stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] discussionstarter
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

This was brought up in Post a Random Thought and considering there is chat and talk about it, we decided to open a topic specifically for this avenue of chat. Feel free to share your thoughts, however, remember that you're posting into an open forum. Your response could be responded to and it might not be in agreement. Do not post in this topic if you don't want a reply. Names of sites are offlimits. If you have personal experience with issues, try not to give a direct nod to the site. If your site handles them a certain way, that's great too, but let's keep site names out of it.
[break][break]
We're going to try out this type of discussion where the thread topic is one thing and let's see how this goes.

aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
217written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
It was mentioned in Random Thoughts, but I'm in the camp of moving away from using the phrase "trigger warning" in relation to online content in general and moving more towards "content warning" or in the case of skinning having a section for "Please Tag". I think with trigger warning being the more popular term it's diluting the gravity of what a trigger is, but also in collaborative spaces it's important to be aware of peoples squicks just as much as it is their triggers. So, content warning just makes more sense. It's a warning of the content for anyone who might not want to engage with or read a certain type of content.

Solar Waltz
, an 18+ panfandom set in nyc
the chalk prince
aliasecho
pronounsthey / them
917written posts
citrinitasearned bits
offlinecurrently
citrinitas
Part of the Furniture
citrinitas Avatar
i still fall for you like suns do for skies.
i prefer the term 'no-gos' or 'please avoid' when talking about things you dont want to see in. they could very well also be things you just dont wanna see in your online space, yeah?

there's no harm in wanting to avoid specific topics, in my opinion. but to label every squick as a trigger undermines the gravity of what a trigger is, and the impact a trigger has on the psyche and general state of a person's being. a squick, on the other hand, should still be taken seriously, but has no real repercussions other than just making someone uncomfortable. 
aliasRelu
pronounsshe/her
154written posts
alcoveearned bits
offlinecurrently
alcove
alcove Avatar
ask not for whom the bell tolls
I'm glad someone raised the issue of 'triggers' being overused. As an uneducated peasant, it didn't even occur to me that the oversaturation of the word 'trigger' was diminishing the severity of the word. In my head, I was beginning to conflate 'triggers', 'squicks', 'content warnings', etc all into the same meaning. I'll definitely pay more attention to the specific terminology I use in the future.
aliasJen, DeJener8
pronounsShe/her
243written posts
Jenesisearned bits
offlinecurrently
Jenesis
Jenesis Avatar
I also much prefer the use of the term "content warning" to "trigger". It's multipurpose in that it can be used for things that can't reasonably be assumed to be trauma based as well (such as "spoiler for X show" or "bright, clashing colors"). I'm still on the lookout for a word meaning "this content won't trigger me but it will make me irrationally angry for a while" (like "squick", except the emotion it's intended to evoke is anger as opposed to disgust).

As for how I actually use them, that's a bit of an interesting case. I tend to put "nothing" when asked. However, if someone else were to write (to use an extreme example) a homophobic serial killer who likes M-rated scenes, I would probably choose to never thread with that character. Not because I have an objection to, or are emotionally upset by, encountering the subject in fiction (I wouldn't have a problem with reading through their profile if asked); but because my characters are my babies and I don't want them to be graphically homophobically serially killed, y'know?
pronounsshe/her
97written posts
mellow♡earned bits
offlinecurrently
mellow♡
mellow♡ Avatar
i'm setting up camp in "please avoid." i agree that liberal use of the words "trigger" and "squick" waters down the meaning, and honestly? trying to remember everyone's "please tags" to tag things could get pretty daunting. myself, i don't like anything writing concerning the occult (ghosts, fortune telling, demons, realistic magic) so that always gets put into my "triggers." it's a popular theme, and i hardly expect people to tag it every time its used. i just want to avoid it in the threads i'm participating in.
pronounsHe / Him
15written posts
ozlenearned bits
offlinecurrently
ozlen
ozlen Avatar
I use "Please Avoid" instead of using the term "triggers". I agree with most of the others here. I feel like using something as serious as the word "trigger", which usually elicits negative emotions, too liberally would undermine the seriousness of the situation. I feel as using the term "Please Avoid" encompasses more topics and includes more people. I would never consider something I am uncomfortable roleplaying as a trigger per se, as it wouldn't effect me like someone who it may be a trigger for, but I have no problem asking people to avoid the subject with me entirely if the term "Please Avoid" is used. After all, the comfort of roleplayers is the whole reason we have such terms to begin with.
aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
217written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
Seeing the arguments for "please avoid", I can see how even the wording of "please tag" isn't exactly perfect, but I definitely do not want to see the proliferation of using "please avoid" instead of triggers. Generally speaking, I almost always put unreality/depersonalization in my please tag section, because it is actually a trigger for me. However, I also love writing unreality stuff, and have a site concept based around it. It's just a situation where I need a warning before encountering it to properly prepare myself for it and any consequences. It's not something to avoid, but something to keep in mind.

Also, in regards to it being difficult to remember everyone's please tags, I personally operate on a level where I always tag common content warnings and discuss the please tags of anyone directly involved in the thread with them, but don't sweat keeping in mind every member on the site. Like, I know people do read threads they're not in, but it's really sort of impossible to keep track of on especially large sites when not everyone does read threads they're not in. If that makes sense.

Solar Waltz
, an 18+ panfandom set in nyc
pronounsHe / Him
15written posts
ozlenearned bits
offlinecurrently
ozlen
ozlen Avatar
Beetle Avatar
Also, in regards to it being difficult to remember everyone's please tags, I personally operate on a level where I always tag common content warnings and discuss the please tags of anyone directly involved in the thread with them, but don't sweat keeping in mind every member on the site. Like, I know people do read threads they're not in, but it's really sort of impossible to keep track of on especially large sites when not everyone does read threads they're not in. If that makes sense.
To go along with what Beetle was saying. That's why I tend to make my posting templates, whether they are for personal use or a default template for use on my forum, have a "Please Avoid" section. Though typically if i am running the site, the Mini profiles usually have that info as well. This makes it astronomically easier to keep track of everyone's triggers and preferences with very little effort. It also helps when you have a roleplayer claiming "they didnt know" when its right there in the post.
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW