aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Aki
pronounsAny
4,224written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
onlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
My brain woke up and chose admin work today. So I redid a whole skin for the springtime, made a bunch of directory lists, made preps to clean the boards. Edited census's signed people up for things. And it's only 4:30 in the after noon. .-. admin work done for two whole sites now what do I do?

stultifera navis
aliasnines
pronounsshe/her
568written posts
ninelieearned bits
offlinecurrently
ninelie
Part of the Furniture
ninelie Avatar
VOLITION [Medium: Success]
hyphen Avatar
That moment when you're trying not to be too lore heavy but at the same time you feel like it's important info that can add some spice to the site :crying:
Do it anyway. Ignore all those naysayers who keep clamoring "i hate sites with lore that don't serve a purpose" and live your best life.

In my experience, it's always better to have a bit more than too little because then your #questions channel on Discord will be very busy with a lot of folks interested in wanting to know more.

I do understand that in general, it's good to have a balance of enough lore to keep your audience engaged, and having your players feel confident they can plug in the small, minor gaps in the plot with their own interpretations that aren't too wildly off-tangent on the site's thematics. 

In addendum to that confession: having a channel or thread dedicated to site lore is cool for further elaboration and discussion that won't clog up the more general help or questions channel/thread.

last edit on Feb 19, 2022 19:20:00 GMT by ninelie

hover + icon by 旳---
Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,224written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
onlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
Lore is the bane of my existence, because I have so freaking much. But I don't feel like writing out a literal novel right now so people just gotta deal with asking questions and getting answers.

the chalk prince
aliasyuan
pronounsthey / them
978written posts
yuanearned bits
offlinecurrently
yuan
Part of the Furniture
yuan Avatar
existential execution is just a fluke in evolution.
AkiraTsunami Avatar
Lore is the bane of my existence, because I have so freaking much. But I don't feel like writing out a literal novel right now so people just gotta deal with asking questions and getting answers.
this is why having more than one person to help with creating lore and maintaining lore records is important. no one person should be doing it by themself.
aliaspor, sef, jdawg
pronounsshe | her
549written posts
porsefearned bits
offlinecurrently
porsef
Part of the Furniture
porsef Avatar
chichi wo moge
AkiraTsunami Avatar

i will always say that you do a really good job in regards to that.

but i relate. my site had a pretty extensive lore background and it was a lot to get down, too much even.
aliasmany - just ask!
pronounsShe/They
212written posts
eulalieearned bits
offlinecurrently
eulalie
eulalie Avatar
Let the mighty be humbled.
i just want to do link backs easily.... why can't these ads include the advertisement board easier? ah well. *pulls pants up* back to work, even if it's slightly annoying. ; A ;

in good news, we're talking about an event for our members! so, that's much better news lol
446written posts
wolfeearned bits
offlinecurrently
wolfe
wolfe Avatar
Gonna comment on the beginning of the month discussion on creating sites/startup phase because I'm a month late and want to throw in my two cents anyway.

I legit think that people let all the BS and fluff get in the way of their core understanding on what an admin's job is. You don't need a lot of good plot ideas to be a long lasting, successful admin. You can crowdsource that, and there's no reason why that crowdsourcing needs to be with other staff who sit on their hands the rest of the time. You don't need to be a skilled coder/skinner because you can always commission. You don't even need to be a good writer, frankly, because that's not the admin's role. Your role is to be a project manager and get shit done. You need to be able to manage expectations, mediate conflict, set and achieve goals, as well as delegate and accomplish tasks. You are responsible for achieving the goals you set, and sitting on your hands when someone flakes on a task you assigned means you need to do it because the buck stops with you.

It's boring and thankless day to day work and a lot of people flake on parts or all of it. Everyone has parts of those day to day tasks they hate and flake on more than others, and for me it's advertising -- which, surprise surprise is one of the most important parts of the staffer's job.

It's like if you don't take out the trash for six months and go all surprised pikachu face that your house is filled with trash bags and your house smells so bad no words in the English language can describe it properly. There are routine tasks that need done consistently or they will pile up and eventually get so bad it causes site death.

Some shit is outside of your control, but controlling the parts you can control means good luck has a much better chance of hitting you because you're around longer to soak it up when it happens.
Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,224written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
onlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've had one of my two sites open for 3 years now, and the other one open less than a month. We've got decent amounts of traffic to both. As a practically solo admin, I have to agree that I do pretty much all the things. My staff and 'fake staff' are around to answer questions and approve the occasional app, maybe do some advertising. But otherwise everything else is pretty much done by me.

HOWEVER!

I do often run with member ideas. Someone throws something out there and if it's a good enough idea it gets added to the site plot. You can't have a successful rp if you do not include your members?? I often do ask for their ideas and what they want to see around the place. Sometimes it gets added, sometimes it doesn't, but it ain't just about what the staff wants. Sometimes members have great ideas, and you gotta be willing to be flexible enough to add them in.

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
sometimes i allow myself a waiting period before linking back/adding affiliates because a) advertising is my least favourite admin task so i procrastinate and b) there are certain chronic site openers that get bored/close their sites within like 2 weeks and i don't wanna go through the hassle of adding an aff then immediately removing an aff or advertising somewhere that no one's gonna ever see it in like 3 days. i don't like wasting my time.
pronounshe, him
561written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
marmie Avatar
sometimes i allow myself a waiting period before linking back/adding affiliates because a) advertising is my least favourite admin task so i procrastinate and b) there are certain chronic site openers that get bored/close their sites within like 2 weeks and i don't wanna go through the hassle of adding an aff then immediately removing an aff or advertising somewhere that no one's gonna ever see it in like 3 days. i don't like wasting my time.

Waiting a few weeks to link back is a great strategy for advertising to new sites because that’s when the new site smell starts wearing off and people start churning.
Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,224written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
onlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
Advertising is also the bane of my existence. The people that actually enjoy doing advertising, 9 times outta 10 will be added to my staff for literally no other reason.

phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,363written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
personally, my goal with advertising is to advertise "smarter", not "harder"....... which is just a fancy way of saying that i try to focus my advertising on "similar" sites to mine, because that's where i'm more likely to get recruitment over general traffic.

think of it as kind of like a book club - just as you wouldn't really want to recommend a gritty grimdark tale of high fantasy political intrigue to a bunch of romance readers or nonfiction enthusiasts, you don't really want to advertise your cutesy animanga modern fantasy site to a ton of real life fc sites or a bunch of stat-driven sites because your main audience just isn't likely to be there. (in all honesty, i find fc medium to be the biggest factor in this consideration for an animanga site, but it does play a factor in terms of various preferences as well, like host or skill level or speed preferences.)

though tbeh, i also think all the recruitment in the world is moot if you're not doing anything to actually retain those new members once you recruit them, but i digress
last edit on Feb 27, 2022 0:54:40 GMT by Kuroya

pronounshe/him
792written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
considering my site has only grown from word-of-mouth, directories, and affiliates, I honestly just have not bothered advertising in a while and should have just deleted my advertising board already.
last edit on Feb 26, 2022 21:17:36 GMT by illidan main

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
aliasAsu
pronounsshe/her/hers
432written posts
Asuearned bits
offlinecurrently
Asu
Asu Avatar
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
It's been so liberating to simply let people create new things and run wild with new ideas. I've done both lore heavy and lore relaxed and man I just feel way more relaxed. Do as you please, feel free to add to our world, if you want a fuller experience you can ask us for consequences-- otherwise, simply be and I shall be content. I loved working on my own intricate lore, but for some reason, the world feels like it breathes more when we're all working on it together.