write a reply

experience of being an esl rper

kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,333written posts
offlinecurrently
emotional over wallace event/alt
even though im technically esl, i do feel like i don't have it as hard as other esl who has to learn the language from scratch, especially on their own. i'm technically bilingual since in the philippines, english and filipino are spoken in a day-to-day basis here and schools mandate strong english fluency. 

english has been my strongest subject in school but apparently, it doesn't translate as well in writing. when i tried writing in my native language for fun, i didn't expect it to be so simple and fluid. my filipino isn't great and i don't even read filipino books to practice my vocabulary. i realized that my writing is largely influenced by my mother tongue's emotional trait. i'm wordy, because in filipino, you emphasize things by repeating words. formal filipino is also naturally lengthy, but it sounds elegant. it's different in english, where brevity and precision is considered the hallmark of mastery of language. 

a lot of filipino words and saying also relate to the heart and emotions; i noticed then that i write that way in english. it was interesting and eye-opening realizing how my culture is still brought over when translated without me realizing it.

i'm terrible at idioms and i feel like i shouldn't have to learn them because that's deeply rooted in western culture >> why should i work hard to pick it up and ingrain it in my writing... i'll just translate our local idioms haha

so any other esl rpers here in pixel with some experience or realization they have rping in english?
118written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
i feel like i shouldn't have to learn them because that's deeply rooted in western culture >>

I keep insisting I don't need to learn western social customs because that's too deeply rooted in western culture, but then they insist I have to be "polite"...

Jokes aside, I think learning idioms is always useful, since they tell you a lot about the culture you're interacting with, and it's just cool to be able to use them if you want to (and choose not to use them most the time because they're lame).

My experience with ESL has mostly been that a lot of people put a lot of value on being a native speaker, and then nine out of ten times, native speakers make you wonder just how they manage to survive communicating in their own language.
"Since you claim you're so much wiser, why's your life spent all alone?"
pronounsshe / her
398written posts
Ven โ˜†earned bits
offlinecurrently
Ven โ˜†
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
Ven โ˜† Avatar
got a secret, can you keep it?
(eyyyy fellow Filipino here too )

Okay so in my case, the funny thing is English was my first language (clarifications below)โ€”though a lot of people expected it to be Tagalog / Filipino (same hat) but I grew up in a family that valued English a lot, so likeโ€ฆ

English is my first spoken and written language; while Tagalog / Filipino is my first understood (comprehendable? Is that even a word???) language since even if the people here at home donโ€™t talk in English all the time, I can understand what they meanโ€ฆ

Kind of like how your brain can easily flip between one language and another? (if that even made sense)

(and then it so happened I went to a school that taught in English for most of my life so I had the nastiest shock of my life when I had to learn Filipino / Tagalog in what, grade 3, 4, 5? Around that time just to keep up because we had some classes that were not taught in English so ahahaโ€ฆ)

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
English is technically my first language but I was learning it alongside spanish. I was born in Puerto Rico but english was commonly spoken. The problem tho I had was the fact, if anyone knows a boricua we speak slang/improper spanish. So it was absolutely hell when I had to take spanish classes in the states. Honestly the spanish in the US is like, who speaks this proper??? Meanwhile my english was decent, it's better now but before? Boy I struggled to pronounce things like 'ax' and 'ask' :T you can only imagine how many people chuckled when I needed to 'ax a question'. There are times I still use the wrong english word or forget how to say/write things in english but remember it in spanish so I'm constantly looking up words/asking people what's so-n-so. Honestly I don't mind and people seem happy to help me out, but I've learned a lot from rp'ing in the english community.
aliasnikki/nikz
pronounsshe, they
76written posts
hotaryuearned bits
offlinecurrently
hotaryu
hotaryu Avatar
one day!
Filipino here, too! In my experience, I tend to draw a lot of language and themes from Filipino culture. The hard part is getting to translate them more concisely with my RP partners.

English has always been one of my strongest subjects in school and my coming from a relatively elite/prestigious academic institutions all my life have played a huge part in my English. During my time in the academia, I never had problems with English. I got into clubs where you were required to have good English, and in college, I made money off my English communication skills and it helped keep me alive and put food in my belly during the pandemic.

However, emotional brevity has always been something that I brought to the table as an RPer, and it's why also Taylor Swift resonates so well to Filipinos.

I brought to forum RP a friend who was also Filipino, but unlike me, they had trouble with language, and grammar and diction (they were smart enough to study in one of the state universities), and the difficulties with written communication have played a part in how well their applications and RPing read.

There are times that I've found it tricky to keep up with the current slang in English in US English, but it's manageable.

kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,333written posts
offlinecurrently
emotional over wallace event/alt
to my filipino homies

aliasnikki/nikz
pronounsshe, they
76written posts
hotaryuearned bits
offlinecurrently
hotaryu
hotaryu Avatar
one day!

HELP LAUGHING

Ngl the first thing I thought about this was the old Filipino movie that featured gay dads.

pronounsshe / her
398written posts
Ven โ˜†earned bits
offlinecurrently
Ven โ˜†
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
Ven โ˜† Avatar
got a secret, can you keep it?

:wheeze:

I totally had a comment half-typed in Tagalog before I realized โ€˜waitโ€ฆ wrong language oopsโ€™ and decided to condense it into a single emoji I use all the time

BC ITโ€™S TRUE
last edit on Mar 4, 2024 17:15:35 GMT by Ven โ˜†