pronounsShe/They
139written posts
Aerieearned bits
offlinecurrently
Aerie
Aerie Avatar
sometimes we ball, sometimes we fall.
about
Unmasked is an upcoming animanga superpowers role play hosted on Jcink. It takes place in 2034 New Angeles, California. The emergence of powers and supernatural events is a new phenomenon, rivaling the rise of cybernetics that aim to give ordinaries a chance to keep up.

• No stats but has a supplemental shop system
  • Balance of dark/gritty Gotham-esque & shounen-cool superheroes plots
  • Geographically centered around 2 cities 
  • Built-in networking system to facilitate easier plotting
  • Want to push the boundaries of writing? This is your site.
mizo.
aliasAerie, badmin, insert profanity
pronounsShe/They
139written posts
Aerieearned bits
offlinecurrently
Aerie
Aerie Avatar
last edit on Jan 1, 2024 18:26:12 GMT by Aerie
pronounsShe/They
139written posts
Aerieearned bits
offlinecurrently
Aerie
Aerie Avatar
not an update, but i'm getting "please invite when" dms and i just know i'm going to forget, so:

submit your discord handle here to be invited to the server when it drops
last edit on Nov 30, 2023 18:43:17 GMT by Aerie
pronounsShe/They
139written posts
Aerieearned bits
offlinecurrently
Aerie
Aerie Avatar
groups
A glimpse into New Angeles
In 2034, much of the world is war-torn, riddled with disease, or overcome by natural disaster. The sudden emergence of Aberrants ten years ago stopped the tip-toes of world fallout and sounded the horns of war worldwide. It was chaos as countries struggled to deal with the existence of the supernatural, but corporations were quick to try and capitalize on the strife and advance technology capable of making the average man on par with an Aberrant.

California, home to many of these megacorps, became a hegemony as the United States crumbled. Southern California, rebranded as New Angeles, shifted into a metropolis for high tech, powers, and a cultural flourish. Refugees from all over the world fled from ravaged lands and settled in New Angeles in the hope of a better life. But for many, only a worse one awaited.

Member groups will be organized by surface-level alignment: Corporate, Hero, Law, Crime, Icon, Rebel. There is a signature group per alignment (with Rebel's NPCd at the start), and while you're encouraged to join one of those groups for easier plotting, you're able to go solo or create new groups as well.

Monarch Enterprises (Corporate): The leading megacorp is a conglomerate of many tech companies that dominate the superhero industry. Because Aberrants are required to be licensed and insured by a registered corporation, Monarch sponsors most of them. Monarch also has a monopoly on cybernetics, which are machine parts surgically inserted into the body to give boosting effects. These gadgets are so expensive that the Anastasi Mafia makes a killing off regulating knock-offs.

Superheroes (Hero): Legally licensed and insured Aberrants, because someone’s gotta pay for that flipped car or accidentally broken arm after all the saving is over. Besides, corpos can worry about logistics, but superheroes go in and get the job done. Whether it’s saving the day or taking down a criminal bounty, they’re on it. Any Aberrant not licensed by a corporation is considered a villain: even the little ol' grandma with x-ray vision who just wants to watch cowboy shows in peace.

Peacekeepers (Law): Anyone who works in or for the NAPD is considered a Peacekeeper, but don’t let the name fool you. While they might not be Aberrants, they’re equipped with enough cybernetics and advanced weapons to make them on par with one. They also track down criminal bounties and try to stop crime, but their work often takes a more investigative approach. Sometimes, they work hand-in-hand with supes. Other times, they butt heads as hidden agendas come into play.

Anastasi Mafia (Crime): The Anastasi Mafia is a powerful criminal syndicate in New Angeles that runs a lot of bootleg cybernetics and weapons operations. While most members aren’t Anastasis by blood, everyone in the mafia considers each other family. The way they exact judgment might come across as harsh to outsiders, but to members, it’s just how they do business.

Icons (Icon): The entertainment industry is thriving in both districts. Idols, streamers, actors—you name it. Fame is the game, and they’re winning. Because icons have so much sway with the public, things get messy behind the scenes as different groups try to control venues, performers, and information.
mizo.
last edit on Dec 5, 2023 14:16:54 GMT by Aerie
pronounsShe/They
139written posts
Aerieearned bits
offlinecurrently
Aerie
Aerie Avatar
skin information
Unmasked will feature two skins with light/dark toggle. This skin preview is one I had commissioned by a really lovely skinner. The second skin will be a more minimalist skin. Both skins' accent colors will match your member group.

Because I'm older, and my eyesight is so poor, something I prioritize in site skins is ease of readability: larger fonts, easy colors, etc.

Also, minor update #2: I am planning on opening the server sometime next week where I'll poll people on a few finishing touches (along with which skin should be the guest default). As long as you sign up on the Discord Alert Google form above, you'll be added. Official opening should be somewhere mid-January.

I'll pop back in with a guidebook entry between now and then. Maybe setting or history, idk. Can't wait to write superpowers with everyone.
mizo.

(the text may appear dark/small only because this SS is tiny; it won't be when live)
last edit on Dec 27, 2023 14:26:25 GMT by Aerie
pronounsShe/They
139written posts
Aerieearned bits
offlinecurrently
Aerie
Aerie Avatar
glossary
I figured the glossary would give a nice tl;dr to the site.

Aberrant: someone with supernatural powers (either gained randomly 10 years ago or born with them from an aberrant parent)

Anastasi Mafia: a crime syndicate in New Angeles that has gained prominence and power in the past ten years

Apparatus: large digital screens all over New Angeles that flash bounties (criminal and otherwise) and are seen as “Big Brother” tech always watching you

Benefactor: slang for the one person who slightly boosts an aberrant’s power when in each other’s presence and can stop Derange

Corpo: slang for corporation or company involved in the hero industry

Cybernetics: technology that is surgically inserted into a normal human’s body part to give them some inhuman attribute or ability (max 1 per person; aberrant bodies reject cybernetics)

Derange: an affliction that randomly affects aberrants and makes them go berserk for a day before combusting on the 24th hour (can only be stopped by an aberrant’s benefactor)

Eden: a district in Northern California that believes in restoring power to the people instead of corporations, responsibly controlling tech, and going back to the "old ways" where nature ruled everything

Hero: a legally licensed and insured aberrant

Icon: a famous person in the New Angeles entertainment scene who has plenty of fans

Monarch Enterprises: the leading New Angeles megacorp that puts out big tech and licenses heroes

New Angeles: a highly populated megacity in Southern California with a high concentration of aberrants, corporations, and advanced tech

Peacekeeper: a New Angeles military-police personnel

Senatorium: the democratic government in Eden committed to protecting the earth

Supe: slang for hero (short for superhero)

Villain: an unlicensed aberrant, regardless of whether they commit crimes or not

Wildfire: a rebel group (often called eco-terrorists) in Eden that often launches attacks in New Angeles in an attempt to stop the new world order of aberrant regulation, cybernetics, and dirty tech

The Discord server will open up Wednesday morning and allow for 1 face claim pre-reservation. I'll also have the guidebook available in a Google doc for everyone to view early.
mizo.
last edit on Jan 1, 2024 18:25:10 GMT by Aerie
pronounsShe/They
139written posts
Aerieearned bits
offlinecurrently
Aerie
Aerie Avatar
Discord is getting suspicious at everyone I have to add to invite, so I'll have to slow down and do it periodically over the next day or two.

Feel free to join the server here.
last edit on Jan 3, 2024 13:43:51 GMT by Aerie