Reality /// \\\ Dreaming

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar

Once upon a dream the world breathed life into fiction, into our imaginations.

No one is sure where or how it began and that is a matter lost to the wayside. The anomaly causing this phenomena has brought greater matters to the forefront, for just as our greatest dreams have become reality so have our greatest nightmares.

It is theorized that 'dreamers' see something the rest of the world doesn't, they tap into something and draw beings of their imagination across 'the veil' into reality. These dreams are tied to them, at first they are nothing more than an essence of something that the dreamer has seen in their minds eye. A dream is nothing without its dreamer to shape it, if they do not the dream will fade not just from reality but from the mind of the dreamer as well, eventually lost forever. Though sentient dreams can live a life separate from their dreamer they will feel weaker the further away they are. In this manner they are tied to each other as long as the dream still exists within reality.

Dreams and dreamers are a part of each other in a way, though the dream is now real it is still tied to the mind of its dreamer, no other will know them better. The same goes for the dream, who can see all the pieces of their dreamers mind just the same.

The limitlessness of dreams gives way, the crack they have left in the veil allows the corrupted nightmares to cross. As a result nightmares have begun to terrorize the populace, often seeking their dreamer to shape and quiet them. Some can be shaped into a new dream, others are mindless beasts best quieted and sent back across the veil. The only ones that have been able to do so are dreams and their dreamers, some step up to the challenge, others hide away with their dreams waiting for reality to wake up again.

Reality /// \\\ Dreaming would be a an original modern fantasy rp in which character choices, species and race will be almost completely open- limited by ones imagination only and typical rules of common decency.

This will be a jcink hosted animanga rp if i get it finished.

Character groups will primarily contain 3-4 groups I haven't fully decided.

Dreamers: Human only, the humans whose dreams have become reality, dreams are bound to their dreamer and without them they cease to exist. Dreamers will have 'ranks' determined by the amount of dreams they have and are able to sustain.

Dreams: The characters and creatures that are tied to a dreamer, they always know who their dreamer is and can tell where they are at all times. They must be properly shaped by their dreamer in order to exist past a couple of weeks and should they ever slip from the mind of their dreamer they will fade form reality forever. Dreams will be noted by different 'types' depending on what they are but will be the most open group- even a 'god' or 'diety' may be played in this group. Limitations will be set by their dreamers capacity and decency and respect for other players.

Nightmares?: Bad dreams, they come in a variety of forms, some are mindless beasts at best, some are entities of our childhood that scared us more than anything else in the world come back to haunt us. The latter would be the form that is playable by members, lesser nightmares would exist mainly as npc.

Sleepers?: Humans who have not awakened and brought their dreams to life, some see it as blessing as it frees them from the responsibility of a wayward dream- others see it as a curse as they have no natural protection from the nightmares run rampant and must rely on the help of dreamers should on chase them down. They are capable of becoming dreamers- but only once they embrace their own mind and tap into the veil like dreamers do.

Dreams and dreamers: There will be certain things like 'shaping the dream' that can be played out ICly if a member would like but wont be required and are more for world lore purposes than anything else. Dreams will be welcome to have their dreamer be an npc if they wish but dreams will need to be a logged character to participate in events and the like. This is to help keep tabs on dreams themselves and be sure that they are acting with respect to each other and each others story rather than a dreamer just suddenly having an allmighty god smiting the world. Not because you can't have an all mighty god smiting the world but because I would prefer you not pull one out your ass because you're losing a fight you shouldn't have started in the first place without a dream.

spectres: Spectres or the 'first dream' are animals with an ethereal or ghostlike appearance. These spectres are always the first dream a dreamer has and are sort of like a familiar. These spectres are primarily protective in purpose towards their dreamer and do not need to be shaped by the dreamer. They do not talk or seem to be anything more than an pet in behavior. Under dire circumstances they are capable of summoning up a single ability/power to protect the dreamer. The animal will be chosen by the player, I haven't decided for sure about the ability because their point will be to be kind of dramatic, ranging from a pet cat creating a giant barrier to a lion with a paralyzing time stopping roar. It is theorized that the spectres may be the cause of the anomaly bringing fiction to reality due to their attachment and protectiveness of the dreamers. It is unknown what happens to them if a dreamer dies

Setting will most likely be a city or town sort of area, I haven't fully decided. I want something fairly centralized and not too wide spread but I'm open to ideas. It's probably the part I'm the most uncertain with general lorey stuff right now.

I'm hesitant to make a system but I also want ways to keep people engaged with the general idea of the site. There will be a preinstalled organization that seeks out dreamers to help combat the nightmares and rogue groups will be greatly encouraged. I want to put in some small stuff to start a rolling ball but not so much that people don't have room to build upon the premise themselves with which is ultimately what I'd like to encourage.

I'm open to creating a progression system but I don't want it to be overbearing as I want to focus more on the plot potential. If I did create a progression system there would be a default ability to start with dreamer ranks and the like being a little higher than normal a set amount of times just to let it be a possibility. Dreams ranks are partially tied to their dreamer bu I'd be open to giving them a separate progression field too. The idea with them is that they are capable of being anything and everything really but they can't always access all their powers to their full potential without their dreamer and ramping up tot hat potential.

rather than missions should i go progression system route I would more likely have an npc account that starts 'missions' threads at random with the prompt/goal/details for them in random boards, members join at will and once every couple of weeks or as needed new threads are created. instead of it being something people sought out its something that constantly is happening and must be dealt with. Oh you guys didn't do anything about that nightmare 3 weeks ago that was at the mayors house? Well guess what the mayor is homeless now. Good job guys. Not completely them will actively influence and change the board. Meaning that some mission threads will also be using dreams to rebuild or other sorts of things, trying to repair previously done damages. This also means the abilities of a dream can change the future look of the setting. Have a future based scientific entity rebuilding a city block? well now it looks hell syfy and the block over looks like something out of a fantasy book because dragon grandma decided on how it was going to look.

