aliasCel, Nightlock
pronounsShe/They
808written posts
CELearned bits
offlinecurrently
CEL
Part of the Furniture
CEL Avatar
i don't get angry when i'm pissed; i'm the eternal optimist.
cila Avatar
CEL Avatar
a couple of ppl who know me rl: you should apply to (big design company) ! they have a couple entry jobs, good pay, and good benefits + it's up your alley
me, looking at the joblisting: ok actually i can probably do that
me, beginning the application process: ...wait i don't have a portfolio nvm
me, an hour later, after getting bored and sifting through a bunch of folders in my laptop: what do you mean i have a lot of design templates, layouts, mockups, logos, and graphics that i've done when i was bored all because i hyperfixated on my ocs? what do you mean i have what might be enough to constitute a proper portfolio--
i don't want to discourage you, but i want to save you some heartache down the road. as someone who works in the design industry, i would not recommend putting rp stuff in your professional portfolio.

they will ask you if you have rights over any art you post in your portfolio. but honestly, you should be showing mostly original work in your portfolio, because it is a showcase of your skills, not someone else's. your interviewers will always ask how much of the work you did and what was your role. if you can't answer that, then you will be straight up rejected.

there's plenty of things you can do on your own that you can put in your portfolio, like redesigns or case studies. if you put rp/oc things into your portfolio, just prepare to explain what it is and your design decisions.

honestly though i would love to see more people in the rpc become designers. happy to provide resources if people would like them!

oh no i appreciate the input fully ! i wasnt planning on involving art that wasnt made by me in the slightest; a lot of the stuff im eyeing submitting have been redesigns, custom art, vectors, templates and mockups that were made from scratch. a lot of them were just inspired / based off old characters, their storylines, and aesthetics that ive gotten the design inspiration for.

thank you so much for the heads up and input ! ill be sure to keep it all in mind should i pursue <3

coming soon.
pronounsD A R K
273written posts
offlinecurrently
Death is just a new beginning.
As someone who conducts interviews now at my new job, I can say that it's given me a new perspective. I have a sheet of question I need to go through, and throughout it 1 or 2 are crucial enough that if the candidate doesn't answer them properly, I'm to speed through the rest because they are an immediate no.

I always thought those who make site layouts/templates would excel in getting work pertaining to it because of the monumental talent they have to do what they do. But it's sad to know that the industry like so many others is not kind.
last edit on May 20, 2023 15:41:17 GMT by 𝓛𝓪𝓭𝔂 𝓐𝓭𝓲𝓻𝓪
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
aliasthat bitch.
pronouns"that bitch" still works tbh (any OK!)
551written posts
selkieearned bits
offlinecurrently
selkie
Part of the Furniture
selkie Avatar
a verb in perfect view.
cila Avatar
honestly though i would love to see more people in the rpc become designers. happy to provide resources if people would like them!
full disclosure this is /mostly/ just curiosity but what are these resources? you've got my attention LOL

i feel like i oscillate between "god i'd never want to make a living out of design/coding/etc" and "...unless" on at least a monthly basis tbh
weeping omens advertisement

all my proboards templates require the style tags plugin!
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,368written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
noire Avatar
At a con, saw one (1) Vampire Knight thing and instinctively reached for my phone all like "ooh would like this" before remembering we ain't on anything together

Congrats fam you've incepted my brain

crying yelling screaming because y'know what if i'm gonna be known for anything, it being "spitting out essays on demand about rp culture" and "how vampire knight could have been good, actually", i embrace this with my entire heart

but also yes you're right, i would have very much liked that lol

pronounsshe/they
67written posts
cilaearned bits
offlinecurrently
cila
cila Avatar
selkie Avatar

full disclosure this is /mostly/ just curiosity but what are these resources? you've got my attention LOL

i feel like i oscillate between "god i'd never want to make a living out of design/coding/etc" and "...unless" on at least a monthly basis tbh

oh hell yeah, here's what made me a better designer ^-^

books:
the design of everyday things by don norman - intro to design thinking
don't make me think by steve krug - ux (user experience) bible
designing for social change by andrew shea - thinking about designing for social good.
thinking with type by ellen lupton - in-depth look at typography and why it matters
burn your portfolio by michael janda - day to day on the life of a designer. i haven't read this tbh, but i heard it's good!

general:
the futur - discussion on the business end of creative design, especially useful for freelance.
behance and dribbble for design inspo, just don't get too caught up in the aesthetics :3c
daily ui challenge to hone and strengthen ur design skillz. i posted my challenges on instagram and that connected me with the design community at large.
cofolio for great portfolio examples

this is a great way to get started if ur lost. some of these are more for product design than graphic design, but they overlap a lot so it will make u a more well rounded designer. remember that working as a designer isn't as simple as placing pixels, it's also about layout, hierarchy, and understanding your user!! hope it helps ^-^
pronounsshe/they
67written posts
cilaearned bits
offlinecurrently
cila
cila Avatar
𝓛𝓪𝓭𝔂 𝓐𝓭𝓲𝓻𝓪 Avatar
As someone who conducts interviews now at my new job, I can say that it's given me a new perspective. I have a sheet of question I need to go through, and throughout it 1 or 2 are crucial enough that if the candidate doesn't answer them properly, I'm to speed through the rest because they are an immediate no.

I always thought those who make site layouts/templates would excel in getting work pertaining to it because of the monumental talent they have to do what they do. But it's sad to know that the industry like so many others is not kind.

sorry to double post but i just wanted to comment!

as someone who's also hired ppl i think it's a little dismissive to completely write someone off for one or two fudged questions. what if they're nervous, or what if they're bad at interviewing? and if you keep them for the rest of the interview, you're wasting everyone's time really. that's just...being a decent person imo.

and people are really talented at layouts/templates in the rpc! it's just not enough to compromise the entire skillset of what a graphic designer needs. you really need to consider things like branding & identity, logos, illustrations, and so on. it's like hiring a programmer because you can code templates! it helps, but you need a more varied skillset.

while i don't deny that the industry is tough, there are plenty of ppl who are willing to share their knowledge if you're interested in becoming a good designer!
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW