aliasLuxu, TenebraeQueene
pronounsShe/They
313written posts
Galeforceearned bits
offlinecurrently
Galeforce
Galeforce Avatar
covered in scars but roses are coming through the cracks
we all have dumb things we believed as kids.

what was some of your funny/silly/dumb things you believed when you were little?

i'll go first!:

in grade school, i believed that "sayonara" was "spanish" because the first time i came across the word was in written form. i was pretty sheltered and didn't know that the japanese language existed. when i turned 13-ish and got access to the internet for the first time, i discovered subbed anime and finally realized my deeply dumb mistake LOL.
kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,326written posts
offlinecurrently
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
Part of the Furniture
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
for starters, i'm esl but to be fair, my country is specifically bilingual.

there was a topic about smelling good and i proudly said, while combing my hair with my fingers, "my hair is so smelly! it's so smelly!"

and my sisters laughed out loud before internet was a thing. they did try to explain to me what it means and proved it to me by showing me its meaning through britannica (you know, the cd) and i of course rejected it. though honestly it just made more sense in my head. if something smells a lot, why would the first meaning be a bad thing!
last edit on Jan 7, 2024 2:36:13 GMT by BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
aliasmori, manon, saki
pronounsshe / her
632written posts
offlinecurrently
๐š–๐š˜๐š›๐š’ Avatar
i know you see yourself as a fighter. well, i see myself as one, too.

that cats would steal baby's breath!

it's a superstition i heard all the time as a kid, but i was always so bummed abt not being able to have a cat at home bc i lived in a multi-generational household and there were always babies who could be smothered by the cat going into their bassinet and stealing their little breaths right out of their mouths!

i know better now obvs but man... so many years catless...

aliasmany - just ask!
pronounsShe/They
203written posts
eulalieearned bits
offlinecurrently
eulalie
eulalie Avatar
Let the mighty be humbled.
Desmond Miles Avatar
i thought San Diego CA and Chicago IL were the same place. It took me until like almost middle school to finally realize they were in fact, not =_=
As someone that lives near Chicago and goes to San Diego every other year, this got a good chuckle out of me lol

last edit on Jan 7, 2024 19:56:42 GMT by eulalie
pronounsshe/her
328written posts
Mizoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Mizo
Mizo Avatar
If you are reading this, I am beautiful.
I thought that if you attached paper fans to your hands and flapped them hard, you could fly. As far as I was concerned, birds can do that, so why can't I?

(I fell off the bookshelf and nearly broke my arm)
[googlefont=Karla]
last edit on Jan 8, 2024 5:04:50 GMT by Mizo

kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,326written posts
offlinecurrently
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
Part of the Furniture
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
Just remembered that i believed the chi thing gohan taught videl but fortunately so did my sister and we were both trying to learn how to fly
local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
727written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
I used to think Depeche Mode was pronounced โ€œdep-ay-che modeโ€ and my parents still make fun of me for it. Itโ€™s ironic bc now I like the band lmao

pronounsshe/her
84written posts
fawnearned bits
offlinecurrently
fawn
fawn Avatar
my idea of what months are associated with what seasons is fundamentally off. (ps this is american biased) i know itโ€™s wrong now but emotionally/intuitively iโ€™m still little.

i thought may june july were summer months.
august is just clearly a fall month alongside september and october. so forth and so on.
last edit on Jan 8, 2024 20:07:05 GMT by fawn
the endless hunt
aliasleto, blobert, crow
pronounshe / they
1,381written posts
ullaearned bits
offlinecurrently
ulla
Administrator
ulla Avatar
in turning divine, we tangle endlessly

when i was like 5, i used to think that canada and china were the same country

the context is that my paternal grandparents are chinese and we would often visit them in their very chinese community in canada when i was little, and so i very improperly connected the dots. i vaguely remember realizing that i was stupid as hell in like... fourth grade or something like that. that entire time i'd been telling my classmates that i was visiting china when it was canada
the waking storm
aliasLuxu, TenebraeQueene
pronounsShe/They
313written posts
Galeforceearned bits
offlinecurrently
Galeforce
Galeforce Avatar
covered in scars but roses are coming through the cracks
fawn Avatar
my idea of what months are associated with what seasons is fundamentally off. (ps this is american biased) i know itโ€™s wrong now but emotionally/intuitively iโ€™m still little.

i thought may june july were summer months.
august is just clearly a fall month alongside september and october. so forth and so on.

wait... WHAT??! JUNE AND JULY AREN'T SUMMER MONTHS?! *genuine shock*

i... my life is a lie. orz
aliasSola
pronounsthey/he
205written posts
Solaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sola
Sola Avatar
Tell me which you dread more ; the echo or the answer?
When I was about ten, my dad told me that the reason they called this video rental store "Mammoth Video" was because they found an entire Mammoth fossil underneath the store before building it. 
I believed him until I was sixteen and was telling my friend this really cool fun fact. 
aliasdisco, volero, rocco
pronounshe/him
8written posts
discoearned bits
offlinecurrently
disco
disco Avatar
sobe desce vai pirar
There's a few here I feel deserve an honorable mention.

+ So growing up, I had family that lived on the west coast. I was under the assumption that I shared the same time as everyone else besides those who lived in California. Then growing up, I learned about time zones.

+ Following the last one, I was under the assumption that because California was a few hours behind us, they could time travel. As a child, I was very distraught that they did nothing to stop 9/11.

+ I had a strong fascination with the Bermuda Triangle as a child and always assumed it would be a bigger problem than it is nowadays. Why weren't we doing anything to stop it?

+ Honestly thought they produced television shows the day they premiered. I always hoped that they wouldn't mess up in the middle of the episode in case they had to start it all over again.

+ I feel this is a common one among Americans, but who else thought Washington DC was in the actual state of Washington?
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW