aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,554written posts
offlinecurrently
dark balls of sight
Part of the Furniture
dark balls of sight Avatar
maybe wallace being my fav was foreshadowing
i didnt read what ya all said but rp friend isn’t a bad word. We’re all rp friends. Rp buddies. Collaborators of the anguished literary underworld. It’s cool.

We’re not friendsfriends and that doesn’t mean we’re not anything less special with each other. All connections are beautiful and valid

Besides if you were my friendfriend i’d call you a stinky ass bi-
last edit on Oct 4, 2024 4:40:26 GMT by dark balls of sight

【 POKEMON EVOLUTION: TERRORS 】
(latest update: 8/28 wall of update)
sdkvnklweanl;
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,554written posts
offlinecurrently
dark balls of sight
Part of the Furniture
dark balls of sight Avatar
maybe wallace being my fav was foreshadowing
also my real name is tannabelle and ya all are invited to my house i’ll cook you my food show you to my dog altar and we’ll read manga and also i’ll ask your favorite colorr

【 POKEMON EVOLUTION: TERRORS 】
(latest update: 8/28 wall of update)
eepy cosy
aliasmaestro, mae
pronounsthey/he
1,579written posts
M A E !earned bits
offlinecurrently
M A E !
Part of the Furniture
M A E ! Avatar
because even my darkness will shine brightly.
sort of late addition to the rp friends conversation but guys this is just online friends arent real friends discourse rehashed. some people make real friends, some people dont. its fine to be either or. personally, i literally live with someone i met through forum rp and its someone i trust with my literal life.

also, like. irl "friends" can be on the same exact spectrum. there's acquaintances/coworkers you wouldnt tell your address probably. theres people who are within a certain distance of you daily that you may spend a lot of time with but dont want to go watch a movie with them. thats ok. its also okay to make meaningful relationships through a shared hobby and- hey woah thats how how you make friends anyways! wow!
last edit on Oct 4, 2024 6:28:59 GMT by M A E !
aliasAsu
pronounsshe/her/hers
434written posts
Asuearned bits
offlinecurrently
Asu
Asu Avatar
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
No work of art is universally loved, but I think it's up to each person to determine what counts as a friend and what doesn't. In any hobby, it's natural to not be close to everyone, and that's totally okay! I've met quite a few people in the RP community throughout the years irl, and my experience has normally been it's like meeting with an old friend, but I know that's not everyone's experience.

In all, though it used to be something that would make me think to step back and evaluate relationships, at the same time, I don't put as many expectations into friendship either. I'll give you back what you give to me, and I'll communicate as much as you would give to me. RP is something that I see potential in making meaningful relationships in because it's been one of my longtime hobbies and I'd made close friends through it, but I wouldn't sweat it if I don't get close to people either.
pronounsAny
587written posts
offlinecurrently
Extra Dimensional Cat
Part of the Furniture
Extra Dimensional Cat Avatar
traveller Avatar
Wait, we were only talking about RP friends?
Dude, I was responding a lot and I don’t even know anymore.

I just didn’t like the fact I felt like the term “real friend” was suddenly being gatekept just because I found it easier to get invested in RP with friends rather than strangers. It wasn’t even about how you need to be friends to rp until someone spun it that direction.
250written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
traveller Avatar
Wait, we were only talking about RP friends?
Dude, I was responding a lot and I don’t even know anymore.

Well, anything I said was in general, I don't make distinctions between online and offline when it comes to getting close to people, because I think offline people show different faces all the time anyway. Online it's just a little easier to fudge some details, like claiming I'm actually super hot and handsome and fifteen years old when in reality I'm a wrinkled old 50+er.
"Someone's got to die today and you have got the final say. You? Or your crew?"
pronounsAny
587written posts
offlinecurrently
Extra Dimensional Cat
Part of the Furniture
At the end of the day it's fairly easy even to see if someone is a friend.

The base definition of a friend is literally "someone you trust and have affection towards". Depending on where you look, the affection part is either replaced with "enjoy the companionship or presence of" and sometimes all three of these are used. Seems pretty easy to me.

If you don't trust em, they are not your friend. Bam problem solved.

