aliasmori, manon, saki
pronounsshe / her
630written posts
𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚒earned bits
offlinecurrently
𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚒
Part of the Furniture
𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚒 Avatar
i know you see yourself as a fighter. well, i see myself as one, too.
Ugh... it's so hard to say.

I totally feel you on the bad want ads thing. I've had it happen many times where someone will join up, claim the want, then just dip without even going through with the character. Like, I understand real world problems or a simple change of mind, but a heads up would be nice.

On the character being completed and then just not fitting (the char itself or the roleplayer), that gets more difficult. I try my best to go through with it anyway, since they did go through all of the effort. But I do tend to lose a lot of muse over it. Esp if the other person isn't all that enthusiastic. Like, they just thought the idea was good but aren't actually into roleplaying any of it out.

I scarcely make want ads now; if there's someone I'm close with, I'll pitch back and forth ideas with them during a regular plotting session. If it comes to a new ship being created, I'm glad. If not, it's just nice to get the ideas out there.

If I do put up ads, I ask that the potential taker at least speak with me on like messenger or pm or something to see if we click first. If they are really into the idea. Get their own character plots. Basically, to make sure we have the concept come together as one, but you still have your own character to work with. Not just a blank skeleton you're slapping a face on. (I like things to feel legit. Not forced.)

It probably seems really fussy, but I'm so tired of being disappointed, lol.

Anyway, yeah. I kinda just grit my teeth and deal if worst comes to it. I genuinely love the characters I make, so it's not like I'm keen on killing them off or even deleting them. And if a plot totally doesn't go as planned, I'll just save it for elsewhere, I reckon.

But, yeah. I'm not super into throwing up wants anymore. I try to work off of chemistry and see if that gets me better results, haha.

pronounsgoddess
454written posts
pixie pieearned bits
offlinecurrently
pixie pie
pixie pie Avatar
I do not allow wanted ads on my sites. Only because I have never really seen these work out before. So many times I have seen people more disappointed and sad by the wanted ads than something that has actually worked out beneficial to every party involved. More so - I would rather someone make a character that can stand on their own two feet should their roleplaying partner poof from the site. Wanted ad characters rarely have this ability to do so. Again - this is simply based off of personal experiences through out my time roleplaying.    

540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
If you want to have more success with wanted ads, you gotta lower the bar. There is a good chance that people are going to flake within a month, and I would tailor the plot towards a real kick in the door to get the major things you want out of it quickly before that character becomes an NPC again. This is good because it will get you some of what you are wanting and possibly hook the other player into the game so that they do become long term.

I use wanted ads to attract certain members and if it pans out then it pans out. If I have a long term thing I really need a player for I either use my spouse or someone i've been rping with for ages.
last edit on Jul 24, 2018 23:01:46 GMT by Sharp
pronounsgoddess
454written posts
pixie pieearned bits
offlinecurrently
pixie pie
pixie pie Avatar
I haven't "removed" them per say - I just simply don't have them on my site. If someone wants to place a position / character within their plot page that they would like someone to take up - I am more than happy with that. I would much rather people plot out these sorts of characters with members that have been on the site or someone whose roleplaying skills they are confident of allowing to play such an important role to their own character.

I allowed them on a past site that I had that was very popular (BCO) but it caused a fair amount of stress for everyone involved due to the very high amount of members losing muse for the original character due to the wanted ad characters either disappearing or wanted ad characters made not to the original character's liking. One such incident included a person's character's ex-husband who came in and continued to put the original character in uncomfortable situations.

Again - I am all for people taking up positions in other character's lives but I would rather those things done via plot page - where it can be properly discussed and fleshed out, private message or discord opposed to posting up wanted ads where any random person can take it.
last edit on Jul 24, 2018 23:08:21 GMT by pixie pie
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,504written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
Wanted ads were something I didn't really put up in the past, but after a surprising string of recent successes, I've actually grown quite fond of them. I'm still absolute trash at filling out other people's, something I'm personally trying to work on, but no longer can I say I dislike them or the people who have taken up mine after... well, those recent successes!

Do people flake? Yes. Are those abandoned plots discouraging? Absolutely. But for as many flakers as I've gotten, I've also gotten people who were really dedicated to the role. On Catch-22, I played a very obscure canon character whose history was majorly impacted by the Bosnian Wars; through my wanted ad for his best friend (who he met through said war), I met an amazing friend who not only had second-hand accounts of the actual war in real life (which helped us both with trying to keep the story telling as accurate as can be expected from forum RP), but was as excited about the characters and the plots we had as I was. It was amazingly refreshing, and I loved every second of plotting with this person.

I also totally met through a wanted ad seven trillion years ago, and while we aren't currently RPing together anywhere, the couple of threads we did were top tier. I cri evrytim. Even if the plots themselves don't pan out, you can still make amazing connections with writers that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Something major to consider, though, is that wanted ads shouldn't be the be-all-end-all of your character. As was mentioned earlier, if you need the character in your wanted ad to properly play the character or maintain interest on site, just, like... play another character. Wanted ads should be icing on your cake, not the cake to your... icing. You need to prepare for the chance that you won't get that role - but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try for that role all the same!
540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
iota Avatar
Sharp Avatar
If you want to have more success with wanted ads, you gotta lower the bar.
Done that ('lower the bar') and then once in play the chemistry really isn't good. It's kind of hard to explain without using examples, and I don't want to use examples.

Also, I personally prefer plots to happen gradually (like a book or a movie). I've seen someone who threw several major "bombs" at their partner (ICly) and they basically wasted an entire, interesting plot in a single post. On top of that, it was too much of a shellshock for the other character. I'm not for super slow, but I do prefer building up. I do post fast, though, so my plots do tend to go by quicker if I have someone who is speedy as well but very few people I've met post as fast as me. XD (Edit: and sometimes, I can't use my amigo who is my most consistent/fast RP partner. XD)

If your method works for you, then I'm glad. :)

I'm not sure I would go for a plot bomb out the door, maybe like a plot firework I guess?

A lot of people do like plots to be very book or movie like. I have found it to be disappointing to treat roleplaying in similarity to that kind of medium.

To me threads are there own medium and they are naturally very fragmented nuggets of a story, if I had to compare forum roleplaying to another medium I think I would say it is more like an episodic series than a movie. I think that the prevalence of liquid time tends to agree with me. In that regard I don't try to capture every detail of what is going on in the characters life, rather a thread is just a glimpse to me and they do other things when i'm not around to pilot them. I jump in for the cool parts.

But lets say roleplaying is more like a book to you. Deeply paraphrasing a creative writing class from a long while back (that I can't remember well) your first couple of paragraphs of the first chapter should utterly captivate your reader. If you start a wanted ad with an intent to build up to some grand plot but you've invested nothing in your opening chapter it isn't going to capture your reader enough that they get to the center of the book.

So to really expand on what I am getting at is that you should focus on an opening plot with your new partner that will get them invested up front. Bored new players leave sites.

From my cynical point of view I would guard my heart and expect that person might get through that initial plot and then up and leave, or not at all. Lowering the bar may not have been the right word because i'm not saying to take someone you aren't satisfied with as a wanted ad, what I really mean is lowering your expectations for how long term the pot will be where that character is anything more than an npc in the background again and making use of the time they are being piloted by someone else to best effect.
last edit on Jul 24, 2018 23:51:54 GMT by Sharp
pronounsSHE/HER
76written posts
murkearned bits
offlinecurrently
murk
murk Avatar
i have a lot of opinions on this and most of them conflict pretty radically so i'll just write until i feel like i've outlined it.

i really do love wanted ads. i love taking the skeleton of a character and filling in everything else about them. i love being given this idea or a relationship and being tasked with the challenge of formatting another life around it -- it's like a puzzle to me, in that way. i find that some of my most intriguing characters are born of wanted ads. 

on the flip side i really dislike creating, managing, and pulling a character for others from wanted ads. i don't often put up ads for my own characters because i lack in good experiences from people taking my own ads. i'm a firm believer that characters should stand on their own as is, and so wanted ads created for the sake of propping up a character are something i frown upon. in addition to this i avoid ship ads like the plague, because a lot of the time i can't deal with the pressure of making a ship happen.

when i make ads i settle on a caricature and i try to leave it as broad as possible while still giving the details i desperately want. i find that the further removed i am from the character, the better the ad goes. over on ct i at one point roleplayed a character, his uncle, and his childhood best friend as well as adopted brother. the reasoning for this is because these three characters existed before CT in a private setting where overlapping relationships made sense. however in a forum setting it was restrictive and it kept me from exploring the relationship of the friends, and after a point i threw the character up as an ad. since then he has been taken and although he has the same name, he is not not the same character. do i struggle with this? yes, definitely; i had a very clear view of the character and i trusted someone to take this view and make it their own. i am more than happy with where it is, but i do find myself missing rping that character sometimes.

that isn't to be confused with me disliking the character now -- more that the relationship and the dynamic and even my own view on the character has changed due to someone else rping it.

i think in all situations you need to be prepared for your ad not being taken. if the ad isn't taken, are you crippled in rping the character? if the answer is yes, i would say to either trust that important figure with someone close to you or to perhaps make said character not as necessary.

i am also blessed with having a dedicated and lovely rp partner who hasn't given me a reason for want ads. our rping experience together has been about approaching each other with ideas that would be ads and filling them for each other. there is no pressure with trying ships with her, no pressure in character chemistry with her, and i know the writing chemistry will be fine.

tl;dr i love taking wanted ads, i dislike making wanted ads, and takes the majority of my would-be wanted ads anyway.
( hover )
aliasvee, vivi
pronounsany / they
659written posts
valkaearned bits
offlinecurrently
valka
Administrator
valka Avatar
do u know... la-hee?

honestly, i rarely make wanted ads for my characters. it's not that bad experiences have turned me off making them (though it is piss annoying when the person flakes and you have to start from the beginning all over again orz), just most of my characters are ones that don't lead to wanted ads. i usually end up making the only child, for example. or they end up with no significant figures in their history that i want as a character on-site.

when i do have a character i want played, i pitch the idea to my friends first and see if any of them are interested. usually, they are, because i have cool buddies 😎

but in the event that my friends aren't interested and i do have to make a public ad, i always go in with low expectations. i've seen people take my friends' ads and flake, and i've seen my friends be disappointed too many times. i always make sure that my character doesn't need the wanted ad filled; i always treat them as something that would be nice to have, but isn't necessary for my character.

beyond making my wanted ads as open as possible, i wouldn't hesitate to put a few requirements for the potential taker. for example, "you need to have been on the site for a few weeks before asking to take this ad." a few weeks will give me an idea of what that person is like, and plus it gets rid of people that poof within a week of joining :'D if someone is interested, i always make sure they pitch the idea to me first and i tell them if things work or not. if the idea doesn't work, i'll tell them and then it's back to the search for a taker.

in the event that the ad is taken, and the character ends up disappointing... i uh......... i guess i'll just suffer........... but seriously - you should talk to the person and say that it's not working out for you, no hard feelings. they can keep their character if they want, but because the plot isn't working out, it'd be better to drop it so that you can start a new search. as hard as it is to talk to someone about it, it's better for your health and sanity in the long run.

so yeah! that's how i deal with want ad troubles, though honestly i barely go near wanted ads because i prefer plotting with existing characters |D

if you think i haven't been keeping up with pp, think again