Post a Random Thought

aliasAsu
pronounsshe/her/hers
431written posts
Asuearned bits
offlinecurrently
Asu
Asu Avatar
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
i swear i'm going to make the hobby jump from rping to jogging this time successfully. 

or i'm going to die at this 5K i haven't trained for in two weeks trying.
aliaslovelorn, ll, lorn
pronounsshe/her
129written posts
lovelornearned bits
offlinecurrently
lovelorn
lovelorn Avatar
you carry the aura of the stars

traveller Avatar
It's actually funny that you should raise that one, because it's generally agreed upon in the writing community to not be very good advice. I hesitate to call it terrible, but the modern advice in general is to use "said" and avoid too many alternates, as they call attention to the word itself over the dialogue, and frequently add nothing that you cannot achieve through story beats or dialogue style.
snip
This is, I think, where I want to tread a bit more delicately. Let's be upfront that I never insinuated that using longer or shorter sentences said anything about the quality of writing: introducing that argument feels like a strawman. Advising on the purpose and effect a long sentence has on a reader does not necessarily mean using them or not means it is emblematic of bad writing. In fact, most writers will use both long and short sentences, because they achieve different effects. Like, grab a book, any book, so long as it has an action scene. Compare the action scene to another one, and then particularly the length of sentences for action segments.

You'll note they almost always use shorter sentences than otherwise.

Do you not suppose there's a reason for that?

For the rest of your post, it kind of feels like you're not really directing it at me. My argument has never been to shove writing feedback down everyone's throats, so I don't get why you're so up in arms over that. I understand you feel writing is subjective and it'd be way too difficult to provide feedback, but there is a profession that deals with it entirely, and I wouldn't feel comfortable putting editors down as a bunch of people who do nothing but have opinions about writing.

first of all i want to apologize if you felt like i was "up in arms": really genuinely did not mean to give that impression and i sincerely thought we were having a good conversation here; i genuinely meant everything sincerely and didn't mean for anything to come off as an attack towards your character.

i wanted to clarify that i didn't mean to "put editors down as a bunch of people who do nothing but have opinions about writing" and that i don't feel that writing is 100% subjective and "it'd be way too difficult to provide feedback"; i said that people (referring to rpers specifically, as opposed to professionals in the field) might feel as if it's difficult to provide advice on writing and you asked why, so i provided some reasons on why people might feel that way.

i brought up the "said" bit just as an example of a common piece advice that's still peddled in writing workshops i've frequented irl and still populates blog posts on "good writing" in 2024. when i was newer to writing i might have given it to other rpers if asked because i thought it was "good advice" because i saw it so often. things like that have made me more hesitant to give advice in the past !

i think it's indubitably true that we can learn from each other and give advice to each other to grow as writers; that's not something i'm disputing, and i'm sorry if that's how it came across !
the eldritch truth
pronounsHe/Him
1,102written posts
Phantasmearned bits
offlinecurrently
Phantasm
Part of the Furniture
Phantasm Avatar
>try to put background-image underneath a 50% opacity linear gradient
>only goes on top and overwrites the gradient or doesn't show up at all

edit: (I'm stupid and forgot to put the 50% opacity :thumbsup:)
last edit on Apr 8, 2024 8:40:22 GMT by Phantasm
sdkvnklweanl;
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,533written posts
offlinecurrently
ditto become human
Part of the Furniture
ditto become human Avatar
maybe wallace being my fav was foreshadowing
When i was a kid, someone online and older asked if i would miss them and, without hesitation, i said no. When i sensed even with my emotional immaturity that they got hurt over it as they tried to cover it with a joking facade, i backtracked a bit, explained that i expect we would meet again…

20 years later and i dont think i just miss people. I greatly enjoy my times with them. I’ve had best moments of my life with a bunch of different friend groups. But i always feel like my heart is on the move. It never grows wounded when those times are gone

But i constantly miss my dogs. So i have adapted the trait of simply hating people and liking animals more lol

【 POKEMON EVOLUTION: TERRORS 】
(latest update: 8/28 wall of update)
sdkvnklweanl;
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,533written posts
offlinecurrently
ditto become human
Part of the Furniture
ditto become human Avatar
maybe wallace being my fav was foreshadowing
How is it mininize is so op when the ai does it but when i do it, larry hits me with 3 consecutive air slashes anyway

【 POKEMON EVOLUTION: TERRORS 】
(latest update: 8/28 wall of update)
aliasmori, manon, saki
pronounsshe / her
661written posts
𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚒earned bits
offlinecurrently
𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚒
Part of the Furniture
𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚒 Avatar
i know you see yourself as a fighter. well, i see myself as one, too.
profit of doom Avatar
How many different ways can I block #hazbinhotel before tiktok actually blocks it 😭 that and the sugar free chamoy lady

bringin' this back bc i keep blocking it and helluva boss on everything and somehow... some way...
it is still coming back and i'm tired of it 😭 get the fuck away from meeeeee
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW