write a reply

emerius

pronounsthey/them
185written posts
inkearned bits
offlinecurrently
ink
ink Avatar

Kirkwall must have been unspoiled, once. But now? Now the continent only remembers the city for the Mage-Templar war, the red crystals with a taste for human flesh, and the blasted demons crawling around the sewers. The worst part is, everyone over there acts like all of this is normal. It's the only way that those poor bastards survive the City of Chains.

I've got some advice: Keep your wits about you and mind your own business. You need friends to survive, sure. But half of them are criminals and the other half would sell you to one. There's no point in tying your future to any of them. Take the first ship out as soon as you've made enough gold to pay off your debts.

The problem isn't that this city doesn't love you, Donny. It just wants everything that you can't afford to give away.

— An excerpt of a letter from a retired mercenary to his nephew.

It's been four years since the mages rebelled against the entire world in a bid for their freedom. But what of the city that the rebellion left behind? Central authority has all but collapsed in the city-state of Kirkwall, which continues to struggle with crime, inequality, and evil spirits. You could crawl your way to the top of this shithole, or you could lose it all quicker than a game of Diamondback. Some unfortunate souls are unlucky enough to experience it all in the same year.

Smart choices only take you so far in Kirkwall, serah. I look forward to seeing what you'll do with them.

— A note from a Friend of Red Jenny.

Emerius is a medieval fantasy roleplaying game based on the Dragon Age series. But don't panic if you've never played the game before. The site is intended to accommodate those with zero knowledge of the game. You just need to be excited for medieval fantasy, city-state intrigue, events that respond to character reputation, and the messy narrative ramifications of conflicting worldviews.

Emerius will have a loose overarching story that is shaped by member-driven plots. Come make a huge mess with us. The site will tentatively open in early 2024.

Progress

Lore: 95% (Need to complete locations.)

Skin: Will not be completed before December.

last edit on Nov 15, 2023 20:05:33 GMT by ink
the waking storm
aliasLuxu, TenebraeQueene
pronounsShe/They
313written posts
Galeforceearned bits
offlinecurrently
Galeforce
Galeforce Avatar
covered in scars but roses are coming through the cracks
i have vague knowledge of this franchise. played a bit of origins and inquisition but never beat either. i did enjoy the setting so i'll keep an eye out on this! :eyes:
pronounsthey/them
185written posts
inkearned bits
offlinecurrently
ink
ink Avatar

Thank you for your interest, everyone!!! As a teaser, please enjoy some story/background/lore drops courtesy of seven letters from Kirkwall.

Dearest brother,

I heard that you're joining up with Raleigh's group. I'm not, and you shouldn't either. If he has enough lyrium to supply most of the Order, then you should think about where that money even comes from. Or do you simply not care anymore?

I’ll never forget the day that we took our templar vows. We went to father’s grave together, remember? We swore to him that we would protect people from mages. So that children like us wouldn’t have to bury the charred remains of their parents. The skies were so beautiful then, and the swallows in the graveyard were singing obliviously. I thought that it was so cruel that the world could just keep going after it took everything from us. I thought so, at least.

You used to be so hopeful about the future ahead. As long as the nights kept cycling into days and days into nights, we could work towards a more peaceful world together. That suit of templar armor was everything to you. It calmed your heart in the face of demon flame and mage-frost. It assuaged your doubts when a gentle enchanter told you that she deserved to be free of the Chantry's laws. I was never strong like you, brother. But following your path made me think that I could be.

Where is that man now, Victor? Where is the man who taught me to overcome fear and to form my own convictions? I don’t see him in the person you’ve become—a zealot who would renounce his sworn duty and abandon his brothers and sisters. All for a man who can’t tell you who his true masters are. You’re smarter than this. Come back to Kirkwall and honor your sacred vows. I say this not solely as your sister of the Order but your sister of the blood.  

[Completely scratched out]

Don’t leave me behind.

Your sister always,

Mallory
last edit on Nov 15, 2023 21:00:03 GMT by ink
pronounsthey/them
185written posts
inkearned bits
offlinecurrently
ink
ink Avatar

Senior Enchanter Ophelia,

We were too naive. When news broke that the Herald of Andraste was a Dalish elf, we thought that she would be sympathetic to mage freedom. Landless and displaced, it was natural to assume that we were natural allies with those who were similarly oppressed by the Chantry. Even I believed that she might reject the notion that mages are monsters to be feared. Instead, she conscripted our kin into the Inquisition military.

All those war casualties, all that bloodshed, and the rebellion simply traded one master for another. The irony is so bitter that it makes my heart ache.

You know that I am loyal to our cause. The very basis of our friendship lies on the shared belief that mages could be trusted with independence and responsibility. But we should have foreseen this outcome when the Grand Enchanter sold the rebel mages to the Tevinter Imperium. The world loathes the magisters for their forbidden magic and their slavery, and Fiona proved that mages would choose tyranny in order to save their own lives. Whether or not I believe this is the nature of mages is irrelevant. What matters is what ordinary people believe.

All of this puts us into a very difficult situation. As long as we remain free of Chantry control, mages will never be trusted. And mage children will continue to be born into a world that is even more hostile to magic than before. You don’t want to hear it, but isolationism is not a sustainable plan for the long term. We must choose powerful allies who can protect us, and soon.

I’ll speak to the First Enchanter about all of this. In the meantime, please ensure that Dana is internalizing her lessons. She likes to take naps when she’s left alone for self-study.

Sincerely,

Senior Enchanter Tahren
last edit on Nov 15, 2023 21:02:59 GMT by ink