pronounsany / they
659written posts
valkaearned bits
offlinecurrently
valka
Administrator
valka Avatar
do u know... la-hee?

people not following instructions. specifically, the massive bold instructions that say "post in code tags!" when posting a claim, or, "remove the asterisk in the code tags!" and ... people don't. thus leading me having to waste my time going to edit their post so i can grab the claim without bold tags becoming, y'know, bold, etc.

seriously, the more this happens, the more tempted i get to a) up the size of the bold instructions to size 100px and b) delete their post and not add their claim. the latter doesn't sit entirely right with me but People Be Pushin' Me

if you think i haven't been keeping up with pp, think again
pronounsshe / her
12written posts
worldiezillaearned bits
offlinecurrently
worldiezilla
worldiezilla Avatar
When members can't be timely. :C It's very tedious to give out five billion reminders on the site, tag people, make announcements in the group chat, and have some people still miss the Activity Check when they're still chatting? Just give me some indication you know there's an AC going on and that I'm not going to patiently wait months for you to finally take an absence or make a post. x__x
last edit on Jul 27, 2018 4:25:10 GMT by worldiezilla
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
finley Avatar
The thing that irritates me the most is when regular members mini-mod in the cbox or discord servers, especially when a staff member is actively fielding questions already. On one hand, I get that some people are genuinely trying to be helpful. But, on the other hand I feel like it doesn't make for great representation of the site's community if and when the staff have to correct what the mini-modding member said because it can come off as confrontational. And, sometimes people who mini-mod just use it as a chance to plug their own characters or plots without really helping out, and it feels like the spotlight matters more to them than being friendly. 

This is especially worse when it isn't in the cbox; when a site has a forum area for an FAQ, or a Discord channel for it, and members still answer - or even better, answer with noncommittal stuff like I THINK they said it was XXX......

At that point, just let staff handle it, please.
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Mizo Avatar
  • When members bring their personal lives and woes to constantly talk about in the cbox to the point where it makes everyone feel bad and unwilling to speak in the cbox. I can't stand it when people do it all the time, because it somehow forces me to be responsible for their woes and problems.

• Expanding on my first point; when members treat me like their parents and I have to take responsibility for their actions, and somehow, their lives, even though I'm an eighteen year old that fucks up every 2 hours because I'm dumb

• When members expect admins to automatically get what is wrong. Like sure, I get than you don't like Sharon, but goddamit Karen, I wouldn't know about your problem #97 with her, much less fix it for you.

• When members try overly hard to suck up to admins? Like hey, yeah thanks, I know I'm really wonderful, but you're scaring me with your 1000 compliments.

• When members break a rule, and they try to argue their way out of it by pointing out loopholes. It makes me want to crack my head open on something.

• When members fuck up a code or remove something and then bitch about how difficult it is to use template even after I posted step by step instructions on how to use i- I can see the half template table, BARBARA.

• When members keep complaining about using templates even though it's not a rule.

• When members complain about other members not using templates even though it's not a rule.

• When members use the cbox as their personal matchmaking service .

• When members don't rEAD tHE RuLES

I wish I could like this 1000 times!! 

When members who are good friend's expect to not have to read any information on the site and expect to be exempt from all rules.  

352written posts
vonearned bits
offlinecurrently
von
von Avatar
when someone made a a suggestion in a lore-heavy and systems-heavy site wherein the change is actually quite impossible or would throw a lot of rpers/threads/the whole site off for the reason that they like their system/lore better than the original. Therefore the site should apply it for them..... then act bratty if the admins tell them their suggestions would be impossible bc of various rational reasons.

I find that if you don't really like a system for the site and that it's virtually impossible to change them at a point wherein they've actually started opening and utilizing the said system/lore, you should just make another site that fits your system more. It's not really a bad thing, really. I get it some admins can sound mean by saying it, but some sites can't just be flexible.

also this: you should register in all lowercase

moments later you see: Albus Dumbledore, RIck riordan, HARRY POTTER.
srsly, the last one is jsut a big 'fuck u' for the rulemakers.
last edit on Jul 27, 2018 12:19:53 GMT by von
pronounsgoddess
454written posts
pixie pieearned bits
offlinecurrently
pixie pie
pixie pie Avatar
flare Avatar
when someone doesn't come out of guest/anonymous when talking bad about your site or trying to give suggestions. i am sorry but your criticism is not valid if you can't even take responsibility for your words, thanks.

