted and uncredited, that's theft. If words are copy-pasted and uncredited, that's theft. If designs look really similar – what's the verdict? This is exclusively about art and coding design, by the by, mostly because these are the only areas where I've been stolen from or have anything worth saying about, RIP.

The more simplistic the design, the harder it becomes to make a case of theft on – because, let's be real, anyone who's drawn an anime character has done a headshot, and while there's definitely variety to be had there, there's less than there is in a full body shot, or a piece with multiple characters and a crazy background. We have, like, three paintings of the same scene from the Rocky Mountains at my parents house, and they all look pretty similar. Is that theft? Eeeeeeh, probably not. The more complicated the design becomes, however, and the more overlapping similarities there are, the less of a leg you have to stand on. A template with five divs in it could be accidentally replicated by someone who's never even seen the “original” pretty easily – but if you've got, like, fifty of those suckers and gradients and transitions and junk and someone else “by chance” makes something with, like, three minor differences, even if their class names and organization are different, that's going to raise my eyebrows. If you can overlap two templates or two drawings, regardless of tools or organization used, and 90% of them line up, I'm going to have a hard time believing that was coincidental. Sorry, I just am. :/

I also think the idea of “I have different class names and wrote my CSS in a different order, so it's not theft even if it looks similar” is kind of silly, especially considering art theft happens in just the same way. You probably used different tools – but you still drew the same character... in the same pose... with the same colors... and you still didn't credit the original artist... So what gives?

Theft hurts the person being stolen from because you render their hard work, effectively, useless. You tell them that it doesn't matter that they were the ones that created something, just that it matters that something was created – and that thought process honestly kills the desire to create more and is just kinda a kick to the groin to the original maker. But theft also hurts the thief. Stealing one template is only going to ever get you that one template, and potentially trouble. Taking that same time and using it to learn how the person made that template is going to get you infinite possible templates, and opens the door to you becoming the next super rad coder in the community, like. Why would you even bother??? Doing the first thing??????

As a passing note, which I couldn't fit anywhere in my schpeel up there, I don't think using the “Great Masters” example is really viable, mostly because I don't think that was a good way of going about it in the past, much less in this day in age. Just because it was okay back then doesn't mean it should have been – because those people who made those backgrounds and those people who made those copies should have been given recognition that they don't usually get. :'D
last edit on Jul 11, 2018 17:56:20 GMT by pharaoh leap
pronounsShe/Her
77written posts
Pearlescentearned bits
offlinecurrently
Pearlescent
Pearlescent Avatar
Oh yeah, determining theft is a matter of perception. I'm not a coder, nor do I know how coding can be stolen (even after reading up on all of y'all's posts), but I can say for sure that with art, it's both objective and subjective what is considered "theft" of someone's work.

The objective side of theft of art is of course reposting and tracing. With reposting, it's clear that the thief didn't even make any changes to the picture (and sometimes they don't also remove the watermark/signature if there's one present). 90% of the time, it's kids that are reposting (which is why it's recommended to talk to them first; don't be a dick to children). 5% of the time it's trolls trying to get attention, and the remaining 5% is someone who wants to profit off your work, whether it's some random user or a big company (big company falls in the 1%, so you don't need to worry).

Tracing is when you take someone's picture and begin to draw over it, change what you want, and sometimes even call it your own. I say this since tracing can also be used as a tool for learning things like anatomy and posing and what not. It's only bad when it's posted publicly, and you say "yo bro I drew this myself, legit." Tracing is a smidge harder to spot, however.

As for everything else, yeah it's a matter of perception, but LET ME TELL YOU there are some fucking ridiculous "thefts" out there, which is why you should take any accusations and claims with a grain of salt (and I believe this could apply to coding as well). There are things like "art style theft," "pose theft," "color palette theft" and much more. I hate when people claim any of these because it's not only a stupid thing to accuse someone of, but it hinders creativity and growth on the side of the accused.
last edit on Jul 11, 2018 19:45:43 GMT by Pearlescent
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Art theft. Avatars.

Moving on from there, it depends on the nature of the theft for me, if I was the victim of it. (YEAH HAHA SOMEONE WILL STEAL MY DRABBLES AND CHARACTERS LOL) If someone is doing it to profit off of it, I'd file a complaint with the site hosting the theft and point to this being my ORIGINAL WORK PLES NO STEL TENGS.

I can't be bothered to deal with people who want to roleplay my characters or otherwise use concepts and ideas from my stories. A verbatim re-post of my original writing I'd probably at best write the reposter a PM saying, hey, cool, glad you like my work, mind adding a link so others who like it can read more of my stuff?

But I'll probably just ignore it.

LET ME TELL YOU there are some fucking ridiculous "thefts" out there, which is why you should take any accusations and claims with a grain of salt (and I believe this could apply to coding as well). There are things like "art style theft," "pose theft," "color palette theft" and much more. I hate when people claim any of these because it's not only a stupid thing to accuse someone of, but it hinders creativity and growth on the side of the accused.

+++
pronounsShe/Her
77written posts
Pearlescentearned bits
offlinecurrently
Pearlescent
Pearlescent Avatar
rhalgr Avatar
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Art theft. Avatars.

