659written posts
valkaearned bits
offlinecurrently
valka
Administrator
valka Avatar
do u know... la-hee?

this occurred to me last night when i was trying to fall asleep but

it bothers me when people change aspects of the application. like, changing the colours of the application, or changing fonts, or adding in fields on the 'basic info' area. like, in the freeform bio section (if it's a freeform app), by all means do what you want, but keep it to that part of the app. don't go changing overall design aspects. there's a reason why the app is like that - especially with colours/fonts, since those are going to change with each skin so that it will match the rest of the site.

thankfully this has only rarely happened to me, but it does drive me bonkers x.x

last edit on Aug 13, 2018 13:37:48 GMT by valka
if you think i haven't been keeping up with pp, think again
pronounsshe / her
398written posts
Ven ☆earned bits
offlinecurrently
Ven ☆
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
Ven ☆ Avatar
got a secret, can you keep it?
This happened to me (past and present):

- when you're one of the main site admins but someone from the lower staff tier takes over and accuses you wrongly of doing stuff you never did...what?
- the fact that even your writing partner, who is also a staff member, gets shafted in a similar manner (he joined Staff later than I did, but we ended up absconding altogether from that place because it wasn't conducive anymore)
- activity checks. the BANE of anyone's existence. Like bruh, c'mon.
- when you miss one bracket of code and then half the board gets nuked by accident and you cannot remember where the hell that stupid missing piece of code was. absolute WORST
- overcontrolling and extremely assuming fellow staff members who falsely accuse other people of doing stuff that they'd never done (this happened to me recently. Blergh)

phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,232written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
me: i happen to like humanity at this particular moment in time
sb: *asks a really stupid question that's covered at least 4 times across the site*
me: pull the trigger piglet

no but for real, by this point, i feel like anyone who's a good staffer would do okay in customer service or retail since imo it's not a one-to-one experience but it feels like it would be approximately the same drain on my soul. only, y'know, staffing is a volunteer thing where we're not getting paid.

......... i just suddenly had a want for a "customer service / retail or staffing" thread but then i remembered that i'm supposed to like humanity.

Army-Crushing Star
pronounsSey/Sem
274written posts
Benetnaschearned bits
offlinecurrently
Benetnasch
Benetnasch Avatar
All my attempts to rp end in failure, so now I'm a solo act.
Kuroya Avatar

2) when you're on a staff team of 3+ people but you're the only one who gets any work done in this dang house.

This resonates deeply with me. I was on a team of 5+ staff members, yet I was the only doing claims on our high maintenance site, such as: marketplace trades, crafting claims, level progression claims (which meant checking listed posts and threads, gathering word counts and converting them into points), while also actively rping with our members. If I wanted my own stuff processed, I either had to hop onto the Helper Mod profile we had where a few trusted members would help out on the forum (that's how you know it's bad), or motivate someone to do it for me.

When I eventually stepped down and went on hiatus for nearly a year, the other mods were forced to pick up some of the slack. Was quite chuffed (and a bit surprised) to see that I'd won "Best Mod" on site when I came back. I'd only kept at it so long because my members were sympathetic and appreciative.
4,232written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
Benetnasch Avatar
This resonates deeply with me. I was on a team of 5+ staff members, yet I was the only doing claims on our high maintenance site, such as: marketplace trades, crafting claims, level progression claims (which meant checking listed posts and threads, gathering word counts and converting them into points), while also actively rping with our members. If I wanted my own stuff processed, I either had to hop onto the Helper Mod profile we had where a few trusted members would help out on the forum (that's how you know it's bad), or motivate someone to do it for me.

When I eventually stepped down and went on hiatus for nearly a year, the other mods were forced to pick up some of the slack. Was quite chuffed (and a bit surprised) to see that I'd won "Best Mod" on site when I came back. I'd only kept at it so long because my members were sympathetic and appreciative.

i have a feeling i know exactly what site it is since i'm 99.9% sure i was on it too and had the exact same issue before it got "that bad". like if it is, then uh..... yeah uh now it's out there for a large part of why i'd left.

but i really hate when that situation happens since just. it's such a pain. i hate feeling like i'm the only one who does anything on the site or that the only reason i have anyone else staffing on the site is so that i can get my things processed. it's.... better now, in a sense, than it was a couple years ago for me, if only because i'm no longer running mod-heavy sites more or less single-handedly. but it's still so frustrating when i keep having to have talks with the staff about how it's been months since anyone else has actually processed an application, i'm feeling burned out trying to wade through them all (especially the bad ones), and that's not including updating claims, helping with events, doing advertisements, running activity checks, etc, etc. and it's even more frustrating to come back a week later and see that nothing's changed, the help has dropped off again.

just. let's just say that there's a reason why i automate as much as physically possible on a site and minimize the amount of modding that needs to be done. and that there's a reason why if i ever go back to pokemon, i'm seriously debating having an actual staff activity requirement to keep your modding position (or opening up rolling to general members).

everyone, please respect staff members on a site. especially if they're the ones you see all over the site all the time. they are probably tired physically and mentally. be gentle to them. do not guilt them if they have off days where they can't get to what you need to do. be patient with them when they're not emotionally available to process your things. they are running an entire world on their shoulders for free, and they are doing it all while putting up with all kinds of crap. please, for the love of all that is holy, be kind to them, they are trying their best, thank them for it or at least don't make their lives any more stressful than it already is.
last edit on Aug 13, 2018 16:08:08 GMT by Kuroya

pronounsshe/her
62written posts
meleearned bits
offlinecurrently
mele
mele Avatar
I know this is prolly a bad thing to be complaining about, but on legit every site I adminned on, there would be a newbie rper that'd join that'd be absolutely useless. Like I don't mind new rpers and I honestly welcome them because rping is fun, but this person that'd join would just... Oh God. First, they'd come onto the site asking if the site is active (which is a bad sign already). Then they'd need help making a mini profile pic as well as icons for the app template as well. Which is fine. Except they'd just...

me: Do you have a Windows computer?
them: Yes.
me: Okay this will be easy then. *makes a picture step by step guide on how to crop pictures using MSPaint and resizing with an online program*
them: My computer doesn't have MSPaint.
me: Well there is another program called Gimp and--
them: My computer can't run that...
me: Well there's this online program called Pixlr and--
them: My computer can't do that. :/

Then after that fiasco where I'd be basically forced to make all of their pictures for them using an fc from the 90s, I'd show them how to delete the quote tags from the application template to post it. But somehow my simple message won't get across and they'd somehow destroy the whole template a million times over. Then after fixing the app coding for them, they'd make a character that's a godmodding, unrealistic, uncanonical, Mary Sue.

And it's just... so tiring. Every single site I've adminned on, someone like that joined and it's just??? IDK HOW? ARE THEY ALL THE SAME PERSON? WHO KNOWS OTL

But as for other pet peeves, I hate it when I'm staffing with other people and they always manage to do link backs or accept apps before me. Like I'll always be a minute too late and my fellow staffer will do the work and I'll feel so USELESS. LIKE LEAVE SOME WORK FOR ME TOO!!
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
mele Avatar
I know this is prolly a bad thing to be complaining about, but on legit every site I adminned on, there would be a newbie rper that'd join that'd be absolutely useless. Like I don't mind new rpers and I honestly welcome them because rping is fun, but this person that'd join would just... Oh God. First, they'd come onto the site asking if the site is active (which is a bad sign already). Then they'd need help making a mini profile pic as well as icons for the app template as well. Which is fine. Except they'd just...

me: Do you have a Windows computer?
them: Yes.
me: Okay this will be easy then. *makes a picture step by step guide on how to crop pictures using MSPaint and resizing with an online program*
them: My computer doesn't have MSPaint.
me: Well there is another program called Gimp and--
them: My computer can't run that...
me: Well there's this online program called Pixlr and--
them: My computer can't do that. :/

Then after that fiasco where I'd be basically forced to make all of their pictures for them using an fc from the 90s, I'd show them how to delete the quote tags from the application template to post it. But somehow my simple message won't get across and they'd somehow destroy the whole template a million times over. Then after fixing the app coding for them, they'd make a character that's a godmodding, unrealistic, uncanonical, Mary Sue.

And it's just... so tiring. Every single site I've adminned on, someone like that joined and it's just??? IDK HOW? ARE THEY ALL THE SAME PERSON? WHO KNOWS OTL

But as for other pet peeves, I hate it when I'm staffing with other people and they always manage to do link backs or accept apps before me. Like I'll always be a minute too late and my fellow staffer will do the work and I'll feel so USELESS. LIKE LEAVE SOME WORK FOR ME TOO!!

Oh don't I know this all too well!!! Change one minor detail on my end, the person had been role-playing for not sure but nearly 6 years. They asked me to do everything and continually told me they had no idea what to do, even if they'd just done it a few days ago with no issues... like huh why ... just why.  

Also for some reason I always seem to slammed down as the one to find everyone's face claims.. just cos I got nice characters. 

Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,750written posts
Chibi Magicianearned bits
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
When members do not check the face claim and just presume a face is open. This annoys me because not only is it problematic to me, but also the member who placed all that effort in, yet, ignored the claim. I mostly dislike this because checking the claim itself is not difficult and can even be done prior to registration.
UMBRA
ic for a dystopian fantasy role-play
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Chibi Magician Avatar
When members do not check the face claim and just presume a face is open. This annoys me because not only is it problematic to me, but also the member who placed all that effort in, yet, ignored the claim. I mostly dislike this because checking the claim itself is not difficult and can even be done prior to registration.

YES!! I even had a member ask me.. to ask another member if they could change their face claim.. so they could use it. No you didn't read that wrong.  What ... the actual duck. *Quack* 

New one or old one I've probably said it before but centre of attention types, like the site rises and sets in their glory and would not survive without them. Oh and when they act shocked or surprised when you make a small change or a theme change and are like why didn't you ask.. 

aliaskappaccino
pronounsthey
283written posts
kappaccinoearned bits
offlinecurrently
kappaccino
kappaccino Avatar
welcome and well met, my brave little spark
When members try to wiggle around the rules with technicalities. 

No more kitsune characters. Member makes a kumiho.

No kirin. Member makes qilin. 

No werewolves. Makes a wolf 'skin changer'. 

It's like...

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Chibi Magician Avatar

omg this hurt me physically lmao

This is such a pet peeve of mine, but to add onto this, I also hate when people make a character and claim an alternate age, especially on a site that doesn't allow face claim doubles. So, for example, if you're claiming... I don't know, child!Izaya Orihara I guess?, you're technically taking the face claim of Izaya away from someone else as a whole.
4,232written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
those moments when you're only in the first few sentences of an app and your only thought is this

i'm honestly not sure if this is a peeve at myself for being like this or a peeve at whoever is forcing me to read these apps with my eyeballs
last edit on Aug 23, 2018 18:22:56 GMT by Kuroya

local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
718written posts
spooky johnsonearned bits
offlinecurrently
spooky johnson
Part of the Furniture
spooky johnson Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
Kuroya Avatar
those moments when you're only in the first few sentences of an app and your only thought is this

honestly sometimes i'm not sure if this is a peeve at myself for being like this or a peeve at whoever is forcing me to read these apps with my eyeballs

ok tho this is too real

this also applies for me, writing said app tbh

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar

When someone says the headadmin/staff needs to go on an advertising spree when I'm almost always advertising and advertise through different mediums. There's only so much one can spam advertisement before before breaking rules and/or become a nuisance to others and earn their site a bad rep.

It shouldn't annoy me as much as it does. xD But it's like... you don't know what I'm doing, so don't spit on my efforts, yenno? If you want something to happen, then pitch in (and find out for yourself that it's not that easy).

last edit on Aug 24, 2018 5:27:25 GMT by Deleted
pronounsl i g h t
28written posts
Á I N Eearned bits
offlinecurrently
Á I N E
Á I N E Avatar
The famous "is this site active?" asked in the chat, because it generally leads into a situation where you end up having to pretty much explain your entire site to the new member as they begin to ask you everything that comes to mind instead of reading through the rules, plot, etc. We already have so much to do as an admin. Please just take the time to look through the information yourself first, then ask any questions you may still have.