aliasLuxu, TenebraeQueene
pronounsShe/They
313written posts
Galeforceearned bits
offlinecurrently
Galeforce
Galeforce Avatar
covered in scars but roses are coming through the cracks
I noticed the large amount of likes for this type of roleplay, so I decided to speak up - even if I'm unable to make the site myself. (And anything I make myself dies ;w; =w=) I thought this would be a good place to brainstorm at least? (Is that allowed here? not sure!)

Main Question: What kind of setting would this be?

Canon FFXIV: Set in the canon universe, everything that happened in the game happens here. So, WoLs, OCs, and Canons would be allowed.

Or

Non-Canon FFXIV: Like set in the canon ffxiv universe but like a canon divergence or au? (No scions? no canon WoL? Maybe everyone is a warrior of light by default? Or just everyone has the echo (For, ah, *spoiler* reasons?)

Or

FFXIV Inspired: Similar themes, possibly locations, enemies, classes, etc, etc?

Anime fcs? Or would it require images from the game itself? Or a mix of both?

I'm pretty sure everyone would like it on jcink, but just because i'm curious: Jcink or Proboards?

Anything else anyone else wants to add or input feel free! This is just for spitballing and drumming up an actual idea!

Pinging for interest!: , , , , , , , ,

last edit on May 22, 2021 14:22:34 GMT by Galeforce
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,237written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
personally, i think probably the "best" option (in quotations cuz imo other people might disagree with me) would be to go with something more inspired by ffxiv than an actual full-scale ffxiv rp.

a large part of this is because of concerns with scaling the setting - ffxiv is a very big world already, and it's only going to get bigger with each expansion. wolfe explained it really well in other posts in some other threads before, but like,,,, tl;dr my main worry would be that only one part of eorzea would really end up populated out and the rest would be varying degrees of plotting dead zones just because there's not enough people in any of the areas to get any momentum going.

(while i personally wouldn't have any issue with series canons being playable, i'd be super leery of having a hard wol or even a group of wols just because i've had bad experiences in the past with that kind of thing where someone's playing the game protagonist and i wouldn't be super eager to repeat that.)

personally, my main interest in ffxiv for rp is, well, that lighter fantasy adventuring vibe that you just don't see in a lot of the current fantasy rps out there right now (which i get a lil bit, it's not something that's particularly easy to rp in large groups, it tends to get stale kind of fast). to that end, i'd honestly be pretty hyped just to have a ffxiv-inspired site where you're starting in one location and slowly expanding outwards into new ones via exploration + adventuring and maybe there's some overarching plot maybe there isn't but it's just a general low-key good time.

(i'd also very strongly prefer a jcink host - since i don't like proboards - and general anime fcs with no option of using the game images - largely for some consistency in image quality - but again, that's just me.)

tl;dr i think a ffxiv inspired site would be an idea that's more likely to have longevity to it since it's easier to limit the setting to avoid spreading the character base too thin + to be able to go in different directions for a site plot or general development (and that would have the added bonus of attracting people who aren't familiar with the series but like the idea of a lighter fantasy adventuring site), so. yeah.
last edit on May 22, 2021 20:05:31 GMT by Kuroya

pronounsfeminine
379written posts
idindinearned bits
offlinecurrently
idindin
idindin Avatar
i had to think really hard on why/how i was exposed until i remembered i posted/liked posts about the fanfest stream oops. 

i don't have much time to join another rp so.. i don't think i'm the target audience ;o;/ but if it's my preferences then i'm the kind who prefers an original setting - because it feels more like i can take more liberty in the world if that makes any sense. with canons... eh, even if it's allowed that i can do x and y, i wouldn't feel right to do it. would always feel like i'm going against the writers' intent(that they haven't revealed yet and such). for a private rp, sure, but for a forum rp that's public ... not my thing i think! 

so yes, ffxiv-inspired or AU would be cool. particularly since no one would be shamed for not having caught up with the latest patch and stuff like that, and how a canon-rp would just be a glorified "forum reacts to latest patch!" site. could do an AU where more people had the echo, leading to a different kind of society, people abusing it, people worshipping/founding a whole new religion on it, ... i'd say more but i'm out of brain juice x.x

the smaller details: 

• fcs - i don't think i mind since it's people's characters, not mine!
  • jcink highly preferable because Reasons
  • prefer inspired > original/AU plot - easier to be inclusive, follow, go cray, etc. 

tldr i will defer to other people :eyes:
pronounsshe/her
309written posts
syhrinxearned bits
offlinecurrently
syhrinx
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
syhrinx Avatar
one time many years ago i had a grand dream of three independent sites that focused on the black shroud, la noscea, and thanalan respectively, were set during the same time, and generally each had their own flavor and sometimes even member base...

nowadays i just think having small-scale rps is fun. i would be really intrigued by (and would be — have been — tempted to make) a norvrandt rp that's set years before shadowbringers (maybe like, 10-50 years before) and is mainly focused between the crystarium and eulmore and the rife between them. the apocalyptic vibes. the danger. the political tension. shadowbringers canons allowed because i love canons, and because there's never going to be any chance of us interacting with arr/hw/sb canon content we are free to diverge as we please

also it would completely eliminate "forum reacts to latest patch" because it's just not relevant that far back in time (usually)

i dont think i vibe these days with large rps that have multiple regions and a wide scope. i like small scope. one or two focus cities, with like a small board on the side for like everything else if people wanted to rp like. stuff outside of the areas that are the main
aliaspor, sef, jdawg
pronounsshe | her
524written posts
porsefearned bits
offlinecurrently
porsef
Part of the Furniture
porsef Avatar
chichi wo moge
i would be really interested in a site like this. by far... it is my favorite mmorpg to date. while i'm head empty right now - i can throw in my opinion. <3

what kind of setting would this be

i think i can agree with everyone else in the way that even though i'd love to roleplay in the entirety of eorzea... it might be too large scale. if it is done in a way that isn't too overwhelming, it would be my dream.

i'd prefer non-canon ffxiv or a site heavily inspired by ffxiv (same concepts just an original world).

other

to be able to use my in-game screenshots would be amazing. while i prefer illustrated face claims... if i did a roleplay like this, i'd want to use images of my characters.

for me, i prefer jcink over proboards. but i don't think it'd be make or break for me so long as the skin is user friendly.
aliasmany - just ask!
pronounsShe/They
203written posts
eulalieearned bits
offlinecurrently
eulalie
eulalie Avatar
Let the mighty be humbled.
Kuroya Avatar
a large part of this is because of concerns with scaling the setting - ffxiv is a very big world already, and it's only going to get bigger with each expansion. wolfe explained it really well in other posts in some other threads before, but like,,,, tl;dr my main worry would be that only one part of eorzea would really end up populated out and the rest would be varying degrees of plotting dead zones just because there's not enough people in any of the areas to get any momentum going.

Piggy-backing off of this. As someone from the roleplaying data center and being part of the biggest roleplay server (hi Balmung) for the better part of almost 6 years now, this speaks so many volumes how things go in the actual game regarding roleplay itself. Outside of the three main starter cities, events taking place in other areas is few and far between. (Hopefully the new housing in Ishgard changes that, Shirogane helped Kugane a little bit, so I'm hopeful.)

------

Anyway, at the questions at hand though.

Type of RP: I'd honestly say inspired or non-canon FFXIV honestly. Canon would cause some of the issues I see in game currently. That can be newer RPers not sure what point of the story is going on for huge public events, people all over the place with story, etc. 

Face Claims: .... I have enough art of my characters I could do either. LOL Though the character creator for XIV is pretty decent and wouldn't mind that being used. 

Host: I'm impartial to either. Give me something based off XIV, and I'll be a happy camper. 
375written posts
watcherearned bits
offlinecurrently
watcher
watcher Avatar
Not really one of those pinged, but final fantasy is a flexible enough jrpg setting, so I might be able to do certain character concepts in it? If I'm to be honest, though, I'm not really that familiar with FFXIV--- the most I know about Final Fantasy is Tactics Advance and its sequel, which are set in Ivalice (FFXII).

I don't know how much my opinion weighs since most of my interest hinges in whether I could do a certain character or not, but like what the others said, inspired rather than directly canon is probably the best. Anime fcs would be the most convenient, and I don't care either way between Jcink and Proboards.
pronounsShe/Her
251written posts
milkearned bits
offlinecurrently
milk
milk Avatar
still lactose intolerant
I really would love an FFXIV AU! For me, original RPs or straight-up Panfandoms are so difficult to get into, so AUs are really my favorite niche. There's a level of familiarity with the concepts but an AU slaps a ton of creative freedom onto it at the same time.

Piggy-backing off of other points, I think that in terms of making boards and areas on the site itself, the main hubs of Limsa, Uldah, Gridania, Kugane, and their surrounding areas are probably just as big as you need it. A lot of RPing on FFXIV (I've only done it a few times) really only occurs in those main hubs and in the housing districts which could be more like generic 'residential' districts that allow more than just 'houses' but restaurants, bars, cafes, and libraries just a bigger part of the respective city. I suppose Ishgard could be added as well!

I think perhaps, just an AU that's set without a calamity or scions existing? Or maybe something like decades before they came to be. Because also, I'm just not a fan of canons being playable in most AU settings. And in general, a casual kind of site is what I would for. Something that would focus on giving festivals, themes, or contests for players about once a month or every two months, but lets them do whatever adventuring they want. And maybe the threat of Empire on the horizon?

I really like 's idea of a Novrandt only AU, I feel like it's a whole world that could be explored without stepping on two many toes and without being too excessive since Shadowbringers only has so many areas but each area is vast enough to host many different adventures! I'm just not sure how appealing that would be, considering people who have FFXIV OCs would likely have them come from Eorzea rather than the Source. (Shadowbringers *is* an Isekai)

I'm impartial to any board, I can use both JCINK and Proboards effectively lol. I suppose the only thing would be whether people really would want that 18+ tag for the sake of it. But I'm good any way.

FCs wouldn't bother me. I personally prefer illustrated but heck, taking screenshots of your own characters from the game could be fun too! (I spend too much time in gshade anyway...)
aliasmiddy, midnight
pronounsShe/Her
663written posts
NIGHTBLOOMearned bits
offlinecurrently
NIGHTBLOOM
Part of the Furniture
NIGHTBLOOM Avatar
so it goes.
Okay but like-- I've had a site like this as a WIP for a very long time now. I just keep getting ideas for it, then redoing it, then the people I ask to help me bail and I definitely can't take this task by myself. xD But, a third time's a charm?

I mean, if anyone is even interested in my version of this sort of thing.

I can link to the previous interest checks I've made for it, but the TLDR of it is this:

A mix of Explorers, XIV and Crystal Chronicles. It is about exploring a newly found land. There are large crystals, Grand Crystals, that protect the world from a terrible and deadly miasma. There is one Grand Crystal but it's power is waning (due to people utilizing it as a power source as well). Their goal is to explore the new continent for another Grand Crystal...

Cue boss battles and territory skirmishes. Any FF class is allowed. Members can make their own special Limit Breaks and join Free Companies if they don't want to work for the governing entities.

But, yeah. That is the jist of what I've made. It is jcink, and the only thing is I kind of want to tweak the skin bc it is not exact what I want... So that is the only thing holding me back.

If anyone would like to help make this a reality, FINALLY, just let me know. XD I've still got my Discord server and everything.

coming soon.