I actually really like this idea but would probably want to do a soft open beta phase for it to work out the kinks before going fully live.

Animanga in nature though with a little leeway for certain character types. Magical guardian wolf? Please try and use animanga wolf images but we can probably give a little leeway in that kind of case. Not 100% set in stone but we'll see.

Gonna be conflict heavy, death semi enabled. If you want your char to die for plot then go ahead.

Ideally I don't want to wrestle with a cbox or discord but I know most people expect that nowadays. Will probably seek out community mod to help with that stuff because I can' be present but I can't be 24/7 available. There will be a guest friendly question board if i have my way though because I like having a place where questions are logged for people to refer back to.

App variants will be by member groups and some have certain needs others don't. Only real requirement for dreams will be their 'shaping' which will be pretty freeformy. Dreamers will be a basic outline plus their spectre, nightmares will be similar to dreams and Sleepers will use the spectreless version of dreamers.

mostly sandboxy but i want to make an effort to 'officialize' things done by members and have their influence on the board made apparent. Bound to be some things triggered by staff (There will be a godzilla nightmare mark my words) but i want members creating their own groups that conflict with each other etc etc ect.

Community goal will be something in between lax and rapid pace- neither 'beginner' nor 'advanced'. I don't want to see things be so lax that nothing bloody happens but not so high stressed that even I as the admin am looking at the site and contemplating cracking my head on a wall. It will be death enabled in the sense that the site will not be setting out to kill you but you know what? if it happens it happens. My hope is to see members that want to roll with that potential and what it means for plots. This doesn't mean someone can't have a Sleeper that never gets caught up in anything but the goal will be to avoid having a Sleeper that not only never gets involved but somehow has a perfect sunshiney life despite the fact that there are giant nightmare monsters destroying everything around them.

last edit on Nov 14, 2018 2:36:41 GMT by Deleted
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Double posting because I forgot to mention it and don't want it missed- Dreams will also have a 'dream log' that will act as a species and ability sheet for dreams. This is to allow more creative freedom and if people want to have 3 different variants of vampires there can be, each with a different dream log/sheet expressing abilities and the like. Still working out the details of how I want that to work but it'll be used as a reference sheet for what a dream is capable of especially for nontraditional character types.

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar

from what i am reading of your site.... not really?

your's has basis in technology causing it whereas what i am talking about is a fantasy phenomena with a different end result from what i am seeing in your setting thread.

I can see where similarities can be drawn but even I'll admit this isn't the most original idea to begin with and I don't see why my take on it is a bubble to burst. They're not the same thing and I've never read your site because the skin hurts my eyes to look at and I only read it now to see what you were talking about.
pronounsthey/she
248written posts
sacredearned bits
offlinecurrently
sacred
sacred Avatar
Do not seek forgiveness, for it will not ease the burden. It weighs as it should.
tho there have been 3 or so other sites based on dreamer concepts and reality/unreality splits, there are rules for how to handle suspected plagiarism in place. do not blast
last edit on Nov 14, 2018 11:03:49 GMT by sacred
176written posts
zeroearned bits
offlinecurrently
zero
zero Avatar
Iโ€™d be very keen to see this site complete. The concepts sound pretty interesting and I like the ideas on how dreams and nightmares work. I also think that dream tropes are so commonly established in fiction that overlap will inevitably happen at one point or another. I hope you are able to continue this, endless!
pronounsSHE/HER
76written posts
murkearned bits
offlinecurrently
murk
murk Avatar
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Longest_Journey

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamfall:_The_Longest_Journey

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamfall_Chapters

Not to be ""that guy"" but this game franchise is only one of many examples of this supposedly plagerized idea. Some more are Legend of Korra, maybe some aspects of The Golden Compass, and literally a metric boatload of other books, comics, tv shows and movies. A lot of these maybe aren't 90% similar to your site but you can't trademark a concept like this. You don't see me barking down every open-lore modern fantasy set-in-a-fictional-city's door because -- again -- the concept that makes CT unique is not a concept that i nor valka payed to be trademarked and therefore we do not own it.

( hover )
stultifera navis
aliasnines
pronounsshe/her
538written posts
ninelieearned bits
offlinecurrently
ninelie
Part of the Furniture
ninelie Avatar
VOLITION [Medium: Success]
Most of the big Persona titles also utilize this concept, though it's not explicitly "dreams" (but moreso, a "shadow world", a "distorted place", etc.), the concept still remains the same. People's desires and emotions manifest into creatures that can interact and harm the heroes in this alternate reality. Heroes in this alternate reality manifest fantastic powers that allows them to combat against the threats the world throws at them.

Also what Endless was suggesting seemed more sandbox-y than the more lore-established, concrete setting that Surreality has to offer.
last edit on Nov 14, 2018 14:46:44 GMT by ninelie