aliasCel, Nightlock
pronounsShe/They
816written posts
CELearned bits
offlinecurrently
CEL
Part of the Furniture
CEL Avatar
i don't get angry when i'm pissed; i'm the eternal optimist.
it’s been five hours since i finished the main quest + secret ending side quest of god of war ragnarok and man. i’m still not over it.

what a game.

coming soon.
pronounshe/him
801written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
crunch Avatar
illidan main Avatar
no

i'm looking for private partners at this point, i don't mind the communication aspects and plotting. i actually think "no communication, place your characters" will lead to even more pointless meet n greets. i don't want to thread with people's randomly placed characters. i want to talk about a plot, write the plot, and not spend 3000 times playing with someone's blorbo that they had to play that i already had to go through hoops to get to thread with mine, and it's boring anyway. i want you to pitch a character idea to me and we come up with pre-connections and we ignore all the boring "establish everything" storylines.

the site i dream of is a site that doesn't allow random, unconnected characters at all and outright rejects them, like a wolf pack RP where your character needs to be related to/connected to someone else. but like i get that sort of thing is hard, especially for new members. at the same time, i kinda don't care. i am tired of randomly placing characters and seeing what sticks. i want a story at this point where everyone involved has a point. this is why i think looking for private partners is better; if they have a character they ABSOLUTELY have to play, I can then riff off them and make a character that fits their story. i don't have to care about the politics of the site and "how many characters do you have? how many face claims are you sitting on?" because i can just make the new character and not think about that aspect of things.
i actually think about this kind of thing a lot. might be better suited to its own thread rather than this one, but let's see how far i can push it

i've come to accept that pretty much every big public roleplay site that runs how you would expect an rp site to run in this day and age will inevitably become a slice-of-life sandbox if it isn't advertised as one already. "plot-driven" stuff is insanely hard because you have to imagine it like a TTRPG game, except you have around 10-20 players who don't know each other and all have their own different, sometimes outright clashing expectations/opinions for what is fun and what they wanna write, and you have a small team of GMs who also wanna be players, and the sessions never end. you just can't actively engage twenty-something people and make them all play a part in some big story without either a staff team approaching a small company in size or a time investment way higher than what is reasonable for a hobby... or if everyone has just such good chemistry with each other that there is no chance for drama to occur, but *shrek tearing piece of paper out of book* like that's ever gonna happen

the most appealing form of roleplay from both a staff and player standpoint is an open setting where people can make their own fun with some light rules on the side, and occasional events to stir up threads and provide a hook for players to incorporate into their own personal plots. this isn't really a bad way to roleplay at all, but i can understand how frustrating it is to do the same old song and dance on every goddamn site if you don't already know everyone there. in my experience, most sites that try to actively push for a sitewide plot that changes the world and incorporate player characters into it end up dying quick because of staff burnout/frustration. obviously, it's fun while it lasts to feel like you're a small part of something much larger, and some sites definitely pull it off and are able to keep a steady momentum with a sizeable community, but I consider that shit to be a herculean feat on the staff's part, definitely not the norm.

i've gotten burnt out on this kinda thing before but i ended up finding that tabletop stuff is closer to what i want when i feel like i'm apart of a cohesive long-term story with a small group of people who "get" the vibe, while public forum roleplay is more for "in the moment" writing. no thoughts, just words, pure expression.

bottom line is, you aren't alone in feeling this way. hopefully, you'll find what you're looking for

Yeah, this post is pretty accurate, and is exactly why I'm not looking for sites right now. I don't. want to write on a site. Tabletop is uniquely exhausting for me for various reasons, so that's why I'm looking for private partners. I have a partner search up right now. I don't want to write "slice of life" stuff, and it is impossible to coordinate that level of commitment outside a small, private group.

like it's not a bad way to RP but i've been through enough sites at this point where i'm tired of it. it's not holding my interest rn and I want more. hoping to find a few more partners and then i can end my searching.

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,368written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
sometimes, google, i just want to check my email from anything but my usual computer without you needing to text me

the chalk prince
aliasyuan
pronounsthey / them
978written posts
yuanearned bits
offlinecurrently
yuan
Part of the Furniture
yuan Avatar
existential execution is just a fluke in evolution.
peach Avatar
If only I could skin... I have a huge desire to make a skin dedicated to my love, Malenia... Her design deserves to be FEATURED D:<
if there's a will.. there is a way
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW