write a reply

mechanics for harvest moon/story of seasons rp...?

aliasfee-fee
pronounsshe/her
29written posts
offlinecurrently

Hello, everyone!! Coffee here โ™ก 

I'm in the middle of putting together a lax harvest moon/story of seasons rp and I really need some advice about the potential mechanics I could do! I notice a trend where a lot of slice of life forums are only ever character-driven, and because of that, don't tend to last very long -- and don't get me wrong, I love the character dynamics, development, and story progression that comes with any character-driven, relaxed rp! But, I really would love to integrate some sort of mechanics system that doesn't take a lot of heavy lifting or math/numbers, but can still be fun and rewarding for people who want to write chill small town vibes and participate in the overall story. I just don't want anyone to feel like they're playing the game, but want to be able to measure the amount of magic you (your character) can bring to the town, and maybe even different tiers/levels of skills and tools, and what you could buy in the shop, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas for this sort of thing and how it could work? I'm hoping for a system that doesn't involve dice... maybe like characters could advance through activity/posting and participation in events??

Thank you very much for reading! Any and all thoughts/ideas are appreciated โ™ก
aliaspor, sef, jdawg
pronounsshe | her
526written posts
porsefearned bits
offlinecurrently
porsef
Part of the Furniture
porsef Avatar
chichi wo moge
it's hard for me to think about without making the roleplay like a game. but i think a feature that would be attractive to me is community goals. these goals would contribute to adding a feature to town that wasn't there before. these might enable a new event to occur or a new shop to open up. for example:

- some projects might require characters to donate straight currency. like the town building a museum and that introducing artifact hunting or just... a compendium that characters can contribute to.
- some might require an amount of specific items bought from the store for a recipe. this might unlock a feature that makes town life easier or a new barn/coop animal to collect.
- others could be unlocked through a certain amount of posts in a thread. ie. everyone posting in a community garden thread and at the end of the month, earning crops/items to use or sell. even just site currency.

not sure on how to incentivize sole character upgrade purchases w/o having game mechanics but i do believe community contributions of some kind would be neat to see.
pronounsshe/her
97written posts
mellowโ™กearned bits
offlinecurrently
mellowโ™ก
mellowโ™ก Avatar
not quite what you're asking, but to offer my own perspective, mechanics aren't really what keep me on a site.

events that alter the setting do.

even in harvest moon, you're playing the game with a purpose beyond yourself. there's a town to restore, a goddess to revive, or broken relationships between towns that need mending. what helps most is to have a goal, and to see payoff for that goal.

events that would keep me around would be things like preparing for a storm, repairing damage from a natural disaster, tracking down a potential "thief," or trying to find a hidden treasure somewhere within an old town.

i recall one site i had joined a while back that would have different disasters that would be isolated to specific housing districts. setting up for people to be able to participate in threads centered around a power outages, helping friends clean up after the river flooded their homes, or looking for lost sheep after a forest fire saw them scatter to the woods would all be great prompts that i'd be interested in taking part in and could definitely help to make a character feel like part of a greater community.

while leveling up tools and crops gives you personal goals to work toward, if it's something that isn't leaving an impact on the site, it can lead to feelings of isolation. shonen sites often have power ups for purchase, but suffer from a similar problem. the setting itself is static, the rewards are geared toward the individual, and in the end - you're left with nowhere to grow.
aliasfee-fee
pronounsshe/her
29written posts
offlinecurrently

thank you and ! It has been super helpful and enlightening, and I really appreciate your input/opinons. I will be considering these while I knead this idea into dough and continue building the world/setting.

I think what I have been struggling with most is how to create communal goals and intertwine them with light mechanics. Whether or not members should be able to purchase animals (which I personally don't like the idea of), or only limit them to certain animals, crops, recipes, etc. that coincide with their upgrades and their level (ie, someone at the "bronze" tier can only have chickens, cats, dogs, etc. and can only make certain dishes, etc.). But, i feel like doing this takes away from creativity, fluidity, and freedom of having characters interact with certain things -- or maybe that would be part of the incentive? I don't want it to seem "game-y" or "grindy", but still want to incorporate something substantial for characters to work towards inside and outside of communal goals. 
last edit on Apr 26, 2024 11:04:07 GMT by โ coffee & tea