aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Aki
pronounsAny
4,159written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
onlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
sorry for double post, two days later. but.

Yall ever get the urge to just... Redo the whole skin for no reason other than just to do it? Is it because of the season change or just because I want things to look different than the other two. I know there are sites out there that keep their skins for literal years, but I seem to change mine by season or dramatic plot change lol. What causes yall to change skins?

Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,159written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
onlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
I think my favorite part of staffing is the integration of ideas from everywhere else. Watching members come up with plotlines and having fun is particularly nice, especially if things get a little stale. We haven't had new content in awhile because last year was just... it needed not be there. But I think we're finally getting a grip on some cool things now. Coming up with events is hard, moving plots is hard sometimes, but it's quite nice when the members help move things right along sometimes.

local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
734written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
i think we should start allowing multiple ocs with the same fcs on sites, and they shouldn't have to "ask for permission" from the original person to use the fc just bc they got to it first.

Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,159written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
onlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
to the above post, that would be nice, but people in the rpc are very particular sometimes and it can cause a lot of drama. everybody being cool with sharing would be nice though. tbf most of my sites are set up like an ask for use kind of thing, whether people are okay with sharing the fc or dropping it entirely cuz they're not really using it. it's kind of as close as anyone will get to open sharing i think, because people are people.

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Hi hello I have direct experience relating to this!

Previous forum I was on, I pushed for us to adapt our FC claims list into a shareable format. It was a little drop-down field right on your profile you could change any time for whether the FC was Open, Ask, or Closed, and it plugged directly into the claims as a green, yellow, or red icon.

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me now, but it worked out to something like 40% wanted a closed, totally unshareable FC, 35% listed as Ask and just wanted to know who all was using it and/or had stipulations about only sharing alternates or something like that to discuss directly, and the last 25% were full Open, do w/e you want.

Not quite an even 33%/33%/33%, but it was still pretty refreshing to see how many people were actually open to some kind of sharing!

I'm also currently running a board with full Open FCs and no claims list at all, because norly why's that a thing we even gotta worry about? I haven't heard any complaints yet but I also cater to a very particular type of player who knows to not get attached in the first place. On the contrary, because of this design, we have a character subscribing to the fabled Identical Quintuplets school of D&D thought.

IMO, it's another type of fun we're constantly closing ourselves off to because people in the community have leaned too far into Writing As Prestigeโ„ข and forgotten our roots as a bunch of silly nerds doing stupid things because it's funny.
aliasAerie, badmin, insert profanity
pronounsShe/They
140written posts
Aerieearned bits
offlinecurrently
Aerie
Aerie Avatar
sometimes we ball, sometimes we fall.
we finna see 25 of the same jjk and genshin fcs in one town

make them fight to the death
pronounsshe/her
329written posts
Mizoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Mizo
Mizo Avatar
If you are reading this, I am beautiful.
sister ghoul Avatar
i think we should start allowing multiple ocs with the same fcs on sites, and they shouldn't have to "ask for permission" from the original person to use the fc just bc they got to it first.
:100: it can be frustrating to try and join a site when every fc I want is taken (up to 20+ fcs). I think it'll definitely make more sites accessible if they weren't gated by specific claims, and fcs can especially be a high barrier of entry for sites when it comes to POC characters since there are much lesser POC fcs available.

As long as people are not using the exact same hover/icon as you... it shouldn't matter. A lot of popular fcs have so much diverse art that you can have two charas with the same face claim and still look/feel/completely different.
last edit on Sept 1, 2023 18:28:02 GMT by Mizo

pronounshe/him
734written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
Honestly, if I ever host another public OC site, the rules are gonna be simple: "If you want exclusive use of your character's graphical appearance, you can commission an artist for a design that you own." Wolf RP has broken my tolerance for FC drama. Know what I haven't had to deal with in my entire year of Wolf RP? Anyone complaining that someone's "sitting" on a face claim, because we all use designs we either bought, adopted, or made ourselves. People talking about how "the FC doesn't fit the character," or "I need this FC to not be taken by a new member because it's for my want ad."

It's really nice, actually, and therefore I'm never running a site with exclusive FCs again. If you don't own the rights to the characters depicted in ur graphics, u don't get to say who can and can't use the images.

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,159written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
onlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
noire Avatar
Hi hello I have direct experience relating to this!

Previous forum I was on, I pushed for us to adapt our FC claims list into a shareable format. It was a little drop-down field right on your profile you could change any time for whether the FC was Open, Ask, or Closed, and it plugged directly into the claims as a green, yellow, or red icon.

YOU KNOW WHAT!? THIS IS BRILLIANT! I'm gonna run and add a little space on the fucking menu right now lol. MAN I NEVER THOUGHT OF A DAMN DROP DOWN

Edit: Addition cuz i read the rest of the posts lol. I literally just got stuck on that one line and replied XD ANYWAYS

For my general... rule of thumb. It's always been like... Some characters have pics with glasses, and some without, well lookit that, two different fcs. Different colorations? Different. Different forms because they're from a weird costume/gatcha game with different styles/outfits? different fcs. If they look different enough, then they're different.

TBF THO i am really attached to a few of my fcs that I would like not to share(theres like 10 out of 70 that i wouldn't drop or share), but literally everything else. I dont care. It really comes down to how important they are to the story or whether or not their aesthetic is against lore or something like that. Okay thats it lol.
last edit on Sept 2, 2023 21:16:19 GMT by AkiraTsunami

aliasThe Moustachioed Greek
pronounshe/him
208written posts
Kostearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kost
Kost Avatar
D-d-digimon!
After years of editing (or forgetting to edit) FC lists, I've tried doing non-exclusive FCs for my most recent site. So far, the community is thankfully free of FC drama. Then again, most members from what I've seen are still picking unique FCs out of habit/courtesy/whatever you wanna call it.
Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,159written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
onlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I rather miss being in the public circles sometimes, and may or may not rejoin them soon. I miss people. New members that come in and just stick. I really don't miss the drama that people can bring though. It's been quiet, in a good way, but also in a bad way. idk lol. Might be about time to test the waters again.

aliasmany - just ask!
pronounsShe/They
205written posts
eulalieearned bits
offlinecurrently
eulalie
eulalie Avatar
Let the mighty be humbled.
Creating a forum is a lot of work, but I'm glad that this new forum we are working on has a nice, little team going for it now. Sure, there's about 5 of us, but that honestly I think helps from keeping any one person from getting too overwhelmed. We have the lore person, the plot person, the QA person (to make sure the first two makes sense), and two of us at the helm giving ideas, support, and project management. sadly no jcink coder lol

Maybe it's coming from several roleplays where a very small admin team (forums, discord, FFXIV, etc), but I definitely appreciate there being a lot of help for the future of staffing. Like I said, it helps not everything from falling on one person. And I hope, fingers crossed, when we do open, members can see that all of us have put love and care into it.