Post a Random Thought

236written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
ink Avatar
traveller Avatar
The point was that writing may be subjective, but there's people employed whose approach to editing is based on more than "this is just my opinion." So I think dismissing talking about writing based on "it's all subjective" is a bit short-sighted.

Maybe I'm just entirely wrong for questioning the status quo. I accept I'm probably the weird one here.

hate to say this, but i've worked with multiple editors for publications with millions of readers and every single one of them had their unique editing style, and their notes were oftentimes contradictory. they were all highly respected in their field. so really it shouldn't be surprising if rp is also highly subjective. that's what i love about it, and what keeps me coming back for more posts!
Yes, I’m aware. But again, I’m not arguing writing (and roleplaying) aren’t subjective. I’m saying you can give feedback on writing that is rooted in more than “oh, I just like it this way.” I don’t want to pull the “I’m a professional editor at a publishing company” card, but it’s not like I’m saying this as some hobbyist enthusiast. My colleagues and I do give feedback to writers based on what the writer wants to achieve with their prose, and what techniques one could use to achieve that. And I assume so do you. It’s not just, “well, imo…”

It remains subjective, but I believe firmly there’s a difference between “I use long sentences because I like them” and “I used a long sentence here to build up the same sense of overstimulation the main character is experiencing from the constant barrage of sounds and flashes of light and voices and the clanging and banging of pots and pans and mice skittering over the floor as aunt Marie’s cackles with delight while a train’s lights flash in the rearview mirror.”

If someone asks, “Hey, how can I convey this character is being overstimulated?”, is the answer “Eh, that’s a matter of opinion”? Sure, there’s not one universal answer to that question, but knowing what you can do can help people develop the style that works for them.
last edit on Apr 6, 2024 0:01:45 GMT by traveller
"Someone's got to die today and you have got the final say. You? Or your crew?"
236written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
Anyway, I like writing and I was a bit surprised I hardly ever see talk about writing in the animanga roleplay community. Just seemd so hand-in-glove that a hobby rooted in writing would discuss writing more, so I am mostly just surprised this is not the case and wanted to understand why that is.

I’m satisfied with the answers “it’s too subjective” and “cos I just want to chill and not think too hard about it.”
"Someone's got to die today and you have got the final say. You? Or your crew?"
1written post
sissieearned bits
offlinecurrently
sissie
sissie Avatar
I'm older now. Near thirty.

And I'm sad I can't recapture how truly passionate I felt about forum-based roleplay when I was a twelve year old child.

Edit - Also this is account is 5 years old and this is my first ever post here.
last edit on Apr 6, 2024 6:23:03 GMT by sissie
sdkvnklweanl;
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,533written posts
onlinecurrently
ditto become human
Part of the Furniture
ditto become human Avatar
maybe wallace being my fav was foreshadowing
sissie Avatar
I'm older now. Near thirty.

And I'm sad I can't recapture how truly passionate I felt about forum-based roleplay when I was a twelve year old child.

Edit - Also this is account is 5 years old and this is my first ever post here.

as a past 30 year old, personally, i don’t think you should make it a “you” issue. There are always other factors, most of which are beyond us. Forum rp climate is completely different than it was before, which isnt necessarily a bad thing.

I’m not as passionate with forum rp anymore either as i was back then, and i am actually glad about it. RPing is a tad bit too volatile to emotionally ride on. Which seems contradicting bc my creative project atm is my upcoming site. But i guess i am approaching it with more stability? Rather than the fire that comes with passion… basically im not beating myself too hard on it and going on my own pace, not trying to meet expectations or being popular. Just creating what i want.

Probably doesnt make sense but!! What i just want to say is, it’s not your fault and there are a lot of happy rp things out there for sure, and i wish you luck in your endeavors.

And being older is actually based

【 POKEMON EVOLUTION: TERRORS 】
(latest update: 8/28 wall of update)
sdkvnklweanl;
pronounsshe/her
1,533written posts
onlinecurrently
ditto become human
Part of the Furniture

That tiny space there is where i sleep now i guess

sdkvnklweanl;
pronounsshe/her
1,533written posts
onlinecurrently
ditto become human
Part of the Furniture
Stoicism and the way it’s defined may sound like becoming inhumane and emotionless. But it’s really patience and understanding of the reality of living. Accepting things outside of your control allows you to focus on what you can actually do in the present, rather than getting worked up on fears and possibilities. I still cry easily from emotional clips, and i still get hurt and angry. But now when the tides sweep me off my feet, i don’t feel blindsided and stay petrified for too long.

sdkvnklweanl;
pronounsshe/her
1,533written posts
onlinecurrently
ditto become human
Part of the Furniture
If you ever read my post abd went “didnt tanz say this already” then you are right and you have been in pp too often

phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,355written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
onlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
it's been many days but i'm still thinking about the speaker that literally told one lady she shouldn't have a court anymore after she spilled her tea :skull:

write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW