aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Blue, Aki, Kazzie
pronounsAny
4,043written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
I've been wanting to do this for awhile, I have this weird obsession with figuring out where people are from. What their cultures are like, what some cool stuff they like about their home state/town/country is. Favorite cultural comfort foods/favorite events/weird laws. Whatever you are comfortable sharing you can put really.

So where in the world are you from??

I'm from Minnesota, USA. Been pretty much everywhere. The best thing I can say about how Minnesota is, is we are basically the love child between Texas and Canada, but Canada won custody in the divorce. We have a lot of rednecks, guns, fishing, camping, big ass trucks that have no business being here. I am also quite proud of our state for believing in human rights above all else. Currently, I live in a tiny town about 45 minutes west of Minneapolis. There's nothing out here but cows and alcoholism lol. Hopefully I'll move a bit closer to the cities eventually.

I also live with and who I am married to lol.
last edit on Apr 23, 2023 2:57:41 GMT by AkiraTsunami

203written posts
Khaeearned bits
offlinecurrently
Khae
Khae Avatar
Heh, well like that person up above said, I'm married to them and live in Minnesota with them now. I'm originally from Texas, USA and lived about an hour-ish from the gulf of Mexico. What I liked about Texas was how decent winter is compared to winters up in Minnesnowta.
local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
718written posts
spooky johnsonearned bits
offlinecurrently
spooky johnson
Part of the Furniture
spooky johnson Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
how dare you forget about the mayo clinic and the mall of america smdh

fun fact: the mayo clinic is the reason why minnesota was a secondary target for both the soviet union and china during the cold war :)
last edit on Apr 23, 2023 4:30:44 GMT by spooky johnson

pronounsAny
520written posts
offlinecurrently
𝐹𝑒𝓇𝒶𝓁
Part of the Furniture
𝐹𝑒𝓇𝒶𝓁 Avatar
Like was stated up there, I currently live with Khae and Tsunami.

Originally I was from Wisconsin which is the land of cheese, alcoholism, and apparently the most serial killers.

It was a rite of passage to start getting smashed even more up north, in a cabin or camper, by the time you turn 16.

Also, that cabin was smack between two places with uh…interesting names. Mountain and Breed.
last edit on Apr 23, 2023 5:25:25 GMT by 𝐹𝑒𝓇𝒶𝓁
“I can fix him,” says woman who is worse.
pronounshe/him
877written posts
Desmond Milesearned bits
offlinecurrently
Desmond Miles
Part of the Furniture
Desmond Miles Avatar
we will have peace at any cost
just another dude from the golden state, wazzup.

i feel like there isn't much to say lmao. if you know anything about california from the movies then like... that it's, there it is. we're just a very unique state, and i live in the most unique part where i have equal access to the mountains, the beaches, and the deserts all at once. you don't really get that quite anywhere else. we love our wild spaces, and we love our national and state parks.

i guess i will say, what a lot of people may not realize, is that nothern california is a way different beast than southern california. and even THEN, los angeles is a way different vibe than san diego, and both are even way more different vibes than san francisco. and then central california is just its own place that no one really pays attention to unless you love agriculture and cows. we're just a big state, probably bigger than we have any right to be honestly lmao. but we love it here for one reason or another, so you know.

Now serving!
the chalk prince
aliasecho
pronounsthey / them
914written posts
citrinitasearned bits
offlinecurrently
citrinitas
Part of the Furniture
citrinitas Avatar
i still fall for you like suns do for skies.
i live in the only triple landlocked state in the usa, aka nebraska. our main exports are beef and stem kids. there is literally nothing to do here except indulge in the devil's lettuce and also learn coding. there's not much here except in my city we have a world renowned zoo, voted in the top 5 consecutively for years on end. 

we have our own version of in-n-out in my city. but thats abt it... hm
pronounsshe/her
90written posts
FINITEearned bits
offlinecurrently
FINITE
FINITE Avatar
Arkansas! Born & raised.

In the region officially known as the Ozarks, but I prefer to call it Walmartland. 💫

We've got, uh... Walmart... Walmart... More Walmart... The Waltons pretty much developed the area, so everything major has their name on it. We recently got a Topgolf though! No, I have not gone. Don't trust me with a golf club.

What else... We've got a big cat rescue and a haunted hotel! Otherwise there's not much to do here lol.
internally screaming
pronounsshe/her
1,763written posts
Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
I'm from the state where swamp cats and kitty cats live side by side and that's Florida. I am the local cryptid that you all know. Tbh there's a lot to do in my city but I don't like it cause I like to be somewhere away from all of that. I won't dox myself hard - but the road work never ends in my ridiculously large city and everyone will complain about it till they are dead.

Fun note, Florida is like the one state that's actually four very different sets of people-states and we'll complain about each other until we fight in the back of a denny's parkinglot but if you actually insult our brethren or us we are the crazy nutcases that will come after you. We band together like a hoard of crabs especially if you insult our specific grocery store. That or our college football team of choice.

My husband is from Europe so teaching him the ways of the water redneck is fun. You cannot walk your alligator on a leash is I guess a weird law? Not that it would stop me.

aliaspor, sef, jdawg
pronounsshe | her
517written posts
porsefearned bits
offlinecurrently
porsef
Part of the Furniture
porsef Avatar
chichi wo moge
i was born and raised in long island, new york but i've been in florida for about five years now. feels like i should have been here my whole life. i love it so much and i can't imagine anywhere else i'd rather be right now. this state is so much cleaner than new york and the nature is just as breathtaking. i don't miss the cold, snowy winters either.

around where i live here, there are a ton of beautiful springs which i love. it helped me discover that i have a passion for kayaking. even the surrounding oceans and the sand... it's all so wonderful.
aliasJen, DeJener8
pronounsShe/her
226written posts
Jenesisearned bits
offlinecurrently
Jenesis
Jenesis Avatar
Hi, I'm from the Los Angeles area. Go ahead try and dox me even if we're bleeding people still got 9 million of us fuckers over here.

Traffic is hell and parking is even more hell. House prices suck. I live anywhere near approximately zero of my RP friends.

On the plus side, the weather is lovely (my perfect temp is around 80 degrees, ymmv), I can easily order just about any type of food I want, and I never have to worry about voting.
last edit on Apr 23, 2023 19:35:12 GMT by Jenesis
aliasNwah
pronouns¯\_(ツ)_/¯
238written posts
Noireearned bits
offlinecurrently
Noire
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Noire Avatar
No cracks, no breaks; no mistakes
Y'all get one guess what country I live in, and here's your hint: It snowed two days this week.

I'm originally an American transplant, though. Lived in the three best beach states, and also South Dakota. I've been in hurricanes as well as blizzards, and I've now accepted Timmy's as my one true caffeine saviour, but mostly because there are few delights greater than rolling up with a carful of drink orders and having it be like $10

More specifically, I live in the province where a lot of TLoU was shot, and I rewatched the whole season with a friend pausing it periodically to point out different scenery, probably much to her chagrin - Idk, she was too polite to say anything

We get chinooks here. The weather will be all stereotypical cold from the plains, but then all of BC's hot air blows over the mountains so it'll go from -12 one day to +5 the next and everyone's out walking their dogs in shorts as they circumnavigate snow piles. You know a chinook has hit when people actually say the "+" in "+5"

Everyone knows about poutine, and some are addicted to All-Dressed chips, but the real shit y'all need to steal are nanaimo bars and ginger beef
And Salt & Vinegar everything, but that's mostly just me
Sorojin's Labyrinth
pronounsshe/her
84written posts
fawnearned bits
offlinecurrently
fawn
fawn Avatar
born in accra, ghana smack dab on the equator. moved to the lovely state of virginia (NOVA, woodbridge) for 8 years. moved BACK to ghana and lived there till i popped out of high school. went to an international school there. did the IB. cried.

went to school in western massachusetts because i hate myself and decided that for my first winter in awhile, the northeast was where i wanted to go. graduated, covid hit and went to live in virginia for a year until i moved

tooOoOoooo

the bay area of california. i currently live like RIGHT next to san francisco and chilling. it’s been about the year. she’s cute.
aliasAsu
pronounsshe/her/hers
377written posts
Asuearned bits
offlinecurrently
Asu
Asu Avatar
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
Born and raised in the Bay Area of California! My family's from the Philippines though. I'd also spent some of high school in Germany, but I'm pretty firmly rooted here.

I will say that even the Bay Area is pretty nuanced— I'd grown up in south bay, but I went to university in San Francisco for four years. And even then, I commute to work down in a town that's considered rural.
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
aliasthat bitch.
pronouns"that bitch" still works tbh (any OK!)
551written posts
selkieearned bits
offlinecurrently
selkie
Part of the Furniture
selkie Avatar
a verb in perfect view.
AMERICA WOOOOOO 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🏆🦅🦅🦅🎖️🎖️🎖️🎖️

way ive described it to ppl while traveling is that if you draw up a map of the US and point to the exact midpoint of the country, ull get p close the city ive spent most of my time in. stayed in the same place for undergrad, very ready to leave.

moved around a lot as a kid tho (st louis MO, navy base in california, up in the mountains in arizona), as did my parents when they were kids, so my cultural identity is overall just fckin. American with a dash of midwestern.

midwest is the midwest is "eh". i actually think the ecology of the region/tallgrass praries is interesting af but i cba to phone post about that. every year or so there'll be a severe thunderstorm warning/tornado watch which comes along with a thunderstorm bad enough to make you sit in a basement and contemplate your own mortality. they test the tornado sirens on the first wednesday of every month so the pattern of (distant, apocalyptic wailing in the distance) "???? is the end here--oh its wednesday" is common.

definitely something in the midwestern aquifer that made me think coding was fun as a teenager. is decent otherwise tho.

also ppl here do this thing where they eat cinnamon rolls and chili. it confused me when i came here and it confuses me still.
last edit on Apr 24, 2023 14:43:35 GMT by selkie
weeping omens advertisement

all my proboards templates require the style tags plugin!
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW