pronounsMale
1,702written posts
Mouseearned bits
offlinecurrently
Mouse
Part of the Furniture
Mouse Avatar
where fears and lies melt away.
So I found an old plot for a fantasy site that me and friend were planning to work on together. It seems interesting enough to me but I wanted to know what other people thought of it. From what I can remember we were planning to have multiple races, and various kingdoms/factions.

From the heavens, was created a single stone. A stone forged by god himself, made to grant a single wish. The only requirement is that the wish must be spoken aloud. With such a simple condition, men and women alike rose to the challenge, to find the stone and have their deepest aspirations granted with a simple sentence. Yet for all of their desperation, their yearning was selfish. Greed ran rampant, and all wanted money, power, omnipotence, and replacements for those that had been lost. With so many selfish desires resurfaced, problems were created for this world. Thievory and trickery quickly turned to violence and betrayal. In time? As the blood was shed, it quickly turned into war.

The simple tale of two ambitious kings, both thirsting for the power of god - turned into a nightmare for all involved. With the Kings gone, war polluted the world. Chaos ran rampant throughout the entire world. Food was scarce, water ran dry, even the rain stopped falling: perhaps the earth's own testiment to the carnage, a plea for the bloodshed to stop. If it was truly a message, it fell upon deaf ears. The five year war seemed endless even to the few that remained peaceful, and death became deeply rooted into the warring world.

Things only changed when one man rose above all odds and found the stone that the Kings were looking for. Holding the gem within his hands, he looked about the world that surrounded him. It lay in ruins, tattered beyond recognition - and he realized that it needed more help than he could ever imagine needing for himself. It was then that it dawned on him, the reason that the stone was created. The Delta Stone was a test from god, to show the true nature of human beings. The soldier should have taken the stone to his King, to hopefully end the war... but that would not fix things, the world would still be in shambles.

So instead? He made a wish.

"I wish that the world would return to the way it was. A world with food and forests, water and rain. I want the world to be something to be proud of once more - and for this gemstone to fade into a tale of faslehood."

His wish of course, was granted. The area was coated into light: blue and bright and powerful. Water flowed from empty riverbeds, charred forests towered once more throughout the land. Life returned to the way it was meant to be.

As for the Delta stone? It was no longer sought after, it was something of myth - folklore, a childish story to tell your children at night. The soldier disappeared along with the stone, granted immortality as a gift from god for being more pure hearted than any other seeking the stone. He guards the gem with his very life, from the greed and selfishness that had the power to infect the entire world.

pronounsHe, Him
133written posts
Dolten♦earned bits
offlinecurrently
Dolten♦
Dolten♦ Avatar
It's your BOi = P
I like this, I feel it can be expanded upon in any direction that you wanna take it... I, however, feel that if you keep the idea of war or make you can come up with some interesting events that could take place in your world. You can create factions based around both sides having different versions of peace, how they want to change the world and establish to fit their personal ideals and ideology.

I think the bases of why each group wants the stone can be expanded and besides two kings you can have collective groups like different races united under one banner/faction vs the other.
last edit on Aug 13, 2018 5:19:12 GMT by Dolten♦
pronounsshe; her
63written posts
malachyearned bits
offlinecurrently
malachy
malachy Avatar
In terms of what Wizard said about your plot still needing to have war in rp-present time, I personally have to disagree. To be fair, I'm pretty biased because I never was able to get into war/faction plots for some reason, but I really do think that they've been done too much and, more often than not, done poorly.

Rather, because the plot of your rp is about individual greed re: the stone, I think you could emphasize that members build characters with some kind of wish or "lack" already hinted it or fully explained in their apps. This can be anything from "Character A wants to be the richest person alive" to "wants world peace" to "wants to remain happy." Then provide the option to let characters group themselves together if they want, but on a 100% volunteer basis. In other words, someone makes a knight and decides to be part of the castle guard or some such. Another person makes a thief that's part of some underground smuggling ring. Etc.

