aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,539written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
So this was inspired by a post in another thread, and I must preface this with the fact that I've never RPed on a Fate site, but I've wondered for a long time how you make a Fate Grail War work on an RP site, and the friends I've had who did RP Fate pretty universally told me "you don't", which. Foreboding.

But as someone who has, once upon a time, RPed Soul Eater, another combat-heavy series with a heavy focus on pairs where one person uses the other to fight, I feel like I can pretty confidently say... that I have absolutely no confidence in pretty much any RP that requires pair ups for characters to work. Sure, you'll have friends who join up together and have their pre-plotted master/servant or meister/weapon or what have you pairs, and that's fine and dandy; you'll eve get your strangers-joined-together-in-friendship who fill the missing role for each other, and that's great; but sooooo many characters will be partnerless, in a setting that you really can't afford to be if you want to partake, and I can't imagine there's any real way to circumvent that, beyond each "character" really just being both halves of a pair in one (such as playing the master and servant on the same account, written by the same person). But that also takes out some of the appeal for RPing in those settings, right? Like, the master/servant dynamic, or meister/weapon dynamic, or whatever other dynamic is hypothetically the strongest relationship either half will have to another person, because of the forced proximity and (at least partial) mutual goals.

Pair-up RPs sound so appealing to me on paper because it's a 'guarantee' you'll have at least one person with whom your character gets awesome setting-supported plots with, but, like. Actually thinking about how to make them so is just headache inducing. Have there been places in the past that have made this work? Are there potential ways to approach such an RP that we haven't really seen that might be promising for future RPs? Someone tell me there's hope -
pronounsshe/they
14written posts
ghostfinchearned bits
offlinecurrently
ghostfinch
ghostfinch Avatar
i like partner stuff but i think people have unreliable schedules just because life is so chaotic, so it's way too hard to guarantee momentum (can it ever be guaranteed?) even if it's someone you've written with forever who you trust to keep muse over long periods. :(

that said, i'm super partial to trios if you run plots that can be focused on 1x1s for a period of time when one person's got low/no availability. i just remember running squads in naruto and it was so so so hard to get three other people to keep up with it for missions. but that's rp. i think the core of the problem is, when writing, you've got to always keep doors open so you can pivot without losing a core of the plot, but with partner-centric stuff (especially soul eater, my beloved), that's hard to do w/o maybe having a system of npcs or academy 'staff' that can plop into a fight.
236written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
ditto become human Avatar
i dont think i can trust someone who’s never had a redemption arc. Like surely everyone’s done something that deserves a redemption arc
Not me, I'm immaculate and perfect.
"Someone's got to die today and you have got the final say. You? Or your crew?"
34written posts
henryearned bits
offlinecurrently
henry
henry Avatar
Don’t talk to me
After roughly three months filled with reading + making art (as well as writing alone), I'm roleplaying again with an old friend and noticed that I'm really happy with the way I approach writing and the work I'm putting out. It feels like when I spent several months drawing nothing but hands and can now produce a gesture for a hand study in about 30 seconds. Sometimes when you're doing that practicing and only making subpar work, it feels like you're not improving or changing anything, until one day you're like...oh, all that practicing really paid off.

I guess it's true! Reading regularly and extensively is so important for writing, and I guess there's no way around it. Even if I get in bed late I'm still trying to put in about 0.5 to 1 chapter a day for whatever book I have on my e-reader (usually stylistically or conceptually related to things I want to write about) and slowly making progress. Really happy with how far I've come and excited to see where this art journey takes me next.
the chalk prince
aliasyuan
pronounsthey / them
976written posts
yuanearned bits
offlinecurrently
yuan
Part of the Furniture
yuan Avatar
existential execution is just a fluke in evolution.
got my ultrasound results back and the doctor said i needed to see a nephrologist as soon as i possibly could. she says she put in a referral and that they would call me. 2 weeks later i have not received a call from the nephrology office, so i call them and ask about it. they say they never got the referral so they had to call my doctor to get one. they call me back and tell me the closest appointment is mid-november. i'm so done man!
internally screaming
pronounsshe/her
1,821written posts
Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
yuan Avatar
got my ultrasound results back and the doctor said i needed to see a nephrologist as soon as i possibly could. she says she put in a referral and that they would call me. 2 weeks later i have not received a call from the nephrology office, so i call them and ask about it. they say they never got the referral so they had to call my doctor to get one. they call me back and tell me the closest appointment is mid-november. i'm so done man!

I've been having this same problem. Multiple offices are claiming they never got stuff, sometimes they are downright rude and unhelpful (I had one woman tell me I couldn't be allergic to this medicine I've been allergic to for over 20 years but okay), and some act like you need to do everything for them because 'you're not a patient yet' - and s*** like that. Honestly out of the four past new doctors, two were unhelpful, one I wished I was there to go over the desk with a cane and only ONE had been good. Though mood on the nephrologist. The closest appt times my area has isn't until like Feb and my primary is foaming at the mouth. You'll get there and hopefully the appointment will go well!

In other news I finally got into cardio and everyone was amazingly nice and after fighting doctors and their offices for two months it's been somewhat nice. The assistant though was a riot.

"Oh we want our patients to be happy and healthy!"
"I'm clinically depressed my dude and my face just stays like this."
- without missing a beat or his extremely chipper attitude, "me too!"

The person in there with me cause I had to be defended by an old woman twice my age, was about to cry into her hands. At least I can say my doctors visits are eventful with her. The last friday I was kidnapped I managed to be in the drugstore when I raised my voice for all of .3 seconds and that summoned lightning to blow up the transformer and I thought a grenade went off. That's the second time that's happened too. Just raise my voice and something blows up from lightning. Third time if we count the fact I've been struck by lightning.
sdkvnklweanl;
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,533written posts
offlinecurrently
ditto become human
Part of the Furniture
maybe wallace being my fav was foreshadowing
love new slangs. No more calling originshipping as autism-fueled special interest *+ listener. Now it’s yapper x listener. Perfectly balanced words

【 POKEMON EVOLUTION: TERRORS 】
(latest update: 8/28 wall of update)
sdkvnklweanl;
pronounsshe/her
1,533written posts
offlinecurrently
ditto become human
Part of the Furniture

i guess it’s time to read that fmab fanfic i found six months ago
last edit on Aug 17, 2024 15:26:20 GMT by ditto become human

sdkvnklweanl;
pronounsshe/her
1,533written posts
offlinecurrently
ditto become human
Part of the Furniture
growing up i’ve always been drawn/fascinated to non-gender conforming ideas so i can now proudly declare i’m into daddy waifus

aliasray
pronounshe/him
97written posts
scaramoucheearned bits
offlinecurrently
scaramouche
scaramouche Avatar
one spark baby!
pharaoh leap Avatar
So this was inspired by a post in another thread, and I must preface this with the fact that I've never RPed on a Fate site, but I've wondered for a long time how you make a Fate Grail War work on an RP site, and the friends I've had who did RP Fate pretty universally told me "you don't", which. Foreboding.

But as someone who has, once upon a time, RPed Soul Eater, another combat-heavy series with a heavy focus on pairs where one person uses the other to fight, I feel like I can pretty confidently say... that I have absolutely no confidence in pretty much any RP that requires pair ups for characters to work. Sure, you'll have friends who join up together and have their pre-plotted master/servant or meister/weapon or what have you pairs, and that's fine and dandy; you'll eve get your strangers-joined-together-in-friendship who fill the missing role for each other, and that's great; but sooooo many characters will be partnerless, in a setting that you really can't afford to be if you want to partake, and I can't imagine there's any real way to circumvent that, beyond each "character" really just being both halves of a pair in one (such as playing the master and servant on the same account, written by the same person). But that also takes out some of the appeal for RPing in those settings, right? Like, the master/servant dynamic, or meister/weapon dynamic, or whatever other dynamic is hypothetically the strongest relationship either half will have to another person, because of the forced proximity and (at least partial) mutual goals.

Pair-up RPs sound so appealing to me on paper because it's a 'guarantee' you'll have at least one person with whom your character gets awesome setting-supported plots with, but, like. Actually thinking about how to make them so is just headache inducing. Have there been places in the past that have made this work? Are there potential ways to approach such an RP that we haven't really seen that might be promising for future RPs? Someone tell me there's hope -

Sadly I don’t think so. I wanted to have a soulmate aspect in one of my rps and ended up dropping it. I end up with other majority of my plots filled by old friends I luckily got back or I wouldn’t have p much all my characters in plots. I try requests and want ads but stuff always happens. But I will keep trying. My old friends used to be new once too.
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW