What are you watching?

931written posts
gimmickearned bits
offlinecurrently
gimmick
Part of the Furniture
gimmick Avatar
All birds and men are sure to die but songs may live forever
Started watching The Queen’s Gambit after reading the book finally and despite all the times they compare one character to Huck Finn, I still was not expecting an actual cowboy to show up on my screen. Like whaaa aren’t you from New York
pronounssorcerer
186written posts
troye saivonearned bits
offlinecurrently
troye saivon
troye saivon Avatar
we feel it with our whole body and soul
gimmick Avatar
Started watching The Queen’s Gambit after reading the book finally and despite all the times they compare one character to Huck Finn, I still was not expecting an actual cowboy to show up on my screen. Like whaaa aren’t you from New York

that's what we call a gimmick :)
205written posts
sielearned bits
offlinecurrently
siel
siel Avatar
on a hong kong cinema binge... just finished super cop 3 with jackie chan and michelle yeoh. didn't download great subtitles so half the jokes went over my head but the end sequence of fight scenes.... holy fuck how did they not die during filming THIS IS AMAZING

also finally watched chungking express. main thoughts
- takeshi kaneshiro is reaaaal cute even if he dresses like he walked out of a dilbert comic
- PIXIE CUT FAYE WONG 😳
- i'm sorry tony leung you're hot and all but even YOU look like a giant huggies diaper baby in white briefs... 
- PIXIE CUT FAYE WONG 😳
- chungking mansions... 90s hong kong is truly a gold mine for that cyberpunk aesthetic
- the super love sick shit didn't hit me right bc i've never been in love like that. tragic
aliasphimbolina
pronounsfeminine
544written posts
PHIMBOearned bits
offlinecurrently
PHIMBO
Part of the Furniture
PHIMBO Avatar
So, too, is Death possessed of infinite strategies and a gaunt nature.
finished a rewatch of death note last week.

the current rewatch— fullmetal alchemist: brotherhood. last night was the shou tucker episode (yikes). 

this summer gonna b a summer of old anime favs, and all for the sake of reintroducing purpose & conflict in my writing habits. thinking code geass could be next on the docket, who knows.
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,496written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i fear you: your silence, your blindness. see what you want to see!
As someone who's been buying every volume of The Case Study of Vanitas as it released in English (or at least at the earliest I was aware a new volume had come out), I'm not also someone who watches every episode as soon as I'm aware it's available to me. It's admittedly kind of surreal, since I tend to buy manga after having watched the anime or only watch the anime/read the manga, no cross-over. I think the only other manga I've read then proceeded to watch the anime for was OG Yu-Gi-Oh!/Season Zero, which... took liberties. Like, a LOT of liberties. Meanwhile, Case Study's anime is faithful enough that some scenes are just... straight up word-for-word how they're set up in the manga, but very occasionally, they'll add in or remove little bits that always leave me kind of off-kilter. I don't think it would bother me as much were it not for the fact that the majority of the show (other than cutting out every background crowd - for real, has anyone else noticed that (understandably) so many scenes where there should be people, maybe even are established to have lots of people are just... totally empty except for the main characters a lot of the time?) is so true to its source. Overall, though, enjoying it very much. Yes, good.

The only other anime I'm keeping up with is Sonny Boy, which is shocking considering how much I've enjoyed Case Study as a manga, but I like them just as much as each other. Often times, though, I feel like I'm not exactly Big Brained :tm: enough for what's happening, or like there's symbolism going on I'm missing. ... Or maybe it's just an Eva case where the imagery is mostly just there to look cool. Either way, very good. I would die for Mizuho, aaaaah.

write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW