aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,329written posts
offlinecurrently
add the regression tag
Part of the Furniture
add the regression tag Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
so this is specifically about roleplaying. and i think others experienced something like this, so i'm wondering what they've done about it.

i would have these experiences where my rp partner and i seem like we have a blast rping. then suddenly, they're just more reticent? and even when i've approached them, they told me it's cool and they really loved it. of course, i have to believe that. and the initial feeling is, whew! i'm glad i just imagined it.

but then i looked back on it again and i'm like... did i really? like, usually i do assume something just came up in their life. or they're just anxious. but now it makes ME anxious thinking about it lmao. like yeah, i've done my part! i asked! and it's not like we were close, but we totally got along too before the "mixed signal" stuff. i don't know - am i missing some insight about it? cause i do feel like i'll probably run into something like this again and i want to prepare myself better about it.
115written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
I think I have done this sometimes. Not consciously and intentionally. If you reference some of the threads here about "good roleplay partners" and such, you'll see a lot of people mention they want to "vibe" with their roleplay partner.

So I'm autistic. I express my excitement differently from most people: either it's my hyper-focus and you'll see me talk for hours on end, or it's just something I'm keen on and you'd probably find it difficult to tell I'm excited. I collect music boxes, and for Christmas my brothers all got me a music box. Surrounded by beloved music boxes, I was in bliss.

My brothers couldn't tell if I liked it or was extremely disappointed.

Why am I telling you this? Well, partially ADHD so I get distracted easily, but also to illustrate my point. So when I match with a roleplayer, and I know most like enthusiastic, cheerful writers, I tend to "roleplay" being such a writer in order to establish that first contact. But it takes quite some energy out of me, and it's not sustainable in the long term, so once I've, uh, hooked you in, I tend to rely on that first burst of enthusiastic exchange to coast us through to the end, while personally remaining enthusiastic even if I don't express it with the same intensity as before.

I used to have a friend in League of Legends who would talk to me every day about all sorts of things, and at first I reciprocated enthusiastically...but after a while, that wasn't sustainable, he found me reticent, and we wound up drifting apart because he felt I didn't want to be friends and I couldn't keep it up that long. Sometimes I'm just out of spoons to spend.

Uh, basically, sometimes you can believe people at their word when they say they're still enthusiastic even if they don't express it emotionally in the way you expect. Some of us are wired differently, and I suspect neurodivergence is overrepresented in this hobby to begin with. Can't speak for everyone, though. I think the best preparation you can do is work out for yourself what makes you excited to continue roleplaying. I don't think it's necessarily wrong if you break off a contact because it's making you miserable or anxious, even if the other party can't help it.

I'm not sure if I should share this because I am not entirely comfortable putting a target on myself like this, but I guess you also can't expect understanding without opening up a bit.
"Since you claim you're so much wiser, why's your life spent all alone?"
kmsdvlajvkefk
pronounsshe/her
1,329written posts
offlinecurrently
add the regression tag
Part of the Furniture
traveller Avatar
I'm not sure if I should share this because I am not entirely comfortable putting a target on myself like this, but I guess you also can't expect understanding without opening up a bit.

i'm also in the spectrum! the joyous disastrous couple of autism and adhd. i am honestly the same. i am actually a very excited fellow but i try not to "burst" my energy. i've had to clarify multiple times that i am excited, but i usually don't like expressing it, weirdly. it's just from bad experience. i found that my energy has scared people off? or that i felt disappointed by their reaction. but it's also for rping in general- i don't like "hyping" too far.

so i 100% get what you mean. but ironically enough, i didn't consider the folks i had thought from this question might be in the spectrum too. but there is one person i have thought who might be so... i'll close the case on them. obviously just a wild guess/assumption but it does relieve me knowing there is an explanation, even if uncomfirmed lol.

thanks for sharing your insight! you putting yourself out there has helped this fellow <3
115written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
traveller Avatar
it's just from bad experience. i found that my energy has scared people off? or that i felt disappointed by their reaction. 

I suspect being anxious whether we've nailed the footwork in the dance of social interaction is a trait that haunts many of us on the spectrum. So I'm almost 90% sure you're anxious because you worry you've done something wrong and are the cause of the reticence. I've been there. But I don't think the onus of managing a proper relation should be on only one person. It takes two to dance, so I hope you can also keep your chin up and keep in mind that even if you do everything perfectly and are the greatest friend this side of the milky way, there'll still be people who pull away and aren't feeling it.

It's not always you. Sometimes, it really is them.
kmsdvlajvkefk
pronounsshe/her
1,329written posts
offlinecurrently
add the regression tag
Part of the Furniture
traveller Avatar
it's just from bad experience. i found that my energy has scared people off? or that i felt disappointed by their reaction. 
I suspect being anxious whether we've nailed the footwork in the dance of social interaction is a trait that haunts many of us on the spectrum. So I'm almost 90% sure you're anxious because you worry you've done something wrong and are the cause of the reticence. I've been there. But I don't think the onus of managing a proper relation should be on only one person. It takes two to dance, so I hope you can also keep your chin up and keep in mind that even if you do everything perfectly and are the greatest friend this side of the milky way, there'll still be people who pull away and aren't feeling it.

Mmm sorry but i think i am the 10% of your assumption haha. I did talk to these people first and they did tell me it’s all cool. They stopped responding to me after that xD so i don’t think it’s my anxiety that caused them to back away. I’m not trying to be their friend and I don’t even view myself as a particularly great one. Just thought it was weird that they just suddenly seemed to have lost interest. Or never reached out to me again.
115written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
traveller Avatar

Mmm sorry but i think i am the 10% of your assumption haha. I did talk to these people first and they did tell me it’s all cool. They stopped responding to me after that xD so i don’t think it’s my anxiety that caused them to back away. I’m not trying to be their friend and I don’t even view myself as a particularly great one. Just thought it was weird that they just suddenly seemed to have lost interest. Or never reached out to me again.
This is why I am never 100% on anything. Well, shucks, I don't know what to tell you then. I wonder if they just lost interest but want to avoid the confrontation by not admitting it.
kmsdvlajvkefk
pronounsshe/her
1,329written posts
offlinecurrently
add the regression tag
Part of the Furniture
traveller Avatar
This is why I am never 100% on anything. Well, shucks, I don't know what to tell you then. I wonder if they just lost interest but want to avoid the confrontation by not admitting it.

oh you’re fine! You already helped me! Your first post had wise words in it; i didnt get to highlight it bc i was too excited to reply haha.

I don’t think they lost interest though. It might be possible they were disappointed by my last reply though, which was a vibe i did get. For sure it’s happened before, and one time, it happened with someone who turned out to be a nasty fellow. Our characters were flirting (kinda planned) it was fun but my character didnt push through and i sensed that disappointed heavily. And the whole mood of the thread change.

But they were a nasty fellow so they don’t really count. But idk i know the way i write is a bit different from others but i love my way of doing things. It can be awfully disappointing when the other doesn’t enjoy it as much as i do. Which is why sometimes i pretend to not care 🗿
the chalk prince
aliasrook
pronounsthey / them
924written posts
citrinitasearned bits
offlinecurrently
citrinitas
Part of the Furniture
citrinitas Avatar
i still fall for you like suns do for skies.
i will have to reiterate what's already been said in this thread.
basically, sometimes you can believe people at their word when they say they're still enthusiastic even if they don't express it emotionally in the way you expect.
each and every single one of us have had unique experiences in life. sure, some of us may have had similar things happen but they were not the exact same down to every minute action. those things shape us and how we react to things. they also determine how we display our reactions, which can come varied from one person alone. some of us, as already mentioned, are neurodivergent and are sometimes too low on spoons to put on a mask. that in of itself is one of the most loneliest, isolating experiences because we feel trapped in our own heads, unable to properly express our excitement due to exhaustion.

and i'm not referring to exhaustion in the physical sense, but the social, emotional, and mental sense. we are already expected to put on faces for our daily life, in the physical realm, that sometimes it can be hard to put that face back on for the sake of our friends. it's up to you how to respond, of course, but with all that in mind the answer should be simple. patience is important as much as it is to be understanding. if you're understanding yet you lack the patience, you're going to be counterproductive to helping your partner who may be going through similar things that you are. understanding is only half the battle, you have to understand to be patient.

all that to say... even if it's about our hobby and things we're genuinely excited for, patience and understanding go hand in hand. patience and understanding for your partner but also for yourself. the world is a scary place, after all! we can't expect to be bubbly and happy all the time.
last edit on Nov 19, 2023 16:33:52 GMT by citrinitas
pronounsshe/her
194written posts
scarletearned bits
offlinecurrently
scarlet
scarlet Avatar
Another angle on this topic: Some of my favorite writing partners I've ever had are people I didn't talk to much OOCly. I shipped with someone for, uh, seven years? And we knew passing things about one another OOC, but the majority of our conversations were, "Hey want to do X plot? Okay, cool, when are you free?"

I think sometimes people feel they have to be OOCly always available and chatty and enthusiastic to be a 'good' RP partner, and that's not only unsustainable for many people, but also simply not true. I think writing speaks for itself. Good roleplay partners give you good content to respond to, and communicate with you about anything like absences, or desires to change direction in storytelling.

I've often been surprised to learn people think I'm upset with them, or assume I don't want to plot anymore, and their reasoning was because I hadn't reached out for a thread in awhile. They're even writers I feel I give my 'best' to, and who have some of my favorite threads! But again, the OOC weight given to socializing and to conveying enthusiasm can create a false sense that the other roleplayer isn't interested, and all you can do is hope people believe you when you give them your answers. I try to be honest when confronted, too, and admit things like 'My current plot didn't seem like it would be fun for you.' It goes both ways.

Final thought: It's unhealthy to play the game of hypervigilance where you try and guess what other people "really mean." I say this as a hypervigilant person who tries too hard to make other people comfortable. Shouldn't we expect people to advocate for themselves and their wants? If we expect people to be honest, then we should take their words at face value until proven otherwise. We cannot (and shouldn't!) be mind readers who perfectly navigate every hurdle without fail. That's just not realistic, and what's worse, it's exhausting. And silently teaches people being passive aggressive is the way to get you to change your behavior.
kmsdvlajvkefk
pronounsshe/her
1,329written posts
offlinecurrently
add the regression tag
Part of the Furniture
Appreciate the thoughts! I know it was ultimately a “me” problem. Despite understanding logically that there could be a thousand reasons, it still wasn’t easy. And honestly, given that this vibe I had actually turned out to be right too, I guess i shouldn’t be too hard on myself. I guess my feelings of anxiety were just from being blindsided repeatedly. People who you think are cool with you and you have mo beef against, then they reveal their true colors and don’t even bother you with a conversation. I don’t try to be friends with everyone but I try to get along. I naively think as fellow writers in a niche hobby who use it as an escape from reality, we would be understanding to each other. I wouldnt bother to understand you if you were an ah but if i thought we were cool, that’s what gets to me. That’s when i try to read if i did something wrong…

Anyway i have resolved my internal conflicts 😌 even if i still am unsure at the end, thats just what it is. Everyone’s tired
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
I think part of the problem here is Ask culture vs. Guess culture. For those unfamiliar with the terms, Ask cultures are cultures where people are straightforward with their feelings, while Guess cultures are cultures where people state their feelings indirectly through social cues.

The problem is that Guess cultures do not work on the Internet. You miss out on so many variables – body language, for instance – that serve as cues in Guess culture. Like, seriously, it’s not like real life where we’re exposed to one another face-to-face all the time. So my opinion is that we should nix Guess culture altogether and rely on directly stating how we feel.

Honestly, I used to be mad at a few people in this community for being direct with me, but now I consider it a sign of respect. It’s as simple as telling me directly “hey, your behavior is a problem and you should change it” or even “hey, your behavior is a problem and I think you should leave.”

I have neither the time nor the patience to deal with people who rely on oblique hints to get their points across. I’d much rather that people tell me up-front when they don’t like me; it’s a lot better than just keeping quiet and letting the problem fester, then just getting rid of me one day when all parties involved already have bad blood.

At the end of the day, I’ve got much, much bigger problems to deal with than petty anime forum drama – problems which I can’t get in-depth into for multiple reasons, but which suffice to say dwarf said drama considerably. I’d rather keep things as direct as possible. And yes, bad actors are going to take advantage of that, but…bad actors are going to find a way to act in bad faith regardless of whatever countermeasures you put up.
last edit on Nov 25, 2023 14:38:44 GMT by Deleted