all hail Garfield and the Holy Lasagna
pronounsshe/her
403written posts
dijit.exeearned bits
offlinecurrently
dijit.exe
dijit.exe Avatar
no talk me angy
I've been sitting on this for awhile and, and words are not working after 4 cups of coffee bare with me babes.

As of recent, I've wanted to expand on event concepts for the site I'm currently an Event Moderator on. Normally there are two different types of events on the site: run of the mill combat events, and OOC events like Bingo and Sheet Swaps. The site is pretty old, and historically they've done more combat-esc events. But despite my years of experience I do wanna try and dip some toes into some new event ideas that could freshen the player experience.

Are there any good ways to actually do this? Any strategies or approaches one could take to make it easier? Any good ideas for like- good concepts that can make digestible events without disrupting the site's normal rhythm of operations?
last edit on Apr 5, 2023 19:09:40 GMT by dijit.exe
aliasAsu
pronounsshe/her/hers
377written posts
Asuearned bits
offlinecurrently
Asu
Asu Avatar
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
I don't think it hurts at all to try a new event, and especially if you have an established community, maybe it'll be something that's entertaining that will shake up the normal order of things. I know as a member of a site, I get excited about just about any kind of event, just because it gives me something different to do with my threads. Heck, I'm just happy that there are events in general.

If you're really worried about how a new event type or mechanic would fare, the best way to go about it is to just trial it out and ask for feedback after the conclusion of the event to figure out what worked, what didn't, and if it's something that the community would be interested in again.
pronounsshe/her
189written posts
scarletearned bits
offlinecurrently
scarlet
scarlet Avatar
I often decide the outcome I want in an event, and then work backwards designing around that. I highly recommend that method, because it helps you structure intelligently towards a goal. Most of my events tend to be socially-oriented, because my goals are usually designed around character development and encouraging further character dynamics (I struggle a lot with thinking in a PVP mindset).

A really easy event I did that was very popular was a Valentine's Day event run by my character's flower shop. You filled out a set template to order either flowers, perfumes, or desserts for another character, sending it to them with a short card that either was anonymous or signed. It took very little effort to write on my end, very little effort to participate in, and yet had large story implications. My initial goal was to create a personalized opportunity for members to express their feelings towards other characters, while using my existing story tools to facilitate that.

Things like this fit very organically and neatly without upsetting other narratives, imo. Are there any types of events you'd like to steer more towards in general? People can probably share similar structures that worked for them.
last edit on Apr 30, 2023 0:24:39 GMT by scarlet
aliasThe Moustachioed Greek
pronounshe/him
200written posts
Kostearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kost
Kost Avatar
D-d-digimon!
I feel like it depends on the site. In shounen fandoms, combat events are inevitable. If a site has a heavy focus on plot, a more railroady PvE approach might be preferable. In faction-based sites, you could get away with a faction v.s. faction event with little to no GM involvement. I've seen that type of event being pulled off very successfully on a Pokemon site recently, but it requires a devoted memberbase and strict PvP guidelines to avoid OOC drama.

I've also tried my hand at running mystery/puzzle-based events a couple of times. The problem I came across was that either the players metagamed (wittingly or unwittingly) and solved the mystery way too quickly, or they had a collective brainfart and I had to basically give the answer away.