the things to love in writing in "edgy" sites

kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,333written posts
offlinecurrently
💖 ❇️ baa ~ dumm! ❇️ 💖 Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
This isn't in any way a shade to anyone who prefers to write in a calm and peaceful settings. We have different moods for everything. In what we read, in what we play, and of course, what we write.

But I know sites focused on conflicts and grand concepts can get too "shounen-like", far from reality and stepping into the zone of fantasy beyond us ordinary people. Things like global politics, inter-dimensional combat, ideals and principles with karmic weight, and things like destiny. I can totally get why they seem over-the-top to step in. Like, why can't we have something simple and easy to comprehend? Why can't we focus on making giant pizzas before a nice autumn backdrop instead?

Because, to me, the value of making a giant pizza in a troubled, chaotic world far outweighs doing it in a safe and uncomplicated setting.

When I join sites with tension and clear conflict, I don't focus on tackling larger-to-life problems. What I love about conflict-focused settingss is that I can depict how ordinary life changes, and how it persists no matter the circumstances.

Growing up, I've always hated slice-of-life. I thought they were boring. I like action. I grew up watching space drama with Gundam and existential angst from Digimon. But older now, I realized the best part about them that I liked the most was when they acted like me. Like human beings. Despite these global crisis and these supernatural things beyond them, I can see how friendship persists. How family bonds continue to thrive. How people seek normalcy, and how people truly live with a little light in them amidst dark times. I love thes stories because they teach me - remind me - of values and moments I take granted of IRL.

To some, it's a mood whiplash. It seems silly, unrealiastic. But imo the truth is, edginess and silliness are two sides of the same coin. When I was saying goodbye to my dog, sobbing and crying my heart out, his last moments was to sneeze at me and chomp on reese chocolate relentlessly. As a writer, you might find that painful. You didn't get to make it a perfect scene to really make the audience cry. Or to make it the perfect flashback to drive the character further on the edge, bit by bit. But I think we shouldn't focus too much on the reader reaction. Just more humanity, not because it's realistic or relatable. But because humanity makes things more unexpectd.

I don't know how else to go on from this topic, but I just wanted to share my thoughts. Maybe reflecting a bit, as every writer does. Made me think about things I like to read/watch/consume, and why I write certain things. Feel free to hijack this thread with your own experience writing in "edgy" sites!
aliasxeno
pronounsshe/her
12written posts
xenoearned bits
offlinecurrently
xeno
xeno Avatar
personally, the part i like most about rping is being part of a grand narrative. i think you can achieve the kinds of things you described even in an "edgy" site. in a lot of jrpgs your characters can do silly side quests before they go and kill god; they are not mutually exclusive things.

i always prefer forums with an overarching site plot/big, probably unrealistic focus because you can always do slice of life type stuff in them, but not necessarily the other way around.
last edit on Apr 14, 2024 19:39:09 GMT by xeno
aliasclock
pronounsShe/Her
25written posts
clockearned bits
offlinecurrently
clock
clock Avatar

people writing slice of life on a slice of life site vs people writing slice of life on an "edgy" site

I'm sorry, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to meme. XD

This post really had me thinking on my experience in regular real life/slice of life and more action/political roleplays in regards to conflict that I'd like to reflect on! What I've noticed (and to reiterate again, through my own experience) is that conflict in SOL settings, amongst characters than a plot wide type, is that SOL you don't really have any room to go crazy with conflict because everything is normal. A little too normal. Even if there is conflict or there is room to create conflict, it can't go all out, if you will.

Then you'll run into another problem of whether or not characters would be able to participate or somehow fit themselves into your own character's conflict. AND on top of that, your character could be an outcast because they don't necessarily fit with other characters, THEN you might have to water it down just so you won't sit there with 0 activity from your character. Conflict is definitely possible and can be fun (I'd know!), but you really got tread lightly and question whether or not you're willing to step out of your comfort zone.

Action stuff... pretty self-explanatory. There's a lot more room for conflict and the types of conflict to create and partake in. You can get away more with some obscurity because this isn't a mundane setting you're dealing with. You're not dealing with (some of the time) normal people you'd see walking down the street. The stakes are higher and there's more to lose, which is what I love writing on action-based/political sites!

I LOVE gambling with the idea of a powerful character losing it all. Just to reiterate on what I've said on another thread, nothing's more intriguing to me than someone who's had it all, at the top of their game, only to lose it because their head is so far in their ass they can't see anything but their own shit. On top of that? Trying to climb back at the top. It's just a fun little plot to play out and I'm not at all uncomfortable with putting any of my character's in uncompromising positions; this also goes for a SOL setting as well.