write a reply

Interest Check: Gaming/Esports RP

2written posts
mulesearned bits
offlinecurrently
mules
mules Avatar
Hey there o/

Just thought it might be worth posting here in case anyone was interested, as I've had this idea sitting in my head for some time now and was wondering if there'd be any interest for it (or hell even if a site like this already existed). I'm a huge fan of competitive gaming/esports, and I know there's some crossover between people who are fans of competitive gaming/gaming in general and these kinds of RP forums and such. I've also had a lot of fun over the years messing about on Entertainment RP forums, I think the idea of a hook to keep you wanting to keep going back and interacting with the world, posting, and so on is a healthy thing for any forum to have.

Anyway, my idea is that you could create some sort of entertainment RP spin off type site where the main focus is competitive gaming. Likely in a setting where it's much more mainstream, perhaps set in the not so distant future. Players could have the freedom to make a character in a number of different member groups. There's some potential for variance in the character roles, for example you could make a professional player who plays on a team, or you could perhaps be the owner of a team, or a coach. You could even make a character who is a game dev, there's also the potential for characters who are content creators/streamers, broadcast talent/commentators, or a fanatical fan, and so on.

We could host regular tournaments/leagues and have some sort of system which could integrate player post counts to reward participation and activity, and players can earn currency, possibly have some sort of an IC store system. And then of course some RNG based stuff to determine who wins matches and inevitably the tournament/league.

Still a very much bare bones idea right now and I for sure would need some help bringing it to life if there was interest there, but I think it could have legs to it, let me know what you think?
2written posts
mulesearned bits
offlinecurrently
mules
mules Avatar
light Avatar
if this was based off of King's Avatar, then why not. But if not then I don't really see much interest being gathered for this. But don't let me deter you from it if you really want to give it the old try.
I getchu, that's the main reason I thought of just posting something like this to gauge interest before I go ahead and spend lots of time and effort into something I'm only really interested in aha been away from RP for a while and not 100% sure what people's interests and wants lie with
aliasjo, honey
pronounsfeminine
645written posts
offlinecurrently
honey and the forgor land
Part of the Furniture
honey and the forgor land Avatar
fed up with y'all bitches
as someone who's super into the competitive gaming scene, i think it would be a sick idea. i'd say let the competitions be based on more activity/interactions of the members as opposed to rng to make it feel more rewarding for a super active group and cap members from entering groups when there's too many in 1 group (to keep said group from always being the most active/winning all the time)

definitely a unique idea amongst many sites that are the same or otherwise use the same tropes/ideas - let alone actually not being medieval like i've seen some people griping about
last edit on Feb 7, 2023 15:17:21 GMT by honey and the forgor land
aliasJen, DeJener8
pronounsShe/her
240written posts
Jenesisearned bits
offlinecurrently
Jenesis
Jenesis Avatar
I feel like the biggest hurdle to this kind of concept is going to be figuring out what kind of game to base it on. I feel like it's comparatively easier to pitch a hook for other types of entertainment rp, because everyone is familiar with the concepts of music and movies. But there are a lot of different kinds of esports (shooters/mobas/mmos/card games/fighting games to use a few examples) and there isn't necessarily a lot of overlap between the fans of all of them.

If you narrow down your focus to have the site plot be about a single esport (as opposed to esports in general), the easy way to do it is to base it on a real esport. This essentially makes it a fandom rp, but people who don't like or aren't interested in that fandom are less likely to join. The harder way is to make up your own esport, in which case you have to invent enough lore that it gets people interested in writing stories about it, but not so much that it turns people off.
pronounshe/him
729written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
I actually might be interested in this if the focus is team-based esports. I'd love to write some drama about former teammates, teammates that clash, and teammates who used to be on top-contending teams but are now on bottom-rung teams.

It could also be good to start the site with a bracket around the teams that establish that certain teams are Top Dogs and certain teams are Not because then people who wanna write winners/losers can slot into those. The status quo can change over the course of the site, but personally I like the idea of starting in an Underdog Team or a Top Team depending on what I feel like writing! The difference between writing a world champion being sold to an organization like Golden Guardians vs a rookie on a top team like Cloud9, in league terms!
last edit on Feb 8, 2023 18:38:44 GMT by illidan main

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me