This so much lol If you had the gull to go out of your way to be ugly to someone - at least have the courage to show face.
540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
von Avatar

why not just text transform the CSS for the way displayed names look?
pronounsany
297written posts
flareearned bits
offlinecurrently
flare
flare Avatar
rp is supposed to be fun, remember
Sharp Avatar
von Avatar

afaik there are things that you cannot style with css, as an example "active threads" on jcink denies customisation as of now. (although john is working on it)
540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
flare Avatar
Sharp Avatar
afaik there are things that you cannot style with css, as an example "active threads" on jcink denies customisation as of now. (although john is working on it)

Ahhhhhhhh right, I see that now looking at an old concept I didn't finish.
352written posts
vonearned bits
offlinecurrently
von
von Avatar
Sharp Avatar
von Avatar

no but the ESSENCE of that rule was so that the admins would know u've read the rules......

It usually goes like this: you should register in all lowercase so we know you've read the rules.

also active threads can be customized on css but the code isnt given on the regular stylesheets. any HTML on jcink can be manipulated.
last edit on Jul 27, 2018 15:14:52 GMT by von
Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,786written posts
Chibi Magicianearned bits
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
I have a few more I thought of...

When members expect staff to be 100% perfect and make no errors. Especially when they get angry and argue over it. Please, remember we are human too.

When members don't ask questions when they are confused/don't understand something. We attempt to make places where members can ask questions to their hearts desire. This especially becomes an issue when they start making assumptions on the unknown topic.

When members ask for opinions and then get angry when provided constructive criticism. I will include when members get angry over application requirements and feedback when corrections need making because the character is over-powered, not meeting minimums, or impossible events from lore/plot information. This one is also for when I am a member, but I dislike seeing it as staff more, mostly because I have witness is upset and deter members.

ic for a dystopian fantasy role-play
the endless hunt
aliasleto, blobert, crow
pronounshe / they
1,370written posts
ullaearned bits
offlinecurrently
ulla
Administrator
ulla Avatar
in turning divine, we tangle endlessly
eliza Avatar
this thread: [exists]
mods:

i ugly laughed really hard because i genuinely did open this thread sweating bullets, but everyone seems to be handling it really civilly and i'm proud of you all

anyway, i have a couple pet peeves which i think have been touched on in this thread already but:

- when guests jump into the cbox with the classic "so what's this site about?" instead of bothering to read the informational threads i spent half my life force writing

- when i'm alerted to a problem but not given any info on what the problem is. like pls don't just sent me a screenshot of this paragraph and not tell me where the typo is. i know it's there bc i suck, but obviously i don't know where otherwise it wouldn't be there. hlep
pronounsSHE/HER
76written posts
murkearned bits
offlinecurrently
murk
murk Avatar
there are two that really get to me.

- when a guest/new member joins the cbox/discord and asks a question in regards to the site that is word for word in the rules/plot/other info threads. i get wanting to feel out the community before joining, i do not understand joining before reading anything informational. i get posing questions in regards to the information threads like 'why did you decide to use this location for the rp?' but not something as simple as 'can i use rl face claims?'

- when someone puts together an application that looks as though it has taken them a lot of time and effort to put together, with it being lengthy and it has thought out symbolism w/ew/e the member decides to put in. but you have to pend it. because it breaks site lore or guidelines or because the character is just simply too op. when you try to elaborate in the pending message that you're genuinely just trying to get the character up to fitting within guidelines and then the person just ghosts bc they got pended. ;-; just let me help you.

a hybrid of both: when people put a lot of time and effort into applications and it becomes increasingly clear that they didn't read any information beforehand due to the way they present information.

ik these sound specific but they aren't. ;; it just hurts me man.
( hover )
352written posts
vonearned bits
offlinecurrently
von
von Avatar
iota Avatar
I involuntarily made a "rule" like this, and basically... my rule was "register your OOC account first, it's mandatory." It was the first rule in the rules, and so many people would ignore it and jus tmake an OOC first. So, I could tell they didn't read the rules...

However, it later became clear that was not always the case. A lot of people did read the rules (I could tell after they immediately mentioned something else that was in the rules), but there was an issue with either skimming or "blind formatting," basically the eyes naturally scroll over something. So, I changed the formatting a little, and I've had less issues since. Personally, I'm so accustomed to signing-up all uppercase because that's what I always do (I don't require it at my site, I just like how uniform it is on the drop menu XD) that I accidentally did that at a site that required lowercase even though I read the rules! It was an immediate "DOH!"

So, this "trick" is not fool proof no matter what.
rip tho bc the skin on header has it yet the problem still occurs. I dont get the excuse of /skimming/ bc just whyyy?? it's a rule and a broken rule is a broken rule. If the member made a serious problem and made an excuse of 'oh i missed it sorry', it doesn't sound right.

it's just there so that i would know those who skimmed/didnt read. And I can even relate to people who've registered in all uppercase or in sentence case and then changed it immediately. But it's quite abnormal for it to persist in, like, a day to a week after registration. But i'm pretty patient with people who dont do the all lowercase/uppercase rule and instead PM them about it. But at the same time, you'll be astonished as to the amount of people who just skims/pass through rules.
last edit on Jul 27, 2018 16:40:00 GMT by von