aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
217written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
Galeforce Avatar
makes sense with the discord! i can wait then! tho it does make me wonder if you have a guesstimate of when the site will open?

I don't want to set any specific expectations bc this is 100% a casual project for me, but at this point it probably won't be until after August. Even if I get everything done and polished, I'm going on an international road trip at the end of August and I'll want to postpone opening until after I've gotten through the stress of that! Aiming for early/mid September, but the end of this month and August are going to be pretty busy for me. So, we'll see.

Galeforce Avatar
next, I LOVE THE SKIN! it's SO CUTE! and simple. No big hovers either so we can get small pokemon images!

The skin is specifically being designed so that the only image required will be a 100x100 icon for ease of accessibility to people who may not have a lot of graphical skills!

Solar Waltz
, an 18+ panfandom set in nyc
aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
217written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
Thinking about aspects of the site and I was wondering what everyone's ideal starting character limit is? I was thinking somewhere between 2-4 to start, with the potential to increase the limit as the site grows/things progress. (eg. if a new playable group is released, the character limit will be increased to accommodate)

I'm leaning towards a cozier, lower character count but I wanted to know your guys' opinions on it!

Solar Waltz
pronounsidc
62written posts
newyorkearned bits
offlinecurrently
newyork
newyork Avatar
I'm a big advocator for smaller is better. I think 2-4 is a good start and if the site grows then it wouldn't hurt to open up for a higher threshold. Maybe start with 4 as the max? More than two require a post amount with each of those two characters before you can start on your third. That would be my suggestion!
kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,333written posts
offlinecurrently
emotional over wallace event/alt
Beetle Avatar
I started working on a skin just for fun and to shake the dust off my coding skills, but now I'm seriously considering making a PMD rp forum, so I wanted to gauge interest.

you'll be saving a small but loyal crowd that has been abandoned by daddy nintendo

and super cute skin  8D
pronounshe/him
732written posts
illidan mainearned bits
onlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
figured i'd ask about two things:

baby pokemon and paradox pokemon - how do they work? would a pikachu be able to start as pichu? would paradox pokemon even be around?

also i think if your max character slots are 6, 2 slots to start for free is probably fair.

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
217written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
illidan main Avatar
figured i'd ask about two things:

baby pokemon and paradox pokemon - how do they work? would a pikachu be able to start as pichu? would paradox pokemon even be around?

also i think if your max character slots are 6, 2 slots to start for free is probably fair.
Good question! I plan on going through the full list of pokemon and creating a list of which pokemon aren't allowed to be used.

Legendaries, Ultra Beasts and Paradox pokemon will be banned from the start, but UBs and Paradox pokemon might be allowed later as part of some event, but not for some time.

All pokemon will start as their unevolved form, which does include baby forms. I'll probably make baby forms optional, but players won't have to have their character act like a child just because it's a "baby form" pokemon, if they choose to go that route.

There will also be other restrictions like Pokemon with human influences being restricted to humans turned pokemon (Revaroom, Porygon) or banned outright (Galarian Fossil pokemon, Heat/Wash/Frost/Fan/Mow Rotom).

As a note in relation to the baby form pokemon: I will allow for there to be looser interpretations of pokemon! Baby forms don't have to be literal babies or, as another example, a Spoink won't literally die if it stops bouncing.

Solar Waltz
aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
217written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
Here's another conundrum for you all: Fish pokemon.

I feel like the options for dealing with them being on land are:

1. Ban them outright and don't deal with it at all.
2. Play with realism and restrict them to waterways, but this would limit their ability to go into dungeons at all.
3. Let them "swim" through the air by a few feet and be able to breathe and not address it IC.
4. Have some kind of floating... water bubble device.

Solar Waltz
pronounshe/him
882written posts
Desmond Milesearned bits
offlinecurrently
Desmond Miles
Part of the Furniture
Desmond Miles Avatar
we will have peace at any cost
Beetle Avatar

3. Let them "swim" through the air by a few feet and be able to breathe and not address it IC.

yes but only magikarp is restricted to flopping around on the ground in order to move

Now serving!
pronounsshe/her
97written posts
mellowโ™กearned bits
offlinecurrently
mellowโ™ก
mellowโ™ก Avatar
have to agree with for the most part.

roleplay is about having fun. restricting fish pokemon's movements would make a lot of interactions a heck of a lot more difficult. with the claim limit in place, letting them "swim" through the air will make them more viable for play.

on magikarp, having them flop is hilarious, but equally funny would be a magikarp who swims through the air but keeps falling out - or who swims effectively and has no idea why everyone else is having such a hard time.

i say put the option there, but let people get creative with it.
aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
217written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
I made a list of all available & banned pokemon. They're divided into "Evolution Lines" which act as face claims. The only pokemon that are hard gender locked are ones with gender based evolutions (Gallade) or have gendered counterpart species (Nidoking & Nidoqueen). Most banned pokemon are just Legendary, Mythical, Ultra Beasts, or Paradox pokemon. There are a handful banned just because I don't think they fit the setting (Rotom Forms) or logistically don't make sense (Wailord or Shedinja).

Note: There will be a shorter claims list on the site proper, this is just to show what is available and to make the evolution lines & requirements clearer.
last edit on Aug 13, 2023 1:05:35 GMT by Beetle

Solar Waltz
the waking storm
aliasLuxu, TenebraeQueene
pronounsShe/They
313written posts
Galeforceearned bits
offlinecurrently
Galeforce
Galeforce Avatar
covered in scars but roses are coming through the cracks
Beetle Avatar
I made a list of all available & banned pokemon. They're divided into "Evolution Lines" which act as face claims. The only pokemon that are hard gender locked are ones with gender based evolutions (Gallade) or have gendered counterpart species (Nidoking & Nidoqueen). Most banned pokemon are just Legendary, Mythical, Ultra Beasts, or Paradox pokemon. There are a handful banned just because I don't think they fit the setting (Rotom Forms) or logistically don't make sense (Wailord or Shedinja).

Note: There will be a shorter claims list on the site proper, this is just to show what is available and to make the evolution lines & requirements clearer.

not me already trying to figure out which pokemon line i wanna play xD but this is a very well-thought-out list! especially with how certain pokemon evolve! that couldn't have been easy to write all out! that's almost 1k pokemon o.O but this just gets me more excited for the site! you're thinking about releasing the site sometime next month or so, correct? i absolutely can't wait! i eagerly await your progress! <3
last edit on Aug 13, 2023 12:23:25 GMT by Galeforce
aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
217written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
Galeforce Avatar
you're thinking about releasing the site sometime next month or so, correct?
Hopefully! I didn't get as much work done on it in August as I hoped, so a September release might be a bit too much of a lofty goal for a one man project. Definitely by the end of the year, though. I'm back home from my trip and chugging away at the things that need to be done. Here's a preview of the NPCs that call Crystal Cove and the Explorer's Guild home*. ;)

*NPCs will not count towards any pokemon caps, and information may be subject to some revision before release.

Solar Waltz
aliaskappaccino
pronounsthey
283written posts
kappaccinoearned bits
offlinecurrently
kappaccino
kappaccino Avatar
welcome and well met, my brave little spark
A pokemon mystery dungeon rp would be so much fun! However, I do agree with the other poster who mentioned maybe having slots instead of just limiting it to one pokemon per site. Even though there are like a thousand pokemon, it doesn't mean that there are more than a few that someone may want to play. If a member finds the site later, and they're locked out of all of their favorites, they might lose all their enthusiasm for joining in. It would kind of feel like being punished for not finding the site earlier. Just my opinion though!