LOL. You know what, my dude, as long as you ask (depending on the artist and what their FAQ says) and link back to the artist it's all good /o/. There are also some artists who let people use fan art without needing to credit (but you probably should it's just common courtesy), it's just original art you should probably stay away from unless you commissioned it.
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Pearlescent Avatar
rhalgr Avatar
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Art theft. Avatars.
LOL. You know what, my dude, as long as you ask (depending on the artist and what their FAQ says) and link back to the artist it's all good /o/. There are also some artists who let people use fan art without needing to credit (but you probably should it's just common courtesy), it's just original art you should probably stay away from unless you commissioned it.

Probably a can of worms best left for its own thread! I've seen some shit, man.
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,504written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
rhalgr Avatar
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Art theft. Avatars.

Rhalgr hitting where it hurts, skljdfhkshfds.
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Artists learn from each other, whether it's singing, drawing, painting, coding, et cetera. There will also be trends in visual representation, so similarities are bound to pop up. Think of the Italian Renaissance and its 3 art titans, and all the other art periods. Art students also look to masters to improve their own skills and understanding.

There is such a thing as creative commons license, though, and I believe there are websites where you can register your works. For art it IS stealing if someone takes your exact piece and claims it as their own and/or sell/distribute without your permission. I think you can also tell someone's coding/programming from someone else's (though not entirely sure cuz codepen has this "clean up CSS" feature).

What you can do about theft/fraudulence/etc. is first investigate the host you saw your images/work about their terms on these things, and then contact them. I'm not sure about art & real world stuff. Probably contact the police?

For RP characters and whatnot... probably contact the forum admin first with proof, and then go from there. If you really had to, you could contact the forum host. I've only experienced theft twice. The first time I couldn't prove. The second time I contact my head admin about it, and then they contacted the other head admin about the situation. I don't think the other site admin cooperated, but their site died shortly afterwards anyway, so I didn't push it.

This is an interesting topic. Now that I think of it, I really am not sure what to do.

For the record: if your paypal, bank, etc. information was ever at the hands of fraudulence/theft, you would contact paypal and your bank to resolve the situation and fix up your stuffs. I believe they handle the situation after that.
pronounsShe/Her
77written posts
Pearlescentearned bits
offlinecurrently
Pearlescent
Pearlescent Avatar
TIME TO RESURRECT A THREAD!

So! Let me explain what I'm doing here.

If people aren't aware, an editor for IGN recently got caught with their pants down. What do I mean? Well, they plagiarised almost word-for-word, a review of an up-and-coming indie game from a (then) smaller youtuber. And I'm talking they copy-pasted the transcript for the victim's review, changed a few words in an attempt to cover it all up, and put it into their written and video review of the game. Of course, the youtuber in question caught this writer since they were an avid visitor of IGN. They compiled all the evidence in a side-by-side video, and the rest snowballed from there. IGN fired the writer, and the video and written reviews were taken down.

So why am I bringing this up? Because this incident sparked a question in my head.

How do you determine plagiarism of writing/words? Sometimes, it's blatant like the case I presented above, but other times it can get VERY tricky. So how does one spot such a thing in the first place?
540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
Pearlescent Avatar
You just got plagerised

TIME TO RESURRECT THIS THREAD!

So! Let me tell you what I am doing here.

If people aren't aware, an editor for IGN got caught with their pants down. They plagiarised a review of an up-and-coming indie game from a (then) smaller youtuber. They copy-pasted the transcript for the victim's review, changed a few words in an attempt to cover it all up, and put it into their review of the game. The youtuber in question caught this writer since they were an avid visitor of IGN. They compiled the evidence in a video, and the rest snowballed from there. IGN fired the writer, and the video and written reviews were taken down.

So why am I bringing this up? This incident sparked a question in my mind.

How do you determine plagiarism of writing? Sometimes it's blatant like the case above, but other times it can get tricky. So how does one spot it in the first place?
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Sharp Avatar
Pearlescent Avatar

How do you determine plagiarism of writing/words?
Snip

Tomfoolery aside:
All of the following are considered plagiarism:
turning in someone else's work as your own
copying words or ideas from someone else without giving credit
failing to put a quotation in quotation marks
giving incorrect information about the source of a quotation
changing words but copying the sentence structure of a source without giving credit
copying so many words or ideas from a source that it makes up the majority of your work, whether you give credit or not (see our section on "fair use" rules)
But can words and ideas really be stolen?

According to U.S. law, the answer is yes.
The expression of original ideas is considered intellectual property and is protected by copyright laws, just like original inventions. Almost all forms of expression fall under copyright protection as long as they are recorded in some way (such as a book or a computer file).

Quoted from Plagiarism (dot) Org
last edit on Aug 9, 2018 17:16:20 GMT by Deleted
214written posts
✦ MADearned bits
offlinecurrently
✦ MAD
✦ MAD Avatar
[nospaces]

This is why China can get away with stealing so much, cause american laws can't touch them there. I saw so many stores and brands copied and changed a bit. Just wow. Nothing is safe over there.[break][break]

I've had my art stolen before but I never really minded it... I remember when it was brought up to me by a concerned watcher at devi I felt more like, "Wow, they liked my art enough to do that?". lol
[break][break] Id be upset if they made money off of it though.

write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW