aliasAerie, badmin, insert profanity
pronounsShe/They
140written posts
Aerieearned bits
offlinecurrently
Aerie
Aerie Avatar
sometimes we ball, sometimes we fall.
Dismissing an argument as conflating when it's healthy dialogue the community should have isn't a good direction IMO, but I knew pointing it out would make people feel uncomfortable.

So sure, crediting is the least we can do when we don't have consent. It might be a good time for everyone to go add their hover and icon credits to their signature here on PP. As well as your Discord PFP and banner. And start expecting ICs with hype graphics to post credits. 

Also maybe it's just because I'm on mobile, but I don't see any art credits for the PP skin itself. I'm thinking that's just an accident with the newer skin but not sure who to point it out to. Or it's just because I'm a mobile swine.

I also would totally be on board if the community moved to artless rp. No PFP, just writing. Maybe it would allow us to combine with irlrp...
last edit on Feb 10, 2024 21:11:30 GMT by Aerie
pronounsshe/hers
72written posts
ireneearned bits
offlinecurrently
irene
irene Avatar
Added my pfp and icon credit! It is by the lovely Yakito Lulu. Please go support them by giving them a like/subscribe <3

Yeah, there's two different conversations being conflated into one. One is financially supporting/exploiting theft and advertisement of theft services, and the other is being too much of a wuss to ask permission (I am the wuss). The latter can be mitigated by free advertisement for the artists via credits, whereas the former can't be mitigated with proper credits without confronting the theft machine aspect.

Again, it's totally ppls prerogative what they do just like its my prerogative to have my own haterisms. I write with anyone regardless of their imagery idgaf

irl rp... NOW we're talking!!!!
last edit on Feb 10, 2024 21:45:44 GMT by irene
aliaskat
pronounsshe/her
99written posts
katearned bits
offlinecurrently
kat
kat Avatar
Using art without credit or art that an artist has explicitly said not to repost is wrong. I think the community is getting better about this but we have a ways to go. ALL of us can still do a lot better about it, I absolutely speak for myself as well.

That said, you cannot compare reposting art without credit (wrong) to paying money into a company (that includes using a 'free' app/service with ads) that is stealing (actually stealing) art en mass to reproduce its style meanwhile artists protest and unionize against it. If you repost art without credit, you're being shitty-- if you use AI art, you're actively contributing to taking away artists' livelihoods on the whole. If you're alright with more and more of our consumed content being AI generated, then I guess that the behavior makes sense. This is pretty basic stuff that every single artist you admire has spoken up against.

Seems like the same people saying "both sides are bad" are simply the people who commonly utilize AI art. Just own the fact that you don't support artists and stop pretending that you care about both issues being wrong.

P.S. yep, fully support the idea of a credit field on PP. Will make like Irene and add the credits for my own hover/pfp to my signature today as well. Thanks for sparking a convo on that so more of us credit properly. :thumbsup:
last edit on Feb 10, 2024 22:44:19 GMT by kat

hover @kagoya1219 twit
icon 'heart breaker' manhwa
no angel
aliasโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ
pronounszimzala/bim
181written posts
ace.earned bits
offlinecurrently
ace.
ace. Avatar
I took a little piece of your heart, don't hate me.
kat Avatar

That said, you cannot compare reposting art without credit (wrong) to paying money into a company (that includes using a 'free' app/service with ads) that is stealing (actually stealing)
well tbf it's not stealing anything; read up on how the tech works. i encourage everyone who's anti-ai to do this, here's an article hitting the basics.

in summary though, if you general you don't want to read the article, and you don't want to do your own research: ai art tools mimic what people do. it (whatever model is being used) gets a prompt, checks its "memory" (training set), and tries to generate something that fits the prompt.

it's like if i told you to draw mickey mouse -- you're going to think of mickey mouse and draw him. are you stealing from walt disney? is it a moral wrong that you've seen mickey mouse before? of course not. same thing with ai

last edit on Feb 10, 2024 23:29:03 GMT by ace.
no angel in you
aliasJen, DeJener8
pronounsShe/her
276written posts
Jenesisearned bits
offlinecurrently
Jenesis
Jenesis Avatar
Hoarding problematic men for fun and profit
people: editing your pfps in photoshop is just as much art stealing as ai is

me, who just crops and sometimes resizes in ms paint:

(ime, rehosting with credit, i.e. a direct link to where the artist is hosting the art, is no different than sharing a link to the artist's page on discord saying "hey, friends, check out this cool art." it's just more steps to display the art in the proper template size or w/e)
pronounsD A R K
259written posts
offlinecurrently
Death is just a new beginning.
โ€ข I never choose a FC and then create a character......I always do it backwards, because I want them to be 100% my original creation, however this always bites me in the butt because it's so hard to then find a fitting face claim.
โ€ข I also never watch the anime of my FC because it's just weird for me, & plus I'm worried about being influenced by the original character that the FC comes from.
โ€ข The first FC that is used for your character sticks with me. I get attached to them, so when my friends change their character's FC, I really struggle, unless it's a realistic reason (they are younger, older, etc).
aliaspor, sef, jdawg
pronounsshe | her
526written posts
porsefearned bits
offlinecurrently
porsef
Part of the Furniture
porsef Avatar
chichi wo moge

I don't believe it was appropriate to make pointed accusations about people who have a different outlook than you just to make a point.

I will not be a hypocrite and admit that I've paid into and used AI generation services (both text and art) for personal use a few times. Would I do it again? Maybe. Though, it depends on how the information it pulls from is sourced. In addition to the usage of AI, I've not credited artists at times due to being unable to find the source or out of pure laziness. However, I don't believe that means I or others that share a similar opinion are 'pretending to care' about it or 'don't support artists' in some capacity.

Even as an artist, I can see where you (and others) are coming from. While I remain firm in my belief that both sides are bad and you can compare both, I think I can agree that the monetization aspect of AI does give it more impact that warrants it to be advocated against.

Alas, it's probably good for me to stop contributing to the ouroboros.
last edit on Feb 10, 2024 23:53:18 GMT by porsef
internally screaming
pronounsshe/her
1,799written posts
Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
just a note from staff, if people can't discuss this politely in a mutually respectable way - then we will lock and move the thread. I do understand this is a controversial topic and we think conversation should continue but only if it can be in a even debate.

frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,517written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
Aerie Avatar
Also maybe it's just because I'm on mobile, but I don't see any art credits for the PP skin itself. I'm thinking that's just an accident with the newer skin but not sure who to point it out to. Or it's just because I'm a mobile swine.

Skin art credits are located in the navigation modal pop-out! Also, fixed up the defunct profile field Image Credits, which should now properly display credits in your user profile (links can be added using the usual [ a href = "" ], as in posts). If you'd like to put credits in signatures so it's visible from the posting area, that's also cool, too - just letting people know there's a dedicated spot for it (as there always was supposed to be, and someone *cough* Leap *cough* just kept forgetting to fix -)
the endless hunt
aliasleto, blobert, crow
pronounshe / they
1,392written posts
ullaearned bits
offlinecurrently
ulla
Administrator
ulla Avatar
in turning divine, we tangle endlessly

seconding the note from staff, we would like to remind everyone that while it's okay to have differing opinions, and to get very passionate about those opinions, you are still responsible for how you conduct yourself in this space. if you don't think that you can continue to engage with the dialogue respectfully, it may be time to take a step back and move onto other things. we don't want to have to remove posts or dish out posting restrictions, but we will if we deem it necessary.

as a reminder, the report post button is, as always, a tool at member disposal.
last edit on Feb 11, 2024 0:54:43 GMT by ulla
kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,348written posts
offlinecurrently
wdym we're 5 months in 2024
Part of the Furniture
wdym we're 5 months in 2024 Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
1. If you tell me to draw mickey mouse, i canโ€™t. Because drawing takes skill and practice. Ai art will do that based on the style it has learned from non-consenting artists

2. I can credit the fanart iโ€™m using for rps. Who are you crediting with ai art?

3. Using fanart even with credits is a very grey area already. I will never say itโ€™s completely okay without explicit permission from the artist, which isnโ€™t always feasible. I think thatโ€™s already toeing the fine line, and we try to give as much as we take by linking. And when people see the fanart i am using, i can go, โ€œyeah this artist made it! Theyโ€™re awesome!โ€ But what do you do with ai art? Oh, i generated it with this and this prompt, thanks to the indefinite images it has learned from.

Saying weโ€™re already doing the same thing as ai art and โ€œstealingโ€ is insane. Stealing is literally taking credit but you canโ€™t even claim ai art. No one can. Itโ€™s an amalgamation of stolen techniques.

If youโ€™re pressed on using ai art, who can stop you if youโ€™re convinced itโ€™s okay. But donโ€™t put it at the same level as we are doing. In the past, we didnโ€™t even credit. We didnโ€™t care. But now we are trying to show more support to artists. Content creators are insistent on credits. People always try to leave credits in comments. There are various sources used to find an imageโ€™s source to find a proper credit. We are trying to improve and go forward.

Ai art is an attack on that.
pronounsthey/them
187written posts
inkearned bits
offlinecurrently
ink
ink Avatar
i used to research about generative AI for my job and im begging everyone to like familiarize themselves with how the technology works before writing an opinion in here, please i am suffering so much. if you donโ€™t know what a โ€œdatasetโ€ or โ€œmachine learning modelโ€ is then please google some more before posting

edit: in case this isnโ€™t clear i mean that generative AI is a mass theft machine, not inherently creative
last edit on Feb 11, 2024 4:27:43 GMT by ink
pronounshe/him
734written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
tbh i've kinda gone to using concept art, images from Magic the Gathering, high quality screen caps, and League of Legends skins rather than fanart drawn by fans when i can't commission art myself.

i need to root out the rest of the images i'm using that aren't just Official Work, but using fanart has kinda made me uncomfortable for a while. Personally, I don't mind if people use my art for role play or discord pfps so long as it's credited back to me (UNLESS it was commissioned; then it belongs to someone else, don't do that). one of my pieces actually made it onto a smogon discord as a sticker. but not all artists feel the same.

my avatars here on PP are art i personally own, of an OC that was custom designed not necessarily for me but given to me all the same (his creator made him before she knew me, and then contacted me asking if I wanted to play him; I named him and here we are, two years later, and i'm still playing him). i've personally found it to be a LOT cooler existing in a space where people draw or commission their own OCs, or make them in dollmakers/heroforge/the sims, than in spaces where people use face claims. ai art takes a massive dump on the concept of making a space friendly for artists, and that's kinda why I'm against it.
last edit on Feb 11, 2024 3:34:45 GMT by illidan main

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
1written post
expertlurkerearned bits
offlinecurrently
expertlurker
expertlurker Avatar
tadontbother Avatar
Everyone here uses art not produced by themself following their obsession with aesthetic first and morals second. Your "free advertising" is worth literally cents to the artists you steal from to edit the shit out of their artwork.

Some of you make site skins populated entirely with stolen artwork to earn actual money. Those same people are acting like they have the moral authority to define what is and isn't stealing in this thread and drawing a line that conveniently benefits themselves.

As a very long time lurker and after the post above this one, I wanted to make an account and say I agree with most of this sentiment. Minus the last part of course lol.

(What I'm about to say obviously excludes those that draw their own stuff, have their characters commissioned, and gaining permission from the artists themselves to use their work. Also, please recognize that when I use "you", this is not aimed at anyone here. This is just for argument sake.)

By the looks of it, this all really falls back to consent than actual crediting considering that the argument here is that you can't credit an artist with AI and using their work without permission... yet just because you credit something does not mean you actually gotten permission. That doesn't change the fact you did not get explicit consent for an artist to use their work. I mean, it's nice you're giving some free exposure to an artist whose style you may fancy, but were you given the green light? Did they tell you, "Sure! Go right ahead!" or did you ignore their request when they say "do not repost" but do it anyway, yet you credit still thinking you did good because, "Hey, at least I'm giving credit where it's due!" If the foundation of this whole debate is around consent and you don't have that, but you use it anyway and give credit... then yes, I do think they're the same.

And ESPECIALLY the bolded part! I'm surprised no one even called this out. Some skinners are using artwork without permission (if not mentioned) and making a profit out of it. I find that to be really hypocritical and how you could even try to have some sort of moral high ground and be judgemental to those that use AI. I am pretty sure one person mentioned that they don't even use AI for commercial use, which is FAR worse than using it for personal use if you want me to pick between the two evils.

As someone else has said, at the end of the day, people will do what they want so as long as they're not hurting anyone. I do not at all judge anyone that uses AI or someone who uses artwork without consent BUT does credit the artist. We can have our opinions on this subject and that's completely fine. This is a hobby we all enjoy partaking in and to have fun in.

I just really don't like how one side is being portrayed as the villain when the other side isn't really as better as you think it is when you get passed the surface level of it.

Edit: I decided to remove the last part of the quoted post because it was very uncalled for. I also want to add that in regards to the whole going artless, I don't think it'd be possible to do that in the first place. The majority of people like to have a clear reference of what a character looks like. Lots of us like looking at pretty stuff, and that's okay! Myself included! The same with skins and templates. Look at how much more aesthetic they've grown! I'm not even mad at it. Roleplay has evolved so much than what it first became, and I don't think it's possible to regress.
last edit on Feb 11, 2024 16:55:57 GMT by expertlurker
pronounsshe/hers
72written posts
ireneearned bits
offlinecurrently
irene
irene Avatar
omg NOT anons coming out of the woodwork kjhefjkrhg... I'm genuinely slayed!

One is advertisement for artists, whereas the other is advertisement for exploitative art theft companies. Until those companies get consent, give compensation to those whose data it uses, or remove the data of those who are unwilling to give theirs, it's still exploitation.

Lack of credit is a separate issue from funding companies that are actively siphoning their business.

Plagiarists will plagiarize. Thieves will steal. If AI art users want to use AI art that is fine. Just be unapologetic about it instead of obfuscating with false equivalencies.

I will say as an artist, I'd love for free advertisement PLS even if no one got my consent.