I'm also assuming that throughout your rp, the stone makes its reappearance in some way? I would imagine through site events where its existence is hinted at in increasing depth until the truth behind the myth is blown out into the open. That, or something similar, would provide enough forward plot momentum.
last edit on Aug 13, 2018 21:49:54 GMT by malachy
Rodent King
aliasditz
pronounsMale
1,702written posts
Mouseearned bits
offlinecurrently
Mouse
Part of the Furniture
Mouse Avatar
where fears and lies melt away.
malachy Avatar
In terms of what Wizard said about your plot still needing to have war in rp-present time, I personally have to disagree. To be fair, I'm pretty biased because I never was able to get into war/faction plots for some reason, but I really do think that they've been done too much and, more often than not, done poorly.

Rather, because the plot of your rp is about individual greed re: the stone, I think you could emphasize that members build characters with some kind of wish or "lack" already hinted it or fully explained in their apps. This can be anything from "Character A wants to be the richest person alive" to "wants world peace" to "wants to remain happy." Then provide the option to let characters group themselves together if they want, but on a 100% volunteer basis. In other words, someone makes a knight and decides to be part of the castle guard or some such. Another person makes a thief that's part of some underground smuggling ring. Etc.

I'm also assuming that throughout your rp, the stone makes its reappearance in some way? I would imagine through site events where its existence is hinted at in increasing depth until the truth behind the myth is blown out into the open. That, or something similar, would provide enough forward plot momentum.

I like both suggestions but yours stands out to me a bit more. Especially with the having every character list a wish within their applications.

Looking back at past conversations we certainly did plan to have the stone resurface and there be big build up towards gaining control of it. We wanted to have this big fantasy world be diverse and unique. I actually stumbled across something where the effects of the war weren't entirely erased, but memories were altered to have it replaced with another war. Something entirely unrelated to the stone itself.

I'd like to thank both you and for your suggestions and advice. I think...I'm going to find a way to combine the two of them together. Assuming I actual go through with making the site. I'm not actual able to get ahold of that friend anymore and I'm not sure doing it alone is something I'm capable of. But again thank you both! I'm actually rather happy to know people are interested!

pronounsshe; her
63written posts
malachyearned bits
offlinecurrently
malachy
malachy Avatar
Mouse Avatar
malachy Avatar

I like both suggestions but yours stands out to me a bit more. Especially with the having every character list a wish within their applications.

Looking back at past conversations we certainly did plan to have the stone resurface and there be big build up towards gaining control of it. We wanted to have this big fantasy world be diverse and unique. I actually stumbled across something where the effects of the war weren't entirely erased, but memories were altered to have it replaced with another war. Something entirely unrelated to the stone itself.

I'd like to thank both you and for your suggestions and advice. I think...I'm going to find a way to combine the two of them together. Assuming I actual go through with making the site. I'm not actual able to get ahold of that friend anymore and I'm not sure doing it alone is something I'm capable of. But again thank you both! I'm actually rather happy to know people are interested!

If you want something similar to war/factions but not quite as big in scale, you could incorporate species racism into the world-building? Like elves (or some other race) are discriminated against, a la Dragon Age. You could have a subplot where one radical group in town is trying to assassinate prominent elf characters. I feel like subplots are your friend here? Just a thought!

Also, I'm glad I could help to some extent! ;u; I totally love your idea and would join if you ever managed to create the site. I myself have zero expertise in creating rp sites, so I can't offer much, but I get not wanting to go into such a big project on your own. Good luck!!
pronounsHe, Him
133written posts
Dolten♦earned bits
offlinecurrently
Dolten♦
Dolten♦ Avatar
It's your BOi = P
malachy Avatar

Well, I mean the idea of war is always going to be complex no matter what you wanna do and what direction you wanna take the site. It's normally never done well cause people tend to fear the idea that their characters are going to die but it's all cool tho to not see full potential in the idea. I've seen tons of sites try to go for character development in a world , it's not original but what idea is original now of days. My point that I was going for was that depth is needed and a reason as to why people would do what they do along with a goal. I think people want a world that is complex and has struggles so that it's not peaches and cream 24/7 but that's my point of view. I personally love fantasy sites and seeing what happens and such.

The idea of conflict in the world can be established, it's mostly going to be political and such tho. If you want I can totally help you out with this, but that's only if you wanna do it.
last edit on Aug 14, 2018 5:06:56 GMT by Dolten♦
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

To keep the forum clean and so people know that all threads in certain areas are current and that the OP is likely to still have interest, we archive threads that haven't gotten posts for 2 weeks. This thread is being archived for that reason. If you would like this thread reopened, contact a staff member.