Admin Pet-peeves

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
You don't get paid to be an admin or staff, so members shouldn't yell at you like its your job. It is a volunteer activity to help set up and facilitate a hobby, but it is not your job.

Admins need to eat, sleep, play games, go to work, chill, etc. They shouldn't be at the beck and call of the site 24/7.
aliasvee, vivi
pronounsany / they
659written posts
valkaearned bits
offlinecurrently
valka
Administrator
valka Avatar
do u know... la-hee?
iota Avatar
"is this site active?" or "people not reading the rules before they sign up and then break the first rule listed"

i literally came in here to say those things and you list them as examples, gdi

if you think i haven't been keeping up with pp, think again
pronounsany pronouns
268written posts
forteearned bits
offlinecurrently
forte
forte Avatar
baby shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo...
This is going to sound bad, but it's a pet peeve of mine when suggestions are made publicly when they're not specifically asked for. It's not the actual suggestion itself that I don't like, but the fact that it usually picks up as a conversation topic, members start having a debate, and then people get invested in whether the suggestion gets implemented or not. Maybe I'm just an anxious wreck or something, but I find that kind of scenario stressful and disheartening — especially when I can't/won't be able to do what the majority wants.

Luckily, that hasn't happened on my current site, but it's happened a lot when I've been a staff member on sites in the past.

... So yeah, bless all you members that word your suggestions in not-stressful ways and send them via pm/dm.
pronounsshe/her
328written posts
Mizoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Mizo
Mizo Avatar
If you are reading this, I am beautiful.
  • When members bring their personal lives and woes to constantly talk about in the cbox to the point where it makes everyone feel bad and unwilling to speak in the cbox. I can't stand it when people do it all the time, because it somehow forces me to be responsible for their woes and problems.

• Expanding on my first point; when members treat me like their parents and I have to take responsibility for their actions, and somehow, their lives, even though I'm an eighteen year old that fucks up every 2 hours because I'm dumb

• When members expect admins to automatically get what is wrong. Like sure, I get than you don't like Sharon, but goddamit Karen, I wouldn't know about your problem #97 with her, much less fix it for you.

• When members try overly hard to suck up to admins? Like hey, yeah thanks, I know I'm really wonderful, but you're scaring me with your 1000 compliments.

• When members break a rule, and they try to argue their way out of it by pointing out loopholes. It makes me want to crack my head open on something.

• When members fuck up a code or remove something and then bitch about how difficult it is to use template even after I posted step by step instructions on how to use i- I can see the half template table, BARBARA.

• When members keep complaining about using templates even though it's not a rule.

• When members complain about other members not using templates even though it's not a rule.

• When members use the cbox as their personal matchmaking service .

• When members don't rEAD tHE RuLES

last edit on Jul 27, 2018 1:06:32 GMT by Mizo

Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,750written posts
Chibi Magicianearned bits
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
When members do not read the plot/lore. Thus I have to explain that a certain occurrence is impossible because of one of the important plot points. Then they ask for a link to the plot, provide a quick "Oh, nice plot." (compliment is still appreciated nonetheless of course) while I am wondering why it was not one of the initial reads... x.x
last edit on Jul 27, 2018 2:33:12 GMT by Chibi Magician
UMBRA
ic for a dystopian fantasy role-play
pronounsany pronouns
268written posts
forteearned bits
offlinecurrently
forte
forte Avatar
iota Avatar
forte Avatar
...when suggestions are made publicly when they're not specifically asked for...
At a site I once staffed at, we had a similar issue. Some very loud/vocal people would make demands on the cbox, and we would try to fulfill those demands. Even when we did fulfill them, they were never satisfied. For my current site, I set up a Questions & Suggestions forum with rules on what's allowed. So, people at my site can thread suggestions publicly and talk about it amongst themselves, and then I can consider it. I also allow them to PM me if they're not comfortable publicly suggesting. However, I put up a disclaimer that not all suggestions would be implemented. I've not had any suggestion issues on my forum. In fact, no one even uses our Q&S forum or makes suggestions in the cbox.
If it helps, perhaps you can include a disclaimer like that if it helps with the anxiety.

pronounsany pronouns
268written posts
forteearned bits
offlinecurrently
forte
forte Avatar
iota Avatar
Oops, I guess I made a public suggestion. :P Sorry. I meant no harm by it, merely that I could relate in certain circumstances. Edit: I deleted it for you. I didn't realise it applied off your site.

alsdflsdjkflsahdffASHDFLAHSDF

Dw! It doesn't. I was just sitting over here laughing at the irony of it and wanted to give you a hard time. Looking back, I guess the gif could come off as paggro, but I absolutely didn't mean it that way; sorry I caused a misunderstanding.
Admin Pet-peeves written Jul 27, 2018 2:21:17 GMT via mobile
Dark Empress
aliasYuki
pronounsshe/her
398written posts
Empress Yukiearned bits
offlinecurrently
Empress Yuki
Empress Yuki Avatar
Do you think we can be just like you?
When someone tries to change the lore to fit their character vision or whatever the hell it is they created. Lore shouldn't be change unless of if eventa occured that add or subtract something on the lore.

I hate these kind of people since it feels like they trampled all the hardwork the staff team put creating such lore.
pronounsshe/her
35written posts
finleyearned bits
offlinecurrently
finley
finley Avatar
The thing that irritates me the most is when regular members mini-mod in the cbox or discord servers, especially when a staff member is actively fielding questions already. On one hand, I get that some people are genuinely trying to be helpful. But, on the other hand I feel like it doesn't make for great representation of the site's community if and when the staff have to correct what the mini-modding member said because it can come off as confrontational. And, sometimes people who mini-mod just use it as a chance to plug their own characters or plots without really helping out, and it feels like the spotlight matters more to them than being friendly. 
2written posts
meiaearned bits
offlinecurrently
meia
meia Avatar
First post on this site, going in full speed ahead lol

Pretty much what said, regarding those who make story/site heavy suggestions in chat boxes rather than directly contacting staff with their ideas. In my past experiences, the suggestions that had come in that way were usually of a well-meaning nature but man did it put an immediate spotlight on how to approach responding in front of multiple chat participants and onlooking lurkers. It becomes more so of an open discussion for something potentially site-altering before the staff has an opportunity to mull it over, thus leaving more room for disappointment if things don't turn out a certain way.

Don't get me wrong, though. Enthusiasm and a desire for collaboration from members when tackling role plays is amazing. Some advice or suggestions in the chat box/discord isn't a bad thing either. Better yet: when that enthusiasm is translated into fluent and reliable activity on the boards.

I guess that leads into another peeve of mine. Those who talk all kinds of excitement of doing this or that for a plot involving various role players, getting them hyped and invested, but then vanishing altogether and leaving those members feeling unfulfilled and hanging. It worries me that it'll have a domino-effect of causing others to leave due to that 'void' being left behind.