Close friends, not just "friends" are the ones who know my address, gift exchange, what color my glasses are exc. They are the ones that feel like a found family, not baseline friends. And before anyone wants to insinuate that is also "emotionally intrusive" (eyeroll) Yeah, I ask if the close friend is okay with getting a gift since some people dont like getting them. Normal friends do not. I do not conflate the two.

Time also doesn't matter for anyone who grandstands with knowing people for over four years over a year or two. I've known people for ten and felt no sense of attachment. There's no magic time frame where an angel descends from the heavens and hands you a "real" friend certificate. You either click or you don't. 

Ironically two thirds of my friends referred to me as their friend first, and all but one of my close friends admitted they felt close to me first as well. I'm actually quite hesitant to call someone my friend unless I am confident that is the case.
last edit on Oct 4, 2024 8:55:02 GMT by Extra Dimensional Cat
internally screaming
pronounsshe/her
1,828written posts
Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
tbh I have no idea how we got here considering I was just saying, 'hey respect people's boundaries, if you're not that familiar with them, don't make group dm's with just random people. I was saying it could apply with people getting a bit too close to you in rp that you don't like. No grandstanding or anything, I require time gates to unlock my friendship card because then I know you're too deep in the swamp with me. So again, I don't really know why this developed to this degree when I thought respecting people's boundaries wasn't a hot take. What other people do is none of my business or how they conduct themselves, I'm just a gremlin granny on the internet and I see no need to just bust through people's boundaries good ("let's be friends!") or bad ("Have I ever told you you're mature for your age").

Again, I didn't know that was a hot take, lol. I apologize coming in with fire I didn't know I had.

btw, I did just general replies cause I'm very confused on the take that you couldn't sort your relationships in boxes and it was negative towards those who want to be friends with everyone. I don't put my husband (a rp friend from forever ago) in the same box as my mother (who has possibly or will possibly let the cats eat my eyeballs when I die). I would be very creeped out if someone started to 'mom' me on the internet. But again, I didn't know it would be something so strange as a boundary, lmao.

last edit on Oct 4, 2024 9:00:03 GMT by Neko
pronounsAny
587written posts
offlinecurrently
Extra Dimensional Cat
Part of the Furniture
If they're acting too familiar for comfort then just...idk...tell them no? In order for there to be a boundary it...kind of has to be stated. It felt more like you're not allowed to assume you are friends with someone unless you meet arbitrary requirements. Probably because full context was not given.

And I really don't have boxes really beyond are you a person I dislike, person that exists that I know, a friend, or a close friend. I don't filter them by hobby. Doing so is what confuses me. To me it feels like unnecessary addition of labels, that's it
internally screaming
pronounsshe/her
1,828written posts
Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
I do state my boundary! I'm quite up front with it. I said "hey I'm uncomfortable with this type of reaching out when I don't know you." and I move on. What people call their friend is no deal at all to me. All I was bringing up is consider it! You can consider if a person is friendly or not. They might be fun online briefly but an absolute nightmare in dm's. That's okay to have that boundary.

And it's easy! My developmental disorder makes categories that are very arbitrary. I'm editing this to shorten it, but basically, my brain is different than yours and it's okay. I'm not sure why certain things have been said in your posts, but I do plead that the point was literally, and I'm saying this as flatly as possible. If you can avoid triggers in posts by thinking and reading, you might be able to avoid a sticky situation by not making sure you're both cool with the decision. Something to take in consideration.

If I could choose I would be quite normal about things. I am not. But I am fun. As long as you are not my doctors because then I will fight you.

thanks for coming to my ted talk

last edit on Oct 4, 2024 9:43:02 GMT by Neko
pronounsAny
587written posts
offlinecurrently
Extra Dimensional Cat
Part of the Furniture
My bad then as I wouldn't have started an argument had I not misunderstood. *insert shrug emoji*

Ironically I also understand a bit (from an opposite perspective) as my own disorders cause me to be rather black and white and do the opposite of over labeling and simplify them instead. I too, wish I could be more normal since most people appear to be in the middle.
internally screaming
pronounsshe/her
1,828written posts
Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
no harm no foul. Like y'all have to understand some of the wild dm's I get. I have helped someone with coding and they wanted to know where I live so they could hug me. One person told me they were going to kill a forum user. Discord is wild and I am just pleading that people think about others.

Preferably not dm me and tell me that you're jealous of my husband and they would cure my heart problems.

I sound extreme because I have seen things.

write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW