aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,325written posts
offlinecurrently
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
Part of the Furniture
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
I know this has been discussed in other threads but iirc those aren't really about making plot pages to be a "hit." Personally, I don't really struggle to make them. I usually just make a rundown of my character and what could be interesting. And ideas that are in my mind... But do I think they're good? Yes... Do I think they're useful? ... I don't know.

I find plot pages useful for me personally. I like reading them, getting an idea of what they're looking for. Of course, I also read through their profile. I even check their threads first, too.

But I guess I'm looking for optimization now. Even though I enjoy this process, I'm wondering if there's a way to make it more successful, you know? So I'm looking for any suggestions people have. Or maybe what YOU'RE looking for in a plot page or something you've found helpful. And something you didn't.
local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
725written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
I hate writing plot pages, largely bc I feel like people don’t read them. I’ve had a lot more luck with wanted ads, tbh. But will I still make plot pages? Sure. Do I expect to get literally any responses? No, not really. It’s been my experience that I have to approach people with plot ideas, versus the other way around. I don’t know if that’s just bc I don’t write plot pages in a compelling way, or what, but it feels almost pointless 90% of the time. People can’t seem to be bothered to read other people’s apps, and I don’t think they read shippers much either.
last edit on Nov 14, 2023 15:22:11 GMT by sister ghoul

aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
217written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
I like the concept of plot pages, but ultimately I find them to be incredibly tedious at best and pointless at worst. I definitely agree with the idea that I like wanted ads more than plot pages and that I don't really ever expect responses to them.

The application system I've come to prefer is a freeform, and then a "plot hooks" section. Just a few bullet points of what sort of relationships you want, or where your character might be found, or what interests they might have that could encourage interactions. I prefer this, because a lot of the times when I have a new muse I don't feel like I have enough "meat" for a plot page? I have a handful of ideas I think might be fun in broad strokes but until I've actually used them it feels like plot pages are kind of useless starting out.

Solar Waltz
, an 18+ panfandom set in nyc
aliasAsk me~
pronounsHe or They
173written posts
Wraithearned bits
offlinecurrently
Wraith
Wraith Avatar
There's hope beyond this lone abyss.
The current format of plot pages was admittedly before my time, and it takes some adjustment now for me

Often what I used to do was to basically ask if anyone wanted to thread with my characters, then I’d read the character profiles of people who were all “yesss” and then present ideas that come up even if they didn’t have ideas. But that was mostly on sites where the ideas people had for characters were ones you could kinda glean from their profiles? If they had anything specific, they would make plot threads in the plot section of the forum, of course

But honestly most of my plots, back when I RP’d the most, happened spontaneously in open threads, and that’s ideal to me ...

Just, including what you want and throwing ideas out there, and openness for me to present my own, are what I really look for? I dunno, I’m the type of person who, if someone wants to write with me and I want to write with them (even though I have trouble approaching people first), I’m open to it

Should be noted I have yet to join a site that had those standardized plot pages (friends/enemies/lovers etc etc) so I can’t comment on how I feel about writing them. My idea of a plot page is to just throw a list of somewhat organized rambling out there for others to possibly latch onto while going “but also I’m open to other ideas so let me know!”
Catscape Meow!
aliasSola
pronounsthey/he
205written posts
Solaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sola
Sola Avatar
Tell me which you dread more ; the echo or the answer?
I'm so used to writing plot pages now that it's like ingrained in my blood. I always find writing the enemies/antagonistic section a lot easier than writing the others. I used to not really understand their purpose, because I came from tumblr RP where if you had an idea you just sorta threw it out into the wind or plotted it out with someone. 

Do I think they're useful? Sometimes. I think they're less useful in terms of plots and more useful for lining out the personality of your character. It's easy to to tell who they'll be in a friendly setting but the antagonistic and romantic sections are always interesting to look into because I really think that's the nitty gritty of a character's personality. I personally don't post in shipper/plot pages because my ideas get really jumbled.

So yes/no I like it/don't like it. 
last edit on Nov 16, 2023 19:32:28 GMT by Sola