pronounsShe/They
139written posts
Aerieearned bits
offlinecurrently
Aerie
Aerie Avatar
sometimes we ball, sometimes we fall.
illidan main Avatar
i'm also not talking taking it into RP where the themes are not already present. i'm talking "an admin writes a setting where women are not allowed to do xyz" and you write a character that agrees with that in a non-violent manner-- and you get OOC backlash for it from people who, if they want to be free of those themes, could easily have read "this setting has misogyny" and not joined.

it's like being yelled at for playing a murderer in a crime RP.

hell, even non-RL opinions that aren't "strictly correct" from the ooc perspective of the site can get you harassed, such as playing someone who supports the Empire in a Star Wars RP (unless they are a sexy white guy).

I understand there's nuance in the situation, and sometimes people do go overboard, but I like when characters have flaws that reflect a setting and limited view of the setting, i guess. A perfect example is, when Sylvanas was doing her thing during BFA, it was expected that your character knew everything exactly as it happened. I respected the players who played with propaganda and limited worldviews in play over those that immediately knew everything Sylvanas was up to and everything Sylvanas did, but you couldn't actually RP them with everyone because odds are you'd run into someone whose OOC and IC opinions were perfectly lined up, and they'd "lore police" you IC for it.

my final edit, i swear: i also had a member afraid to app rose quartz from steven universe on my site because Rose is a character that is definitively flawed within the narrative and is constrained by a myriad of factors outside her control and some within. So it definitely isn't just "well some ppl don't wanna RP with Racism," it's just that some people don't wanna deal with characters that aren't perfect representations of their personal takes on a piece of media, and it's exhausting.

So I really respect when players are willing to not only RP as characters they don't agree with, but *with* characters they don't personally agree with. It's a good sign for me.

i'm ngl your community sounds miserable. might be time to move on
pronounshe/him
730written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
Aerie Avatar
illidan main Avatar
i'm also not talking taking it into RP where the themes are not already present. i'm talking "an admin writes a setting where women are not allowed to do xyz" and you write a character that agrees with that in a non-violent manner-- and you get OOC backlash for it from people who, if they want to be free of those themes, could easily have read "this setting has misogyny" and not joined.

it's like being yelled at for playing a murderer in a crime RP.

hell, even non-RL opinions that aren't "strictly correct" from the ooc perspective of the site can get you harassed, such as playing someone who supports the Empire in a Star Wars RP (unless they are a sexy white guy).

I understand there's nuance in the situation, and sometimes people do go overboard, but I like when characters have flaws that reflect a setting and limited view of the setting, i guess. A perfect example is, when Sylvanas was doing her thing during BFA, it was expected that your character knew everything exactly as it happened. I respected the players who played with propaganda and limited worldviews in play over those that immediately knew everything Sylvanas was up to and everything Sylvanas did, but you couldn't actually RP them with everyone because odds are you'd run into someone whose OOC and IC opinions were perfectly lined up, and they'd "lore police" you IC for it.

my final edit, i swear: i also had a member afraid to app rose quartz from steven universe on my site because Rose is a character that is definitively flawed within the narrative and is constrained by a myriad of factors outside her control and some within. So it definitely isn't just "well some ppl don't wanna RP with Racism," it's just that some people don't wanna deal with characters that aren't perfect representations of their personal takes on a piece of media, and it's exhausting.

So I really respect when players are willing to not only RP as characters they don't agree with, but *with* characters they don't personally agree with. It's a good sign for me.
i'm ngl your community sounds miserable. might be time to move on
i've left most of the examples, and the rose quartz example was more due to past bad experiences than experiences on my site. the player faced no actual issues on my site, it was more that they were scared to do so in the first place that bothers me.
last edit on Oct 11, 2023 19:50:38 GMT by illidan main

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
aliasTin
24written posts
tinniearned bits
offlinecurrently
tinni
tinni Avatar
idk if this really answers the question, i love love LOVE when characters are exposed to situations that could potentially make them vulnerable or even look the opposite of what they're supposed to be.

the smartest kid in the class actually failing a test? beautiful.

a powerful ceo losing all of their influence and wealth? delicious.

a famous celeb being blackmailed and doing whatever they can for it to stop? amazing.

a usually calm and collected character losing their absolute shit?

i appreciate when writers put their characters in uncompromising positions 'cause it just feels realistic that not things can go their way 100% of the time, and it's interesting to see how they deal with such dilemmas and solve them (if they, the character, even want to)!
kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,326written posts
offlinecurrently
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
Part of the Furniture
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
tinni Avatar
idk if this really answers the question, i love love LOVE when characters are exposed to situations that could potentially make them vulnerable or even look the opposite of what they're supposed to be.

a famous celeb being blackmailed and doing whatever they can for it to stop? amazing.

i appreciate when writers put their characters in uncompromising positions 'cause it just feels realistic that not things can go their way 100% of the time, and it's interesting to see how they deal with such dilemmas and solve them (if they, the character, even want to)!

youโ€™re gonna like code geass
aliasTin
24written posts
tinniearned bits
offlinecurrently
tinni
tinni Avatar
tinni Avatar

i will admit being guilty for being familiar with the series, in love with one of their ops as they're from my fave band (flow), often using face claims from them, but never watched the series. ๐Ÿ˜”
kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,326written posts
offlinecurrently
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
Part of the Furniture
emotional over wallace event/alt
tinni Avatar
i will admit being guilty for being familiar with the series, in love with one of their ops as they're from my fave band (flow), often using face claims from them, but never watched the series. ๐Ÿ˜”
still valid. clamp design is fantastic. may the jibun wo be with you
aliasThe Moustachioed Greek
pronounshe/him
202written posts
Kostearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kost
Kost Avatar
D-d-digimon!
What I try to do with my characters: Make them versatile. I've fallen too many times into the trap of creating very niche characters that looked interesting on paper, but after the first few posts I realized "this shit isn't gonna work". Being creative is great, but in an RP setting your character will have to adapt to different scenarios and tones. Lord Doomshade McDeathinghton could work as an antagonist for a one-shot, but not in an RP, where he will be expected to do things other than sit in his dark castle and plot sinisterly.

What I look for in other people's characters: Being proactive. RP is a collaborative hobby and I'm getting older. Having to move a thread forward entirely on my own, while getting the bare minimum feedback from my roleplaying partner, is taxing and drains away all the fun.
113written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
I like when characters have flaws that obstruct them in obtaining their goals. I see apps that ask you to balance negative and positive traits, but I find that difficult because, in my view, those are context-based, sometimes even in the eye of the beholder. An insanely stubborn character would be annoying as a younger sister; they'd probably make for a great heroine intent on revealing the evils of the empire. Stingy people might hate spending money on themselves, but delight in spending on others. Kind people can still unleash of a fury of which hell hath no.

My favourite sort of characters (I admit, not "good" necessarily) embrace that, and respect that not all traits are black-and-white. A baseline "good" roleplay character is, in my opinion, is one that is equally good at playing a protagonist's role as they are at playing the supporting character or antagonist.

And I adore characters that challenge themselves, or whose entire story is about changing. If I write Neil, the straight A student who never strays from the "right" path, I'd be thrilled to write him taking the teacher's wallet in a moment of weakness...and ecstatic thrill. Come join me as we find the boundaries of the rules and escalate into bigger and bigger crimes until the entire house of cards comes falling down.

I'll also be first to admit that I don't always feel like writing (and reading) something high-class. Sometimes I just want something stupid saccharine with the developmental depth of a penny; brain off, just write fluff, and give me a fluff character to go with it.
last edit on Nov 10, 2023 19:50:19 GMT by traveller
"You're a warrior, meant to lead the restโ”€ I don't know where I went wrong."
241written posts
The Lawearned bits
offlinecurrently
The Law
The Law Avatar
traveller Avatar
I like when characters have flaws that obstruct them in obtaining their goals. I see apps that ask you to balance negative and positive traits, but I find that difficult because, in my view, those are context-based, sometimes even in the eye of the beholder. An insanely stubborn character would be annoying as a younger sister; they'd probably make for a great heroine intent on revealing the evils of the empire. Stingy people might hate spending money on themselves, but delight in spending on others. Kind people can still unleash of a fury of which hell hath no.

My favourite sort of characters (I admit, not "good" necessarily) embrace that, and respect that not all traits are black-and-white. A baseline "good" roleplay character is, in my opinion, is one that is equally good at playing a protagonist's role as they are at playing the supporting character or antagonist.

And I adore characters that challenge themselves, or whose entire story is about changing. If I write Neil, the straight A student who never strays from the "right" path, I'd be thrilled to write him taking the teacher's wallet in a moment of weakness...and ecstatic thrill. Come join me as we find the boundaries of the rules and escalate into bigger and bigger crimes until the entire house of cards comes falling down.

I'll also be first to admit that I don't always feel like writing (and reading) something high-class. Sometimes I just want something stupid saccharine with the developmental depth of a penny; brain off, just write fluff, and give me a fluff character to go with it.

...Which reminds me of why I don't like writing in-depth personality writeups on character profiles. For these sections, I prefer to write just the passable minimum for the site's standards, and nothing beyond that. Because for me, I feel that the personality description should only serve as a "what to expect when interacting with this character", essentially a run-down or summary of their surface traits. As far as their innermost traits go... that's something I prefer to explore and develop in-RP than to put down on a character profile page; and yes, often their inner traits can be quite the opposite of their surface traits. I know some might argue that detailed writeups are useful for maintaining consistency, but I tend to beg to differ. Ergo, I feel "locked in" if I have to provide a very detailed personality writeup, since for me it feels like it means 'forcing' my character to develop along a predetermined or scripted path, which kinda sucks out a good deal of the fun, IMO. 
113written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
The Law Avatar
...Which reminds me of why I don't like writing in-depth personality writeups on character profiles. For these sections, I prefer to write just the passable minimum for the site's standards, and nothing beyond that. Because for me, I feel that the personality description should only serve as a "what to expect when interacting with this character", essentially a run-down or summary of their surface traits. As far as their innermost traits go... that's something I prefer to explore and develop in-RP than to put down on a character profile page; and yes, often their inner traits can be quite the opposite of their surface traits. I know some might argue that detailed writeups are useful for maintaining consistency, but I tend to beg to differ. Ergo, I feel "locked in" if I have to provide a very detailed personality writeup, since for me it feels like it means 'forcing' my character to develop along a predetermined or scripted path, which kinda sucks out a good deal of the fun, IMO. 
"I haven't revisited that character in years!"

"No, sir."

"My last app condemned him to be a sweetheart."

"Yes."

"I wrote, 'This character has finally found its rightful place in society: a kind character who always smiles.'"

"Yes."

"That is where I left it. That was my last word--the last word."

"Yes."

"Then tell me, Ambrister, how could it be GRUMPY?"
"You're a warrior, meant to lead the restโ”€ I don't know where I went wrong."