796written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
The Law Avatar
illidan main Avatar
if i can give just a bit of advice to people just starting a site: scope. scope. scope.

if the site is too big ICly for your starting memberbase, your startup site will probably fail. I know personally the seduction of having a million ideas and locations and a bunch of IC drama, but scope is a huge reason behind a site's success or failure.

That pretty much sums up the rise and fall of Hihou in a nutshell. My friend and I were regular players on Shin Hyakuji High School back then, and the former said, "What if we borrow Hyakuji High's "anything-goes" premise, but expand upon it x100?" It was a neat idea on paper, but in practice what we ended up with was one hell of an overdesigned setting with overly bloated rules filled with unnecessary legalese, templates for just about every possible anime archetype under the sun (that we don't even know will even see any RP action to begin with), and too many IC location subforums.

It's not helped that I wasn't really into this project to begin with, and was only roped in because I didn't wanna disappoint my friend. (I.e. I knew deep in my gut this was never gonna catch on, but I didn't have the heart back then to outright say "no" to him) To nobody's surprise, the site failed to draw in anybody besides the two of us and a couple of RP partners we made on Hyakuji. Turns out, the sheer open-endedness (as I said earlier, it aspires to be what Hyakuji was but "do it bigger") turned out to be quite an audience-alienating premise in and of itself.

Hihou pretty much taught me 2 lessons. 1) How not to make and run a site, and 2) never to be a people-pleaser, I.e. Sometimes, you just have to say "no", even to your closest friends.
and like here's the thing, it's absolutely fine to have a ton of IC locations. but you have to BUILD to it over time. You can always add more, you can always build up, but it's important to start small and go there later.

I had this issue with Ars Arcanum and I should have probably just started with Caerni and Baalgarde if I had planned on keeping it public.

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
sdkvnklweanl;
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,562written posts
offlinecurrently
dark balls of sight
Part of the Furniture
dark balls of sight Avatar
maybe wallace being my fav was foreshadowing
It is 2am and highlight of my day/night is my recovering dog finally pooping after 24+ hours

Bc now he has no poop in him and he can sleep better

【 POKEMON EVOLUTION: TERRORS 】
(latest update: 8/28 wall of update)
sdkvnklweanl;
pronounsshe/her
1,562written posts
offlinecurrently
dark balls of sight
Part of the Furniture
My dog is touching grass for the first time in a week

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
It sounds like we're saying the same thing: backstories are supposed to help plotting and connections.

If that's still your experience, I'm happy for you, but please understand it has absolutely not been for me and it was hurtful to hear that I must secretly hate reading or something for talking about my experiences with it. I can empathize you have probably met people who did dismiss your character's profiles, though; I know how much that sucks.

I still don't feel heard — I agree with you about the fraud thing, for example — but instead I'll just say that I continue to respect your efforts for this board and enjoy your participation. I laugh at your Genshin posts, even if I don't always remember to go back and like them.
sdkvnklweanl;
pronounsshe/her
1,562written posts
offlinecurrently
dark balls of sight
Part of the Furniture

me fr fr

not counting my rapidfire i just want more things going on
last edit on Oct 6, 2023 15:20:09 GMT by dark balls of sight

pronounshe/him
796written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
when u want to write a character and ur writing partner that is writing with the character is busy, and you know you're not gonna be able to play this character literally anywhere else because his backstory is giga-specific and you don't really wanna compromise on any element of his character.
last edit on Oct 6, 2023 15:30:51 GMT by illidan main

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW