aliaslua
pronounsthey / them
974written posts
citrinitasearned bits
offlinecurrently
citrinitas
Part of the Furniture
citrinitas Avatar
existential execution is just a fluke in evolution.
spent a good hour or so of my life on a code just to realize i dont want to finish it. (throws phone at the ground and jumps on skateboard, snapping it in half)

edit: it's not worth crying over that's why im not finishing it
last edit on Aug 13, 2022 7:24:38 GMT by citrinitas
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,539written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
Me: *thinks three-plus-colored gradients are kind of ugly, actually*
Also me: *playing around with making a skin based around a three-tiered gradient, anyway*

I wonder why I'm not satisfied with this???? HMMMMMMMM.
aliasAcrylic
pronounsThey/Them
38written posts
tik☆earned bits
offlinecurrently
tik☆
tik☆ Avatar
This simulation is broken, could I get loaded into a new one?
sleepy Avatar
the amount of times i've spent staring at a site skin debating whether to DM the site coder about a feature they implemented only to end up brute forcing my own method because i'm too chickenshit
One million times this, but doing that has kind of taught me a lot, so that's a plus?
The Decline
frog on the floor
pronounsany
1,539written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
Once again torn between 'screen looks empty if I don't make the skin full-width responsive' and 'content looks empty on my screen if I make the skin full-width responsive'. *sobs* There is simply no winning.
last edit on Aug 15, 2022 21:59:25 GMT by pharaoh leap
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,358written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
pharaoh leap Avatar
Once again torn between 'screen looks empty if I don't make the skin full-width responsive' and 'content looks empty on my screen if I make the skin full-width responsive'. *sobs* There is simply no winning.

ngl it'd be interesting to see what'd happen if you did it all in percentages with a min-width don't mind me tho

frog on the floor
pronounsany
1,539written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
Kuroya Avatar
pharaoh leap Avatar
ngl it'd be interesting to see what'd happen if you did it all in percentages with a min-width don't mind me tho

Does using lots of grid with auto values and clamp work with this? Because if so, mission already technically accomplished with a skin that'll hopefully go live here in the near future. 👀👀👀

My big issue is just that it seems like responsive design pairs better with minimalism (at the very least, the fewer things you have on screen, the better things look with white space around 'em (as intended)/the fewer things you need to make sure look fine on different screen sizes), but minimalism... is not my target aesthetic...... I like it big and busy, but it can't be TOO big or busy, or everything will overlap and be unreadable on smaller screens. *sobbing*
937written posts
gimmickearned bits
offlinecurrently
gimmick
Part of the Furniture
gimmick Avatar
All birds and men are sure to die but songs may live forever
Responsiveness tip: not every element need be visible at all viewport sizes.

For background, there's two terms: "fluid" and "responsive".

A fluid layout is what you described: percentage widths; everything scales down proportionally but the general format remains the same—hence squished columns.

Responsive layouts are fluid, but on top of scaling down, blocks might rearrange, styles might shift according to what works best at various breakpoints. Rather than getting squished, a two column layout becomes two stacked rows. It's not uncommon for a layout to only become minimal after a certain point so long as essential content remains.

All that to say, you shouldn't feel confined to minimal designs, but be prepared for more work—maybe a lot, because it's basically writing another style sheet. One for each breakpoint, depending on how much is changing.
last edit on Aug 16, 2022 18:24:28 GMT by gimmick
370written posts
elliearned bits
offlinecurrently
elli
elli Avatar
gimmick Avatar
All that to say, you shouldn't feel confined to minimal designs, but be prepared for more work—maybe a lot, because it's basically writing another style sheet. One for each breakpoint, depending on how much is changing.

*mumbling about mobile first*
After over 17 years, I've decided to move on from ProBoards. If you need to contact me, find me on my website.
aliasdismay
pronounsshe/her
445written posts
fossaearned bits
offlinecurrently
fossa
fossa Avatar
he's suppose to be DEAD
say it with me gang:

font sizes under size 12 are not user friendly

* there are exceptions but my eyes are tired and those exceptions usually have ways of increasing the legibility
last edit on Aug 19, 2022 0:41:34 GMT by fossa
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW