pronounshe/him
732written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
Phantasm Avatar
Thinking about different stat systems and ways to earn points/xp/etc makes my brain hurt a llittle

Wc? Too much padding. Threads? Short threads. Posts? Short posts. "Progression"? Too vague and too much staff work.

Granted, all of those are only for people that would take advantage of it - but they still influence everything
i go with posts and then ban bad-faith actors that are grinding posts for the sake of player killing unwilling participants. if they're just doing it to be powerful, i don't care. it's why they want to be powerful that i'm going to take issue with.

as a short poster i don't see an issue with short posts either so that's just me.
last edit on Nov 4, 2021 1:03:15 GMT by illidan main

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
Tidal Wave
aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Aki
pronounsAny
4,146written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
I don't have it in me to be a good staff member today. I don't have anything super productive to add for conversation either. My brain chose nope. But I'ma try.

Ya ever just look at your site and just go. "Man. The anniversary for this is in a month and I've got nothing planned" XD

aliasphimbolina
pronounsfeminine
551written posts
PHIMBOearned bits
offlinecurrently
PHIMBO
Part of the Furniture
PHIMBO Avatar
So, too, is Death possessed of infinite strategies and a gaunt nature.
Sharp Avatar
SPIRELE Avatar
Word count; AGREEGE.

But threads / posting?

What is the issue with 'short' posts or threads? The fact that they have to happen repeatedly means that regardless of length, things are moving. Sure, they could be inconsequential, or even SoL by Shounen standards, but that still means these characters are moving things forward and developing.

If you're worried about speed and acclimation then you could always add a timed gate. Decided upon however you will designate EXP and then cap it by a time period. You can only gain X amount of EXP per week or month to double layer it. 

The easiest way is to gate EXP or rank ups is via site wide events / event cycles but those put more pressure on staff to have them occur routinely.
To riff off this a bit, when building a system you should think about what is ideal to you. My prefered writing style is to avoid post splicing, so I don't put a lot of value into the size of posts. I don't look at individual posts in isolation, perfering more back and fourth between actors in a thread. (Doesn't mean I can't enjoy long-form styles, it just isn't my preference).

If you really want mass appeal I think you'd get the most millage out of an XP based progression and allowing a high power level starting out, it's not my bag personally but it attracts people who are big on power fantasy the best because they like to do math to figure out what they need to do for this or that and attention span can be pretty short.

let me join the conversation its been on my mind all throughout work today... O_o

in regards to systems and progression the best are the ones that... best represent the site you're making. an mmorpg setting would ideally require hard stats and seasonal "patches" (nerfs/upgrades) to work, a shounen setting demands for XP based progression, etc etc.

as always, something's gotta give at the detriment of others.

- hard stats turns off those who don't want to crunch numbers with the friendly neighborhood accountant.
- XP based progression rewards high-volume posters but discourages those who are slower by comparison.
- gatekeeping progression via time puts pressure on thread partners and unless they be your bros and you trust they'd prioritize your threads in good faith, i wouldn't put the onus of my character's progression entirely on their ability to reply in a timely manner.

events/event cycles put more pressure on staff, but its the surest method to maintain "fairness" between fast posters vs slow posters (that much i do agree w/ ). +1 if you're okay with some characters/canons (if you have them) starting at a higher tier (especially if the site features faction warfare. e.g. on a bleach site, the captain commander would obviously start at a higher caliber than the other captains of the Gotei 13). you can always handicap these canons if their OPness seems unfair, by implementing some kind of debt system.

in regards to the latter (read: debt), i'm personally not a huge fan. those who choose to write a canon are already expected to complete threads and push forward faction plotline/contribute to a greater story.

540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
PHIMBO Avatar
Sharp Avatar
To riff off this a bit, when building a system you should think about what is ideal to you. My prefered writing style is to avoid post splicing, so I don't put a lot of value into the size of posts. I don't look at individual posts in isolation, perfering more back and fourth between actors in a thread. (Doesn't mean I can't enjoy long-form styles, it just isn't my preference).

If you really want mass appeal I think you'd get the most millage out of an XP based progression and allowing a high power level starting out, it's not my bag personally but it attracts people who are big on power fantasy the best because they like to do math to figure out what they need to do for this or that and attention span can be pretty short.
let me join the conversation its been on my mind all throughout work today... O_o

in regards to systems and progression the best are the ones that... best represent the site you're making. an mmorpg setting would ideally require hard stats and seasonal "patches" (nerfs/upgrades) to work, a shounen setting demands for XP based progression, etc etc.

as always, something's gotta give at the detriment of others.

- hard stats turns off those who don't want to crunch numbers with the friendly neighborhood accountant.
- XP based progression rewards high-volume posters but discourages those who are slower by comparison.
- gatekeeping progression via time puts pressure on thread partners and unless they be your bros and you trust they'd prioritize your threads in good faith, i wouldn't put the onus of my character's progression entirely on their ability to reply in a timely manner.

events/event cycles put more pressure on staff, but its the surest method to maintain "fairness" between fast posters vs slow posters (that much i do agree w/ ). +1 if you're okay with some characters/canons (if you have them) starting at a higher tier (especially if the site features faction warfare. e.g. on a bleach site, the captain commander would obviously start at a higher caliber than the other captains of the Gotei 13). you can always handicap these canons if their OPness seems unfair, by implementing some kind of debt system.

in regards to the latter (read: debt), i'm personally not a huge fan. those who choose to write a canon are already expected to complete threads and push forward faction plotline/contribute to a greater story.

I agree and disagree with fitting the setting, it depends. I'm not going to bother fetching the exact quote, but I remember something like Naruto cutting months off of learning how to do something basic with his ability to copy himself. I actually see story-telling value in representing these weaker stages, but trying to reflect even a fraction of that authentiticy is not a popular choice that I have made. The best comparisson I have is to another place where I could easily go from knowing nothing about fire to using fireballs in a matter of days if I wanted to. The latter is going to be far more popular (but IMO popular isn't equal to good). You can look at how D&D has evolved over the years to take out most of the actual challenge to get an idea of what sells among adjacent roleplayers.

I like events as a primary catalyst for growth as well though. Whatever is incentivized tends to get done. When it comes to time discounting but not removing needed effort is what I like.

Debt is something I use with stronger abilities to try to make other choices more appealing, but people seem drawn to take the debt and then complain about the debt instead OTL.
last edit on Nov 4, 2021 22:31:35 GMT by Sharp
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,238written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
i miss the days when i would just. make a site and if it sank or swam, i didn't care, because it was for me and my friends and whoever else wanted to come play in the sandbox with me.

now i'm older and so anxious about if no one else wants to come join me in the sandbox or if they leave the sandbox without a word, and it's just so never-wracking, i hate it-

pronounshe/him
732written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
i can kinda see why people don't do original dragon riders. after trying to build a site based around it, the amount of work that goes into it is just so exhausting. it's so much easier to just use Pern as a base because there's already so many resources for it and already a fandom to pull from.

i've switched to just focusing on the site being an original fantasy adventure site and while that's still hard, i felt the pressure came off immediately. i suddenly didn't have to make a bunch of dragon designs and inspirations and think about rules around dragons.
last edit on Nov 5, 2021 17:22:45 GMT by illidan main

aliasraisin
pronounsshur
87written posts
reisenearned bits
offlinecurrently
reisen
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
reisen Avatar
There's definitely a prevailing idea that when administrating, staff should be impartial and professional, in a sense. But at what point does one ditch the airs and decide something for their site based on personal interest? I'd been a firm believer in doing things with fairness, but after seeing too many skirted rules and exploited loopholes?
Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,146written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
I just try to be myself as much as possible. I have a firm standing with my rules, but will bend them within reason if a member needs to. As long as they ask me about it before doing the thing, I'm usually okay with some level of it. I don't sit around asking for respect though, I feel like I earn it. I get to know each and every member on a personal kind of level, which I mean I guess is okay for having a smaller site. I try to do everything fairly as well, and don't really stand for discrimination or intolerance of any such kind.

also, sorry for the tag but holy crap that profile pic is cute who is it? The mini hover lol.

aliasraisin
pronounsshur
87written posts
reisenearned bits
offlinecurrently
reisen
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
reisen Avatar
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I just try to be myself as much as possible. I have a firm standing with my rules, but will bend them within reason if a member needs to. As long as they ask me about it before doing the thing, I'm usually okay with some level of it. I don't sit around asking for respect though, I feel like I earn it. I get to know each and every member on a personal kind of level, which I mean I guess is okay for having a smaller site. I try to do everything fairly as well, and don't really stand for discrimination or intolerance of any such kind.

also, sorry for the tag but holy crap that profile pic is cute who is it? The mini hover lol.
it's kal'tsit from arknights.

Yeah, I was thinking that generally, being fair is good. But if you observe someone doing something "bad", consistently, do you want to be the kind of person who thinks they'll break the habit, do you do nothing, or do you make it clear that you won't stand for it?
pronounshe/him
732written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
reisen Avatar
AkiraTsunami Avatar

it's kal'tsit from arknights.

Yeah, I was thinking that generally, being fair is good. But if you observe someone doing something "bad", consistently, do you want to be the kind of person who thinks they'll break the habit, do you do nothing, or do you make it clear that you won't stand for it?
i'm usually the latter honestly.

if someone's making people in my community incredibly uncomfortable, even if they haven't broken any rules, i'm getting rid of them.

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
When it comes to me making a site and trying to get members to join. Iโ€™m guilty of refusing some people from my past if we got off on bad terms from another site. Just why are you joining my site when you know we donโ€™t get along? So it isnโ€™t always my current rules getting broken but another site in general. Also I find myself tempted to try coding on jcink again but my motivation is lacking right at the moment.
Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,146written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
We've been getting a slow steady stream of new people lately and I kinda like it. I love new members.

aliasmiddy, midnight
pronounsShe/Her
668written posts
NIGHTBLOOMearned bits
offlinecurrently
NIGHTBLOOM
Part of the Furniture
NIGHTBLOOM Avatar
so it goes.
Facing a conundrum and wondering what your approach would be. :'3

I recently switched skins in jcink. But the old custom fields did not match the new skin, so I have about 30+ fields now since the old skin was a user profile app, and for testing purposes, I made new custom fields for the new skin so it didn't interrupt the old skin... So now... Should I edit the old field names to match and break everything for a bit or just keep the new custom fields and delete all the unused ones, even though... They'll all be out of order now :'3 my OCD is screaming at me right now.

coming soon.