Admin Pet-peeves

pronounsThey/Them
28written posts
aniearned bits
offlinecurrently
ani
ani Avatar
Oh, I've got a good one:

How about the number of people who come on to my sites, ask me if the admin account is "multiple people" because of the they/them pronouns, then get snooty when I tell them I'm one person.

Or how about the number of people who come into the cbox, make a point of telling me they won't be joining because we're "a bunch of SJWs" and that our fake genders are "ruining the site" and then leave.

Or how about the people who try to make characters who are bigoted as all get out to hide their OOC/real life opinions, which are just as bad.

I've run plenty of sites in the last four years, and this happens multiple times on every site I run. And that's not including the people who join, act nice, then start constantly misgendering myself and my other non-binary staffers, or pick fights over gender and sexuality when they see, in the first rule, that I only run inclusive, open-minded sites.

"It's just my opinion!" you don't get to spew opinions that are genuinely hateful. Go away.

pronounsThey/Them
28written posts
aniearned bits
offlinecurrently
ani
ani Avatar
iota Avatar

...Who does that? I don't even understand that mentality. Fortunately, I've never faced that issue (I don't disclose any gender/pronouns on my profiles so maybe that's why) but I can't even... imagine. Are you sure you don't know these people and they're just bullies/trolls from your past? Either way, it's probably time to block - and maybe check if they're using proxies.

Oh I have. I've blocked, I've tracked, I've made sure it's not the same people. If it was, I'd care a whole lot less. Trolls are easy compared to this.

Some people just love to be close-minded assholes. And personally, I disclose pronouns because my pronouns are important to me and my identity and I don't want them erased. A lot of the time it's just people from other sites who are just grumpy because the admin isn't someone they can "relate" to, as if my being non-binary has anything to do with my personality beyond "hey, it's they/them, not anything else, stop that."
last edit on Aug 6, 2018 22:05:53 GMT by ani
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar

I have a big whole list of pet peeves that I have gathered across the years of being an admin, and they have made me into the salty admin I am today. I don't have nearly the patience as I used to, and I certainly do not walk on eggshells with my community. It took me a long time to finally wake up and realize that I don't have to cater to my members.

Anyways.

My largest pet peeve that takes the #1 spot is those members that will publicly and/or privately tell you they don't like recent updates or changes. Giving heavy criticism ( and most of the time be very rood about it ), and give NO, ZERO, NADA suggestions.

These types of members don't take into regards why staff makes systems the way they are, and certainly don't think, "maybe its this way because of THIS," etc. They have a tendency to be selfish, and just down right come up with the line, "I don't like it because I can't do THIS with my character," or something similar. They also have zero appreciation for any work or time that staff spends on the site. Being an admin/staff member is a thankless job, we all are aware of this. But these members really make it worse for us.

I don't mind criticism, --but you better bring a dish to the cookout in return. Otherwise your opinions, and you, can bugger off.

pronounsshe/her
81written posts
Lacunaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Lacuna
Lacuna Avatar
we're all dancing to the same sad song
When someone asks a series of questions that aren't even about unfilled lore holes but basically boil down to "hey, can you make my character for me?"

I really don't know how to respond to this idea fishing other than "be creative and make what you want" and I'd probably sound like a smartass. :weary:
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
Lacuna Avatar
When someone asks a series of questions that aren't even about unfilled lore holes but basically boil down to "hey, can you make my character for me?"

I really don't know how to respond to this idea fishing other than "be creative and make what you want" and I'd probably sound like a smartass. :weary:

This is exactly what I do. Embrace the smartass
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Selfish members, a little intense perhaps and hopefully rare but the type that join, take over and act as if its their site.  Or members that can't leave quietly, okay sad you want to leave but why do you have to try and trash the site around down my feet when you do. Just the centre of attention types I guess I'm trying to say!!!! 

and the dramatic drama queens. They make everything an effort, like pulling teeth really. Small bickering about pointless subjects but just doing it for the sake of causing a scene. 

phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,234written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
> cbox with members chatting in it
> site with posts made today
guest: "is this site active"

but also real talk about "awwwww my claim is taken!" just. son. please don't. it sucks when your claims are taken, but like. can you not? i am not going to boot someone off a claim just because you want it, and no, complaining about it publicly will not make the claim magically open. and imo it's just entitled to expect for someone to go "oh sorry let me give you the claim i was using!" because you're whining about it. not to mention it's just rude to whoever currently has the claim.

every time either of these things happen, it takes 10 years off my life.

edit: i decided to come back to add

1) having to chase after members for activity checks. like just. bruh. bruh. i know you're active. you know you're active. you know how the rules work. just post in the hecking check. heck man, i don't even care if you meet the post requirements right now, you can edit the op, just post. i can't do anything to save you if you don't post.

2) when you're on a staff team of 3+ people but you're the only one who gets any work done in this dang house.

3) not getting to have a personal opinion anymore in public. like i know it's weird to think about but. like. just for example, i don't like the fact that disney's bought fox because i have problems with how the mcu is taking things right now and because the x-men tend to get shafted a lot when combined with the wider marvelverse and because i like variety in my life when it comes to superhero movies. i'm not trying to ruin anyone's day with that opinion, i respect how people are excited, and imo, there's some things i'm excited at the idea of too (i mean, hello, magneto having a hero crush on captain america, deadpool actually being able to interact with spiderman, sign me up????????). i just. miss the ability to voice a negative opinion about something without having people be turned off or think i hate it when i really don't. #staffarepeopletoo
last edit on Aug 12, 2018 17:53:11 GMT by Kuroya

Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,778written posts
Chibi Magicianearned bits
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
So here are some non-member related ones I thought of and decided to post here for fun.

When you code something then suddenly the code decides not to work properly or as attended. x.x Why do you hate me so much site code?! General glitches too that go unnoticed until they occur, since I notice it and freak like "OOOOH I NEED TO FIIIIX THAT!" Mind you, this is probably just because I am... um... maybe mediocre at coding?

When you are in the middle of coding or assisting the member and the internet/power suddenly decides to go out. Leaves me standing there cursing my troublesome internet for deciding to be evil; usually my net. It always seems to be in the middle of me doing something important to which sucks.

When you code something you think will be interesting only to discover it is a major eye sore. ;D Put all this effort into it only to discover it is horrible, wonderful.

Edit: Missed one.

When you are looking through code for an error or to edit something and just can't find it. Makes me feel so blind, especially since it is usually right where it should be. x.x
last edit on Aug 12, 2018 22:59:43 GMT by Chibi Magician

ic for a dystopian fantasy role-play
Admin Pet-peeves written Aug 13, 2018 5:19:40 GMT via mobile
pronounsshe/her
81written posts
Lacunaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Lacuna
Lacuna Avatar
we're all dancing to the same sad song
Seeing snippets of your rules/info copied word for word on other sites. Better yet if the whole site is basically a discount version of yours.

Happened to me multiple times now and while it's not enough to be worth pursuing, it's still a huge pissoff??
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
I get excited very easily and sometimes I worry if I'm being really overbearing, but it's like, no stay, let me love you and I want to do all the things with you and here are all the things you can do and I have all these characters let's make a million threads and it'll be great. @_@ So I try to hold back so I don't scare off literally every person, but it's hard and it makes me sad because I really do just want to do all the things. :<
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Kitten4u Avatar
I get excited very easily and sometimes I worry if I'm being really overbearing, but it's like, no stay, let me love you and I want to do all the things with you and here are all the things you can do and I have all these characters let's make a million threads and it'll be great. @_@ So I try to hold back so I don't scare off literally every person, but it's hard and it makes me sad because I really do just want to do all the things. :<

Let me quote you a thousand times, Kitty, cuz this ^ so applies to me as well. XD I've accidentally overwhelmed some newbies in the past with posting speed and excitement and such... ;;

I also talk way too much in the chat. ;; I think I've scared off some newbies before with how chatty I am. Makes me a little worried as well. xD "AM I TALKING TOO MUCH? AM I TALKING TOO MUCH? YOU CAN TELL ME IF I'M TALKING TOO MUCH! /Met by crickets...Frets even more SO TALKS EVEN MORE because that's Iota's response to being awkward apparently/" Sometimes I wish I could just stop being so awkward, hahaha.

pronounsgoddess
454written posts
pixie pieearned bits
offlinecurrently
pixie pie
pixie pie Avatar
Members who tend to blame their lack of activity on the fact that no one will plot with them when they haven't attempted to engage anyone. They don't speak or attempt to even take part in site events, chats or even try to plot with other people first. If you are on a roleplaying site - you sort of choose your own level of involvement. There is only so much that staff can do for you - to top it off - staff is trying to run a site and sometimes are busy with making events or keeping the site afloat so sometimes those quiet members go unnoticed - which is horrible on both sides really but yeah. I feel horrible when people leave when they say they didn't feel "included"...
last edit on Aug 13, 2018 12:51:28 GMT by pixie pie