Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RP

aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
217written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
I started working on a skin just for fun and to shake the dust off my coding skills, but now I'm seriously considering making a PMD rp forum, so I wanted to gauge interest.

Premise: The pokemon of Prism Island lived easy lives until a year ago when another island mysteriously appeared nearby. The island was full of aggressive pokemon and constantly changing "dungeons". The Explorer's Guild formed to organize search parties to explore the island and discover it's origin.

Key Features

- Humans turned pokemon. I really enjoy this aspect of the games, so the opening event will likely be something about amnesiac pokemon who claim they're humans starting to appear ala the games.

- Six character limit, with each player only being allowed one human turned pokemon just to keep them rare.

- Pokemon will be treated like face claims. Unless this is particularly controversial, players will claim final evolutions as their "face claim" with regional forms counting as separate final forms. For example, there can only be one espeon, one dragonite, one Hoennian Linoone, one Galarian Obstagoon.

- Player characters will start out as the unevolved form of a pokemon. With the above rule in effect, this could mean that there could be 8 eevees running around, but there will not be more than one espeon, umbreon, vaporeon, etc.

What I'm most interested in with this interest check is how many people are interested, but also what people are looking for the most from a PMD rp. Would you want to be able to collect "NPC" pokemon to add to the team, like in the games, or just keep it to PC formed teams? Do you have any comments or suggestions for the above mentioned features?

Edit: Forgot to include a preview of the WIP skin.

last edit on Jul 1, 2023 6:14:22 GMT by Beetle

Solar Waltz
, an 18+ panfandom set in nyc
pronounsshe/her
97written posts
mellowโ™กearned bits
offlinecurrently
mellowโ™ก
mellowโ™ก Avatar

"pokemon as faceclaims" scared me at first, ngl. but as i think about it? the idea really grows on me. it seems like a good way to enforce variety. having a character limit, too, will prevent people from snapping up all the "popular" pokemon.

humans turned to pokemon sounds great. i haven't seen that in a mystery dungeon roleplay before, and i think it would work really well.

my wishlist for a pmd site would be something like:

no npc teams.
team up with other players to complete missions.

ongoing story.
the site doesn't completely rely on member plots.

lighthearted events.
festivals, contests, and fun games to keep a sense of levity.

no gifted canons.
guild masters and key shop owners are npcs. maybe their positions can be earned by active players?
( when folks take a break you don't want orgs and businesses falling apart. )

system-lite.
progression is great. word counting and exp tracking is not.

i might be the odd one out on a number of these, but there you have it!

layout is looking adorable, btw.
last edit on Jul 2, 2023 1:24:45 GMT by mellowโ™ก
aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
217written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
mellowโ™ก Avatar

"pokemon as faceclaims" scared me at first, ngl. but as i think about it? the idea really grows on me. it seems like a good way to enforce variety. having a character limit, too, will prevent people from snapping up all the "popular" pokemon.

humans turned to pokemon sounds great. i haven't seen that in a mystery dungeon roleplay before, and i think it would work really well.

my wishlist for a pmd site would be something like:

no npc teams.
team up with other players to complete missions.

ongoing story.
the site doesn't completely rely on member plots.

lighthearted events.
festivals, contests, and fun games to keep a sense of levity.

no gifted canons.
guild masters and key shop owners are npcs. maybe their positions can be earned by active players?
( when folks take a break you don't want orgs and businesses falling apart. )

system-lite.
progression is great. word counting and exp tracking is not.

i might be the odd one out on a number of these, but there you have it!

layout is looking adorable, btw.

Thank you for your reply, it reminded me of a few features I forgot to mention in my first post!

Definitely understand the knee-jerk initial reaction to "pokemon as faceclaims", but the more I think about it the more I think I'm sold on it, because at this point we have over a thousand pokemon. Even if someone gobbles up Pikachu right out the gate, theres going to be something for someone.

Ongoing Story: New islands will appear over the course of the roleplay! Each one with their own mini-plot/boss.

Lighthearted Events: Big fan of these, too!

No Gifted Canons: All important roles like the main guild master of the Explorer's guild will be NPCs. The only role available to players will be explorers & leaders of their own custom teams. Though, I wonder if people would be interested in bandit or civilian roles, too.

System-Lite: This is the big one I forgot to mention! It will be a stat-less roleplay. Missions will be story-based with objectives that need to be met during the the thread (eg. travel 3 floors with 2 posts minimum per floor and encounter a pidgey). There will probably be a word minimum, but no battle mechanics. It'll probably be more like earning x amount of levels per mission or using site currency to buy levels.

And thank you for the compliment!

last edit on Jul 2, 2023 9:26:34 GMT by Beetle

Solar Waltz
pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar
Please I want an rp where I can play a pokemon SO BAD? I was on one ages ago that was so much fun! I like the pokemon as face claims idea especially with the character limit!

Also the WIP skin is looking super cute ahhhhh!!
pronounsshe/her
97written posts
mellowโ™กearned bits
offlinecurrently
mellowโ™ก
mellowโ™ก Avatar
it sounds like fun! i'm all for minimum word counts - it's when i need to count how many words are in a post to equate them to gained experience that i start losing my mind a little bit. going statless sounds like it'll make things a lot more easygoing, and simplifying to X levels per mission is a lot less intimidating than counting fractions. great to hear there will be story progression too. i like it!

guess i'd better open up my pokedex. xD
pronounsidc
62written posts
newyorkearned bits
offlinecurrently
newyork
newyork Avatar
I might be the really weird one, but Iโ€™m obsessed with badges and it would be so cute to complete specific achievements to unlock awards/badges that show up on your profile.

For instance, thereโ€™s an achievement for joining/creating your first dungeon dive. Youโ€™re awarded a rope badge. Or, for joining your first event (conpletion of event mandatory except on special circumstances) and you get a cute cherry pie award/badge. Ugh idk. Iโ€™m obsessed.

I agree with everything Mellow said (but we usually share same taste in stuff). Super excited for this.
aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
217written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
Thanks for the interest everyone! The heat's been dragging me down so there hasn't been much work on this, but I will be slowly but surely working on it thanks to all of the interest.

Solar Waltz
pronounsHe/Him
12written posts
Abderianearned bits
offlinecurrently
Abderian
Abderian Avatar
Damn, that skins looks really great to me! I've always been more partial to heavier stats, but I can why so many people prefer soft/no stats. Opt-in, in my opinion, never works - but I'm very glad to see levels still be a thing because I feel it is very fitting in relation to the games.

Also, newyork's mention of badges/trophies/achievements is very fun. I'd love to see something like that.

You can count me as very interested!
the waking storm
aliasLuxu, TenebraeQueene
pronounsShe/They
313written posts
Galeforceearned bits
offlinecurrently
Galeforce
Galeforce Avatar
covered in scars but roses are coming through the cracks
dang! how did i miss this?! i want this SO bad! making mega huge :eyes: at this! <3

also, a possibility for a discord soon? :eyes:
last edit on Jul 21, 2023 14:32:31 GMT by Galeforce
the waking storm
pronounsShe/They
313written posts
Galeforceearned bits
offlinecurrently
Galeforce
Galeforce Avatar
Beetle Avatar

- Pokemon will be treated like face claims. Unless this is particularly controversial, players will claim final evolutions as their "face claim" with regional forms counting as separate final forms. For example, there can only be one espeon, one dragonite, one Hoennian Linoone, one Galarian Obstagoon.

- Player characters will start out as the unevolved form of a pokemon. With the above rule in effect, this could mean that there could be 8 eevees running around, but there will not be more than one espeon, umbreon, vaporeon, etc.

also, just a suggestion! perhaps instead of locking pokemon face claims to one per player. (mainly to avoid hurt feelings or feelings of missing out). maybe have pokemon face claims have slots? let's use pikachu as an example: instead of one person being able to have pikachu, have it be [0/5]! so, five members can have a Pikachu but only those five unless a slot opens up? also, no members can snatch up more than one of that face claim! it's a relatively low number so it still keeps them rather rare. Or even lower it to [0/3] if five is too much!

but i only state this if the site gets bigger than you expect. if it remains like let's say 20 members. then keep it the way it is. but it's a suggestion in case the site gets rather large.
aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
217written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
Galeforce Avatar
also, a possibility for a discord soon? :eyes:

Not until much closer to launch! I want to have almost everything in order before I start worrying about a discord, just because moderating one will distract from development.

Galeforce Avatar

also, just a suggestion! perhaps instead of locking pokemon face claims to one per player. (mainly to avoid hurt feelings or feelings of missing out). maybe have pokemon face claims have slots? let's use pikachu as an example: instead of one person being able to have pikachu, have it be [0/5]! so, five members can have a Pikachu but only those five unless a slot opens up? also, no members can snatch up more than one of that face claim! it's a relatively low number so it still keeps them rather rare. Or even lower it to [0/3] if five is too much!

but i only state this if the site gets bigger than you expect. if it remains like let's say 20 members. then keep it the way it is. but it's a suggestion in case the site gets rather large.

Slots are something I was considering! If the site does get big, it's not something that I'm opposed to doing, but it's much easier to add slots than take them away. We'll see what happens and what kind of turn out there is, but I would also like to encourage making less popular pokemon tbh.

As a more general update, I've done some more work on the skin! Here's a preview of the post row (mini-profile subject to change as I finalize what links/info should go in them).

Solar Waltz
the waking storm
pronounsShe/They
313written posts
Galeforceearned bits
offlinecurrently
Galeforce
Galeforce Avatar

makes sense with the discord! i can wait then! tho it does make me wonder if you have a guesstimate of when the site will open? :o

oh? that's great you had slots in consideration! i wasn't sure if you'd agree! but i also agree with you on more unpopular pokemon being chosen! I'm tempted to choose the less popular ones myself if i can't get what i want! x)

next, I LOVE THE SKIN! it's SO CUTE! and simple. No big hovers either so we can get small pokemon images! which is perfect for me! x) (less work)! xD anyways, keep up the great work! I eagerly await the re;ease of the site! c:
last edit on Jul 25, 2023 13:01:36 GMT by Galeforce
pronounsidc
62written posts
newyorkearned bits
offlinecurrently
newyork
newyork Avatar
what a great update! and I agree with your choices. Discord later is better for development purposes and personally, I don't think adding slots would be terribly necessary for the site. I mean, there are hundreds of pokemon to choose from, and even if you don't get to have the pokemon you want, doesn't mean there's nothing to choose from. It makes things more exciting I think to be able to see such a diverse amount of pokemon rather than the same pokemon. But that's just my humble opinion. Super excited for the next update, keep up the good work!