Nekoearned bits
onlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
Jenesis Avatar
I also draw a distinction between "rp friends" and "friends"

like yes I will have multi hour conversations with you where we collectively sob over our ocs' trauma that I've literally never told anyone else, but if I wouldn't tell you my real name or invite you to my house (and wouldn't expect the same from you), can we really call ourselves friends?

I wouldn't consider 'friends come over to your house' because I hate people in my hovel. It's mine, and if I want to play Darude Sandstorm for 11 hours in the dark, I can. I very much draw the line of writing with people means we're friends. I've had bad experiences, plenty of people have had issues with others, but in the end, you can only manage you. I had multiple people get way too parasocial with me and I had to cut them off. It's been a debate if it's 'really that bad' but then I realize, yes, yes it is. They expect to be more than a face I'm friendly or even super friendly with online and I would care about in passing.

So I guess, if someone told me a month after writing with them that they are my 'friend' and I gave no opening for this, I don't really care what that reasoning is, I probably would be uncomfortable. This is also how people view the world differently through semantics, language, and society. Like in some cultures, coworker friends are vastly different then friends. Some people don't make the distinction. Some people consider coworker friends as close friends, while I would consider them 'misery friends' so to speak, such as we wouldn't be friends outside of work, but if they throw the punch at my boss I will absolutely cover for them.

So I think this is a very unique symptom of the internet really. For me, these boundaries and semantics are a very healthy line in the sand. For others, they have plenty of love to give. I think my main point when I had mentioned it was "not everyone has to have the same barrier of entry regarding friends and you should respect that" and mentioning it as my random thought because it's either that or me talking about how I now have two kittens and I love them but if they keep scaring me in the shower I'm going to yank them into it. Of course the two kittens I have managed to get I named after Law and Order lawyers but they're two of the dumbest cats I've had the pleasure of adopting.
250written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
Making friends was easier in kindergarten, cos you'd just ask someone if they wanted to be friends and if they said yes? Then you're friends.

I don't have any friends because no one has passed my threshold of what I consider a close enough relationship to be "friends" in (my) truest sense of the word. I'll still call people my friend because I know it hurts their feelings if I call them a close acquaintance instead.

Words are grenades, it's good to remember to not accidentally pull the pin.
"Someone's got to die today and you have got the final say. You? Or your crew?"
pronounshe/him
908written posts
Desmond Milesearned bits
offlinecurrently
Desmond Miles
Part of the Furniture
Desmond Miles Avatar
we will have peace at any cost
traveller Avatar
Making friends was easier in kindergarten, cos you'd just ask someone if they wanted to be friends and if they said yes? Then you're friends.

this doesnt further the conversation whatsoever, BUT in 5th grade, i was sat next to this boy in class who asked me if i liked pokemon. i wholeheartedly said yes i did! and he replied great, let's be friends!

last year, i was a groomsmen in his wedding. friendship is eternal, esp when pokemon is involved lol
250written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
Desmond Miles Avatar
traveller Avatar

this doesnt further the conversation whatsoever, BUT in 5th grade, i was sat next to this boy in class who asked me if i liked pokemon. i wholeheartedly said yes i did! and he replied great, let's be friends!

last year, i was a groomsmen in his wedding. friendship is eternal, esp when pokemon is involved lol
I had a boy ask if I wanted to be friends, I said no because it was his first day in school and I didn't know him. He relentlessly bullied me for the thirteen years after that.

RIP

EDIT: Should add, I get on well with him these days. 
last edit on Oct 3, 2024 22:39:09 GMT by traveller
"Someone's got to die today and you have got the final say. You? Or your crew?"
aliaspor, sef, jdawg
pronounsshe | her
551written posts
porsefearned bits
offlinecurrently
porsef
Part of the Furniture
porsef Avatar
chichi wo moge
how do i know if im getting good at singing if... my own ears are unreliable :'(
i sound decent to myself and then the moment i record myself to see my progress im like BROTHER EUGH
last edit on Oct 4, 2024 0:16:00 GMT by porsef
pronounsAny
587written posts
offlinecurrently
Extra Dimensional Cat
Part of the Furniture
Extra Dimensional Cat Avatar
It's all fine and dandy if yall don't have people you rp with that become friends. Happens to me too. But I'm also not gonna go around telling the ones that became actual friends "sorry you're not a real friend you're a rp friend only" just because Pixel said so lol.

Is a rp partner even just a "rp partner" after yall have known each other for almost a year and possibly years at that point? If you exchange gifts for birthdays and holidays? If you talk or voice chat almost every day? If you have supported each other through low points? If you now do things beyond rp and now play games together, voice chat hang-outs, exc?

Idk man seems like "real" friends to me at that point. Or does it not count unless we meet at a bar or something?

Maybe it's as simple as a terminology difference. I don't do rp friends, game friends, exc as separation. There are people I rp with but I don't refer to them as an rp friend. They aren't a friend at all under any sort of label until they are a friend period. Everyone else goes into the umbrella of "person I know". I dont have a million and one categories for people. 

I also may be being a bit too literal but isn't parasocial the phrase used for like online personalities / celebs and thinking that person knows you exist and is your friend even tho they never communicate except for like...superchat responses? I personally think that labeling people who want to be your friend with the term parasocial is watering down the severity of what it means. Especially when a quick boundary of "alright Janet you don't know me like that" would usually clear that up unless you're dealing with a stalker or something.
last edit on Oct 4, 2024 1:53:53 GMT by Extra Dimensional Cat
aliaspriestess shizuka
pronounsshe/her
78written posts
shizukaearned bits
offlinecurrently
shizuka
shizuka Avatar
good luck, babe <3

the modern day 1st world equivalent of the old joke "don't frown so much or your face might get stuck that way" is "don't sit weird or a cat will come fall asleep on your lap and you'll be stuck in that pose for the next 3 hours"

i never learn my lesson!! and my hips hurt SO bad
but she's twitching now, dreaming about hunting toys and house flies ToT <33
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,368written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
traveller Avatar
I'll still call people my friend because I know it hurts their feelings if I call them a close acquaintance instead.

Words are grenades, it's good to remember to not accidentally pull the pin.

i don't really want to wade into the midst of the whole "are/should rp partners be friends" discourse but. i really really wanted to pull this quote out and highlight it because i think it's really important for people to remember.

you don't have to actually consider someone - online or offline - a close friend, but sometimes, calling them a friend is going to be an important kindness in a world filled with more than enough cruelty to break all of us if we let it

stultifera navis
aliasnines
pronounsshe/her
570written posts
ninelieearned bits
offlinecurrently
ninelie
Part of the Furniture
ninelie Avatar
VOLITION [Medium: Success]
TIL why my cat still smells so nice (you know that nice kitty smell in their coats?) even though his breath is stanky ass, is because the enzymes in cat saliva neutralizes odors, making them more effective at hunting.

BRB going to huff my cat again.

hover + icon by 旳---
internally screaming
pronounsshe/her
1,828written posts
Nekoearned bits
onlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
I don't think disagreement on how people sort relationships is discourse, lol. I think people are disagreeing on how they sort friends/friendly relationships. Also "parasocial" just means a relationship with someone you personally don't know or a character. They don't even have to be real, you can be parasocial with a book character. Most people you know, in passing, only know facets of your character. So this could certainly be "have a relationship with someone you don't know" as if you don't know a lot of facets, then you can learn them, but if you only end up learning one side, then no you don't know the person that well. The way I am using this specific word is to say I don't share a lot of myself online so a lot of people don't know me all that well.

Again, I was pointing out how other people do not have to accept anything done. Again, how other people use the word friend is very much a social, linguistic, semantic, and etc - to most people. People are into calling each other friend and think people like me are monsters or uncaring. I don't care what they think? I'm not going to go be mean to someone but I'm also not going to sit here and pretend otherwise. I play games with plenty of random people, I watch tv, say happy birthday, cause that's the basic requirement for me to be friendly - like I would in a office, or whatever. However, I don't think I'm going to be showing them my blood test results or letting them borrow money. Voice chats and games do not a friend make, they're starting points for a friend. Just like - a bit derogatory in this context - "rp friends" are more than people who just took my want ad. They could be someone on three or four sites, they could be there for two or three years, idk, but yes, I would consider having a boundary to be natural and healthy. Some people have a boundary not to trauma dump. Is okay if they're "friends"? No.

I think it's funny that people do so and like I said as this didn't have to do with rp in the first place and it was actually a gaming thing where someone added me like I was their friend, I was not. Hence, I had thought it was a good conversation stater to remind that you and I are different and respecting people's boundaries is good and swell~ If you feel the need to make deep connections with people, I hope people make deep connections for you so you can be happy! I don't need to wrap myself around anyone to have emotional connections that support me, instead for me, we figure out each other and then slowly become friends. Curate your own friends, your experience, and your life how you see fit, as long as you respect others to do so!

pronounsAny
587written posts
offlinecurrently
Extra Dimensional Cat
Part of the Furniture
Extra Dimensional Cat Avatar
I've never heard parasocial used in a context for a fictional character, I've mainly heard that labelled as delusions of various sorts rather than parasocial, but if that is an actual meaning, cool. I've mainly heard it used for people who thought they were dating Jason Derulo as an example when they never met. Or thought they were some insert name here streamer's bestie.

I also don't randomly call people friends unless I know they feel the same. I'm...not weird like that lol. It, like any real relationship, has to be mutual.

As it stands I don't have a lot of friends and while my examples may be picked apart as the "start of a friendship" it is the opposite for me. I will not voice chat with strangers or people I do not consider friends as I would be far too uncomfortable. I will not game with people that are not my friends though I may discuss games if they have a similar interest. But it's more like 'weather talk" about the plot, what characters you like, exc. I certainly don't play with or add randos.

Nobody has to think like me, so the very fact that you have point out that other people don't have to think the same is silly. I from the first post even said it was a "me thing" and I mainly just don't understand all the labels that people use because to me it's either "they are a friend, or they are not a friend." Simple and clean-cut. So people may have all the people they know all sorted into "work friend", "rp friend" "game friend" exc, but I can't.

So I guess arguing what a friend is or isn't inherently doesn't have a point anymore since it seems everyone has a different definition on what that even is.

80% of the people I know don't even make it to "friend" stage. They're just...people I know from whatever things I do at the moment.
last edit on Oct 4, 2024 3:16:24 GMT by Extra Dimensional Cat
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW