pronounsshe/her
1,326written posts
offlinecurrently
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
Part of the Furniture
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
Guidebooks are great and theyโ€™re not complicated to make

โ€ฆ But I am nostalgic and am fond of sites that use forums/threads. Even though itโ€™s not fun to open ten tabs at once.. or maybe it is. Or when i have to hunt for that one sentence i swore i read and it ends up in a different forum all together-

I know some sites still use forum/threads. Actually, i dont know how it is in proboards. Just been assuming jcink. So are guidebooks just superior in every way? Or does it not really matter which method you use for the site?
aliasAsk me~
pronounsHe or They
173written posts
Wraithearned bits
offlinecurrently
Wraith
Wraith Avatar
There's hope beyond this lone abyss.
For me...it depends how a guidebook is written. A guidebook that is hard to navigate isnโ€™t much better than having a bunch of threads scattered everywhere. But most guidebooks I encounter nowadays donโ€™t have that issue, so weโ€™re good there.

And when it comes down to threads โ€”I always preferred there being one for the required general lore and other for site functions & OoC stuff, and others for not-quite-required information for joining. As long as a longer thread has an index at the start of each post or somewhere easy to access, it wouldnโ€™t be that much of a pain to navigate. And for sites that allow player lore, threads are pretty useful for that too.

So overall, to me it doesnโ€™t really matter that much. CTRL+F is my friend when it comes down to both. Both guidebooks and threads can look good, be easy to read and navigate, it depends on the design. We can even do some fancy things with jcink with the coding for threads to make gudebook threads look different compared to regular threads.
Catscape Meow!
aliaspor, sef, jdawg
pronounsshe | her
525written posts
porsefearned bits
offlinecurrently
porsef
Part of the Furniture
porsef Avatar
chichi wo moge
im a big fan of guidebooks esp when its seamless tabbing instead of like... just reloading each new page. i know coding it in is an actual hot mess and a half in terms of actually inputting the data on the staff end. but lord as a user i am abso in favor of it.

threads are okay if it's a site that doesn't have a ton of lore and information needed to know. even a mix of both threads + guidebook can be good if done right.
local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
725written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
guidebook + webpage supremacy through and through. it just makes it so much easier to organize things, and i'll never go back to having a billion threads on site lol

kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,326written posts
offlinecurrently
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
Part of the Furniture
ugh i guess i'll code a guidebook then. i was lowkey just lazy

and maybe my subconscious desire for a billion threads to compartmentalize my thoughts is not necessarily healthy. maybe.
kmsdvlajvkefk
pronounsshe/her
1,326written posts
offlinecurrently
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
Part of the Furniture
Beetle Avatar
The site I'm currently working on is using threads instead of a webpage, just because I was lazy and it was easier to make mobile friendly.
*turns into astral goo to peek into your wip and absorb through osmosis how you organized it*
aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
217written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
Beetle Avatar
The site I'm currently working on is using threads instead of a webpage, just because I was lazy and it was easier to make mobile friendly.
*turns into astral goo to peek into your wip and absorb through osmosis how you organized it*
Everything in a single guidebook forum, except for the application which is in the registration forum and the store which is in the store forum.

Edit: Also to make it easier on desktop users, the staff account is coded to have all of the important links in the mini-profile

last edit on Nov 9, 2023 5:26:45 GMT by Beetle

Solar Waltz
, an 18+ panfandom set in nyc
kmsdvlajvkefk
pronounsshe/her
1,326written posts
offlinecurrently
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
Part of the Furniture
Beetle Avatar
Everything in a single guidebook forum, except for the application which is in the registration forum and the store which is in the store forum.

Edit: Also to make it easier on desktop users, the staff account is coded to have all of the important links in the mini-profile

will/does it have multiple posts in one thread?
aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
217written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
All of them only have one post per thread. Most of them aren't really long enough to justify needing more than one post. In the case of the mechanics thread, though, it's fairly long. The solution I came up with was making a sticky jump bar for it:

It looks like this on the mobile version:

Solar Waltz
, an 18+ panfandom set in nyc
kmsdvlajvkefk
pronounsshe/her
1,326written posts
offlinecurrently
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
Part of the Furniture
Beetle Avatar
All of them only have one post per thread. Most of them aren't really long enough to justify needing more than one post. In the case of the mechanics thread, though, it's fairly long. The solution I came up with was making a sticky jump bar for it:

It looks like this on the mobile version:
This has been very informative/comforting to know! Thank you for sharing! You bring a good point about it looking good in mobile! My design is also similar to yours (trying to be as simple and plain text as possible) so *_* 

Kinda ultimately undecided now...so I'll just try doing both for now and see where my gut takes me
aliasThe Moustachioed Greek
pronounshe/him
202written posts
Kostearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kost
Kost Avatar
D-d-digimon!
Nothing against threads, but guidebooks are superior. They're easier for members to read, and easier for staff to edit. Coding a guidebook can be a hassle, but once you get it to look just right, it's very rewarding. If you look around the interwebs, you can probably find a comprehensive tutorial on how to make a guidebook that's ALSO mobile-friendly.
kmsdvlajvkefk
pronounsshe/her
1,326written posts
offlinecurrently
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
Part of the Furniture
Kost Avatar
Nothing against threads, but guidebooks are superior. They're easier for members to read, and easier for staff to edit. Coding a guidebook can be a hassle, but once you get it to look just right, it's very rewarding. If you look around the interwebs, you can probably find a comprehensive tutorial on how to make a guidebook that's ALSO mobile-friendly.

Oh i know how to make a guidebook. But *throws hands* codingโ€ฆ and designingโ€ฆ and iโ€™m one of those who complain about having to skin but itโ€™s me who cares about tge design the most and i cannot be satisfied otherwise. All these valid points that i completely agree with are in a death match against my toxic relationship with web design
pronounsThey/Them
13written posts
Warriors_Weaverearned bits
offlinecurrently
Warriors_Weaver
Warriors_Weaver Avatar
I think, on some level, I "noticed" guidebooks, but it wasn't until I read this thread that it really clicked re: how many I've seen lately. I've been mostly out of the RP circuit for a few years now.

I think they're both great! Guidebooks look really nice and are certainly easier to jump back and forth with, but I probably wouldn't do them on a forum myself unless someone else did all the coding part for me, so for now I'll stick to having multiple threads.