What are you reading?

932written posts
gimmickearned bits
offlinecurrently
gimmick
Part of the Furniture
gimmick Avatar
All birds and men are sure to die but songs may live forever
Share what books you’re in the middle of. Can also double as a thread for sharing any turns of phrase or passages that you recently came across and liked.

I’ll start:

The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu

“Is it possible the relationship between humanity and evil is similar to the relationship between the ocean and an iceberg floating on its surface? Both the ocean and the iceberg are made of the same material. That the iceberg seems separate is only because it is in a different form. In reality, it is but a part of the vast ocean.”

”...remained in the darkness of his vision, looking like mercury flowing against a black swan’s feathers.”
last edit on Dec 28, 2019 5:33:29 GMT by gimmick
pronounshe/him
503written posts
shivearned bits
offlinecurrently
shiv
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
shiv Avatar
WTB> PRIMOGEMS
love love love this thread idea, gimmick. currently reading a lot of poetry, actually.

THIS MIGHT HAVE MEANT FIRE by C.T. Salazar

“I could say surrender until it sounds like a song/or salve. I could hold your love in my mouth/and make pearls of it.”

- excerpt from "YOU CALLED ME CASTAWAY AND I CALLED YOU"

last edit on Dec 28, 2019 6:52:17 GMT by shiv
pronounsshe / her
398written posts
Ven ☆earned bits
offlinecurrently
Ven ☆
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
Ven ☆ Avatar
got a secret, can you keep it?
MY MOM GOT THE MISSING ONE I NEEDED FOR MY COLLECTION FOR CHRISTMAS, I CAN FINALLY START READING THIS!!!

The Inferno by Dante Alighieri, verse translation by Allen Mandelbaum

Currently at Canto III (OG Italian first, then English underneath):

«Per me si va ne la città dolente,
per me si va ne l’etterno dolore,
per me si va tra la perduta gente.
Giustizia mosse il mio alto fattore;
fecemi la divina podestate,
la somma sapïenza e ’l primo amore.

Dinanzi a me non fuor cose create
se non etterne, e io etterno duro.
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch’intrate’.»

"Through me the way into the suffering city;
Through me the way to the eternal pain;
Through me the way that runs among the lost.
Justice urged on my high Artificier;
My Maker was divine authority,
The highest Wisdom, and the primal Love.

Before me nothing but eternal things
were made, and I endure eternally.
Abandon every hope, who enter here."
last edit on Dec 30, 2019 11:17:44 GMT by Ven ☆

take it easy.
aliascae
pronounsshe/her
534written posts
caeearned bits
offlinecurrently
cae
Part of the Furniture
cae Avatar
let's live our lives heroically / let's live our lives with style
'the crying of lot 49' by thomas pynchon

Oedipa stood in the living room, stared at by the greenish dead eye of the TV tube, spoke the name of God, tried to feel as drunk as possible. But this did not work.
spoiler bc it's lo~ng

That night the lawyer Metzger showed up. He turned out to be so good-looking that Oedipa thought at first They, somebody up there, were putting her on. It had to be an actor. He stood at her door, behind him the oblong pool shimmering silent in a mild diffusion of light from the nighttime sky, saying, "Mrs Maas," like a reproach. His enormous eyes, lambent, extravagantly lashed, smiled out at her wickedly; she looked around him for reflectors, microphones, camera cabling, but there was only himself and a debonair bottle of French Beaujolais, which he claimed to've smuggled last year into California, this rollicking lawbreaker, past the frontier guards.

last edit on Jan 8, 2020 6:52:10 GMT by cae
107written posts
lyreearned bits
offlinecurrently
lyre
lyre Avatar
i rarely read actual novels (which i want to change tbh), and the last one i DID read was janet fitch's white oleander. it was beautifully written but i unfortunately don't have the book with me to leave a quote.

recently i have also been skimming works by various poets. there's something about richard siken's texts that always feels so precise and visceral to me <3

839written posts
SPIRELEearned bits
offlinecurrently
SPIRELE
Part of the Furniture
SPIRELE Avatar
Yesterday me friend showed me this c00l b00k called d withcer. Never heard of it b4 but i think irs a hiddrn gem. The way it read id like alice n wonderland if i was alice n if disney was c00l n not 4 babies.

Unlike lyre i bought my b00k so here r some of my favorite quotes.

"HMMMmmmm."
"Fuck."
"Destiny churns, forever pasteurizing until fate becomes smooth, like butter - but never margarine - thats the cheap stuff n jeralt aint killin bich for coin n cheap stuff."
"He grunted in response. Not moody but all cool like. Much cooler than guts from beserker. How cool is the name the white wolfy???? What about butcher of blaziken??? Bad ass dide!"
"TOSS A COIN 2 UR WIT CH ER O VALLEY O PLENTTTTTTTYYYYYY"
839written posts
SPIRELEearned bits
offlinecurrently
SPIRELE
Part of the Furniture
SPIRELE Avatar
so.... APPARENTLY watching a b00k on netflix does not count as reading the book... even tho they r the same ting?! like really? wtf. u telling me i didn't read harry potter cuz i don't wanna read 20394208 pages when i could just sit down n watch 15 hours of disney channel?

ok.

i wood like 2 cum out n apologize 2 the public n those i may hav misinformed. dis was not my intention n i meant no harm. i hope i did not delude n e 1 to read the actual b00k b cuz i hav no concrete opinion on the material... since watching it on netflex don't count.

now u 2 better leav eme tf alone before i have u looking like the last Manga Lordian.

thx 4 watching the disney channel . u can subscribe to oar new online platform 2 watch all the classic disney shows no 1 gifs 2 fks about for the low low price of too much a month :)

last edit on Jan 8, 2020 16:56:41 GMT by SPIRELE
932written posts
gimmickearned bits
offlinecurrently
gimmick
Part of the Furniture
gimmick Avatar
All birds and men are sure to die but songs may live forever
Halfway through The Testaments by Margaret Atwood, some favorites thus far:
“I’ve become swollen with power, true, but also nebulous with it. I am everywhere and nowhere: even in the minds of Commanders I cast an unsettling shadow. How to shrink back to my normal size, the size of an ordinary woman?”

”You don’t believe the sky is falling until a chunk of it falls on you.”

“What good is it to throw yourself in front of a steamroller out of moral principles and then be crushed flat like a sock emptied of its foot? Better to fade into the crowd. Better to hurl rocks than to have them hurled at you. Or better for your chances of staying alive. They knew that too well, the architects of Gilead. Their kind has always known that.”

“‘Nobody is any authority on the fucks other people give.’”
last edit on Jan 16, 2020 4:18:37 GMT by gimmick
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,502written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
onlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
I bought a bunch of books online, included in which is Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves. I've only got as far as the introductory passage, so instead of leaving a nice quote, I'll leave y'all with some screenshots of some of the wildest book formatting you'll ever see:

A big black box.
Visual descriptor of my brain trying to put words into sentences.
Tilt your head, then rotate the book.
P.
'Love's love in her blackest season'.

I've also gotten my hands on the last Robots book by Issac Asimov, and while I haven't started on that book itself, I would 10/10 recommend that entire series, it's. GOOD. Human and robot buddy cop detectives in SPACE with some pretty gay subtext what's NOT to love?
pronounsany pronouns
270written posts
forteearned bits
offlinecurrently
forte
forte Avatar
pharaoh leap Avatar
I bought a bunch of books online, included in which is Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves. I've only got as far as the introductory passage, so instead of leaving a nice quote, I'll leave y'all with some screenshots of some of the wildest book formatting you'll ever see:

A big black box.
Visual descriptor of my brain trying to put words into sentences.
Tilt your head, then rotate the book.
P.
'Love's love in her blackest season'.

I've also gotten my hands on the last Robots book by Issac Asimov, and while I haven't started on that book itself, I would 10/10 recommend that entire series, it's. GOOD. Human and robot buddy cop detectives in SPACE with some pretty gay subtext what's NOT to love?

Yasss! I literally just started reading that book and I ADORE the vibe! If you're at all interested, we should read it at the same pace and do a pseudo bookclub thing... mostly because I'm horrible when it comes to just... forgetting about where I am in books and accidentally never finishing them.
105written posts
BONNIBELearned bits
offlinecurrently
BONNIBEL
BONNIBEL Avatar
just here to say house of leaves is a great book .... 
and its also a big insp for a lot of the top slenderverse web series out there
so if you like the vibe of the book and like watching horror-ish first person shows/ videos
i would suggest checking either explained videos of some web series or just bingeing it yourself
if you want suggestions i can give some
cause i've been in this hell for years lul
k bye
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,502written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
onlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
forte Avatar
Yasss! I literally just started reading that book and I ADORE the vibe! If you're at all interested, we should read it at the same pace and do a pseudo bookclub thing... mostly because I'm horrible when it comes to just... forgetting about where I am in books and accidentally never finishing them.

I'd love to do something like that if you're down for it! I'm, like, forty pages into The Navidson Record right now would've binged more tonight, but I'm literally too tired to read anything with a reading level over second grade right now, but I'm chill with slowing down or catching up as necessary. Hit me up on Discord (Pharaoh Leap#2834) sometime. <3

BONNIBEL Avatar
just here to say house of leaves is a great book .... 
and its also a big insp for a lot of the top slenderverse web series out there
so if you like the vibe of the book and like watching horror-ish first person shows/ videos
i would suggest checking either explained videos of some web series or just bingeing it yourself
if you want suggestions i can give some
cause i've been in this hell for years lul
k bye

I am down to be SPOOKED. I dunno what actually possessed me to do this, since I've never watched/played/read/whatevered anything about Slenderman before, but I watched a video about kind of the rise and the fall of his popularity which talked about some of those web series, and honestly, they looked pretty dang cool? Absolutely hit me up with those recommendations, I'm READY. No I'm not.

To stay on topic, uuuuuuuuh, I read more manga than I do actual novels, so in addition to House of Leaves, I'm catching up The Case Study of Vanitas, some Madoka Magica spin-offs (been sitting on that last volume of Tart in particular for a while), and the last couple volumes of Forbidden Scrollery (the Touhou manga). All good reads, with exceptional artwork in the case of Case Study/Scrollery. ToTb
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW