how do you proofread?

pronounsShe/Her
251written posts
milkearned bits
offlinecurrently
milk
milk Avatar
still lactose intolerant
For me, it's a mix of not proofreading at all and then 'proofreading' as I go along. (Ie still not proofreading at all LOL)

I use Grammarly like it's a gift from the gods (and IT IS). I write lots of essays and reports naturally as a college student, and I can actually afford the paid version of Grammarly as well. It's a lifesaver for catching comma splices and run-on sentences, and the AI is actually quite accurate. The free version of Grammarly I used almost all throughout high school and my RP high school days, while it's not a catch-all, it can catch more nuanced things than you think! (More than like word or google docs)

Another great way to proofread is reading your writing out loud. If you're catching your breath, or you're phrasing is really weird, you can find run-ons or awkwardly spliced sentences because the 'rhythm' of the sentence just seems off! I end up catch a LOT of this stuff while I read my writing out loud.

Of course, if I'm rapid-fire, or the post is very short to begin with, then I end up not proofreading at all. I'm fairly confident in my writing to not make GLARING mistakes 70% of the time. But, the casual typo, run-on sentence, or terribly worded phrasing will always run through. But anyway, narrative writing doesn't have to be 100% technically correct 100% of the time!

In the end, it's all about writing some for fun, this is a hobby! But I always want to deliver something of at least some comprehensible quality for my partner and I really hope that most of the time they can do it for me. RPing for me has really helped me become a more literate writer in general and has fueled my love for it as well.
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
aliasthat bitch.
pronouns"that bitch" still works tbh (any OK!)
551written posts
selkieearned bits
offlinecurrently
selkie
Part of the Furniture
selkie Avatar
a verb in perfect view.
academically? i read through it aloud like you mentioned and also use text to speech (i end up on naturalreaders a lot) to catch issues.

personally? i type with my eyes closed and yeet my writing into my threading partner's face and run, it's their problem now

nah but i used to use hemingway a lot (and still use it academically sometimes bc lol 3810298045 commas r practically expected here), it's a simple little thing that highlights complex sentences, phrases that could be shortened, adverbs, passive voice, stuff like that. i never use it as an "end all be all" thing and tbh would caution against doing that but the way it highlights things does make it easy to go "oh, i used an adverb here and here but i think using stronger verbs instead would be better" or "hey, i can cut this ok sentence in half to make two good sentences", stuff like that. it's neat
weeping omens advertisement

all my proboards templates require the style tags plugin!
pronounsany pronouns
9written posts
rileyearned bits
offlinecurrently
riley
riley Avatar
'cause right before the sunrise, i can see the fear in your eyes—
my writing process 85% of the time is me typing straight into the reply box, which definitely doesn't help with the whole proofreading thing. but! that being said, i find that reading what i've written out loud is usually the most helpful way for me to start breaking apart and reorganising paragraphs/sentences. you can feel the flow of words when you're speaking them, which sounds way too poetic to make any sense but it's true.
take it easy.
aliascae
pronounsshe/her
534written posts
caeearned bits
offlinecurrently
cae
Part of the Furniture
cae Avatar
let's live our lives heroically / let's live our lives with style
i sometimes remember to throw my posts in ProWritingAid which helps with pruning out overused words & etc. otherwise i'm also one of those "read it outloud / use naturalreaders & hope shit sounds ok" x
aliasmany - just ask!
pronounsShe/They
203written posts
eulalieearned bits
offlinecurrently
eulalie
eulalie Avatar
Let the mighty be humbled.
I'm one of those 'it depends' types of people. Most of the time, I'll usually send out my initial post without much thought. Sometimes it helps my juices flow better. Once it's out in the world, then I'll normally go back in and edit - especially if I see something really off that'll need clarification. (This is all in the span of, like, ten minutes after the post happens.)

Now, if we're talking discord posts - good luck getting me to proof that. I only have two ongoing RPs on there, and I've been friends with them for over two-three years. So we've started to not give two hoots.
839written posts
SPIRELEearned bits
offlinecurrently
SPIRELE
Part of the Furniture
SPIRELE Avatar
ur boy old school.

post that shit asap so my partner can reply faster. then forget what u posted and reread it the next time u reply.

u end up editting the post and correcting it days later but no one will notice except u.

it's called self satiFACTion
pronounsthey/him
57written posts
gmotearned bits
offlinecurrently
gmot
gmot Avatar
this is war
SPIRELE Avatar
ur boy old school.

post that shit asap so my partner can reply faster. then forget what u posted and reread it the next time u reply.

u end up editting the post and correcting it days later but no one will notice except u.

it's called self satiFACTion

Facccts
pronounsshe / her
398written posts
Ven ☆earned bits
offlinecurrently
Ven ☆
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
Ven ☆ Avatar
got a secret, can you keep it?
MS Word

Like no joke.

I worked as a writer by profession before, so I always type all my posts out in MS Word and let that do the grammar catching for me

9 times out of 10 I rarely have to go back and go over a post unless the dreaded red line of doom appears

pronounsshe/her
30written posts
mageearned bits
offlinecurrently
mage
mage Avatar

okay okay i kid lol mostly. if it's academic, i'm agonizing over it. 
but if it's for fun, personal, or whatever, i just word barf into a word doc, make sure to correct anything underlined in red, act itread it out loud once and then send it on its way to worry about it another day (and then go back 10 minutes later to add some touch ups bc omfg how did i miss that weird spelling?). 

pronounsshe/her
156written posts
Macchiatoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Macchiato
Macchiato Avatar
I try not to overthink my posts cause, personally, quantity > quality. I rather have my partner and I do 5 posts, back and forth, than us only be 1 post in because it takes me 30+ to write it out. When I do write, I use wordcounter (because it saves my posts and rates what level writing it is.)and then read it out loud to iron out any of the quirks. But thats it, really.
aliasAsu
pronounsshe/her/hers
387written posts
Asuearned bits
offlinecurrently
Asu
Asu Avatar
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

But okay legit props to whatever you guys do for your writing process. I just... type directly into the box and hope that my post doesn't end up in the aether. But it's okay if they do end up in the aether, I'll end up writing something different and feeling like it's an improvement from what I'd just written.

I'm really bad at rereading my posts unless there was something that really stood out to me, but I'll fix mistakes if I see them if I reread, and it's really easy to make fun of my typos to get me to change them back ahigpeihgw

With grad school writing, I don't put as much thought into the process in my writing for pleasure stuff as a perfectionist me from several years ago would've wanted to. You'll get these words as fast as I could type them.
Stardust in me
aliasEm, Dragon
pronounsShe/Her/Hers
773written posts
rabbitearsearned bits
offlinecurrently
rabbitears
Part of the Furniture
rabbitears Avatar
We're motivated by the stars that we're made of
I only really proofread if I'm posting mobile, and even then it's a pretty lax process. Mostly I catch typos layer on.